Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106Next
Current Page: 101 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: snorton ()
Date: April 11, 2023 02:41

The Who just can't pack an outdoor arena like the Stones, indoor of about 30k is their typical venue?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 11, 2023 03:58

snorton
The Who just can't pack an outdoor arena like the Stones, indoor of about 30k is their typical venue?

They did a few stadium shows in 2019 but the last tour none of the shows were full it seems and a lot of shows were heavily discounted, I got a lower level (back) for MSG out of the box office for $67.50 in May and that show was maybe 90% full when they used to do multiple nights.

Roger and Pete are outliving their fans.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: April 11, 2023 07:10

I hope they tour Quad and I hope that tour does make it to North America, despite Roger's doubt.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 11, 2023 07:47

Dan
snorton

They did a few stadium shows in 2019 but the last tour none of the shows were full it seems and a lot of shows were heavily discounted, I got a lower level (back) for MSG out of the box office for $67.50 in May and that show was maybe 90% full when they used to do multiple nights.

They're living the result of not actually ending it in 1989 or whenever it was.

They're not The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 11, 2023 14:52

snorton

I'm not aware of any indoor 30,000 seat venues. In the US, we have indoor hockey and basketball arenas that seat 15,000 to 20,000 (that's what The Who have been playing for the past 30 years), and we have domed football and baseball stadiums that can seat anywhere from 50,000 to 80,000, which The Who haven't been able to play since their first reunion tour in 1989.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2023 16:46

Despite being in a different form, they're one of the only bands that played Woodstock that are still touring under that name. Only other one I can think of is Santana...

Date: April 11, 2023 22:22

RollingFreak
Despite being in a different form, they're one of the only bands that played Woodstock that are still touring under that name. Only other one I can think of is Santana...

Ten Years After still tours with two of the guys who were with them at Woodstock.
Canned Heat still exists and still has their original drummer.
Blood, Sweat and Tears is also still around, albeit without any of the members who were at Woodstock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-11 22:23 by tatters.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 11, 2023 23:01

They got a shit manager telling them to play European arenas during july 2007.
Only Stones can get away with that during the Summer holidays. The Who should do like Dylan, perform autumn/spring

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: April 12, 2023 14:35

MadMax
Only Stones can get away with that during the Summer holidays. The Who should do like Dylan, perform autumn/spring

Bill Curbishly a shit manager? Really? Why is he so bad. I was on the summer '07 Who tour. The tickets sales were quite strong, especially given that they hadn't toured some parts of Europe in nearly 20 years.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 12, 2023 15:01

MadMax

Well, Dylan's going to tour Europe this summer..

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 12, 2023 15:13

In regard to 2007 summer tour, The Who played in Helsinki (arena gig) within a month as the Stones did (stadium gig). I recall there were reviews of both shows in the same edition of SOUNDI, a Finnish rock magazine. What I found funny was that the pretty low profile Who gig was praised for them playing so many old classic songs to please their audiences, while the much more hyped Stones show was critizised for the exact same reason...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-12 15:18 by Doxa.

Date: April 12, 2023 15:24

RollingFreak

Is the band Santana still touring? If so, that's cool.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 12, 2023 16:42

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

He is indeed:

[www.setlist.fm]

And I guess when I meant different form I meant still the main guy or guys part of it like Santana and The Who. Ten Years After, Canned Heat and Blood Sweat And Tears are the equivalent of Creedence Clearwater Revisited without Fogerty touring.

Date: April 12, 2023 17:29

RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

He is indeed:

[www.setlist.fm]

And I guess when I meant different form I meant still the main guy or guys part of it like Santana and The Who. Ten Years After, Canned Heat and Blood Sweat And Tears are the equivalent of Creedence Clearwater Revisited without Fogerty touring.

Thanks, but I was wondering if it was Carlos or him AND the band touring. I know they did a comeback tour a few years back - at least some of them did.

Loved the lineup with Carlos, Neal Schon, Gregg Rolie and Michael Shrieve thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 12, 2023 17:30

GasLightStreet
Dan
snorton

"hope I die before I get old" is probably a tough line to spit out now.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 12, 2023 20:50

mr_c_ox
MadMax

Bill Curbishly a shit manager? Really? Why is he so bad. I was on the summer '07 Who tour. The tickets sales were quite strong, especially given that they hadn't toured some parts of Europe in nearly 20 years.

