Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 23 of 25
Re: Lisbon 29 May 2014 Rolling Stones show live updates
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 31, 2014 09:45

three16
71Tele
Yet another waste of Taylor, and yet another wasted opportunity (if you actually care about music). At this point one has to wonder about the motivations of certain people. They seemed determined to use the man as a one-song freak show, rather than a former member who helped make the magic that enables them to cash these big paychecks decades later. If I sound bitter it's because I am.

They are not touring in celebration of Mick Taylor guitar solos. It's 2014 and they're on fire, touring as a current active band with new songs and members that have not quit the band since joining.

At least two of their super biggest warhorse hits include the work Ronnie. About seventy percent of their warhorse or other fan favorite popular songs played randomly include the work of Brian. All the songs they recorded with Taylor that they 'cash' in on would have been great songs without him because Mick and Keith primarily wrote them. He was in the right place at the right time. Just as he is again, considering.

I haven't heard any Taylor solo material written with glimmer twin quality. Happy still would have been Happy. Just a different smile is all. He certainly did contribute immensely and his time in the band is my favorite but I like exactly what they're doing. The band and probably mostly Jagger has the smart judgment to not slap Ronnie for his steadfast patience and dedication.

I do understand your point though. I don't know why he is used on satisfaction or Slipping away, two songs he had nothing to do with. (Imagine how Ronnie feels while covering the other two guitarists work during a show)

IORR, it's not to be taken too seriously. Except when Mick Taylor is on the Rambler.

This has nothing to do with Ronnie. In fact, judging by appearances Ronnie would likely be delighted with more tme onstage by Taylor. Why is it so hard that we want to hear All Down The Line (to name just one) include the guitarist who actually played on All Down The Line? Especially if he is right there? It seems like a very simple concept.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 31, 2014 10:39

71Tele
Yet another waste of Taylor, and yet another wasted opportunity (if you actually care about music). At this point one has to wonder about the motivations of certain people. They seemed determined to use the man as a one-song freak show, rather than a former member who helped make the magic that enables them to cash these big paychecks decades later. If I sound bitter it's because I am.

smileys with beerhot smiley
I agree with you and i am sure we will never get a mature answerfromone of the Glimmer twins.
I hope mick Taylor will explain more in a few years, but is not allowed to dsay anything now. But i bet he is slightly happy with the money he will receive. Nevertheless i can understand if he also feels bitter.
Jeroen

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 31, 2014 10:53

corriecas
71Tele

I agree with you and i am sure we will never get a mature answerfromone of the Glimmer twins.
I hope mick Taylor will explain more in a few years, but is not allowed to dsay anything now. But i bet he is slightly happy with the money he will receive. Nevertheless i can understand if he also feels bitter.
Jeroen

Mick T. may be bitter for his limited involvement but he decided to quit 40 years ago (and I still think this was THE mistake of his life). So I do not expect that his role will become more prominent.

IMO all this discussion is futile.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 31, 2014 11:03

EddieByword
LongBeachArena72
EddieByword
The Worst.
The set list moaners must absolutely hate the tours The Rolling Stones did in 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1981 & 1982
when they played more or less the exact same set of songs on every single show on the tour with few exceptions.
Also the Steel Wheels, Jungle, Voodoo and Bridges tours had few surprises. Apart from a few club shows, the set list was always predictable.
In fact, it was first on the Licks Tour that The Rolling Stones started to change the set lists drastically from show to show.
And the fans got spoiled big time and have demanded huge set list changes ever since. But even on the ABB tour, The Stones continued to change the set a lot.
On that tour I heard more than 60 different songs live - about the same amount of songs that they performed during the entire 1970s.
Set list moaners need to get some perspective.

