Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Shattered
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 7, 2014 20:24

More Hot Rocks
Worst song the Stones ever recorded. It's just awful.

Wow...give it another try for God's sake...you're missing something

Date: April 7, 2014 20:30

big4
I can't imagine what fans and general listeners thought when they first heard the SG album. Much of it must've sounded at times almost like a different band to many ears. I would imagine to the '60s Stones fans still around in '78 it reminded them somewhat of the mid-60s Stones. That sneering attitude, simple to the point songs. The tenderness found in the grooves of GHS-IORR-B&B was gone save for BoB and BTMMR, in the latter's case a tenderness built upon a sense of holding one's head up in the face of desperation. But the final track Shattered. I wonder if some people dropped the needle there first out of curiousity from the title or to hear how the Stones closed out their newest album.

The song's title, "Shattered" is intriguing probably some thought it would be funky sounding like Hot Stuff as well as "Fingerprint File" or maybe a short soul-inflected ballad snuck on at the end.

Instead the listener would've found the song wrapped up SG where it started on the streets of New York via a Paris recording studio. The song seems to comes from the point of view of a man walking the war zone of late '70s NYC giving a blow by blow account of experiences and encounters, a true exile on Main Street or maybe 42nd Street.

It's interesting that the band would pick up the narrative, if not, the sound on the opening track on ER. Mick in Shattered takes on the roll of Lou Reed but less fatalistic and sardonic, Mick's character sounds like he's actually on his way to Studio 54 or maybe Traamps, shaking his head in bemusement and astonishment of the sights and sounds he's encountering.

The poor soul of Miss You has decided to embrace his new found unattached status like a stranger in a strange land on Shattered and despite his personal condition and those surrounding him, just sort of going with it. Yeah, he's Shattered but he's beyond his pain or sadness now/ He's in the biggest city in the world the "American zone" as it implodes around him. But you know what-"Shi-doo-bee" he says because I mean what else can you say when you're "Shattered".

The music behind the lyrics is great with the phased guitar, Ronnie's b-string bends the weird reggae-new wave-country vibe of the sounds. Charlie and Bill provide just the right wobble.

Shattered is a stone-cold Stones classic.

Beautiful! thumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 7, 2014 21:32

Stoneage
Stones goes punk. Not a great song, really. But it works well. A gritty groove. Nice guitars. Hasn't worked well live though since 81/82.

To me this song, in contrast to "Lies" (which I by the way do like) is not the Rolling Stones, the rock stars of the '60s, going punk, but instead a suiting song and music representation of the individual Stone once again driven out on the streets as an ordinary human being among other people there. And those streets are not a safe place for anybody. His existence in life is as exposed as that of everybody else, who in some way or the other is in trouble. He is not only cleverly performing a rock song, but here actually may speak for everyone out there.

I have never tried to describe this song musically, not even to myself, it has been beyond my ability. But I have always found it as one of the three really great songs on SOME GIRLS, and I agree that this was the most important one for the kind of band that the Stones both were and should be.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 8, 2014 04:04

studio version of this song dosent do it justice.

the live version on still life is great though and the best version ever.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 8, 2014 07:44

It's simply proved to be un-reproduceable on stage, but the sonic brilliance of the studio version is something to behold. The Stones had a big canvas and they did 1978 New York City proud with this album and Shattered in particular. 'People dressed in plastic pants, directing traffic'. They sum up Manhattan and just being a Rolling Stone with the flatter, flatter, flatter at the end.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 8, 2014 08:55

Mick dating New York fashion models means he heard a lot of talk about the fashion business—the rag trade—"schmatta" being Yiddish for "rag" and slang for fashion and fashion items. New York's fashion business is based on 7th Avenue. (Yes, a Rolling Stones song actually has some Yiddish.)

Movie poster for a documentary about New York City's fashion industry.

Date: April 8, 2014 10:18

24FPS
It's simply proved to be un-reproduceable on stage, but the sonic brilliance of the studio version is something to behold. The Stones had a big canvas and they did 1978 New York City proud with this album and Shattered in particular. 'People dressed in plastic pants, directing traffic'. They sum up Manhattan and just being a Rolling Stone with the flatter, flatter, flatter at the end.

They do lovely live versions, but it's almost like it's a different song.

Live (at least before 1989), it becomes a rockabilly-ish track like Let Me Go.

On the album, they get this unique groove, yet to be surpassed, imo.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 8, 2014 10:34

Title5Take1
Mick dating New York fashion models means ...

But but but Keith wrote this one, including most of the lyrics.
He's dated his share of models too you know! :E

big4
I can't imagine what fans and general listeners thought when they first heard the SG album.

I remember the first time I heard it quite vividly and it still gives me goosebumps.
I was living in a farfetched place where the media were heavily censored and once a month
one late-night radio program would play an album in its entirety. So we were lying in bed in the dark
and this album came on like a great huge brilliantly-hued gloriously exotic strong wild & muscular bird
soaring and swooping around the room in stunning magnificence. Breathtaking!

No one had expected that! Especially given all that the band had been going through.
Just absolutely glorious. Pile it up - pile it high on the platter - speechless.

