Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones cover their heroes: an observation
Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 1, 2014 19:30

While waiting for the mailman to deliver a 'Best of Slim Harpo' CD, I realized that Exile on Main Street was the last Stones album to include a song by one of the band's early influences--in this case, Slim Harpo's 'Hip Shake.' I miss those bursts of Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Jimmy Reed, et al that showed up on earlier records. The Stones introduced me to many blues artists and set me off on a lifetime of discovery. I remember the light bulb that went on when I realized that Muddy Waters and McKinley Morganfield were one and the same, or hearing Howlin Wolf's 'Little Red Rooster' and comparing it to the Stones version. I guess the boys have grown out of that phase--both on record and (with a few exceptions) in live shows. I miss that. Out of all the things that I hear people want from the Stones now (new album, more Mick Taylor, etc) what I'd really like to hear is more of the early blues/R&B that they cut their teeth on.

More Chuck! (And I don't mean Leavell.)

Re: Stones cover their heroes: an observation
Posted by: johnh ()
Date: May 1, 2014 20:43

Hi, what about "Just my imagination" and "Harlem Shuffle".. maybe not blues but obviously just as important an influence?
Also I thought the version they did of "Honest I do" around the "Stripped" period was wonderful smiling smiley

john

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 21:06 by johnh.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 1, 2014 20:47

And side three of LYL.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 1, 2014 21:45

johnh
Hi, what about "Just my imagination" and "Harlem Shuffle".. maybe not blues but obviously just as important an influence?
Also I thought the version they did of "Honest I do" around the "Stripped" period was wonderful smiling smiley

john

I did not know about 'Honest I Do.' Where did you hear it?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 1, 2014 21:51

Also Willie Dixon's "Little Baby" was on Stripped.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 1, 2014 21:54

TheBadRabbit
johnh

john

I did not know about 'Honest I Do.' Where did you hear it?

First track on the Stripped Companion bootleg. It's a mystery that it didn't make the album..

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: May 1, 2014 21:59

"Honest I Do" can also be found on the soundtrack for the movie "Hope Floats". You'll need to be sure you get the original movie soundtrack. Itunes has the soundtrack, but the songs are by different artists than the songs in the movie. Thus, Itunes does not have the Stones' version of the track. You'd be better off getting the CD from Amazon.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 1, 2014 22:15

Well, Honest I Do was on their first album, so it's not really a more recent cover.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: May 1, 2014 22:21

The version of "Honest I Do" I'm talking about was recorded in 1994 or 1995; it's not the same version as what's on their first album.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 1, 2014 22:25

It's still a cover of the same song, and a pretty similar arrangement.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 2, 2014 04:53

"Rock Me, Baby" and "The Nearness Of You" on LIVE LICKS

Date: May 2, 2014 13:27

Here we go!

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: May 2, 2014 14:28

More Chuck Berry indeed!!!

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: May 2, 2014 19:26

What about "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" on IORR and "Going to A Go-Go" on Still Life ? Charlie loved the Motown drummers....

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 4, 2014 06:23

TheBadRabbit
While waiting for the mailman to deliver a 'Best of Slim Harpo' CD, I realized that Exile on Main Street was the last Stones album to include a song by one of the band's early influences--in this case, Slim Harpo's 'Hip Shake.' I miss those bursts of Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Jimmy Reed, et al that showed up on earlier records. The Stones introduced me to many blues artists and set me off on a lifetime of discovery. I remember the light bulb that went on when I realized that Muddy Waters and McKinley Morganfield were one and the same, or hearing Howlin Wolf's 'Little Red Rooster' and comparing it to the Stones version. I guess the boys have grown out of that phase--both on record and (with a few exceptions) in live shows. I miss that. Out of all the things that I hear people want from the Stones now (new album, more Mick Taylor, etc) what I'd really like to hear is more of the early blues/R&B that they cut their teeth on.

More Chuck! (And I don't mean Leavell.)

i agree. since their songwriting is so clearly not what it was, i think an album of covers ala johnny cash's later work would be great.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 4, 2014 09:25

That Stripped version of Honest I Do is great. I always loved it. When I was in high school we went to Paris for the 2nd year trip. I had a discman and some Stones CDs with me. Sitting at night in the hotel room with open windows, taking in the Parisian night, and listening to that song is one of my fondest memories from that time.

JumpingKentFlash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home