Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Keith's Homophobia
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2014 04:50

Keith saves most of his malice for Brian Jones and Donald Cammell. grinning smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 16, 2014 04:53

flilflam
Homophobia is a polite term for people who are bigoted, prejudiced, and engage in fag bashing.

And none of those apply to Keith, unless we're talking about a different Keith Richards.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: May 16, 2014 05:06

One can read "No one gets out of here alive" about Jim Morrison, there is an episode where the guy, drunk or high, did all of these wild things, he's standing in the middle of a street and traffic is going by him and he's shouting "Your all a bunch of (racial epithet)", yet, I don't see that supposed incident as something to think about whether Jim Morrison was a racist. I guess you could make a case he was inebriated so that would have to be taken into account.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 16, 2014 05:09

alimente
In my teenage years, an older man tried to touch me in a cinema.

What movie was playing?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 16, 2014 05:13

The Long Arm starring Jack Hawkins .............

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 16, 2014 05:23

In the quest for tolerance they became intolerant.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 16, 2014 06:47

So what about Elton John and Keith?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 16, 2014 06:52

His Majesty
It's clear that Keith finds men engaging in bum sex etc as something that ain't for him and that he finds some aspects of it funny, but I don't think this extends to him hating or despising gay people because they are gay.

Keith apparantly doesn't prefer bum sex with women either, given the choice. He quoted his dad saying something "second hole down from the back of the neck, son, that's the one you want."

KR and the Stones ran in a very gay crowd from early days. He likes to use old fashioned slang. He used to say "spade" a lot. Can you imagine that now?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 16, 2014 07:39

His Majesty
Keith saves most of his malice for Brian Jones and Donald Cammell. grinning smiley

...and Mick Jagger.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 16, 2014 07:42

TeddyB1018

Keith apparantly doesn't prefer bum sex with women either, given the choice. He quoted his dad saying something "second hole down from the back of the neck, son, that's the one you want."

Really? Wish someone would've told me. I've been doing it wrong all those years. Certainly helps explain all those funny noises from the women.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 16, 2014 08:02

stonehearted
alimente

What movie was playing?

"Quentin Crisp"

...no, "Willard" actually.

Nice try!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 16, 2014 08:04

alimente
stonehearted
alimente

What movie was playing?

"Quentin Crisp"

Nice try!

Rats!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 16, 2014 08:18

stonehearted
alimente
stonehearted
alimente

What movie was playing?

"Quentin Crisp"

Nice try!

Rats!

Exactly.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 16, 2014 08:53

Aquamarine
Robert Fraser, Christopher Gibbs, etc., didn't keep their sexuality hidden.

Nope, obviously not...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: May 16, 2014 09:27

Apparently it wasn't that obvious.

flilflam
On the other hand, he has befriended other gays, such as Robert Fraser. He seems to think it is OK to be gay if you keep it hidden, do not flaunt it, keep it hidden, or are able to render a service to him such as getting him smack.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 16, 2014 09:34

Aquamarine
Apparently it wasn't that obvious.

flilflam
On the other hand, he has befriended other gays, such as Robert Fraser. He seems to think it is OK to be gay if you keep it hidden, do not flaunt it, keep it hidden, or are able to render a service to him such as getting him smack.

Well I see it as bad hidden since we know they're gay...tongue sticking out smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: May 16, 2014 09:51

That was my point.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 16, 2014 10:52

flilflam
I always have believed that one should, with anyone you admire, take the good along with the bad. However, this aspect of Keith I do not like at all.

So, what are you going to do about it...? Call a boycott? Encourage the local radio station to tell all the kids to bring their records down to the station and stage a bonfire? Pen Keith a letter urging him to record Kumbaya?

By the way, did you know Keith Richards was a heroin addict?

Additionally, he speaks poorly and unapologetically of the dead and/or people he considers weak?

And a kid shot himself in or near his wife's bed, and apparently Keith, not unlike the honeybadger, don't give a fock?

Much of adult reality involves imperfection and ambiguity. With public figures, it's even more obvious.

Keith wasn't posing when he said "We're not worried about petty morals."

Part of that grime, by the way, is baked into his song-writing, playing, and voice that you, like many Stones' fans, find yourself stirred and excited by.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-16 12:00 by swiss.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 16, 2014 11:09

71Tele
I've been doing it wrong all those years. Certainly helps explain all those funny noises from the women.

tongue sticking out smiley LOL

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: AlanPartridge ()
Date: May 16, 2014 11:53

Look at the evidence...

