Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC future in question
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 26, 2014 19:44

"Got Some Rock n' Roll Thunder" & "Hard Times", that's all I need!!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 26, 2014 19:46

Maindefender
"Got Some Rock n' Roll Thunder"

worst song on the album alongside Dogs Of War for me

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 26, 2014 20:38

andy js
Maindefender

Knowing you are not a fan of Money Talks or Anything Goes, that totally makes sense.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 26, 2014 21:19

BluzDude

Knowing you are not a fan of Money Talks or Anything Goes, that totally makes sense.

That's low! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 26, 2014 22:45

After first listening this ROCK OR BUST album is a Touch Too Much for them and/or the fans.
I like Baptism By Fire the best and Let's Play Ball is okay but not a great single like Thunderstruck or even Stiff Upperlip (which I found great, it gave me an AC/DC revival which highlighted in Oberhausen 2003. AC/DC opening for The Stones and Angus and Malcolm guesting on Rock Me Baby. Great Memories!)
Every song on PowerAge is better than Let's Play Ball and Flick Of The Switch also.
Phil Rudd is sounding solid like always, but he can't make these songs outstanding because the songs are not great by potention.
I like "Zwarte Piet" in the Rock or Burst video at 1;52.thumbs up Must be the influence of Angus living in Aalten, The Netherlands, married to a dutch woman since 1980. It's a nice touch.
All in all I won't rush to buy Rock or Bust like I did even with Black Ice. Wait a year or two maybe to complete my AC/DC collection (which I don't play anywaydrinking smiley anymore).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-26 22:48 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 27, 2014 00:03

THE AGE -- 27 November 2014

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2014 00:09

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 27, 2014 00:47

Phil definitely appears to be "tweaking" on meth in that footage. Very sad and I'd say he's probably done with AC/DC.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 27, 2014 02:49

andy js
Maindefender

Lol I like Dogs Of War also. To each is own I say.....

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 04:09

Phil is just an utterly foolish, pathetic individual now.

Very sad...hope he gets help before it's too late.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:55

SonicDreamer
Father Ted
I've heard Play Ball and Rock or Bust which are both solid, no nonsense tracks. I mean, they're a one trick pony but what a pony it is!! I still feel like a noob as I only heard This House is on Fire for the first time on Sunday. Now That's What I Call AC/DC.

Kinda funny how history gives perspective. At the time of its release Flick of the Switch was much maligned and considered to be sub-par....

Cheers,
SonicD

There's not much to dislike about Flick. It certainly stands head and shoulders above some of the later 80s albums.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 12:22

I have to say, am damn impressed with the new AC/DC opus, "Rock or Bust"

How did I miss the frenzy online over last few days' articles everywhere, reviews, videos of the launch party which looked great; the premiere of the new video 2 nights ago..

The lyrics are super dumb, even by the Young brother' standards - 'DC lyrics were smart, witty and cutting with Bon Scott, but from the 80s, the double entendre became the single entendre, too many songs like 'Sink the Pink'. Lyrics mostly about how much they rock, how much they want to rock or keep rocking, the power of rock, and women!

But, lyrics aside, the music is some of the catchiest in ages; I was reminded very much of 'Fly on the Wall' and 'Razors Edge' - very catchy guitar riffs, and the guitar riffs on this album are very catchy on almost every track.

Brian Johnson is singing better than he has arguably in 30 years. He's getting a lot of praise.

'Got Some rock'n'roll Thunder', 'Miss Adventure' and the excellent 'Baptism of Fire' - even those three, listen to the wonderfully catchy riffs, the pounding, grooving tempo, the great chorus' (in the case of 'Miss Adventure' one of the most musical and catchy chorus' they've ever done).

Not every track is gold, but majority are, and at 35 minutes, it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Better than 'Black Ice', and catchy in the 'Fly on the Wall', 'Blow Up your Video', 'Razors Edge' sense.

It's going to be huge!!

Date: November 27, 2014 14:36

Lyrics mostly about how much they rock, how much they want to rock or keep rocking, the power of rock, and women!

I don't see a problem here? winking smiley

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 14:51

Father Ted
Lyrics mostly about how much they rock, how much they want to rock or keep rocking, the power of rock, and women!

haha! Come to think of it, why not! Why not indeed!

I do think 'DC had much better lyrics with Bon Scott; had 'Powerage' on the other night and some of the words, for excample, 'Gone Shootin', were very good.

Date: November 27, 2014 15:00

IrelandCalling4
Father Ted

haha! Come to think of it, why not! Why not indeed!

I do think 'DC had much better lyrics with Bon Scott; had 'Powerage' on the other night and some of the words, for excample, 'Gone Shootin', were very good.
I daresay that Bon Scott was a BRILLIANT lyricist...extremely witty and clever in a blue-collar, no-nonsense sort of way.

