Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: She Smiled Sweetly
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 12, 2015 14:41

During my time away from here Andrew Loog Oldham told me that it was Brian, not Keith that played the organ on this track. smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2015 14:45

Live 2002:

Date: August 12, 2015 14:51

DandelionPowderman
Live 2002:

Messy, but beautiful. thumbs up

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 12, 2015 15:15

It is a lovely ballad, not outstandig but really nice. One of the very few Between-The-Buttons-songs that I like. Between The Buttons to me is The Stones shamelessly copying The Kinks. It feels like a Kinks-album handed to the Stones by Ray Davis who at that time was too lazy to record it.

Date: August 12, 2015 15:28

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
Live 2002:

Messy, but beautiful. thumbs up

Yeah, I like it!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 12, 2015 19:44

One of the better ballads by the Stones from an under-rated album. BTB was the Stones take on all the pop/rock stuff on the airwaves back then.

For a listen to a cover of SSS, check out Lindsey B.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 12, 2015 20:27

He did I Am Waiting as well, didn't he?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 12, 2015 20:49

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
Wry Cooter
Silver Dagger

I'd say that 66/67 was probably their most creative era and they had the good fortune of having peer pressure from the the likes of The Beatles and The Beach Boys who were also veering off the beaten pop track to come up with modern chamber music masterpieces like God Only Knows and Eleanor Rigby.

And I sure hear the Kinks on "Between the Buttons."

Oh God yeah - Face To Face must have had a big influence and those wonderful songs like Dead End Street, Well Respected Man and Dedicated Follower Of Fashion.

Connection owes a lot to Party Line as well. The verses on those two songs are very similar melodically ("I wish I had a more direct connection" vs. "Everything is going in the wrong direction") smiling smiley

A comment to those earlier posts:

Apart from the last obsevation from Dandelion, to me BETWEEN THE BUTTONS has really a different feeling and flavour to the Kinks. I thought so at that time and still do. A different horizon to me.

And that applies to "She Smiled Sweetly" as well, if someone would hold up "Ring the Bells" from KINK KONTROVERSY (Kinks 3rd album) as a model song. By the way, in case as a better suggestion than anything from FACE TO FACE, but not even then, I think, far from it.

There may, of course, be a parallel between "Got Love If You Want It", the last song on Kinks debut album THE KINKS (the first album I ever had) and "Cool, Calm, Collected". To me the songs still are different all the same.

And I have not said it, I have always deeply loved "She Smiled Sweetly". It is not necessarily the very best, so many Stones songs are among the best, no Stones song alone the best, but "She Smiled Sweetly" is in its own special way unique and a special gem to me. Subjectively even more than objectively.

In its turn: BETWEEN THE BUTTONS is the album that I am most fond of. The realization of that has contributed to make me stop ranking in detail between Stones albums. Because what qualities constitute an album as good or even "the best"? Instead BETWEEN THE BUTTONS is among approximately twelve albums that to me are their top albums, and I have become free from the compulsion to rank between those twelve.

Date: August 12, 2015 21:15

Something Happens To Me Yesterday is Kink-esque as well. So is the overall sound on this album + a few other songs. Contemporary music = what was popular at the time in swinging London.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 12, 2015 21:30

Lindsey B - I Am Waiting

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 12, 2015 21:38

Now only the smartphone: I never found BETWEEN THE BUTTONS Kinkesque then. I mentionned flavour and feel. I thought sound, too, but did not write it. I see no reason to change my position.

There was another poster, female, who also listened to the music then, that once uttered likewise.

I am so clumsy on the phone that I am unable to take part in drawn out exchanges, now even in a train.

Date: August 12, 2015 21:40

That's fair enough, Witness. It's only my opinion smiling smiley

I'm a big Kinks fan, btw..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-12 21:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 13, 2015 00:37

I'm another one who can't detect the particular "kinkiness" of Between The Buttons - unless it's just that a lot of people sounded a little bit like the Kinks that year. I think it's called parallel evolution.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2015 00:52

Same here Green Lady ... have never heard this so called Kink influence on Buttons

ROCKMAN

Date: August 13, 2015 01:31

Well, they did nick from Party Line for Connection.

