Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Guitar Solo on It's All Over Now
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 9, 2014 17:45

To this listener, (even) better than the solo has always been the band's instrumental finish of the song. There is to me the utmost greatness of what the Stones added to the song.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 9, 2014 19:19

Before LIFE I had this solo playing in my car and a passenger disparaged it. So Lennon isn't alone.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 9, 2014 19:28

Keith and George were both fond of that little note bend riff, e.g. Keith in this song, "Heart of Stone", etc., George in "Saw Her Standing There, etc.". But I think Keith played much better Berry.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 9, 2014 19:41

George Harrison was a superb guitarist.

The solo on It's all over now is a superb solo.

End of the discussion.

C

Date: May 9, 2014 19:44

I think John knew that as well smiling smiley

Date: May 9, 2014 20:03

liddas

End of the discussion.

C

Superb post!

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2014 22:53

liddas

End of the discussion.

C

thumbs up......Really. Why can't people just accept that The Beatles and The Stones were / are both superb bands and leave it at that?

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 9, 2014 23:06

Rockman
I'm just a jealous guy ...............

....and you were born with a wicked mind?????......

come on guys, not much Beatle bashing going on here, just some opinions (which I guess people aren't allowed to have) on guitar players.

Both great bands....
...The Beatles introduced me to the world of Rock n Roll, and a couple months later...

...The Rolling Stones introduced me to the world of guitars smileys with beer

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 10, 2014 00:21

Keith had some serious solo chops back then and the riffy style he came to be known for is clearly present.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: May 10, 2014 00:33

my opinion:
I have never seen Lennon play "lead" guitar and i dont think he was lead guitar player at all. if im wrong pls gimme some exsamples. Keith's solo is fast and furious and pretty tasteful.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 10, 2014 00:41

my opinion:
I have never seen Lennon play "lead" guitar and i dont think he was lead guitar player at all. if im wrong pls gimme some exsamples. Keith's solo is fast and furious and pretty tasteful.

Saw this on a web site....I cannot confirm this...

Long Tall Sally (First solo)
You Can't Do That - John Lead, George 12 string rhythm guitar.
Honey Pie - George & John both played lead
Get Back - John played Lead guitar on this, George on rhythm guitar.
For You Blue (lap steel)
I Want You (He and George both played lead)
Yer Blues (He and George both played lead, John the riff, George the stinging lead parts)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2014 02:12

....and you were born with a wicked mind?????......

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-10 10:32 by Rockman.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 10, 2014 02:24

john lennon had a pop at the stones quite a lot in those days.

he mentioned once that the beatles gave them their first hit, but forgot to mention that the stones by that time had written and recorded over 100 songs of their own, most of them great.

he obviously had issues, i just dont think the stones criticized the beatles as much.

the guitar solo in its all over now is superb.

i like the beatles and the music but sometimes lennon came across as a right A hole.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 10, 2014 04:37

I have a distinct memory of the first time I heard this song, and it was the bridge with the solo that cuased me to really take notice of it.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 10, 2014 06:03

buttons67

he mentioned once that the beatles gave them their first hit, but forgot to mention that the stones by that time had written and recorded over 100 songs of their own, most of them great.

The IBC demos, "Come On"/"I Want To Be Loved", and... ?

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: May 10, 2014 06:08

Aquamarine
OzHeavyThrobber
I agree with JL in that I don't think it's a very good solo. It doesn't make sense to my ears as it completely flies in the face of the laid back groove of the song. Just doesn't fit for me and I've always thought as much. That style is killer on "Carol" (obviously) but doesn't suit what's essentially a country song me finks.

I don't think the Valentinos could have ever been described as country, in any sense--anyway, to me the genius of this solo is that it took a song that could have belonged to any number of genres and rooted it firmly in rock and roll.

I'm not talking about the Valentinos. To be honest I don't even know who they are. The Stones version of the song to me is simple country is all. I just find the solo poorly timed/metered with repetitive my (and boring to begin with) loops that is completely out if keeping with the song is all.

But it doesn't bother me insofar as I like the song although not the production. May fave Keith lead ever is his ball tearer on "On no not you again". That's what I call awesome and completely appropriate to the song.
All just opinions anyway so no biggie smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 10, 2014 09:13

buttons67

your facts are wrong.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 10, 2014 09:46

OzHeavyThrobber

I'm not talking about the Valentinos. To be honest I don't even know who they are. The Stones version of the song to me is simple country is all.

They did the original version, which is as non-country as the Stones' version--I can't even see how you're hearing it that way. But as you say, it's all subjective!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 10, 2014 09:58

This song shows off the Stones twin guitar sound. I've mentioned this before in other threads, but when Keith talks about his and Brian's guitar weaving in the early days, I always think about the intro to this song.
Love the version on The TAMI Show especially Brian's guitar playing at the end, and also the bootleg audio Paris Olympia 65 with the French crowd singing along.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2014 11:52

buttons67

Mick and Keith had yet to start writing songs when The Rolling Stones were given I Wanna Be Your Man. smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 10, 2014 15:21

His Majesty
buttons67

Mick and Keith had yet to start writing songs when The Rolling Stones were given I Wanna Be Your Man. smiling smiley

I think I've finally figured out that "by that time" was supposed to mean "by the time John made that statement".

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2014 15:28

with sssoul
His Majesty
buttons67

I think I've finally figured out that "by that time" was supposed to mean "by the time John made that statement".

Ah, ok that make sense. thumbs up

I'll go get my dunce hat and sit in the corner. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: May 10, 2014 16:19

John Lennon was an over rated & insecure

Date: May 10, 2014 16:42

John Lennon was well-rated and insecure...

Date: May 10, 2014 18:09

I think John was kidding. He sure was boogying to the Stones in Rock and Roll Circus and had no qualms performing with Keith. This is fairly indicative of what kind of soloist he was:

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 10, 2014 18:20

matxil
McCartney was genius.

You mean like Mozart or Bach? eye popping smiley Macca is the (talented) author of a bunch of harmless silly melodies.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 10, 2014 18:49

dcba
matxil
McCartney was genius.

You mean like Mozart or Bach? eye popping smiley Macca is the (talented) author of a bunch of harmless silly melodies.

Yes, like Mozart and Bach!!!
Name me one other person in classic rock music, with so many memorable and flawless melodies!?!?!?

Brian Wilson? (Yes, he had some of it, but it stalled)

McCartney is a true genius. There is a reason why classical orchestras and even jazz musicians can play any McCartney tune by the melody alone. His melodies can be integrated to every possible musical style.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 11, 2014 00:28

liddas

End of the discussion.

C

You nailed it! Besides, the solo fits the song perfectly. It's a kind of unexpected outburst, and has a perfect buildup. As such, it sounds really unique, unlike many other solos by oh-so-perfect guitar players. What did Lennon expect? Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)?

End of discussion, indeed! But what's next? A claim that Satisfaction is built on one of the poorest riffs ever? Or what?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 11, 2014 00:59

DandelionPowderman
John Lennon was well-rated and insecure...

And maybe, maybe, John Lennon envied Mick and Keith, after all, for the band they were in, despite all that the Beatles were and had been! But knew, with all his own worth, it would have been impossible for him to have been there!

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: May 11, 2014 02:17

Got no dog in this fight

but I was just coincidentally listening to Slow Down as I'm reading this and I gotta say Lennon had a great rock n roll scream.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home