He doesn't seem to like Elton John

That is all the proof you need, must be true then...

Unbelievable!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 16, 2014 13:35

Starr
I don't agree with you. I think what Keith says in his fantastic book "life" is ok - the homosexuals who were at Studio 54 would quite probably say the same. You lot have been given plenty of freedom and almost more than equality, but you have to stop being too serious, have a joke, have a laugh, don't be ridiculous. I would prefer it if we keep this site more to the music please...

"till the next time..."
there's not much more homophobic than your statement is there?...."almost more than equality"...not withstanding....glad you've decided to stop posting on a subject you know very little about.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 16, 2014 15:04

As the saying goes, 'it takes one to know one' smoking smiley

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 16, 2014 15:10

71Tele
TeddyB1018

Really? Wish someone would've told me. I've been doing it wrong all those years. Certainly helps explain all those funny noises from the women.

Sparks will fly!

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: May 16, 2014 15:19

I also believe that Keith didn't get along well with Billy Preston, even threatened him with a knife to his throat after a show once.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 16, 2014 15:32

Stroke me, Billy!

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: May 16, 2014 15:51

michaelsavage
flilflam
I am really into this book Keith wrote, Life. The man is very interesting, and I admire his ability to have risen from a poor background to be one of the very best blues and rhythm guitarists ever. I also believe he is being honest in saying he has always admired black musicians and the blues, and he has been friends with many black people throughout his career, even in the very early days when it was not cool to be that way.

Throughout his book, he has made slanderous comments about gays. In chapter eleven, for instance, he refers to all the people at Studio 54 as a room full of faggots in boxer shorts, waving champagne bottles in your face. Truman Capote was similarly bashed. On the other hand, he has befriended other gays, such as Robert Fraser. He seems to think it is OK to be gay if you keep it hidden, do not flaunt it, keep it hidden, or are able to render a service to him such as getting him smack.

I always have believed that one should, with anyone you admire, take the good along with the bad. However, this aspect of Keith I do not like at all.

You gotta be kidding me.

This is the stupidest thread I have seen yet on this site.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 16, 2014 15:53

jjo
michaelsavage
flilflam
I am really into this book Keith wrote, Life. The man is very interesting, and I admire his ability to have risen from a poor background to be one of the very best blues and rhythm guitarists ever. I also believe he is being honest in saying he has always admired black musicians and the blues, and he has been friends with many black people throughout his career, even in the very early days when it was not cool to be that way.

Throughout his book, he has made slanderous comments about gays. In chapter eleven, for instance, he refers to all the people at Studio 54 as a room full of faggots in boxer shorts, waving champagne bottles in your face. Truman Capote was similarly bashed. On the other hand, he has befriended other gays, such as Robert Fraser. He seems to think it is OK to be gay if you keep it hidden, do not flaunt it, keep it hidden, or are able to render a service to him such as getting him smack.

You gotta be kidding me.

+1

Date: May 16, 2014 15:55

jjo
michaelsavage
flilflam

You gotta be kidding me.

And it's only a few weeks since we had the exact same thread!

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 16, 2014 16:06

jjo
michaelsavage
flilflam

You gotta be kidding me.

When any well-known personality, writes a tell all book, including all the gory details plus a lot of language that some might find offensive, he should expect some amount of criticism from it. Keith may have added a lot of offensive language and lies to produce a best selling book. Or he may well be telling the full truth and being totally honest. Or it may be a mixture of both. If he is being honest, which I suspect is true, then people, including me, have a right to criticize him. When one uses the word faggot and fairy over and over, it is obvious he is having a serious problem with about 5% of the world population. This is an issue. So, why is this a stupid thread? Because you do not want to hear about it?

By the way, I still think Keith is the best guitarist I have ever heard.

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 16, 2014 16:17

I don't think Keith is homophobic at all. Having been an avid fan and observer for 50 years, I've gathered that Keith likes to use all kinds of slang and I think he finds it cool or funny. He doesn't come across like he means it. You can't take a lot of what he says literally. Just my opinion from what I've seen and heard over the years. I think if Keith were asked if he has something against gays, he would say, "Hey, whatever floats you're boat." He had nothing against Billy Preston back in the seventies and Billy was gay.

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home