There's perspective and perspective........first it's not about same setlist every night or not, it's about new songs. On those tours you mention it was just tons of new songs all the time.
Everyone of those tours you mention were done on the back of a new album. New song laden setlists every tour.
Even all the warhorses were still relatively new, only Satisfaction was over 10 years old, and that wasn't even played in '73 & '75, just once in '76 and just couple of times in'78.
I saw them in '82, for that tour we heard live for the first time, songs from the latest 3 albums, Some girls, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo you, with 3 other songs included, Chantilly lace, 20 flight rock and Going to a go-go etc.
Out of a 24 song setlist, the first 12 songs had not been played before in Europe with the exception of Under my thumb & Let's spend the night together sometime in the early sixties.
Out of the 2nd half of the show I'd only ever heard live, YCAGWYW, HTW, Brown Sugar and JJF. That was it, the rest was new to almost everyone else at the show also, so, 20 'new' songs out of 24.
Also, times have changed, there's the Internet and iorr's Tell me etc. Years ago as you might remember, you could wait years or forever for a bootleg......Passiac '78 and the like were like manna from heaven and held that status for years. Now boots are available at the push of a button overnight.
In that regard you're right about spoiled, now it's like now 'we' don't want 15 boots of the same show, so for that reason, as well as just wanting to hear new stuff when attending a show personally, the call to mix it up some more is louder.
Also, years ago there was an album every year or so,,,,,,,it's 9 years since the last new Stones album, so, I'd say if they can't write any new stuff dig deeper into the old.
If nothing else, what a missed opportunity with the Exile and Some girls outtakes for example..........on and on.........
Last thing, Mick Jagger keeps trotting out this old chestnut about "Oh, if the crowd don't know it they won't like it"...........
Everybody on this board and outside it who like rock music must have had the experience sometime of walking in a pub or club, perhaps not knowing the band, not knowing the song but instantly recognising quality and straight away saying "yeah, I like this".
I think they underestimate the audience and themselves, or maybe I've got it all wrong and they really can't play Time waits for no one or Child of the moon or 100 years ago anymore.......(for example)............I guess it's about the fine line between a rut and a groove and which side of that line one stands.

imo, comparing then with now and shouting down people who want to hear some more variety on the basis you called ('69 - '82 tours) is simplistic and a bit misleading.

This issue of touring behind a vital new record is key. That's why it didn't use to matter that they played the same songs every night: most of them were NEW songs ... and they were usually very good, if not great songs.

But the other thing to remember is that The Rolling Stones have been a nostalgia act now for approximately half their life as a band. That's a loooooong time. We are reduced to applauding them for performing at a level that can charitably be described as "really good for 70 year olds."

We always hope that they might turn back time and do something that mattered again ... they were once so good that it makes it very difficult to give up on them. Perhaps we're afraid if we give up on The Stones (by not demanding that they produce new work) we're giving up on a part of our youth.

1. In a nutshell and 2.........so true....

Also, as I said in a previous post, in the old days...well, I didn't know where they'd played the previous night, let alone what they'd played........

Oh no, I just realised, the expression to describe them now is dumbed down.....arggghhhh........but they do it so well.........

Yes, I can see your points about touring behind a new album.
But one major difference between now and then, is that people sit home behind their computers and complain about the set lists without attending the actual shows.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 31, 2014 13:45

The Worst.
EddieByword
LongBeachArena72
EddieByword
The Worst.
The set list moaners must absolutely hate the tours The Rolling Stones did in 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1981 & 1982
when they played more or less the exact same set of songs on every single show on the tour with few exceptions.
Also the Steel Wheels, Jungle, Voodoo and Bridges tours had few surprises. Apart from a few club shows, the set list was always predictable.
In fact, it was first on the Licks Tour that The Rolling Stones started to change the set lists drastically from show to show.
And the fans got spoiled big time and have demanded huge set list changes ever since. But even on the ABB tour, The Stones continued to change the set a lot.
On that tour I heard more than 60 different songs live - about the same amount of songs that they performed during the entire 1970s.
Set list moaners need to get some perspective.

