Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 24 of 25
Re: Lisbon 29 May 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 31, 2014 23:17

Powerage
mickjerome
Hi everybody,
Just back from Lisbon where i spent 4 days with Marclaff and his daughter.
On tuesday, in the aeroport we met Daryl and Chuck, good signs.
On thursday, we arrived on the place around 6 pm and we could find a nice spot on the side where we could sit and even lie.
From 6 to 12, it was very long but the bands before the Stones were quite good (Angelique Kidjo singin' Redemption song for instance).
At midnight, the night were "freezing" but our boys and particulary Mick were possessed : the atmosphere heated very quick.
The sound from our spot was fantastic (Keith's guitar high in the mix), the set list was enough surprising and Bruce of course the ice on the cake.
All in all, my best show since Bercy 2003.
For Marclaff, it was his best show since Lyon 2007 and he has seen a lot of them since.
Highlights : Jagger really into the show, interactions between the band, no mistake hearable, all the songs well played with great energy.
Downlight : M. Taylor not introduced by the other Mick sad smiley

Thanks winking smiley Yes, verry sad. sad smiley
Don't think it was any personal with Mick T - Mick J rushed through the band introduction as well. I guess it was late and somehow cold for everybody, that's why the hurry and no introduction of Mick T.
The consert itself should have started latest at 22 oc and not midnight. Everybody was tired - me inclusive. Hyde Park was much better in that respect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 23:20 by mtaylor.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:05

"...And by the way, he is NOT merely a "special guest", he is a former band member. Big difference between Mick Taylor and Taylor Swift, though they get the same allotment of songs (1)..."

Of course there is big difference between Mick Taylor and any guest, 71 Tele. That's why Mick Taylor has a role EVERY night, peforming two songs with the band he left 40 years ago. Why on earth a FORMER band's member should have a bigger role? I don't see "punishments" here. On contraty, i see a generous band's kidness to him. Yes, i mean it.

Enough of that "Taylor wailing" on this board! Since 1974 Taylor was living in an (almost absolute) artistical obscurity. Since 2012, thanks to the Stones he is somewhere in the artistical "map", again. God, from O2 gigs until today Taylor has already played in front of 900,000 people (Glastonbury included), which means 10, or 20, or even more times bigger attendance than what he had on his entire "carreer", in the years 1974- 2012... Thanks to the Stones, so many people are remembering him now and others - probably newer - are knowing that he does exist. And you tell me they're "punishing" him??? He should be grateful...

(And yes, the Stones remain an excellent band with or without him. IMO. But let's discuss it on another thread)

Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: June 1, 2014 00:33

Posted by: titzou ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:41

laertisflash
"...And by the way, he is NOT merely a "special guest", he is a former band member. Big difference between Mick Taylor and Taylor Swift, though they get the same allotment of songs (1)..."

Of course there is big difference between Mick Taylor and any guest, 71 Tele. That's why Mick Taylor has a role EVERY night, peforming two songs with the band he left 40 years ago. Why on earth a FORMER band's member should have a bigger role? I don't see "punishments" here. On contraty, i see a generous band's kidness to him. Yes, i mean it.

Enough of that "Taylor wailing" on this board! Since 1974 Taylor was living in an (almost absolute) artistical obscurity. Since 2012, thanks to the Stones he is somewhere in the artistical "map", again. God, from O2 gigs until today Taylor has already played in front of 900,000 people (Glastonbury included), which means 10, or 20, or even more times bigger attendance than what he had on his entire "carreer", in the years 1974- 2012... Thanks to the Stones, so many people are remembering him now and others - probably newer - are knowing that he does exist. And you tell me they're "punishing" him??? He should be grateful...

(And yes, the Stones remain an excellent band with or without him. IMO. But let's discuss it on another thread)

Glad to see there's some common sense left on this board ! thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 1, 2014 01:51

laertisflash

Yes, but there's a certain disrespectful subservience to it too. Unlike Bill Wyman, Taylor doesn't have enough money to tell the twats to bugger off.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 1, 2014 05:33

titzou
laertisflash

Glad to see there's some common sense left on this board ! thumbs up

There's differences of opinion. But I've actually found this latest batch of discussion to be quite informed and erudite. There are many valid points out of which the quoted comments are but one.

I've also learned some lovely serving suggestions for coffee on this board today.

Try finding that on a Led Zeppelin forum.

But I did come to this thread for the reviews...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 1, 2014 08:37

71 Tele- You are right on point. MT should be showcased.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 1, 2014 11:56

andrewt
I've also learned some lovely serving suggestions for coffee on this board today.

Aww, that's not fair. I've not been there in some time, but the main Zeppelin forums over on the official website are very good, with lots of interesting and knowledgeable contributors. Also, if anything, you're more likely to find coffee preparation tips over there than here, since Zeppelin aren't exactly giving their fans much to discuss at the moment.

Date: June 1, 2014 12:33

Midnight Toker
71 Tele- You are right on point. MT should be showcased.

He should get more stage time, but you guys are talking like he's not playing at all. He plays for nearly 20 minutes every night.

