Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106Next
Current Page: 104 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 27, 2023 00:05

chriseganstar
paulywaul
chriseganstar
paulywaul
Anyone who is seeing the mighty WHO at the EDEN Project this evening .... reports please !
I'm going....weather is perfect too !

Thank you Chris, I look forward to your comments .....
The Mighty Who were indeed mighty bloody good tonight at Eden. Rogers voice is unbelievably good, fantastic set as described previously for other gigs. Acoustics at the Eden Project are the best you can get, natural bowl. Smallest venue on the tour...6,000 max in glorious summer weather. A true privilege to have witnessed 2¼ hours of the most stunning music that's been the backdrop to all of us of a certain age !

Thanks for the comments. So, "as usual" one might say, they didn't disappoint ! Of the countless times I've seen them, they've never ever disappointed. Amazing band live. And the orchestra thing does wonders for some of those magnificent songs of theirs. I kind of hope that we haven't seen the last of them, but after the Sandringham thing, I have a feeling of dread that we might just have !?

GULP !

That being so, I have the ticket stubs, the film clips, and the memories of shared gigs with friends. And so it goes ..........

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 27, 2023 02:39

glimmertwinz
I can’t see that happening tbh. 60th Anniversary is too close not to round it off

Yes, I have a feeling they'll be back...60 and Counting...LONG LIVE ROCK!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 5, 2023 03:01

[m.youtube.com]

I hadn’t seen this before!

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: August 5, 2023 04:55

I'd love to see them do the Who Are You album live (won't happen since Roger doesn't like some of the songs and is superstitious about others) or Quad live with the orchestra.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 14, 2023 22:00

The upcoming boxed set looks truly amazing!! Why oh Why can't the Stones do something like this for the 60s albums with outtakes etc???

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mirko ()
Date: August 15, 2023 00:18

It would be fair enough to say that is a video of superdeluxeediton.com
Paul Sinclair, the owner of the website, is doing a good job!

Date: August 27, 2023 19:46

I wonder how the Stones would have sounded with Pete Townshed next to Keith Richards.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 9, 2023 07:14

stumbled across using more club specific key words, some true gems on his channel, wonder if he got Keith there?

[youtu.be]

Roger Daltrey of The Who sat in with Jack Tempchin's "Big Monday" band and sang three songs. The video begins with some footage of the backstage warm-up before the show. Out in the club, the audience included Pamela Anderson and then-boyfriend Kid Rock.

00:00 - club exterior
00:28 - backstage
04:30 - audience shots
05:05 - intro and plugging in
07:33 - "The Kids Are Alright"
13:00 - "You've Really Got a Hold on Me"
16:43 - "Stand by Me" [duet with Terry Reid]
21:43 - credits

Roger Daltrey - vocal, guitar
Terry Reid - vocal
Bernard Fowler - vocal [first two songs]
Waddy Wachtel - lead guitar
Jack Tempchin - guitar
"Rick the Bass Player" Rosas - bass
Phil Jones - drums

"The Kids Are Alright" written by Peter Dennis Blandford Townshend.
ABKCO Music Inc / BMI

"You've Really Got a Hold on Me" written by Smokey Robinson.
Jobete Music Co. Inc. / ASCAP

"Stand by Me" written by Ben E. King, Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller.
Sony/ATV Songs LLC / BMI

Soundtrack mix for "The Kids Are Alright" and "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" was by Richard Bosworth. The audio for "Stand by Me" is from the camcorder microphone.

Videography & editing by Electric Earl

© Copyright 2021 Jack Tempchin. All Rights Reserved.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 15, 2023 07:57

The superdeluxe edition (109 tracks!) of Who's Next/Lifehouse is already up on YouTube, Spotify and some other streaming services.

From what I've listened so far, this is a great release. Many songs are sounding better than never and the 1971 live concert at San Francisco Civic Auditorium is stellar.

A big shoutout to the late great Nicky Hopkins, whose playing shines throughout many of these tracks.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 15, 2023 12:21

Cristiano Radtke

The superdeluxe edition (109 tracks!) of Who's Next/Lifehouse is already up on YouTube, Spotify and some other streaming services.

