Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith Richards - Let Me Go (Leeds 1982)
Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: April 7, 2014 14:56

Those of you who have not listened this, please listen to it now. From 39:30 to 44:00.

That solo ... you gotta love Keith, I prefer this to 1,000 overplayed solos of the greatest guitar players of all times ...

The Chuck Berry thing again and again ... but I like it. Sometimes the simple things are the best:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-07 14:59 by Berry88.

Re: Keith Richards - Let Me Go (Leeds 1982)
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 7, 2014 15:12

They certainly are thumbs up

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 7, 2014 15:28

One of the best KR's solos ever

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 7, 2014 16:04

You're right. Leeds in general proves two damn good guitarists on their peak. 75% of that today and I would be lucky ...

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 7, 2014 21:05

WOW

Date: April 7, 2014 21:15

I reckon this album is still for sale in the Stonesarchive and on Google Music. Let's hope they release this show on DVD as well!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 8, 2014 00:30

Funny how songs like UMT and Whip sounded much better on the '81 tour leg, at the same time we got a blistering Neighbours (where Keith simplified the riff, for better or worse, the song just grew) and a great Let Me Go in Europe '82.

Bring Leeds '82 out on DVD!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 8, 2014 00:36

I second that motion...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 8, 2014 01:27

The Leeds show has a historical value too. It was the last show of the Still Life tour and, as some purists may think, the last "real" Rolling Stones gig. And it was Ian Stewart's last concert with the band.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 8, 2014 01:54

LOVE it. Lightning fast. One of the highlights of Leeds for sure!

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: April 8, 2014 02:25

That was great, I still think the 81 tour was the best!

Man, do I miss Bill Wyman...His bass on that song was brilliant.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 8, 2014 02:45

One of my favorite Keith solos for sure. Been trying to nail it on guitar note-for-note for a while. In terms of solos, Keith always prefers quality over speed, but here he combined the two, and the outcome was absolutely sick. Most of you won't know what I'm talking about, but the lick Keith does from 42:04-42:06, and then again from 42:54-42:56 was performed in some variation on many songs during the '81-'82 tour and is one of my favorite original Keith licks. Any guitarists know what I'm talking about?

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: April 8, 2014 03:10

I always liked the studio version of this one too...

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: April 8, 2014 03:15

man, what a treat. listened to the whole thing

They rocked so hard..almost unreal.

i think it has a lot to do with the full amp racks still being on the stage. You can feel the power, and so did they!!

It all changed with those hangover soundthing/boxes beginning with steel wheels

the directness was forever lost.

this is a historic gig for more then one reason..'effin awesome. Ronnie could still solo, keith absolute boss on the rythm and lead, mick bit tired but great, bill and charlie awesome. Best r'r ever!!

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: April 8, 2014 03:20

sure...the rundown lick,first up then down with the hamer on in the middle . HA!

pretty easy, very effective

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: April 8, 2014 03:34

The Speed was flying! great solo ? - I am not so sure. fastest or loudest perhaps. IMO Keith is at his best when picking notes and setting the Rythm and solo's in his own time. not when other influences are coming to the fore.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 8, 2014 07:27

FWIW, add myself to the list of people wanting a full DVD release of this show. It's excellent from beginning to end.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 8, 2014 07:38

It all seems too fast. They're in control but too lathered up. Prefer Hampton '81.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 8, 2014 08:10

DandelionPowderman
I reckon this album is still for sale in the Stonesarchive and on Google Music. Let's hope they release this show on DVD as well!

That's the show that contains the infamous She's So Cold gaffe where Charlie messes up the intro and plays the entire song in the wrong beat and Bill starts cracking up, isn't it?--all in a delightfully captivating pro shot as well. That's also the clip that keeps disappearing from YouTube. I'm not sure the band likes being seen in that light--note how they cleaned up Keith's intro for Start Me Up from Hyde Park. When they release live material, they like to cover their mistakes, rather than leave them glaringly obvious. If they ever do release it to DVD, I doubt it will be... complete. winking smiley

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: April 8, 2014 08:12

And that guitar solo keeps just going on and on. Almost two minutes. Great version.