There's perspective and perspective........first it's not about same setlist every night or not, it's about new songs. On those tours you mention it was just tons of new songs all the time.
Everyone of those tours you mention were done on the back of a new album. New song laden setlists every tour.
Even all the warhorses were still relatively new, only Satisfaction was over 10 years old, and that wasn't even played in '73 & '75, just once in '76 and just couple of times in'78.
I saw them in '82, for that tour we heard live for the first time, songs from the latest 3 albums, Some girls, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo you, with 3 other songs included, Chantilly lace, 20 flight rock and Going to a go-go etc.
Out of a 24 song setlist, the first 12 songs had not been played before in Europe with the exception of Under my thumb & Let's spend the night together sometime in the early sixties.
Out of the 2nd half of the show I'd only ever heard live, YCAGWYW, HTW, Brown Sugar and JJF. That was it, the rest was new to almost everyone else at the show also, so, 20 'new' songs out of 24.
Also, times have changed, there's the Internet and iorr's Tell me etc. Years ago as you might remember, you could wait years or forever for a bootleg......Passiac '78 and the like were like manna from heaven and held that status for years. Now boots are available at the push of a button overnight.
In that regard you're right about spoiled, now it's like now 'we' don't want 15 boots of the same show, so for that reason, as well as just wanting to hear new stuff when attending a show personally, the call to mix it up some more is louder.
Also, years ago there was an album every year or so,,,,,,,it's 9 years since the last new Stones album, so, I'd say if they can't write any new stuff dig deeper into the old.
If nothing else, what a missed opportunity with the Exile and Some girls outtakes for example..........on and on.........
Last thing, Mick Jagger keeps trotting out this old chestnut about "Oh, if the crowd don't know it they won't like it"...........
Everybody on this board and outside it who like rock music must have had the experience sometime of walking in a pub or club, perhaps not knowing the band, not knowing the song but instantly recognising quality and straight away saying "yeah, I like this".
I think they underestimate the audience and themselves, or maybe I've got it all wrong and they really can't play Time waits for no one or Child of the moon or 100 years ago anymore.......(for example)............I guess it's about the fine line between a rut and a groove and which side of that line one stands.

imo, comparing then with now and shouting down people who want to hear some more variety on the basis you called ('69 - '82 tours) is simplistic and a bit misleading.

This issue of touring behind a vital new record is key. That's why it didn't use to matter that they played the same songs every night: most of them were NEW songs ... and they were usually very good, if not great songs.

But the other thing to remember is that The Rolling Stones have been a nostalgia act now for approximately half their life as a band. That's a loooooong time. We are reduced to applauding them for performing at a level that can charitably be described as "really good for 70 year olds."

We always hope that they might turn back time and do something that mattered again ... they were once so good that it makes it very difficult to give up on them. Perhaps we're afraid if we give up on The Stones (by not demanding that they produce new work) we're giving up on a part of our youth.

1. In a nutshell and 2.........so true....

Also, as I said in a previous post, in the old days...well, I didn't know where they'd played the previous night, let alone what they'd played........

Oh no, I just realised, the expression to describe them now is dumbed down.....arggghhhh........but they do it so well.........

Yes, I can see your points about touring behind a new album.
But one major difference between now and then, is that people sit home behind their computers and complain about the set lists without attending the actual shows.

Well, this is it, isn't it? computers - just the times - I don't think it necessarily follows that all of them don't go to actual shows.
For me though, I don't think those 'whines or complaints' or just comments as I call them are born of negativity, I think people who make them just long to hear the band they love playing some of the other songs they love written by the band they love.
It not like there are people asking the Stones to cover loads of stuff from other bands or something.............

