Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425
Current Page: 25 of 25
Re: The Stones w/ Bruce Springsteen - TD - Give Me A Break
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 2, 2014 06:47

A second (or third) guitar can add nicely to the song in standard tuning, leaving the main riffing to the Open G tuned guitar. None-the-less, Bruce seemed content posturing with his guitar. (BTW, does anyone knows who's guitar it was? I don't think it was one of Keith's but I could be wrong.)

Date: June 2, 2014 08:38

Bruce plays a solo in the ending, but he was cut short by Keith's ending cue. Mick is then smiling apologisingly to him there.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 2, 2014 11:45

jazzbass
A second (or third) guitar can add nicely to the song in standard tuning, leaving the main riffing to the Open G tuned guitar. None-the-less, Bruce seemed content posturing with his guitar. (BTW, does anyone knows who's guitar it was? I don't think it was one of Keith's but I could be wrong.)

It was a Keith´s guitar (Bruce Sprinsteen came to Lisbon on holidays and to see his daughter that studies here).

Regards!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 3, 2014 01:58

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 12:51 by colonial.

Re: Lisbon 29 May 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 3, 2014 18:31

Now that I'm finally home I can share some pictures from Lisbon.

And these ones are from the night before the concert, when me and other friends were fortunate to meet Ronnie and some other band members. smiling smiley

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: June 4, 2014 17:29

6 days later and after finally finishing the video summary, here is my blog post about the Lisbon experience, some of it is simply about the city and the people but you can also read about my experience at the concert:

We left Oslo day after the Rolling Stones Opening night heading for Faro, the southern city of Portugal that has conveniently low rates for flights with Norwegian.
The group was myself, my friend Andreea, our local Oslo friend Mari and Gabor that we had met the night before at the concert.

We landed in sunshine land and stopped for a fresh and suddenly very cheap (compared to expensive Oslo) cerveja just by the stop for the bus to Lisbon.

Keith Richards “account” posted a photo from Lisbon saying Hello Lisbon, so we replied with our very own first shot of Lisbon:

From the first minutes we arrived we could feel it in the air that there is something special about this place, my friend kept saying she has a feeling she is going to like this place.

Arriving in Lisbon was particularly fulfilling as for the first time I was experiencing “being on tour with the Rolling Stones” after my attempt to the same in Australia. Concert one night, travel the day before, getting from one beautiful place to another, this is what I’ve always wanted to do. Rock’n'roll!!!

We were staying on the most central street in Lisbon, Rua de Augusta. Great rates, amazing location, wonderful view of the balcony. If you’re looking into visiting Oslo which you should definitely consider have a look at City Center Hostel, well worth the stay.

We had violin music every morning by the balcony and on the first morning when I woke up and opened the doors to the balcony I could see a lot of people wearing Stones t-shirts on the street so I grabbed a photo and posted it on the forum asking if anyone there is in the picture.

Not that surprising, the picture shows Cristiano from Brazil and I found out about that later when we met in Zurich smiling smiley

We walked through the city, on the way to the Pantheon we found a nice restaurant that was serving sardines, soup, wine and desert + coffee all with 14 euro in a relaxed and perfect atmosphere. Again if you visit Lisbon and you should try Pateo 31 in Alfama.

We visited the Pantheon with a very nice terrace where you can see the city, good views of the river too (first I thought it was the see). We went up to the castle that has spectacular views of the city all around and there we met a fan from Stockholm who didn’t manage to book tickets for Sweden and decided to come to Lisbon. I told him I might have a spare Lucky Dip smiling smiley He took this photo of us:

Later on we caught up with our friends coming from Faro and went to conquer Bairro Alto. Great places, great food, great prices and great atmosphere. We went to a couple of places and had a wonderful time until very early in the morning.

Great place to be Lisbon from so many points of view but particularly fun during this past few days. We stopped for a photo with this guy:

Thursday arrived and again it was…concert day!

Before the show we took the little stram and went back to the Castle where we meet our good friend from Lisbon, Rita.

We met Rita randomly about four years ago. We went for drinks after a Bob Dylan concert in Bucharest and became instant friends. Rita was in Bucharest doing volunteer work for 6 months and was quickly growing to like certain aspects of Bucharest and Romanian culture, which for me is a good sign.

We met many times since then and at one point we made a promise that if the Stones would play Lisbon again we would meet there. And so it happened at the end of May 2014.

Funny mention, we actually met in 2013 as well in London before the Hyde Park concert. Somehow I feel this is not at all random and little things connect like that in a beautiful way.

Rita is now keen on working with children in Mozambique, teaching them English and was only in Lisbon for a short while. Perfect timing for us to meet.

This is when we had the first real Sangria (much better than what I’ve tried so far) and a few local dishes recommended by our very own Lisboa lady.

It was great to see her again and we had a lovely afternoon on Costa do Castelo (name sounds really good).

Later on we decided to head to the festival early to check out the fun stuff available at the festival.

