Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT:Cities in the USA related to great guitar players?
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 17, 2014 06:16

Nashville's the place. I wanted to give up playing after I saw some of those guys. They were just rippin' it, at 1:00 in the afternoon in some rinky-dink bar on Broadway. Houston's got some fine players, too.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 17, 2014 06:20

franzk
Jack White - Detroit
Kurt Cobain - Aberdeen

15 minutes in aberdeen and you'll understand kurt cobain way better. the town is awful.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 17, 2014 06:37

latebloomer
DoomandGloom
Macon Georgia.. Home of The Allman Brothers, they have a museum, the whole town is Allman, you can visit the graves of Duane, Oakley and of course Elizabeth Reed..... [www.thebighousemuseum.com]

...and then, what?grinning smiley
Then I'd head to Athens Georgia, a college town birthplace of REM, B-52's and Pylon, grab some beers with Peter Buck, he loves to chat guitar playing as long as you're buying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-17 06:38 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 17, 2014 12:18

You might have a hard time finding Peter Buck in Athens, GA, even though he and REM from there originally. He has lived across the country in Seattle for awhile. He and his family were in front of me at the airport there doing curbside check-in last year. I was aghast that he was checking his guitars.

As for cities associated with guitarists:

New York - Leslie West, Johnny Thunders, Johnny Ramone, Tom Verlaine, and Richard Lloyd
Chicago - Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters
Detroit - Ron Asheton, James Williamson, Wayne Kramer, and Fred Sonic Smith
San Francisco - Jerry Garcia and East Bay Ray
Los Angeles - Billy Zoom and Greg Ginn
New Orleans - Anders Osbourne and Tab Benoit
Washington, DC - Jorma Kaukonen and Nils Lofgren
Baltimore - David Byrne and Ric Ocasek, though they made their marks elsewhere

In New Orleans, it seems like everyone has chops and plays in at least two bands.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-18 11:37 by ab.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 17, 2014 16:00

Thank you for mentioning Tab Benoit ab.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 17, 2014 16:20

DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom
Macon Georgia.. Home of The Allman Brothers, they have a museum, the whole town is Allman, you can visit the graves of Duane, Oakley and of course Elizabeth Reed..... [www.thebighousemuseum.com]

Then I'd head to Athens Georgia, a college town birthplace of REM, B-52's and Pylon, grab some beers with Peter Buck, he loves to chat guitar playing as long as you're buying.

Be sure you say hello to Ort while you're there. Ort still does a radio show on WUOG, "Orts Oldies", and he knows more about rock and roll than most anyone on the planet. Also check out The Georgia Theatre and The 40 watt club, both are great places to hear good music in Athens. Pylon's drummer Curtis Crowe still lives in Athens, he started the 40 watt club, not sure what he's doing now. That's where I went to college, D&G, and I was there when REM and the B52's were still playing local clubs and house parties. Love the place.

Date: April 17, 2014 17:01

latebloomer
DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom

Be sure you say hello to Ort while you're there. Ort still does a radio show on WUOG, "Orts Oldies", and he knows more about rock and roll than most anyone on the planet. Also check out The Georgia Theatre and The 40 watt club, both are great places to hear good music in Athens. Pylon's drummer Curtis Crowe still lives in Athens, he started the 40 watt club, not sure what he's doing now. That's where I went to college, D&G, and I was there when REM and the B52's were still playing local clubs and house parties. Love the place.
I have never actually been to Athens but many years ago I had I dream I was there and Peter Buck taught me to write songs in a bar on a hill. I started wring songs at that time and still do, years later when I met Buck I described the location and he said it was his regular haunt. I wonder when REM will return to fashion, they are one of my favorites..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-17 17:07 by DoomandGloom.

Date: April 17, 2014 17:17

DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom

I have never actually been to Athens but many years ago I had I dream I was there and Peter Buck taught me to write songs in a bar on a hill. I started wring songs at that time and still do, years later when I met Buck I described the location and he said it was his regular haunt. I wonder when REM will return to fashion, they are one of my favorites..

Peter was intimidating back then. I mostly remember him behind the counter at the record store where he worked and, for a while, he dated one of my best friends. She barely survived him and his party scene. I thnk he's settled down some since then. I would love to see REM reunite for a tour, but they all appear to be enjoying doing their own thing now.

Date: April 17, 2014 17:24

latebloomer
DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom

Peter was intimidating back then. I mostly remember him behind the counter at the record store where he worked and, for a while, he dated one of my best friends. She barely survived him and his party scene. I thnk he's settled down some since then. I would love to see REM reunite for a tour, but they all appear to be enjoying doing their own thing now.
He's tall and tall rock stars can be intimidating. Yes they were the heaviest of party people, when they'd come to NY, Patti Smith, The B-52's and the rest of us would have to prepare ourselves for non-stop lunacy. Bill Berry paid the price which is a shame, he is the key ingredient to their success, one of the greatest drummers I've ever seen.

Date: April 17, 2014 17:45

DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom

He's tall and tall rock stars can be intimidating. Yes they were the heaviest of party people, when they'd come to NY, Patti Smith, The B-52's and the rest of us would have to prepare ourselves for non-stop lunacy. Bill Berry paid the price which is a shame, he is the key ingredient to their success, one of the greatest drummers I've ever seen.

Then you will enjoy this photo, Doom and Gloom. This was the WUOGGERZ, mostly UGA students from the college radio station WUOG. If you look close you'll see Bill Berry on the drums. I believe this was his first gig.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 17, 2014 18:27

"They're really rockin' in Boston...."

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:14

latebloomer
DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom
latebloomer
DoomandGloom

Then you will enjoy this photo, Doom and Gloom. This was the WUOGGERZ, mostly UGA students from the college radio station WUOG. If you look close you'll see Bill Berry on the drums. I believe this was his first gig.

Yes, Macon, Athens, Atlanta, Valdosta (Remerton and Lake Park), and Savannah all have vibrant music scenes. Georgia is a great place to be - musicwise and otherwise. Insert Masters/Bubba Watson comment here. Go Dawgs!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: April 18, 2014 12:14

Joe Perry-Boston,MA
Mark Farner-Flint,MI

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 18, 2014 16:28

Memphis - Steve Cropper
Boston - Tom Scholz
Chicago - Terry Kath

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 18, 2014 21:09

Frank Zappa - Baltimore

Posted by: thosewildhorses ()
Date: May 10, 2014 09:57

New York City, Simon & Garfunkel
LA, Lindsay Buckingham
Philly, Hall & Oates

'But the heart of rock n roll, heart of rock n roll's in Cleveland....in Cleveland!' (Hughey Lewis & the News) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 10, 2014 22:22

Memphis, birthplace of the Blues, and me

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 11, 2014 07:20

Wes Montgomery - Indianapolis, Indiana. Good luck finding any one there that could teach you how to play like Wes.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 11, 2014 19:20

What about cities in Burkina Faso?

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 23, 2014 05:52

Wow got lost on that link for a while. Thanks for posting. It's always nice to learn about other bands and their history instead of focusing only on the Stones you know?

Posted by: Athena ()
Date: May 23, 2014 07:07

rob51
Wow got lost on that link for a while. Thanks for posting. It's always nice to learn about other bands and their history instead of focusing only on the Stones you know?

variety! thumbs up

Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Skill...& War

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2091
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home