Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: The Greatest Mick Taylor Solos
Posted by: SadDayBadDay ()
Date: May 13, 2014 16:19

DandelionPowderman
Because of BV. You know, the name we're not allowed to say here...

But, remember, because of BV, we're allowed to say anything at all, except when we're not. I'm just sayin....

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 13, 2014 16:25

His 1973 rendition of the song is even more stunning. Taylor changed the songs almost every tour which shows not only his musicality but also his flexibility and creativity.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 13, 2014 16:27

SadDayBadDay

He took a couple of prisoners on the 1974 tour; but since it was so poorly attended, it has been largely ignored. Your point, however, is generally...well, on point.
so people didn't go to see them on the 1974 tour? I know there are people that say MT overplayed in 1974, I've never had a chance to analyze tour by tour but that's what I'm reading here. Taylor then quit in 1975, while he is certainly one of the greatest guitarists of rock I believe he did not have the physical constitution to be a giant rock star with unlimited everything all of the time. This could be why his playing faltered, he is after all human not superhuman when it comes to partying like Keith and Ronnie.

Date: May 13, 2014 16:29

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley - check the dates, let alone the years, Doomy thumbs up

Date: May 13, 2014 16:30

DoomandGloom
SadDayBadDay

He took a couple of prisoners on the 1974 tour; but since it was so poorly attended, it has been largely ignored. Your point, however, is generally...well, on point.
so people didn't go to see them on the 1974 tour? I know there are people that say MT overplayed in 1974, I've never had a chance to analyze tour by tour but that's what I'm reading here. Taylor then quit in 1975, while he is certainly one of the greatest guitarists of rock I believe he did not have the physical constitution to be a giant rock star with unlimited everything all of the time. This could be why his playing faltered, he is after all human not superhuman when it comes to partying like Keith and Ronnie.

I like it better when you write more colorfully, as in your previous post. This one was a relatively colorless post.

Date: May 13, 2014 16:32

SadDayBadDay
DoomandGloom
SadDayBadDay

I like it better when you write more colorfully, as in your previous post. This one was a relatively colorless post.
"We’re not going to play the blues anymore. Let the white folks play the blues. They got ‘em, so they can keep ‘em." Miles Davis

Date: May 13, 2014 16:36

DoomandGloom
SadDayBadDay
DoomandGloom
SadDayBadDay

"We’re not going to play the blues anymore. Let the white folks play the blues. They got ‘em, so they can keep ‘em." Miles Davis

I love Miles; especially his racist rants. This is why Bill Evans joined him on Kind of Blue, as the story goes.

Date: May 13, 2014 17:05

kleermaker

His 1973 rendition of the song is even more stunning. Taylor changed the songs almost every tour which shows not only his musicality but also his flexibility and creativity.

Thanks..

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 13, 2014 17:16

Unnecessary thread to me. I like almost everything he played with the Stones.
Like this one:

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 13, 2014 17:44

Yes this is the thing. Almost everything he did with the Stones is among the best. What to pick... OK Ill give you the least greatest: If you can't rock me. Theres nothing wrong with Taylors solo, its not bad at all, but I know he could have done so much better had he felt like it. Come to think of it, it's not the solo, it's the sound on the guitar. Keiths sound live in 1975 and 1976 is so much better on that song, as his playing, and had Taylor done a solo live Im sure it would have been among his better.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 13, 2014 17:54

One of my favorites.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 13, 2014 17:57

Date: May 13, 2014 18:04

Redhotcarpet
Yes this is the thing. Almost everything he did with the Stones is among the best. What to pick... OK Ill give you the least greatest: If you can't rock me. Theres nothing wrong with Taylors solo, its not bad at all, but I know he could have done so much better had he felt like it. Come to think of it, it's not the solo, it's the sound on the guitar. Keiths sound live in 1975 and 1976 is so much better on that song, as his playing, and had Taylor done a solo live Im sure it would have been among his better.

That's funny! I have that same feeling about Dance Little Sister, but I love his IYCRM-solo smiling smiley

Date: May 13, 2014 18:05

LuxuryStones
Like this one:

We all have our favourites, and GS from Charlotte 72 is better than GS from London 73 - so there you go smiling smiley

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: May 13, 2014 18:08

One of my favourites:

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 13, 2014 18:16

DandelionPowderman
The Guns'n'Roses-tribute - good one grinning smiley

This solo is near perfection. Brings back good memories. Too bad he busts a string toward the ending.

ha! broke a string myself on Saturday 2 min from the end of the night. no need to change it ,no problem !

did they have a guitar tech in 72 ?
any more boots with a burst string audible ?

suppose it wouldn't matter if the solo wasn't great if you were there that night !!

Date: May 13, 2014 18:37

I don't know if this is considered a solo but Plundered my soul is really good. U wish they could play it live with Taylor.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 13, 2014 18:48

Some of Mick Taylor solos are absolutely fantastic. But I don't see much point in listening to Stones songs sung by Carla Olson instead of Mick Jagger, never mind the great solo.

Date: May 13, 2014 19:52

PhillyFAN
I don't know if this is considered a solo but Plundered my soul is really good. U wish they could play it live with Taylor.

[www.youtube.com]

It's purely lead guitar, no solo.

Date: May 13, 2014 19:53

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
Like this one:

We all have our favourites, and GS from Charlotte 72 is better than GS from London 73 - so there you go smiling smiley

And the Washington 72 GS-solo is better than the Charlotte one and so on.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 13, 2014 19:54

love in vain - from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
or sway from SF

Date: May 13, 2014 22:16

kleermaker
PhillyFAN

[www.youtube.com]

I'm relieved that someone understands that all solos are leads but not all leads are solos. I like some of MT's solos at the Leads University show, which confuses the matter even further....

Date: May 13, 2014 22:55

matxil
Some of Mick Taylor solos are absolutely fantastic. But I don't see much point in listening to Stones songs sung by Carla Olson instead of Mick Jagger, never mind the great solo.

over on the Carla Olson chat board they don't see the point of listening to Carla Olson Stones covers sung by Mick Jagger. We need to find some common ground.

Date: May 13, 2014 23:49

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
Like this one:

And the Washington 72 GS-solo is better than the Charlotte one and so on.

Hence the thread has a purpose, right?

Date: May 13, 2014 23:50

SadDayBadDay
kleermaker
PhillyFAN

[www.youtube.com]

I'm relieved that someone understands that all solos are leads but not all leads are solos. I like some of MT's solos at the Leads University show, which confuses the matter even further....

Get The Lead Out...

Posted by: steini ()
Date: May 13, 2014 23:58

Simple Twist of Fate from the 1984 Dylan tour was great for ex. Rome.
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Hearbreaker) studio and live 1973
You Can't Always Get What You Want from Kansas 22th of June 1972 was goood.
Finally the best ever solo from Mick Taylor is Midnight Rambler Shanghai China 2014.

Date: May 14, 2014 00:05

It should be more interesting to name the Taylor solos that were bad. Much more challenging.

Date: May 14, 2014 00:18

His playing on DF on the Marquee show is ridiculous, but on the studio version and on L&G he plays good albeit safe country solos.

Date: May 14, 2014 00:20

DandelionPowderman
His playing on DF on the Marquee show is ridiculous, but on the studio version and on L&G he plays good albeit safe country solos.

This judgement is ridiculous. Give it another try, a good one this time.

Date: May 14, 2014 00:21

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

This judgement is ridiculous. Give it another try, a good one this time.

The noodling there has nothing to do with the song.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home