From what I've listened so far, this is a great release. Many songs are sounding better than never and the 1971 live concert at San Francisco Civic Auditorium is stellar.

A big shoutout to the late great Nicky Hopkins, whose playing shines throughout many of these tracks.

Agree about the SF show. I bothered the neighbors with that yesterday. Can't get enough of Pete's boiler suit/Doc Martens phase.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 15, 2023 17:21

Cristiano Radtke

$69.99 at iTunes Store.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 15, 2023 22:00

Listening on Spotify. This set is simply awesome. 300€ is still too much for me so I'm fine with Spotify. The San Francisco concert is so @#$%& great. Awesome!

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: September 15, 2023 23:14

Can't wait to listen to the new release on Spotify.

Any rumors about them coming around to the states again, please?!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 16, 2023 01:11

Enjoying this a bunch. The large majority of it I've already heard, so I kinda had to figure out what I already had vs. what I didn't.

I never had the San Fran concert and thats excellent. The Young Vic one I had from the Who's Next Deluxe Edition years ago but this is complete whereas that was missing like 4 songs. So cool to complete that but not as "new".

The singles discs on discs 5 and 6 seemed to resemble a lot of what's on Odds & Sods for the most part. So its cool to have them all collected in one place, but not a ton really "new" either. Just several remixes and takes.

Discs 2 and 3 were always what I was most interesting and most of it is the same as what I had from some other Lifehouse release, The Lifehouse Chronicles, which I'm actually pretty sure I got it from someone here. Just a quick comparison on my end:

This set has There's A Fortune In Those Hills and Finally Over that the Lifehouse Chronicles didn't have.

The Lifehouse Chronicles had demos of I Don't Even Know Myself, Relay, Join Together, Put The Money Down, New Song, Sister Disco and Music Must Change that I don't see on this set.

The only song I couldn't quite place is the Lifehouse Chronicles has a 10 minute instrumental version of Baba O'Riley, which seems closest to the 13 minute original demo thats present in this set, but obviously there's a 3 minute difference. Everything else looks like a pretty close 1 for 1 comparison.

Either way, the set is great to hear Pete's demos for this unrealized project. I would suggest seeking out the Lifehouse Chronicles for some of those other demos, cuase the ones for the non Who Are You songs are truly great and different than the final released versions.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 17, 2023 04:35

RisingStone
bam
RisingStone
keefriffhards
I just don't want the Stones carrying on like the Who and Aerosmith, just a pathetic image of their former selves.

I haven’t seen Aerosmith for ages (last time 2004), but The Who were amazing when I caught them in Chester-le-Street in July.

The Who can be amazing, and still be a pale shadow of their former selves. When firing on all cylinders, the original 4 members were incredibly powerful.

Well, the last public performance by The Who with the original four members was at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Canada, October 21, 1976, which is 47 years ago. After that, the group played three performances in the TV studios as well as two at a small theatre for the purpose of documentary shooting before Keith Moon’s death in 1978. Do you say the hundreds of the shows they played afterwords to this day were by the group that is “a pale shadow of their former selves”? And did keefriffhards mean it that way when he put they are “just a pathetic image of their former selves”?

If so, through the large part of their career (for 45 out of 60 years), they have been a shadow or pathetic image of their former selves.

I’ve seen The Who with Keith, Kenny Jones, Ox and Zak, and Pino and Zak. They put on a great show every time (except the time Roger had to leave to get Oxygen). The last time I saw them with Entwistle, at a Bridge School Benefit in 1999, I thought they were maybe 60% of what they’d been —- but they were still the best band on a bill with Neil, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, etc. After that, they had even less power -- but could still be superb. IMHO they can be amazing today — but also be a pale shadow of the power, skill, and fury they once brought to the stage.

Now, back to praising the Lifehouse release.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 17, 2023 05:33

bam
RisingStone
bam
RisingStone
keefriffhards
I just don't want the Stones carrying on like the Who and Aerosmith, just a pathetic image of their former selves.

I haven’t seen Aerosmith for ages (last time 2004), but The Who were amazing when I caught them in Chester-le-Street in July.

The Who can be amazing, and still be a pale shadow of their former selves. When firing on all cylinders, the original 4 members were incredibly powerful.