Brian Johnson's lyrics were decent for a while too, but then the Young brothers took over and it all went downhill.

Again, while of course I don't listen to AC/DC for the lyrics, SOME wittiness and clever wordplay would be nice. Angus and Mal are geniuses at riffs...lyrics, not so much.

Date: November 27, 2014 20:11

Meth is a terrible drug.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 20:54

Never saw this. Very cool! Would be great to see ACDC do an album of blues and early rock covers.

Date: November 27, 2014 21:32

Damn this is good :

- Wright appears to be a competent blues drummer
- the band should have included this vid in one of their DVD retrospective!

Date: November 27, 2014 21:51

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: November 27, 2014 22:03

Interview with Angus and Brian, questions in Spanish, answers in English
[www.abc.es]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 28, 2014 00:01

Is it any wonder that Brian Johnson's favorite Bon Scott album is Powerage?

Date: November 28, 2014 03:57

BluzDude
Of course not. It's a remarkable album.

It's also Keith's favorite AC/DC album, and one of his favorite rock'n'roll albums period.

Date: November 28, 2014 06:06

BluzDude

i still think its the weakest bon era album but thats also like saying yu have to pick a stones album from 1968-1972 to be the weakest

Date: November 28, 2014 10:36

For your Friday listening and viewing pleasure:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-28 10:39 by Father Ted.

Posted by: jjf1965 ()
Date: November 28, 2014 14:35

Father Ted

That´s what R&R is all about - more or less >grinning smiley<

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 28, 2014 15:29

Gave the latest album a few good listens and...it's really hard to muster much enthusiasm for it. A bit like if ABB was 10x "Driving Too Fast"...there are a couple of good moments, like the last 15 seconds of "Play Ball" and another one or two that I can't place exactly for now. I fear they might be about to enter another "Flick of the Switch" phase in the eye of the public. It's still a bit of a marketing miracle that they managed to get out of that rut BTW...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 28, 2014 18:11

[www.nydailynews.com]

There’s no more reliable brand in rock than AC/DC. Over the last four decades, the metal-studded Huns have stuck to their signature sound as rigidly as the Coca-Cola company has to its soft drink.

In the last year, however, two events have occurred that threatened to short-circuit the band’s current. Rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young left, due to his increasing struggles with dementia. Then, last month, drummer Phil Rudd was arrested for possession of meth and pot, as well as for threatening to kill two people. The band says Rudd hasn’t been in touch with them of late, further threatening his musical future.

This one-two punch represents the strongest shock to AC/DC’s system since the sudden death of lead screamer Bon Scott 34 years ago.

Even so, they’re soldiering on.

The new “Rock or Bust” features songwriting credits from Malcolm on every track. And though he didn’t play on the album, he’s been replaced with someone who has Malcolm’s ethic in his blood: nephew Steven Young.

Small wonder every track on the disc seems to ask fans the rhetorical question: “Are you ready to rawk?”

Eskimos have a hundred words for snow. AC/DC has as many ways to rock!
They ought to be, considering how long it’s been since a venerable, unflinchingly hard, guitar band put out good new music.

The Stones haven’t done it. Nor the Who. And not even Aerosmith.

With “Rock or Bust,” AC/DC has.

Of course, new music from AC/DC sounds remarkably like old music from AC/DC. As always, the members attack their instruments with the repetition, and savagery, of a serial killer.

All the problems facing the band haven’t inspired a second of introspection — or, worse, a ballad. This first new album in six years approaches AC/DC’s essential sound with all the variation of an O.C.D. victim.

AC/DC’s new album is great.
Even so, the new songs again prove what a broad array of variations can be found within the narrowest m.o. In the same way Eskimos have a hundred words for snow, AC/DC has countless ways to stagger its riffs and stutter its beats.

In “Miss Adventure,” the band pulls a twist on the snaking guitar of “Train Kept a Rollin,” enlivening a blues-rock classic. For “Play Ball,” they find a tune catchy enough to be an anthem for any sports team, while “Rock the Blues Away” houses the band’s catchiest pop melody since “You Shook Me All Night Long.”

More often, however, AC/DC soars on pure rhythm. At root, the band takes rhythms as funky as those of James Brown and translates them into the language of rock. It helps that singer Brian Johnson currently channels something akin to soul. He’s less the electrocuted rooster of old than a reborn Steve Marriott.

One quibble: At under 35 minutes, “Rock or Bust” is the shortest AD/DC album ever. Rest assured, however, this short album is no less sweet.

jfarber@nydailynews.com

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 28, 2014 19:35

The new 'Rock Or Bust' - Album is by the way also available in 96kHz/24bit Studio Masters Quality on Qobuz.com.

(Qobuz is available in France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, BeNeLux, UK, Ireland)

Date: November 29, 2014 13:11

Great interview in the Guardian :

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 29, 2014 21:05

Any Krokus fans? smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home