Judas Priest's Nostradamus was his idea.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: April 12, 2023 21:31

Doxa
In regard to 2007 summer tour, The Who played in Helsinki (arena gig) within a month as the Stones did (stadium gig). I recall there were reviews of both shows in the same edition of SOUNDI, a Finnish rock magazine. What I found funny was that the pretty low profile Who gig was praised for them playing so many old classic songs to please their audiences, while the much more hyped Stones show was critizised for the exact same reason...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Those 2007 Who shows were the last gasp of the rejuvenated Who which stretched back to 2000… come 2012 and Roger would take over and turn it into something else entirely… the Endless Wire shows were really special.

Date: April 13, 2023 05:06

RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak

He is indeed:

[www.setlist.fm]

What about Dead and Company? Three members of the Grateful Dead's Woodstock lineup are still together on the road, including the Dead's second-in-command, Bob Weir.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 14, 2023 07:50

I was reading Keith Moon's Wikipedia entry a couple of nights ago. An interesting read. I didn't know that he died in the same apartment that Mama Cass Elliott had died in just a little under 4 years earlier (also at the same age of 32).

Reading the facts of his fatal overdose on the prescription medication he had been given to deal with the affects of alcohol withdrawal, it's hard to not think that he intentionally committed suicide. He'd been told by the physician who prescribed the medication to not take more than three of the pills in a 24 hour period. He had 38 pills in his system when he died. Six of them were digested, and caused his fatal overdose. The other 32 were still undigested. Seems like he would have known the outcome of taking that much. I've yet to read any of the biographies about him. Has this ever been addressed?

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2023 06:57

From udiscovermusic:

Roger Daltrey On ‘Wonderful Day’ Of ‘The Who With Orchestra: Live At Wembley
The frontman tells us about a concert in July 2019 that was so memorable, it demanded to be preserved on album.
By Phil Sexton

THE WHO

The fact that The Who’s epic July 2019 gig at Wembley Stadium took place in a time before lockdown gives it an almost other-worldly place in the collective memory. But the way the stars aligned to make it one of the great highlights in the recent history of this storied band simply demanded that it be preserved on album. So says Roger Daltrey himself. “When I listened to the live recordings of it, I thought this would just be great to get it down on record,” he says of the newly-released, multi-format The Who With Orchestra: Live At Wembley. “It was an historical event for us, 40 years being away from Wembley, the old one, and playing it again at this stage of our career, to a full audience.

“I’m very proud of the record, especially if you can hear it on vinyl,” he continues of the one UK show on the band’s Moving On tour that year. “It was a wonderful day. I don’t usually like stadium venues but the sound on the stage that day was fabulous for us. The rain shower at the end in ‘Love Reign O’er Me’…we only have the best effects! It was astonishing, wasn’t it?”

The concert, and now the album, underlined how The Who’s already mighty sound can be amplified both sonically and creatively by an orchestra. Indeed, its arrival at the top of Billboard’s classical chart has given the band their first US No.1 in its entire 59-year American chart history. The orchestral connection will continue with their first European shows, outside of the UK, for seven years in June, in Barcelona, Florence, Berlin, and Paris. Then The Who Hits Back! lands in their home country for a ten-date itinerary, accompanied all the way by full orchestras every night.“You really do start to understand the difference between the real power of instruments in an orchestra, and the sound of synthesized music,” says Daltrey. “It’s chalk and cheese, it’s night and day. The way it affects the human body.” He adds with a laugh: “Digital is dead, that’s all I can say.”

Daltrey has long known that Pete Townshend’s music lends itself to such arrangements as happens in few other rock bands. “Pete writes in a classical form, he always did,” he says. “When you listen to the voicings of the chords that he plays, they’re not your normal major chords. They’re always diminished, they’re never what you quite think they are. He creates this kind of drone effect. I’ve always felt that an orchestra and his music would work because of the complexity of his music and the fact that he writes from an inner perspective. Very unusual songs compared with most rock music. “I was doing this way back in 1994,” he adds. “For my 50th birthday I did Daltrey Sings Townshend. I didn’t quite have the arrangements right then, but it was an experiment to see where this could go. One of the problems I realised I would have for a band like The Who was that most Who fans want it to be loud and raucous, they want that Live At Leeds, raunchy, and all that stuff. “It was trying to convince them to keep all that, keep all the volume and all the punch and everything else, but still have the quality of the music behind it coming from an orchestra, and it will make it even bigger. Most of the orchestrated rock bands that you go out and see, the stuff that the orchestra’s playing, most of it can be played on a bloody synthesizer.”

