Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: When Buddy Guy blew my sock off!
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 21, 2014 15:05

Hi guys,

Saturday was the day I've been waiting for for many years. I saw Buddy Guy play live!
He is in Australia for the Byron Bay Bluesfest. Every year I want to go because they always have an amazing line up. Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, John Mayer, Gary Clark jnr, Dave Matthews band, Greg Allman, the Wailers and many many more. When I saw that Buddy Guy would be playing I definitely wanted to go. Unfortunately, I couldn't go for the whole long weekend but luckily he was also performing at the Sydney opera house so I choose to stay here and just go to the opera house. I had great seats and took my girlfriend with me. She is not big on music so I had to explain her who we were going to see. I said, you will see the greatest and best blues guitarist ever. She said, I believe he is great but it's way too subjective to call him the greatest. So I showed her all the quotes from Jimmy Hendrix to Eric Clapton to Jeff Beck. I showed her the Kennedy centre awards thing so she would understand what a living legend this 77 year old man is. I showed her the Rock 'n Roll hall of Fame performance with Jeff Beck so could see how much he is admired by Jeff beck and, of course, I showed her Champagne and Reefer with the Stones. She thought it was amazing that someone is so loved and admired by everyone and thought it was too cool that Keith gave him his guitar.

Now, on to the show. On the way there I apologized that I might get a bit too excited and I couldn't stop babbling on and on about Buddy and told her every stupid little fact that wasn't all that interesting to her but she was very nice and kept acting interested.
Charlie Musselwhite opened and what a treat that was. Great music. Then, after a little break, the moment I've been waiting for for 20 years (I'm only 34) finally came. The band started playing and The Man walked on stage and the crowd went crazy! I had goosebumps everywhere and as pathetic as it sounds, I just sat there trying not too well up and got very emotional to see such a legend live on stage.
He started playing and oh my god, it was unbelievable how great and distinct his guitar playing is. Amazing energy in his performance and voice. He made jokes between songs, paid tribute to Howlin Wolf, Eric Clapton and John Lee Hooker. he played a bit of Boom Boom and he showed everybody the difference between a great guitar player and everybody else. It's such an easy lick, I always thought that I could play it really well but when I saw Buddy play it, it was something different. So smooth, so nice. And if you closed your eyes you could easily be fooled and think that Hooker was singing it. He managed to really capture his voice as well.
I could go on and on about every song he played but it was just mind blowing good. I've never seen someone play a guitar like that. He played with his pick, his fingers, his "tongue", his bum, a drum stick, a towel. Yes, a towel!

Amazing concert, great entertainment. I was absolutely blown away.

He is in my opinion (and many others) the greatest there ever will be and even when I thought I knew what to expect he absolutely blew my socks off!!!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Re: OT: When Buddy Guy blew my sock off!
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 21, 2014 15:42

I needed a post like that first thing on a Monday morning. Thanks Wuddy! Isn't it great that just when you think you've seen it all and are ready for everything, someone will come along and blow your socks off?

ONe last thing: How'd your girlfriend end up feeling about the concert?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 21, 2014 17:00

Wuudy, I am with you on Buddy Guy. I am not a model but was one of the lucky few who were selected to be in the audience at the Beacon (Shine A Light). Buddy Guy's performance was one of the highlights. Buddy is a BOSS. The man commands the stage with so much joy and energy it can be startling. In Shine A Light when he first belts out those lines, it blew the roof off the house. The sound guy had his mic just a bit too hot, and then Buddy BELTED OUT those lines. It was electric. BTW, I am 31 so can relate to the whole being born in the wrong decade thing. We're making up lost time brother!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 21, 2014 17:04

He's always been an exceptional player and performer. Mr. Guy and Mr. Wells are SLAMMING in this clip.

CBII

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 21, 2014 17:05

He only blew one sock off?

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 21, 2014 17:07

This is insanity. A smoking version of a children's standard...