Well, the last public performance by The Who with the original four members was at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Canada, October 21, 1976, which is 47 years ago. After that, the group played three performances in the TV studios as well as two at a small theatre for the purpose of documentary shooting before Keith Moon’s death in 1978. Do you say the hundreds of the shows they played afterwords to this day were by the group that is “a pale shadow of their former selves”? And did keefriffhards mean it that way when he put they are “just a pathetic image of their former selves”?

If so, through the large part of their career (for 45 out of 60 years), they have been a shadow or pathetic image of their former selves.

I’ve seen The Who with Keith, Kenny Jones, Ox and Zak, and Pino and Zak. They put on a great show every time (except the time Roger had to leave to get Oxygen). The last time I saw them with Entwistle, at a Bridge School Benefit in 1999, I thought they were maybe 60% of what they’d been —- but they were still the best band on a bill with Neil, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, etc. After that, they had even less power -- but could still be superb. IMHO they can be amazing today — but also be a pale shadow of the power, skill, and fury they once brought to the stage.

I never saw The Who with Moony. My first Who show was Oakland 1989, with John Entwistle and Simon Philips, the only time I have seen and heard “The Ox” play in person. I have since added another five shows, i.e. Pete & Roger AKA The Who. They were all amazing in their way. In some ways they are in a similar situation to the Stones today — Mick ‘n’ Keef AKA The Rolling Stones.

You have a “glass half full” or “glass half empty” in your hand. Regardless of either take you choose, you can still enjoy the rest of the wine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 17:32 by RisingStone.

Date: September 17, 2023 06:00

I saw them on the Quadrophenia tour in what, 2012? Listen, I obviously know that its not "The Who" but its Who's Left, and thats enough for me. I'm not trying to justify that they should tour as The Who when its just those two. I'd probably prefer they prefer as Pete & Rog, but it is what it is, and at least its a great band. Zak is phenomenal and the whole band is solid. Pete still sounds like a monster so I give him credit. I also was very happy I saw them doing Quad, because that was plenty of deep cuts and then a whole encore of hits that kinda filled everything out nicely. Nothing I was dying to hear that they didn't play. Also, during Won't Get Fooled Again, they had a @#$%& up that Pete seemed to think Roger came in too early or something, even though Roger was right on time. Roger got annoyed and maybe left the stage(?) leaving Pete to finish the song. It was weird, but it was a ramshackle LIVE performance and honestly, that felt very Who to me, so it was enough.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: September 17, 2023 10:42

RollingFreak
I saw them on the Quadrophenia tour in what, 2012? Listen, I obviously know that its not "The Who" but its Who's Left, and thats enough for me. I'm not trying to justify that they should tour as The Who when its just those two.

Sorry but it's exactly the same with The Rolling Stones without Charlie, Bill, Brian or Mick (Taylor)...

Date: September 17, 2023 17:09

albop
RollingFreak
I saw them on the Quadrophenia tour in what, 2012? Listen, I obviously know that its not "The Who" but its Who's Left, and thats enough for me. I'm not trying to justify that they should tour as The Who when its just those two.

Sorry but it's exactly the same with The Rolling Stones without Charlie, Bill, Brian or Mick (Taylor)...

I've never argued that I agree with the Stones still being called The Stones lol. Certainly not without Charlie in my mind. Up until then, I bought it with 3 originals and one longterm. Can't have everything. But I don't consider them The Rolling Stones since Charlie died.

Date: September 17, 2023 17:28

RollingFreak
I've never argued that I agree with the Stones still being called The Stones lol. Certainly not without Charlie in my mind. Up until then, I bought it with 3 originals and one longterm. Can't have everything. But I don't consider them The Rolling Stones since Charlie died.

So you don’t think Hackney Diamonds is a new Rolling Stones album but two tracks Charlie plays on?

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 17, 2023 20:14

bam
RisingStone
bam
RisingStone
keefriffhards

Replying to your comment on the tour thread, I'm also OK with Mick reducing movement on stage, I'd welcome it if it improves his singing and gives his vocals the much needed power that's missing, the sort of power Roger is able to still create.