For me the last time Mick was truly creative with the setlist was the first half of the US Voodoo lounge leg (although granted the Licks tour was a fine effort).......but VL. well, first a 9/10 songs miniset culminating in Satisfaction (brilliant), then a couple of ballads/country songs for Mick to get his breath back, then It's all over now, Heartbreaker & I go wild all in a row,,,,amazing and then the genius of starting the finale with Love is strong, Monkey man and Street fighting man.
It was like LIS & MM were written in the same session - that though, for me fell apart in Las Vegas 14/15th 10/1994 when Mick introduced Sympathy in place of LIS for the second show.
It stuck and for me at least the Stones became a 'painting by numbers' band...(proficient but a bit boring)....or as some have described, a, funnily enough, Vegas act or nostalgia act.................

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 14:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 31, 2014 14:00

ROLLING STONES LISBOA 2014

36 min. video

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: May 31, 2014 14:40

Lien
ROLLING STONES LISBOA 2014

36 min. video

[www.youtube.com]

You really get a flavour of the show - thanks for this !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 16:18 by EJM.

Date: May 31, 2014 15:16

sabata
[www.facebook.com]

The Stones really looking like the Stones here. Except Keith has old man chin now.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: May 31, 2014 15:27

Did I just imagine it or did Jagger change the words to IORR from 'stick a knife in my heart, suicide right on stage to "spill it all over the stage"?

Date: May 31, 2014 15:47

Palace Revolution 2000
sabata
[www.facebook.com]

The Stones really looking like the Stones here. Except Keith has old man chin now.
Except keith is hardly in the picture .....

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 31, 2014 15:51

EJM
Except keith is not in the picture .....

...Yes he is.

Or are you trying to tell us that it's Feith? grinning smiley

Date: May 31, 2014 15:57

Bastion
EJM
Except keith is not in the picture .....

...Yes he is.

Or are you trying to tell us that it's Feith? grinning smiley
Sorry I edited my post having spotted the bit that is !

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:10

SWAYZ wrote about "Out Of Control":

"Musically it sounded good, but Mick sounded pretty flat,and didn't seem to remember the breaks in the song too well. B2B tour versions were much stronger and vocally superior."

The song sounded really good in Lisbon, indeed. And i'm sure OOC would get better and better, if the boys were deciding to give it a "permanent post" on the lists. The big difference between now and 1997-98 as for the particular song, which BTW works perfectly live IMO, is that then had been played every night. Huge benefit...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:16

Videos from Lisbon, they sound really tired and have lost the edge they had in America. Jagger is really super loud in the mix and Ronnie forgot how to play the solo in SMU, seemed the same in Oslo they were real good in Asia so maybe they'll wake again.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:30

Call me crazy Doom & Gloom, but judging from the videos i conclude that the only band's member who really sounded tired, perhaps a bit "cold", was Mick. The guitar work was fine overall, IMO.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:43

Palace Revolution 2000
sabata
[www.facebook.com]

...and Bill Wyman has got really short hair, is playing a six string, and singing.

Date: May 31, 2014 16:45

jammingedward
Did I just imagine it or did Jagger change the words to IORR from 'stick a knife in my heart, suicide right on stage to "spill it all over the stage"?

sad smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 31, 2014 16:53

MartinB

Mick T. may be bitter for his limited involvement but he decided to quit 40 years ago (and I still think this was THE mistake of his life). So I do not expect that his role will become more prominent.

I think accepting the offer to join them in 1969 was THE mistake of his life.

Date: May 31, 2014 16:55

His Majesty
MartinB

I think accepting the offer to join them in 1969 was THE mistake of his life.

