Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Singers who can't sing anymore
Posted by: floho ()
Date: April 28, 2014 02:49

The 2 That first came to mine were John Sebastian from the Lovin Spoonful and Paul Young who had a number of hit singles in the eighties, both whose voices are shot. Also David Coverdale and Bryan Ferry from the recent Coachella video

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-28 09:44 by bv.

Re: Singers who can't sing anymore
Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 28, 2014 03:11

Roger Daltry......

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: April 28, 2014 03:13

Saw Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson a few years ago and he was barely audible - the band didn't even play "Aqualung" because I don't think he could hit the notes.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 28, 2014 03:51

Axl Rose

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: April 28, 2014 03:54

Elton John, it is so bad.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 03:56

1cdog
Roger Daltry......
. Roger Daltrey????? Are you sure ??

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 04:04

1cdog
Roger Daltry......

Roger sounded great on the tour last year.

Others that are in worse shape: Elton John, Keith, Mick (shouting and cheerleading is not singing), Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips, off key), Joan Jett (listen to her playing on the Nirvana tribute - kinda weak), Ozzy (sans special effects), Axl (welcome to the jungle, err, middle age)

People who defy their age while still singing: Art Garfunkel (not rock, but the guy still sounds amazing), Springsteen (not as strong and the high notes are hit or miss, but not bad), Bowie

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 28, 2014 04:20

John Lodge - Bass player with The Moody Blues. He now mouths the words as backups pick up his parts.

John Sebastian like floho said

Robert Plant - Changed his approach to fit his range

The twerp from Smashing Pumpkin. He never could to begin with.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 28, 2014 04:25

More Hot Rocks

Robert Plant - Changed his approach to fit his range

Which is hardly the same as "can't sing anymore."

Roger Daltrey can sing fine. And (because I'd rather focus on the positive) Steve Winwood has hardly lost any of his range, it's astonishing.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 28, 2014 04:25

Poor Justin Hayward he's got to put up with this

Listen to Lodge at about 2:30

Date: April 28, 2014 04:29

I've always maintained that John Fogerty has sounded incredible over the years. He still basically sounds like what he did in the 60s.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 04:47

I remember seeing the Moody Blues in the late 70s and John Lodge was terrible then. And the band was lousy in general.

I agree with the Robert Plant comments. He has changed how he sings, and I frankly like his work now much better now than I did with Zep. For me, he was a weak link in Zep and I was never a fan as a result. Listening to his recent work, he is great..esp on his record with Alison Kraus (sp?)

Date: April 28, 2014 04:50

Surprised to see people say that about Robert Plant. Sure he's not like he was in the 70s, but he KILLED at the Zep reunion. He doesn't like to revisit that stuff, because its probably most difficult for him of everyone in the band, but he did it for the fans and for Ahmet and he did excellent IMO. And I was ready to judge him extremely harshly.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 05:26

Bob Dylan of course!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 28, 2014 05:35

John Sebastian still parties like crazy and hits the stage so horse he can barely speak. He thinks he's fooling people but he's delusional. Plant still has some chops but he was never a natural, he puts out a noble effort and stays within himself. Rod Stewart is terrible, which is really tragic.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 28, 2014 06:47

Daltrey's voice was inconsistent between about 1997 and 2008. But he had some kind of laser procedure on his throat around 2009 was much stronger during the recent Quadrophenia shows. He's also really good on the new album with Wilko Johnson.

As for Plant, the wail was rendered extinct about 40 years ago and was replaced by an actual singer. His solo work has been consistently interesting.

I saw Fogerty last fall. He sang as well as ever, and his guitar chops have improved over the years.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: April 28, 2014 08:56

andrea66
1cdog
Roger Daltry......
. Roger Daltrey????? Are you sure ??

cool smiley He is just fine. He did have a procedure in 2010 that was a complete success. He got croaky for a couple years. He had better be fine because he is due in the studio in a few weeks!

Posted by: island01 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 09:07

Jon Bon Jovi - what a voice that man had in 80's and specially 90's.

Re: OT: Singers who can't sing anymore
Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 10:28

Why has no one said Macca yet? I see him missing a lot of high notes on live videos since at least the Olympics/Jubilee/probably earlier.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 11:03

Keith?!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 11:33

Macnee2
Why has no one said Macca yet? I see him missing a lot of high notes

And that means he can not sing? First I would strongly argue with the "a lot" part and secondly even with not hitting some hight notes he is still one of the absolutely best pop/rock singers around.

If according to you a singer who doesn't have a voice range he had 40 years ago "can not sing," why don't you mention Mick? Or any other singer really.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 28, 2014 11:53

Keith?!

Actually I think he sings better today than in the 60's - 70's.
Maybe his voice isn't better but it suits good to the songs he's written.

Posted by: SixesandSevens ()
Date: April 28, 2014 12:13

Tony Rice, the king of bluegrass guitar.

Sadly in the 90s he developed a condition that made it literally impossible for him to sing. He sang like an angel back in the day.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 28, 2014 12:21

The moderator added "OT" to the title of the thread... So this can't be Stones-related!grinning smiley

A good one, BV!thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 28, 2014 12:30

1cdog
Roger Daltry......

You need to hear the new album he's just made with Wilko Johnson.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 28, 2014 12:38

Happy24
Macnee2

And that means he can not sing? First I would strongly argue with the "a lot" part and secondly even with not hitting some hight notes he is still one of the absolutely best pop/rock singers around.

If according to you a singer who doesn't have a voice range he had 40 years ago "can not sing," why don't you mention Mick? Or any other singer really.

I heard somewhere Mick still sings in the same key as when he recorded the songs.
And that is supposed to be a rare feat.
But I don't know if that's true and probably off topic.

About Macca: still a great vocalist, but his televised performanes were a bit off. Saw him the last time about 2 years ago and he was fantastic.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 28, 2014 13:06

BowieStone
Happy24
Macnee2

I heard somewhere Mick still sings in the same key as when he recorded the songs.
And that is supposed to be a rare feat.
But I don't know if that's true and probably off topic.

About Macca: still a great vocalist, but his televised performanes were a bit off. Saw him the last time about 2 years ago and he was fantastic.

Mick doesn't sing anything challenging. By and large, he tends to shout around A,B,D and E. Sometimes F and G and his style doesn't rely on precision singing in the same way as some of those mentioned. It's more about attitude. Always has been.
For the most part Macca actually sings a melody and the quality of his note hitting and tone is variable. Comparing the two is difficult because of the difference in styles. As a Macca/Fab fan, sometimes he's great (if straining), other times i wanna run and hide coz his voice just can't do it anymore. Still he's a cluck of a lot better than Chuck Berry so there's plenty of room for deterioration before we need get too worried.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: April 28, 2014 13:32

Daltry, just painful to listen to

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 28, 2014 13:34

I agree about Daltrey;
and I saw Ray Davies (the Kinks) doing a couple of songs on a tv show recently, and that was rather painful too...

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: April 28, 2014 14:11

Linda Ronstadt is a beauty extinguished. Macca's ballads show up his creaky voice but his rockers still show some juice. Stephen Stills is beginning to go too. Does anyone else think he's maybe suffered with his health?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2125
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home