Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Guitar Solo on It's All Over Now
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 13, 2014 02:21

PAUL GAMBACCINI: "You're playing what sounds like kazoo on 'You're Sixteen,' Ringo's song."

PAUL MCCARTNEY: "It's not kazoo. It sounds like a kazoo, but it's me doing an imitation. [Does imitation of a saxophone.] It was put through a fuzz thing. It's a bit daft, really, because it winds up sounding like a kazoo. I could have just done it on a kazoo."

From the book Paul McCartney: in His Own Words

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 13, 2014 03:32

Then why does the liner notes for the Ringo album say it was a kazoo?

Producer Richard Perry says that Paul was in fact "singing" the part: "In fact, the solo on ‘You’re Sixteen,’ which sounds like a kazoo or something, was Paul singing very spontaneously as we played that track back, so he’s singing the solo on that.”

Source: [cbswnewhd.wordpress.com]

Nonetheless, it's still the only hit single--by anyone--to feature a kazoo-type solo... or something.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 13, 2014 09:02

MKjan
Come On
John is always the No 1 Rocker...

Ok horns, ok keyboards…thats it. the rest is annoying.

The Masters Voice Man...Lennons Voice is what's Rock'n'roll is all about..

2 1 2 0

Date: May 13, 2014 09:35

bleedingman
Lennon to George after Take 2: "What kind of solo was that?"

I think tht may be Paul commenting. But what great swinging versions. Ringo's kick drum in the breaks is fabulous.
I myself love the guitar solos in the Beatles songs. I can't really imagine what other kind of solos they should have been.
Someone pointed out George's quick solo in "all u need is love". it's live, and IMO very tasteful. george had a great sense of rhythm and placement. DEFINITELY from the less is more school.
And Lennon played way better guitar then he let on on record. Listen to "the End"; or his solo in "Get back" is fantastic. how can one say that is not a good solo?

Date: May 13, 2014 09:38

bleedingman
sonomastone
where in the book does it say this and what does keith say exactly?

Page 207-208:

"I liked John a lot. He was a silly sod in many ways. I used to criticize him for wearing his guitar too high. They used to wear them up by their chests, which really constricts your movement. It's like being handcuffed. 'Got your f*cking guitar under your chin, for Christ's sake. It ain't a violin.' I think they thought it was a cool thing. Gerry and the Pacemakers, all the Liverpool bands did it. We used to f*ck around like that. "Try a longer strap, John. The longer the strap, the better you play." I remember him nodding and taking it in. Next time I saw them, the straps were a little lower. I'd say, no wonder you don't swing, you know? No wonder you can only rock, no wonder you can't roll.

John could be quite direct. The only rude thing I can remember him saying to me was about my solo in "It's All Over Now". He thought it was crap. Maybe he got out of bed on the wrong side that day. OK, it certainly could have been better. But you disarmed the man. 'Yeah, it wasn't one of my best, John. Sorry it jars, old boy. You can play it any way you want.' But that he even bothered to listen meant that he was interested. He was so open. In anybody else, this could be embarrassing. But John had this honesty in his eyes that made you go for him. Had an intensity too. He was a one-off. Like me. We were attracted to each other in a strange way. Definitely a two-alpha clash to start with."
This is why I encded up tossing Keith's book aside. For me this reminiscing is ruined by him adding the comparisons with himself in there. "A one-off like me", "two alpha males clashing". Just like him constantly reminding people that he wrote all the great Stones songs.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1335
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home