Imagine A Man

As the album shows, when Daltrey stepped out at Wembley to lend his vocals to Townshend’s creations, underpinned by both band and orchestra, the results were majestic. On “Imagine A Man,” for example – a deep cut taken from The Who By Numbers – there is no hiding place for him as a vocalist, nor does he need one. “It’s kind of wonderful,” he notes. “I’ve always loved that song. Something about what it evokes in one’s mind when you sing that song, it’s just lovely. It’s always a joy to sing, that’s for sure.” The show also featured the live debut of two songs that were soon to arrive on record, on the WHO album, “Hero Ground Zero” and “Ball And Chain.” Both are on the Wembley memento. “It was exciting,” says Daltrey. “We hadn’t played those two songs before and we ran them down at the soundcheck and went for it. And it worked, it was good.”

The post-lockdown world has seen a resumption of workload for both Daltrey and Townshend that would shame those half their age. The frontman slotted in a twice-delayed solo tour of the UK last year, while Townshend recently released his first solo single for 29 years, “Can’t Outrun The Truth.” Then came this year’s edition of the Teenage Cancer Trust fundraisers at the Royal Albert Hall, the series of all-star shows for the charity that owes so much to Daltrey’s, and The Who’s, patronage. “That’s our 21st year of doing shows now,” says Roger. “23 years because of Covid, but it’s been an incredible journey. We started off with the ambition of maybe getting 25 hospital wards around the country – which we had to build, incidentally, we had to pay for the structure, and they’re quite expensive. We‘re at 29, and there’s another one coming online. It’s a pretty remarkable achievement and I’m very proud of what the charity does. “My team had to sign a 22-year agreement with the Albert Hall to keep this week of shows available to us to do, all those years ago. So it was an incredible gamble, because our charity laws are quite complicated. We cannot be promoters. We can put events on like that but we have to state what we’re going to make in the week. And of course when you’re asking people to come and play for free, you don’t know how many bums are going to be on seats, because in today’s world, money’s tight.

“So I can’t tell them what we’re going to make, and the whole thing’s been, to say the least, a little nerve-wracking. But it’s worked. We’ve got one more year to go, and let’s see where we are after that. But the music business and the comedy guys, they’ve been so generous with their time. It never ceases to amaze me, and I owe it all to them. The charity’s important to me, because it’s the area of our lives where they’re our formative years and the more we can get people coming out of those years with a balanced head on their shoulders, the better.”

The road calls again this summer, and if Daltrey is under no illusions that The Who’s final chapter may not be far off, it isn’t yet. “We’re coming to winding the whole thing up, I’m sure, but who knows? All the time I can do these notes and sing these songs with the energy they demand, and Pete can play the way he does, and he’s still one of the most original guitar players out there, we’ll carry on doing it. Whether everyone wants to carry on hearing it, I don’t know. “It’s an acquired taste, it’s not the most popular music out there,” he reflects. “You wouldn’t put Who music on at a party, it’s not that kind of music. It’s more music to fight to, in a barroom brawl! It’s a weird kind of bunch, The Who audience, but they’re wonderful people.”

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 5, 2023 15:32

Great read, Hairball. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 7, 2023 07:26

I gave the new Wembley live album a listen yesterday and I must say, I found it to be quite good. Will have to pick it up if the price ever comes down. The 2CD/Blu-ray is nearly as much as the vinyl currently!!!

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 19, 2023 16:21

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 19, 2023 20:40

Happy Birthday Pete Townshend!

Long live Pete...thumbs up

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 3, 2023 13:59

Berlin June ,20th @ Waldbuhne looking forward!!!!!!

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 14, 2023 14:46

The Who Hits Back Tour Starts Tonight in Barcelona,Spain!!!!!! Looking forward to The Berlin Concert Next week!!!! Weather is looking promising!!!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 14, 2023 16:53

mikey C
Berlin June ,20th @ Waldbuhne looking forward!!!!!!

Yup, me too .... can't wait !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: June 14, 2023 22:46

I'm also in cool smiley

Support in Berlin : The Wake Woods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-15 09:40 by Nankstone.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: June 16, 2023 18:04

I'm going to see the WHO, next Friday June 23rd 2023, at La Defence Arena in Paris.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 17, 2023 21:21

GasLightStreet
Dan
snorton

Even in 1989 they had trouble selling out sine shows.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106Next
Current Page: 101 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home