I think you are creating a drama over nothing. Maybe he'll get a couple of more songs when the machinery is oiled and the band becomes more confident - especially on the more difficult songs like CYHMK.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: June 1, 2014 13:08

What kind of camaras were allowed to bring in? (Smartphones were allowed off course)
I know no professional SLR equipment.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 1, 2014 13:31

I'm sure MT is wodnering wtf is going on with the shows?
In rehearsals he was given the opportinity to rip thru Sway or play gentle things on M-Mile (I know I was there*) but as soon as the tour starts it's "same old same old"

(* on that memorable 2014-02-07 Friday when Keith flew to London and missed the rehearsals MT was even given the opportunity to play some scorching leads on "Heartbreaker". It sounded good...)

Date: June 1, 2014 14:09

Tell us more about Moonlight Mile! thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 1, 2014 14:33

I couldn't post (or read) anything about this concert, but there's only one thing I can tell about it: it was an amazing concert, as usual. It was good to see some friends there, and I can't wait for today's concert. smileys with beer

Posted by: Domonkos ()
Date: June 1, 2014 15:15

MAF
What kind of camaras were allowed to bring in? (Smartphones were allowed off course)
I know no professional SLR equipment.

There were a lot of pro DSLRs, with long teles. I mean at people without any press pass. But this was a festival.

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 15:42

laertisflash

You are right, i just hope they let him play on more song for the next shows
" LOVE IN VAIN " just after" Midnight Rambler" that will be so great....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 1, 2014 17:01

Stoneburst
andrewt

Aww, that's not fair. I've not been there in some time, but the main Zeppelin forums over on the official website are very good, with lots of interesting and knowledgeable contributors. Also, if anything, you're more likely to find coffee preparation tips over there than here, since Zeppelin aren't exactly giving their fans much to discuss at the moment.

smiling smiley

Date: June 1, 2014 18:04

I don't hear a tired band here, like some people said. Judging from the videos I think they sounded amazingly tight in Lisboa. The guitars were really present. I already liked the JJF from Oslo and this one was very good again. To me there is a new energy in the song, like they maybe managed to put in at Glastonbury, but I think I prefer the Oslo and Lisboa versions. Live with Me was rocking, too, which amazed me, since they've rarely played it recently. Even Gimme Shelter sounded quite fluent. I'm not finished with watching all song videos on Youtube, but the impression of what I've heared already is very good. I'm not a fan of Bruce Springsteen though and didn't like his singing on Tumbling Dice. I noticed that Keith played the solo on Out of Control, while in 2012 it was Ronnie (if I'm not mistaken). I remember that I really liked Ronnie's solo then, but I also find Keith's one was touching and played from the heart. As a band they seem to really communicate very well right now. There is a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere between everybody on stage, including Mick and Keith, who interact even warmly with each other, which is a pleasure to see. I was afraid that the recent incidents would have harmed the progress of the band, but this doesn't appear to be the case at all, feels almost like the contrary.

The missing Paint It Black gives room for another 'rarer' song, which, although I really like PIB, is quite refreshing. At least one surprise/variation per show in the second half after Keith's set (and I mean not just a different order of songs but another song) would be nice. For example at Glastonbury they surprisingly played 2000 LYFH (the performance was shaky, but I liked the idea and also enjoyed much of the song).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-01 18:15 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 18:14

Live With Me was so great!

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: June 1, 2014 23:16

The Stones for my 16th time at Rock in Rio Lisboa 29 May! Huge festival with 90.000 people in Parque de Bela Vista. For us Norwegians, that is gigantic. I liked Angelique Kidjo (for instance her version of Redemption song by Bob Marley) and definitely guitar master Gary Clark Jr (who also guest starred later).

We picked up our tickets around 12 pm at the box office. I am nervous about will call, but now it has worked well both here and in London last summer. Went back to the city and later to the hotel, were at the festival site around 6 pm. Bought t-shirt first (red one with the small Portuguese flags and football/soccer tongue) as there was no queue at all outside the venue. HUGE park and festival ground! But, no time to walk around unfortunately, as we wanted as good places as possible. When the music started (Portuguese band) we suddenly found ourselves much more in the front than when we came, goody! Very easy to see the catwalk and also the main stage and the people on it (did not see much of the stage in Oslo).

A. Kidjo was very good and I wish she had done more songs. Although not understanding the language it was fun at times with the Portuguese bands as the audience were singing and dancing like crazy. Gary Clark Jr was just excellent!!! Such a skillful guitarist and vocalist. I can really recommend listening to him and his blues rock. It was very crowded, but we were sitting down between the performances and became friends with very nice people from Portugal who had seen the Stones once before. By the time the Stones came on stage it was nearly midnight and of course totally dark. Some people, young ones, became very unpopular for pushing themselves from the back and forwards in an already very tight space. But the ones around us were incredibly nice and we talked with them inbetween.