Back to not sure what they can offer live in 2024 after a 2 year pause, it goes without saying Keith gets rusty, but more worrying last time out in 22' was a very much diminished Ronnie who for most of the decades he's been with the Stones has been the weak link anyway, ok he got his shit together for a while to cover Keith but really he can't cover himself most of the time.
If they do make it to do some shows next year i hope they bring back Taylor or someone to strengthen the sound. Also as time went on Charlie is greatly misses on some songs like PIB.
It's a bit like a boxer who goes into the ring once too often with Mick, seeing him lately clearly underweight and looking hagard i can't see him pulling it off after the injury but i hope to God he and the rest of them prove me wrong as i don't want them to be like THE WHO this year, it's so disappointing to see them like this, no where near the energy level required to play this music.

Date: September 17, 2023 20:56

keefriffhards
Replying to your comment on the tour thread, I'm also OK with Mick reducing movement on stage, I'd welcome it if it improves his singing and gives his vocals the much needed power that's missing, the sort of power Roger is able to still create.

Back to not sure what they can offer live in 2024 after a 2 year pause, it goes without saying Keith gets rusty, but more worrying last time out in 22' was a very much diminished Ronnie who for most of the decades he's been with the Stones has been the weak link anyway, ok he got his shit together for a while to cover Keith but really he can't cover himself most of the time.
If they do make it to do some shows next year i hope they bring back Taylor or someone to strengthen the sound. Also as time went on Charlie is greatly misses on some songs like PIB.
It's a bit like a boxer who goes into the ring once too often with Mick, seeing him lately clearly underweight and looking hagard i can't see him pulling it off after the injury but i hope to God he and the rest of them prove me wrong as i don't want them to be like THE WHO this year, it's so disappointing to see them like this, no where near the energy level required to play this music.

A couple of questions: 1. When did you see The Who live for the first time? 2. Did you see them this year? If so, what’s your take on the show?

I understand your concerns about Keith and Ronnie. If I remember your post from last year correctly, you saw Hyde Park #2. Am I right? I attended both HP shows, and on night #1 Keith was great, his play spot on. On night #2, not so much. Ronnie was more or less the same on both nights. Erratic is the word to describe Keith’s play these days. He may have been like that for a long time, though — more and more so as time goes by, perhaps.

I felt the Stones last year and The Who this year were both equally brilliant in their respective ways.

Date: September 17, 2023 22:40

RisingStone
keefriffhards

A couple of questions: 1. When did you see The Who live for the first time? 2. Did you see them this year? If so, what’s your take on the show?

I understand your concerns about Keith and Ronnie. If I remember your post from last year correctly, you saw Hyde Park #2. Am I right? I attended both HP shows, and on night #1 Keith was great, his play spot on. On night #2, not so much. Ronnie was more or less the same on both nights. Erratic is the word to describe Keith’s play these days. He may have been like that for a long time, though — more and more so as time goes by, perhaps.

I felt the Stones last year and The Who this year were both equally brilliant in their respective ways.

I saw The Who for the first time at Wembley Arena in 89' a bit weird because Pete said he had tinnitus and played accustic guitar behind a soundproofing screen hehe.
Seen them many times since and they were always brilliant, over the years Rogers voice has had its ups and downs but it was strong recently.
To be honest Pete is my man, just love his enthusiasm in his playing and back in the day he was incredible to watch, kind of fronted the band more than the front man.

Last year i attended the second Hyde Park show, a bit disappointing from Keith as you pointed out but from the shows I've seen on YouTube especially Berlin Keith was getting back to a good standard of playing again, but now two years off, it's not going to be good is it.

Can't believe you remembered my post, i don't remember anything much from last year haha.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 22:51 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 17, 2023 23:37

keefriffhards
RisingStone
keefriffhards

I saw The Who for the first time at Wembley Arena in 89' a bit weird because Pete said he had tinnitus and played accustic guitar behind a soundproofing screen hehe.
Seen them many times since and they were always brilliant, over the years Rogers voice has had its ups and downs but it was strong recently.
To be honest Pete is my man, just love his enthusiasm in his playing and back in the day he was incredible to watch, kind of fronted the band more than the front man.