Because by now he'd be a successful realtor in London.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 31, 2014 17:58

MR

Posted by: mickjerome ()
Date: May 31, 2014 19:04

Hi everybody,
Just back from Lisbon where i spent 4 days with Marclaff and his daughter.
On tuesday, in the aeroport we met Daryl and Chuck, good signs.
On thursday, we arrived on the place around 6 pm and we could find a nice spot on the side where we could sit and even lie.
From 6 to 12, it was very long but the bands before the Stones were quite good (Angelique Kidjo singin' Redemption song for instance).
At midnight, the night were "freezing" but our boys and particulary Mick were possessed : the atmosphere heated very quick.
The sound from our spot was fantastic (Keith's guitar high in the mix), the set list was enough surprising and Bruce of course the ice on the cake.
All in all, my best show since Bercy 2003.
For Marclaff, it was his best show since Lyon 2007 and he has seen a lot of them since.
Highlights : Jagger really into the show, interactions between the band, no mistake hearable, all the songs well played with great energy.
Downlight : M. Taylor not introduced by the other Mick sad smiley

Date: May 31, 2014 19:09

Picture at the airport!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 21:24 by bv.

Date: May 31, 2014 19:14

Oups, i realise i don't know how to copy the picture here!
Help please

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:05

I don't think you can upload a picture direct from your phone.
It looks like only web links to images will work so you would need to upload to tumblr or Facebook or something like that then add the link by clicking on the little icon that looks like a picture of two mountaintops and the sun in the bar above where you post.

P.S thanks all for the reviews and videos/pics.
It's nice to get so many different perspectives on the show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-31 20:08 by andrewt.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:13

MartinB

Mick T. he decided to quit 40 years ago (and I still think this was THE mistake of his life). So I do not expect that his role will become more prominent.

Yup! You know the famous F. Scott Fitzgerald quote : "there are no second acts in american lives". Well Jagger has made it a motto for ex-members (aka quitters).

Repeat after me :
"there are no second acts in ex-members' lives"

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: May 31, 2014 20:31

mickjerome
Hi everybody,
Just back from Lisbon where i spent 4 days with Marclaff and his daughter.
On tuesday, in the aeroport we met Daryl and Chuck, good signs.
On thursday, we arrived on the place around 6 pm and we could find a nice spot on the side where we could sit and even lie.
From 6 to 12, it was very long but the bands before the Stones were quite good (Angelique Kidjo singin' Redemption song for instance).
At midnight, the night were "freezing" but our boys and particulary Mick were possessed : the atmosphere heated very quick.
The sound from our spot was fantastic (Keith's guitar high in the mix), the set list was enough surprising and Bruce of course the ice on the cake.
All in all, my best show since Bercy 2003.
For Marclaff, it was his best show since Lyon 2007 and he has seen a lot of them since.
Highlights : Jagger really into the show, interactions between the band, no mistake hearable, all the songs well played with great energy.
Downlight : M. Taylor not introduced by the other Mick sad smiley

Thanks winking smiley Yes, verry sad. sad smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 31, 2014 21:22

MartinB
corriecas
71Tele

Jeroen

So, you're of the "he quit 40 years ago therefore should be punsihed the rest of his life" school of thought? This logic has always puzzled me. At this stage of their career, why not forgive and celebrate (especially since they did invite him back)? Why invite him back and then not let him play? And by the way, he is NOT merely a "special guest", he is a former band member. Big difference between Mick Taylor and Taylor Swift, though they get the same allotment of songs (1).

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 31, 2014 21:43

71Tele
MartinB
corriecas
71Tele

Jeroen

So, you're of the "he quit 40 years ago therefore should be punsihed the rest of his life" school of thought? This logic has always puzzled me. At this stage of their career, why not forgive and celebrate (especially since they did invite him back)? Why invite him back and then not let him play? And by the way, he is NOT merely a "special guest", he is a former band member. Big difference between Mick Taylor and Taylor Swift, though they get the same allotment of songs (1).

Your position is very reasonable. I love Mick T. and go to see him every time he plays somewhere nearby. I do not think that he SHOULD be "punished". I am only saying that given the recent (and less recent) history, I do not expect that he will be given any more prominent role.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 31, 2014 21:57

This puts the Mick Taylor controversy in perspective. Good and common sense
Post!

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: May 31, 2014 23:17

Milan
MR

MR once again the absolute highlight of the show for me. Great Mick Taylor!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 23 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home