Parque de Bela Vista looks spectacular, a natural amphitheater to fit 90,000 people. They had a stand where you could dress up and rock out on camera, dancing stages, high jumping area, you could fly on a string above the crowds, get your hair painted, get all of your body colored, fanfare playing Stones tunes, stores, restaurants, basically anything you could imagine.

I’ve been to a few festivals in Europe but mostly at home and I think Rock in Rio had the best from all of the others in once place.

As Angélique Kidjo’s performance was starting on stage we decided to get closer to the stage. First opening act was great, best part for me (while also thinking of Rita) is at 1:01:55:

Next were local Xutos e Pontapes that warmed up the crowd really good, they were all singing and clapping promising a good audience for later on.

Gary Clark Jr. came on and chilled them back as the temperature was also dropping with the wind increasing. But he did a good show and we had a great spot and could see and hear and enjoy.

A little while longer the greatly anticipated moment arrived and a screaming crowd welcomed “…The Rolling Stones” to the riffs of Jumpin’ Jack Flash. Mari was wondering before the show if we would get the setlist. But after the first two songs which were just like Oslo the series of spectacular premieres kicked in.

Live with Me, Tumbling Dice with surprise guest Bruce Springsteen, Respectable with Gary Clark Jr., Out of Control!

I think that out of all the concerts I’ve been to, this was the one with the most “new discoveries”, felt like that was the way they present themselves to a familiar audience, a place where they bring out the more rare songs and where they bring on stage guests that nobody saw coming.

I was loving every moment and after every song I was shouting out loud “now they played this”, “now they played this” and just when I thought the night couldn’t get any better I was there for the absolute amazing performance of “Out of Control”. First time I’ve seen this properly and the way the song intensifies and the way they play it on stage is just… out of control!

Between the Bruce Springsteen moment and Gary Clark they cooled it down a bit playing Wild Horses. That is a very emotional song and I’m convinced that less than 0.5% of the people of the would could stand there in front of 90,000 people with their heads held high singing these lyrics after what happened one and a half months ago. I now see Mick Jagger as a much greater person that I did before (and I did before too).

#StonesLisboa was becoming a hit, the only thing that could spice things up more and my constant disappointment in the same way was…the crowd. They were shouting and clapping as one of the Stones was walking by on stage but as soon as they were gone they stopped. People stop cheering when a song is over and simply wait quietly for another.

I’m still looking for that energetic crowd that dances the night away and puts in their part of singing. I sort of know where it is and it’s getting more and more clear there’s only one place in the world with crowds like that…Argentina… but that is hopefully to be continued at a later time.

I somehow expected this kind of crowd from Lisbon. It was better than London or Abu Dhabi or Oslo but still… a bit quiet and static for my taste grinning smiley.

Comparing to Oslo I think everyone was more relaxed in Lisbon both on and off stage, that “first show, let’s see if they can do it” question had dissolved, and if you add the lively spirits of the city and the good moods all around you get this jewel of a concert that started at midnight and ended after 2am.

Good show, good night even with the cold, good to feel they are “daring” to bring out many of these beautiful songs and that they sound so good and out of control grinning smiley

We remained in Lisbon for two more days before I continued on my own towards Zurich. These two days were a lot of fun and we’ve been on top of the world. Alfama is my favorite spot in Lisbon and Lisbon is one of the best cities I’ve visited. It’s classic and simple and charming, had a feeling in the air that makes you fall in love with the city, little restaurants, delicious food, very friendly prices, even friendlier people, I like the sound of the language and all the wonderful things happening in this part of the world. Go see for yourself winking smiley

Here is my longest video so far about the fun trip to Lisbon, it has several parts both about Lisbon and the festival and we had a great time making this, enjoy:

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 5, 2014 02:06

A brazilian fan who went to the Lisbon concert told me today (via facebook) that he had the chance to meet Mick Jagger in a restaurant in Lisbon. Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler and Tim Ries were there, at a table next to this brazilian guy, and suddenly Mick comes in. There was a fado concert with Ana Moura (she's very famous there and she sang with the Stones in Lisbon in 2007), and after some songs, Mick picked up a guitar and played and sang No Expectations with her. After this, he stayed some more minutes and then he came back to his hotel.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 6, 2014 00:48

Great to read!
You make me feel proud of my City!

Kind Regards!

Date: June 6, 2014 00:51

Cristiano Radtke
A brazilian fan who went to the Lisbon concert told me today (via facebook) that he had the chance to meet Mick Jagger in a restaurant in Lisbon. Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler and Tim Ries were there, at a table next to this brazilian guy, and suddenly Mick comes in. There was a fado concert with Ana Moura (she's very famous there and she sang with the Stones in Lisbon in 2007), and after some songs, Mick picked up a guitar and played and sang No Expectations with her. After this, he stayed some more minutes and then he came back to his hotel.

thumbs up

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: June 6, 2014 23:42

I heard from one official source that were 115.000 at the concert...That makes so far the biigest crowd from this tour

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 13, 2014 01:37

This is the complete show, filmed out of the audience.

]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-13 01:40 by Ladykiller.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425
Current Page: 25 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home