CBII

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 21, 2014 18:06

Buddy Guy is ace. Unfortunately, I've never seen him live. Last weekend a friend of mine showed me this video and I think this is great: Buddy playing in 1968 and Jimi Hendrix watching him play.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 21, 2014 18:28

I once saw him at a club where, during a solo, he walked down thru the crowd, over to the bar, downed a drink, got back on stage, without skipping a beat.

Maybe this was part of his routine, but it was still fun to see. A great performer, only wished he played a bit longer.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 21, 2014 18:43

Saw him at Wolf Trap in Vienna, VA a few years ago. John Mayall did an hour opening set. He and Buddy were both in top form. Buddy walked through the entire Pavilion playing some extended John Lee Hooker and Albert King licks. The crowd loved it; Buddy is quite the showman and really commands the stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-21 18:51 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 21, 2014 19:20

I have seen him live about 3 or 4 times and he has NEVER failed to raise the roof, off of every single place I've seen him play. Outstanding! He is a real living treasure and puts on an amazing show. So glad you finally got to see him!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 21, 2014 21:34

What about your other sock? Or were you in the middle of changing your socks at the time?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 21, 2014 22:00

Love Buddy! Have seen him many times, and met him several times.
Here he is at his Legends Club in Chicago in 2012 signing an autograph for me... very gracious and friendly! thumbs up

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: April 21, 2014 23:32

Saw him at Notodden Blues Festival in 2009, the year he won the Grammy for Contemporary Blues Album of the year. Fantastic guy!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 22, 2014 01:38

I saw him finally last July for the first time--I wasn't wearing socks, but if I had been, both feet would have been naked by the end. Astonishing playing (all over the theatre, he ended up in the lobby at one point), and very generous about giving solo time to his other guitar player--or maybe he was just pacing himself. But a fantastic show by anyone's standards.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: April 22, 2014 03:43

Saw him at Greek Theater in LA a few years ago on a bill with George Thorogood and Elvin Bishop. He blew them away at age 70 or more! Fantastic show… He walked up all the way to the top of the stands and back playing his guitar the whole time

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 22, 2014 05:22

Been a fan for many many years. Here's a tiny portion of my Buddy Guy archives.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 22, 2014 05:24

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 22, 2014 08:03

mr_dja

ONe last thing: How'd your girlfriend end up feeling about the concert?

Peace,
Mr DJA

She thought it was truly great. She said that most of it was probably lost on her as she's not into music that much but fully understood from the moment he walked on stage that she was watching something exceptional. She even got very moved when he played Skin Deep.

71Tele
He only blew one sock off?

I forgot to put the other one on from all the excitement winking smiley

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-22 08:21 by Wuudy.

Date: April 22, 2014 10:07

Catched him live at a blues festival in the 90s. Mr. Guy is a true showman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 22, 2014 13:34

awesome story. buddy guy is the real deal !!!!!!!!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 22, 2014 15:35

Wuudy

He is in my opinion (and many others) the greatest there ever will be

Agree 100%. Cheers, mate! smileys with beer

Drew

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 22, 2014 15:55

I saw Buddy Guy about 20 years ago as support act for George Benson. Both did a very great performance. I remember, that Buddy was going into the audience (was seated) and allowed some people to play also his guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-21 17:29 by Ladykiller.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: April 22, 2014 22:08

Buddy must be slipping if he only blew off one sock Wuudy. Glad you had agreat time!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 22, 2014 22:18

What if you weren't wearing socks?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 22, 2014 23:36

Just seen your review of your great night with the music of Buddy Guy.

Wonder if he got together with Jeff Beck, who I heard was on 3rd day at Byron Bay Fest.

Will have to look at reviews, cos I know Jeff is also due or already played Sydney Opera House.

Oz is gonna have a good year in 2014 with these great acts and The Rolling Stones October -November time.

Had some good times in Oz many ,many years ago and may try to get there for the Stones in OZ and NZ. >grinning smiley<

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1551
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home