Date: August 13, 2015 01:47

mmmmm yeah maybe HM but who was listenin' ta who ???

ROCKMAN

Date: August 13, 2015 01:53

Rockman
mmmmm yeah maybe HM but who was listenin' ta who ???

Party Line was recorded and released before Connection so I think they were definitely digging aome Kinks in 1966. smoking smiley

Date: August 13, 2015 01:59

.... Okay I'll go with ya but I'd love some proof for they were both working on those songs around the same time ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 13, 2015 02:03

Rockman
.... Okay I'll go with ya but I'd love some proof for they were both working on those songs around the same time ....

Face To Face was completed by June 1966. The sessions for Between The Buttons only began in August and ended in December, by which time Face To Face had been released.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 02:15

I've seen it printed as "smiles" both the title and lyrics for some lines. Present tense. Error? Or does Mick ever sing "smiles" even once?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 13, 2015 02:26

My take is that BTB was full of KINKS influence.........but they didn't get the real KINKS vibe.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-13 22:53 by NICOS.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 13, 2015 03:05

It's true Lindsey Buckingham has done both 'I Am Waiting' and 'She Smiled Sweetly'. He is a big fan of the Stones material from the 1966-1967 period, which I think you can clearly hear in a lot of his beautiful ballads.
They also recorded 'I Am Waiting' with Fleetwood Mac during the recording of 'Say You Will' from 2003, but they ended up not releasing it, so Lindsay did it for his solo album instead.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 13, 2015 05:48

Was this ever played live before like on the 1967 European tour? I've always loved this track and the live version from Roseland Ballroom in 2002 should have been included on the 2nd cd of LIVE LICKS

drinking smileyRe: Track Talk: She Smiled Sweetly
Date: August 13, 2015 09:35

Green Lady
I'm another one who can't detect the particular "kinkiness" of Between The Buttons - unless it's just that a lot of people sounded a little bit like the Kinks that year. I think it's called parallel evolution.

Yes, my sometimes faltering memory told me that it was you, Green Lady, who had expressed that point of view once before. And indeed it was.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 13, 2015 15:34

They seemed to have been influenced by Medieval Ballads....this one, Ruby Tuesday and She's A Rainbow ( to a lesser degree ) remind me of the old ballads sung by traveling mintrals. There are a few others that fit into this category. Dylan might have influenced them lyrically but I'm talking about the melodies.

Re: drinking smileyRe: Track Talk: She Smiled Sweetly
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 13, 2015 16:10

Witness
Green Lady

Yes, my sometimes faltering memory told me that it was you, Green Lady, who had expressed that point of view once before. And indeed it was.

Oh dear. If I'm starting to repeat myself I'd better see my doctor and take the dementia test. Let's see: who is the Prime Minister? It's that nice Mr. Wilson, isn't it? And what DID I have for breakfast this morning?

Re: drinking smileyRe: Track Talk: She Smiled Sweetly
Date: August 13, 2015 17:10

Green Lady
Witness
Green Lady

Oh dear. If I'm starting to repeat myself I'd better see my doctor and take the dementia test. Let's see: who is the Prime Minister? It's that nice Mr. Wilson, isn't it? And what DID I have for breakfast this morning?

More or less
[www.iorr.org]

Scroll down!

I knew that I was repeating myself.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 20, 2015 20:08

muenke
It was nicely used at the film "The Royal Tenenbaums":

Sort of a Bildungsroman song that fit well. Wes Anderson said he tries to fit the Stones music into each of his movies.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 20, 2015 20:14

I hear the Kinks loud and clear in "Between the Buttons"
However i haven't studied chronologies to see who was influenced by who
For example "village green preservation society" has some similarities to BTB but was released 2 years later

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 20, 2015 21:27

Was great at Roseland

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home