Date: April 8, 2014 08:57

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

That's the show that contains the infamous She's So Cold gaffe where Charlie messes up the intro and plays the entire song in the wrong beat and Bill starts cracking up, isn't it?--all in a delightfully captivating pro shot as well. That's also the clip that keeps disappearing from YouTube. I'm not sure the band likes being seen in that light--note how they cleaned up Keith's intro for Start Me Up from Hyde Park. When they release live material, they like to cover their mistakes, rather than leave them glaringly obvious. If they ever do release it to DVD, I doubt it will be... complete. winking smiley

No, that's Wembley smiling smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 8, 2014 09:15

Ah, so it was. Which is why we'll never see that Wembley show as an official release. smiling smiley

Date: April 8, 2014 10:17

stonehearted
Ah, so it was. Which is why we'll never see that Wembley show as an official release. smiling smiley

It's one of the loveliest fvck ups I know. The desperation in Keith's face, and the couldn't care less-attitude of Charlie, mixed with Bill's laughing is hilarious thumbs up

Date: April 8, 2014 10:45

Stoneage
The Leeds show has a historical value too. It was the last show of the Still Life tour and, as some purists may think, the last "real" Rolling Stones gig. And it was Ian Stewart's last concert with the band.

In fact ... I think so, too

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 8, 2014 12:07

Glad I was there.

It was a warm and tiring day in Roundhay park...but well worth the sweat.

[Not quite such a long and taxing day as Knebworth in 76... but with a curiously similar vibe in some ways]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 12:13 by Spud.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 8, 2014 12:34

MisterO

Man, do I miss Bill Wyman...His bass on that song was brilliant.

+ 100 %

Date: April 8, 2014 13:26

I would be pleased to have some new bootleg series containing more from 81 (Dallas, Pontiac, Sun Devil) and 82 (Napoli, Wembley) and the complete LA concerts from 75 (the other four besides LA Friday). A band on its peak, real Blues and Rock'n Roll ... In the best case release all concerts that have been recorded and a new blues-rooted album, no awkward tour "The Rolling Stones - The Musical" - I would be happy ...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 8, 2014 16:33

Most of you won't know what I'm talking about, but the lick Keith does from 42:04-42:06, and then again from 42:54-42:56 was performed in some variation on many songs during the '81-'82 tour and is one of my favorite original Keith licks. Any guitarists know what I'm talking about?

Yeah that's the one Muddy asked about... "show me that lick again son...."

In 81-82 we got it in almost every song that Keith decorated (as he usually puts it), but I love it!

It's easy, just do the usual stuff on the g-string and then when you move up to the b-string just play one note "behind" or "off" the one you played on the g-string. Do it slow and you'll get it in 2 seconds.

Beautiful Keith lick but you can hear Hubert Sumlin play it in the 50's, as well as some other cats, but for me it is 100% KEEF!!!

Date: April 8, 2014 16:37

MadMax
Most of you won't know what I'm talking about, but the lick Keith does from 42:04-42:06, and then again from 42:54-42:56 was performed in some variation on many songs during the '81-'82 tour and is one of my favorite original Keith licks. Any guitarists know what I'm talking about?

Yeah that's the one Muddy asked about... "show me that lick again son...."

In 81-82 we got it in almost every song that Keith decorated (as he usually puts it), but I love it!

It's easy, just do the usual stuff on the g-string and then when you move up to the b-string just play one note "behind" or "off" the one you played on the g-string. Do it slow and you'll get it in 2 seconds.

Beautiful Keith lick but you can hear Hubert Sumlin play it in the 50's, as well as some other cats, but for me it is 100% KEEF!!!

Absolutely! I read an old interview (can't remember which one, though), where Keith said he nicked that lick off some old jazz/sax player. He closes Tie You Up with that lick as well (+ he plays it several times in Whip oon the same tour), if I'm not mistaken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 16:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 8, 2014 19:58

There are a number of speed ball rockers from this period. I find it curious that they are mostly ignored on stage. I do not mind. A little of this sound goes a long way with me. But does the band think this sound is dated? One would think most of the crowd would find these songs exciting live. I wonder the same thing about the SG album. Why has Miss You become a staple while very little else is played on a regular basis. Again, these are not complaints by me, I just wonder how the band views this period's songs many off which seem popular with the fans. Indeed, some fans consider SG a classic. It's absence from the live stage is noticeable. BTW: I like Keith's playing on this song. This type of song demands that the licks keep coming and he manages that nicely.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home