Show start! JJF was smoking, but I would prefer it late in the show.... IORR ok, and then I was very happy to hear Live with me! It was my fan vote in Oslo, but it did not help. Love that song! Extremely surprised hearing Bruce Springsteen getting introduced for Tumbling Dice, it was great and we all went wild! Great fun. Speaking of wild, next was Wild horses and my smile definitely "went around my head" as that is one of my top five Stones favourites ever! >grinning smiley<

Doom and gloom and then Gary Clark Jr as guest artist on Respectable - which I have not heard more than max once (?) before. Very happy to hear Out of control, which was such a good one during the Bridges tour and it still works so well live! Rest of it as it should be: HTW, Keith´s two (same as in Oslo, lovely You got the silver and Can´t be seen) and Midnight Rambler which always is a winner with me! Especially now that Mick T is with them, brilliant! Miss you, love it. Lisa stunning on Gimme shelter, crowd pleaser Start me up which got "everyone" singing out loud and of course Sympathy (never get tired of it! Whoooohooo!) and BS. Extras: YCAGWYW with choir and Satisfaction.

Everyone started moving very quickly after that, it worked quite alright with the huge crowd. Which is more than I can say about the bus transportation to the city, bus queues never moved and when finally on board we ended up somewhere unknown at about 4 am as the driver did not announce stops and no info was given anywhere. Thankfully, we hopped a cab and got to our hotel in ten minutes. In bed by 4.30 am....

All in all, a very special and nice experience which I am so happy to have had! smiling smiley They looked good, especially Ronnie IMHO, and performed so well. Of course now, I want mooooore! But alas, I do not have tickets for more shows and then there is work. winking smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

The Stones w/ Bruce Springsteen - TD - Give Me A Break
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: June 2, 2014 05:04

Are you kidding me?....

I have to watch Bruce Springsteen play air guitar with the Stones for the second time on Tumbling Dice?...this guy can't find some time to learn the song?...this isn't learning "Eruption" from Van Halen...though I think Eddie
would have a hard time dealing with TD coming from his perspective...but
Bruce should know that song...it's ridiculous that he would strap a guitar around his neck and just pretend to hit the strings...his fingers don't even move...why doesn't he come out without a guitar...jump around and smack a tambourine...

Pecman

Re: The Stones w/ Bruce Springsteen - TD - Give Me A Break
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 2, 2014 05:30

I have to agree with you. The guitar is a prop. I just don't think he adds anything to the song. Bruce could slay Ventilator Blues...

Date: June 2, 2014 05:37

Exactly Flacnvinyl...I'm sure he has known this song since it came out...
Maybe Mick & Keith don't want him playing on it? But if I were Bruce...I would
be totally embarrassed playing "air guitar" in his position in the history of rock...and very simple just as a guitar player.

The key to Tumbling Dice is the open G tuning and the placement of the Capo...
if you don't know about that...you can't play the song...but if you do...it's a fun song to play.

Pecman

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2014 05:38

Pecman
Are you kidding me?....

I have to watch Bruce Springsteen play air guitar with the Stones for the second time on Tumbling Dice?...this guy can't find some time to learn the song?...this isn't learning "Eruption" from Van Halen...though I think Eddie
would have a hard time dealing with TD coming from his perspective...but
Bruce should know that song...it's ridiculous that he would strap a guitar around his neck and just pretend to hit the strings...his fingers don't even move...why doesn't he come out without a guitar...jump around and smack a tambourine...

Pecman
Yeah but then he put it on his back and walked the ramp. It was Keith's black Tele Custom that he started using this year and just not cool at all. Maybe he can fool E-Street fans be we can tell a hack when we see one.

Date: June 2, 2014 05:51

Yeah...total non-sense...and I have been pointing out for years to my friends that Burce plays "air guitar" in his own shows...not saying he doesn't play on his records...but pull up any youtube video of him live and half the time it's "air guitar"...

Our beloved Keith...he plays it live...the good, the bad, the ugly...but it's always Keith.

Pecman

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 2, 2014 05:59

Springsteen happens to be a terrific guitarist. John Hammond who discovered him praised his playing. Bruce plays the solo on "Adam Raised a Cain" using a roadies mid 50's Les Paul Custom. I won't go further into it but he's got good chops. This is laziness, I learned TD in 2 practice days recently, it is not easy to play it like Keith but just the chords could not take long. Seems that he's not at all familiar with the material, should have done "Round and Round" or "Rt 66" that's more his dish.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 2, 2014 06:00

I'm very pleased that Bruce shows the Stones the upmost respect.

@ Pecman -maybe it's one of Bruce's favorite songs and guitar slashing is irrelevant. I understand your point but maybe it's a Stone's decision. I'm not sure.

However, it would be advantageous for Stones & Bruce play a song such as Respectable and let loose on the guitars and even have Mick Taylor join in for a kick-ass guitar free for for all.

Date: June 2, 2014 06:09

Chris Fountain,

Absolutely!...how you bring Bruce Springsteen on stage with a guitar around his neck and have it silenced by Mick & Keith or by Bruce and his management is simply...ridiculous.

Pec

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 2, 2014 06:11

.... I can't look ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 2, 2014 06:24

Rockman,

I had the same reaction...clicked off after the first chorus.

Pecman

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 2, 2014 06:29

It's particular galling because Bruce's Leap of Faith is similar in structure to Tumbling Dice.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 24 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home