Last year i attended the second Hyde Park show, a bit disappointing from Keith as you pointed out but from the shows I've seen on YouTube especially Berlin Keith was getting back to a good standard of playing again, but now two years off, it's not going to be good is it.

Can't believe you remembered my post, i don't remember anything much from last year haha.

They also had a two-year touring break between 2019 and 2021 and Keith came back stronger in 2021 than he was before the pandemic. So I wouldn't worry about that, especially since they have been working on the album.

Date: September 18, 2023 04:23

keefriffhards
RisingStone
keefriffhards

Like you, 1989 is the year I saw my first Who show at the Oakland Stadium, CA (August 29 to be exact). So we are on the same boat as regards our attending history of their live performances. We both missed the Moony-era Who, and in that respect, your view of their “pathetic image of their former selves” was born later than the post-Moony Who (1979-) that bam describes as their “pale shadow of their former selves”. There is a difference between the two perspectives, and food for thought there.

Sorry to bother you, let me repeat my second question you didn’t give me an answer for — did you see this year’s Who show with the orchestra?

And I remember your post from last year for we discussed the matter, Keith’s guitar play at Hyde Park, then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-18 07:36 by RisingStone.

Date: September 18, 2023 10:52

No didn't see this years show.

I can still compare The Who to the days of Moon, there's so much incredible footage available through the years.
As you say, The Who on a bad day is still a great show, but I'm a bit of a shallow person in some ways, seeing old guys hardly move doesn't cut it for me, this music requires a level of energy to do it justice and unless it's Dylan i won't pay the sort of money they are charging and travel to see old farts play the warhorses anymore.
Dylan always offers something different and creative, i wish I'd got into him 40 years ago, the body of work from that man is blowing my mind daily, its limitless genius.

Date: September 18, 2023 15:35

keefriffhards

I can still compare The Who to the days of Moon, there's so much incredible footage available through the years.
As you say, The Who on a bad day is still a great show, but I'm a bit of a shallow person in some ways, seeing old guys hardly move doesn't cut it for me, this music requires a level of energy to do it justice and unless it's Dylan i won't pay the sort of money they are charging and travel to see old farts play the warhorses anymore.
Dylan always offers something different and creative, i wish I'd got into him 40 years ago, the body of work from that man is blowing my mind daily, its limitless genius.

Go back and see the posts that started on top of the page 102 on this thread by those who attended The Who show this year, including one who had seen them with Keith Moon. Praise after praise, literally. They may have different views from you or bam.

Wish you had gone out of the way to catch one show…

Date: September 18, 2023 16:00

RisingStone
keefriffhards

Go back and see the posts that started on top of the page 102 on this thread by those who attended The Who show this year, including one who had seen them with Keith Moon. Praise after praise, literally. They may have different views from you or bam.

Wish you had gone out of the way to catch one show…

Just listening to some of the orchestra tour again, it's inspiring, spinetingly good, Roger is singing better than for so long, how lol.

They played very near me at The Eden Project but friends of mine said Pete wasn't very good so wasn't too bothered i couldn't make it.
Pleased you enjoyed the shows you caught though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-18 16:50 by keefriffhards.

Date: September 18, 2023 17:19

keefriffhards
Just listening to some of the orchestra tour again, it's inspiring, spinetingly good, Roger is singing better than for so long, how lol.

They played very near me at The Eden Project but friends of mine said Pete wasn't very good so wasn't too bothered i couldn't make it.
Pleased you enjoyed the shows you caught though.

The Eden Project is the very show the poster, chriseganstar, who had seen The Who with Moony in the 70s caught!

And he gave an unsparing praise as you see…

chriseganstar
The Mighty Who were indeed mighty bloody good tonight at Eden. Rogers voice is unbelievably good, fantastic set as described previously for other gigs. Acoustics at the Eden Project are the best you can get, natural bowl. Smallest venue on the tour...6,000 max in glorious summer weather. A true privilege to have witnessed 2¼ hours of the most stunning music that's been the backdrop to all of us of a certain age !

Date: September 18, 2023 22:36

RisingStone, you can't please all the people all the time, Pete is 78 years old after all, perhaps some of us expect a little too much, I'd definitely have seen them at the Eden Project but couldn't make it unfortunately.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106Next
Current Page: 104 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home