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: April 8, 2014 13:14

Awesome song.

Very original and clever. Sped up live it works ala 81/82 and slowed and heavier on the VL tour it was great but in a different way also.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 8, 2014 13:21

with sssoul
Title5Take1

No that's not correct -Keith had the sha-doo-bie line, all the rest is Jagger.

Anyway -brilliant track! The album version is quite experimental for the Stones, while the live version is a fabulous rocker in 81/82. Unfortunately, the way they play it since 1989 has nothing to do with the original intention. Now they play it too slow and without a groove.

Mathijs

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 8, 2014 15:29

with sssoul
I remember the first time I heard it quite vividly and it still gives me goosebumps.
I was living in a farfetched place where the media were heavily censored and once a month
one late-night radio program would play an album in its entirety. So we were lying in bed in the dark
and this album came on like a great huge brilliantly-hued gloriously exotic strong wild & muscular bird
soaring and swooping around the room in stunning magnificence. Breathtaking!

No one had expected that! Especially given all that the band had been going through.
Just absolutely glorious. Pile it up - pile it high on the platter - speechless.

Marvelous!!! This captures the power of music -- and the Rolling Stones -- better than anything I've read in a long, long time.

Drew

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 8, 2014 15:41

Apart from the studio version of "Shattered", of course, I fancy the version on the boot GARDEN STATE '78.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 15:41 by Witness.

Date: April 8, 2014 15:41

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 8, 2014 15:50

I love the reggae/ska elements mentioned. In fact the single line riffing sounds almost identical to the intro of the acoustic demo version of 'Dirty Work'.

This track like every other on 'Some Girls' sounds new & fresh from being played through w/ some effect.

This song is so different in the Stines catalog but these kind of isolated gems pop up from time to time and reek of completely originality that blows me away every time.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 16:50 by Marhsall.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 8, 2014 15:54

Mathijs
with sssoul
Title5Take1

Anyway -brilliant track! The album version is quite experimental for the Stones, while the live version is a fabulous rocker in 81/82. Unfortunately, the way they play it since 1989 has nothing to do with the original intention. Now they play it too slow and without a groove.

Mathijs

Is it true?? Keith only came up with the sha-doo-bie line? What about the chords, or the riffs? None of that?

What a bummer...not that I care too much, but over the years especially the music portion I'd associated with Keith. Oh well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 15:55 by nightskyman.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 8, 2014 16:49

See track talk
[www.timeisonourside.com]

Mick 1995 says shattered keiths song and he just did the lyrics
Always Interesting how BOTH mick and keith change their minds about who did what when you track quotes over the years .....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 8, 2014 17:30

Great on the album. Kind of a throwaway the way the way they do it live.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 8, 2014 17:34

Mathijs
with sssoul
Title5Take1

Mathijs

The Voodoo Lounge tour live performance was stellar, not rushed and sloppy. Ronnie actually played the solo, unlike anytime since.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 8, 2014 18:58

I enjoyed this track in the early eighties listening to bootlegs

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 8, 2014 19:21

The drums and bass are really locked in on this one.

Going back and forth with the E5 and B5, coated in a thick, swirling Phase 100. Then the A5 kickin' off the chorus is like a slap in the face. I love it and enjoy playing it.

So simple, yet so effective.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 8, 2014 19:37

shattered
Told they would never do this live again.

I remember being told that after 9/11, and also that theyd never play it in New York again for sure due to 'sensitive' lyrics like 'my brains been splattered all over Manhattan..'

Then I saw them play it at MSG a year later, and - far from being outraged - the place went nuts.

Fantastic song. Like 'Miss You', a track which recorded to near perfection in it's studio incarnation, but which they havent quite captured as well in a live setting (although its always been a much more welcome addition to the show than 'Miss You')

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 19:40 by Gazza.

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: April 8, 2014 21:40

Loving the chat, shidoobee, about my favorite song of all time, Shattered. The studio version is a fantastic mix of music and stories of life in Manhattan. In the 35+ years since its release, they have played this song live using numerous styles over the years, similar to the different live versions of Satisfaction. I can't help but laugh when watching the Saturday Night Live "punk" version of this song as Mick and Keith are so sassy with the audience in that unique presentation of this brilliant song. And the 1978 Dallas dvd version is also spectacular as Mick brings so much life to the song with his mannerisms and punctuation marks on the song. The Stones have created so many rock classics and, in my opinion, this is another masterpiece that illustrates how to have fun with a song and a story!

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 8, 2014 22:32

I like the instrumental versions

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 9, 2014 05:32

The studio version is killer. I don't like most of the live versions. Funny enough I like the version on Shine A Light.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 9, 2014 07:13

Love it on Handsome Girls...

Date: April 9, 2014 10:04

nightskyman
Mathijs
with sssoul
Title5Take1

Mathijs

Is it true?? Keith only came up with the sha-doo-bie line? What about the chords, or the riffs? None of that?

What a bummer...not that I care too much, but over the years especially the music portion I'd associated with Keith. Oh well.

All the chords and the guitar-themes were written by Keith. Mathijs means that Keith didn't have anything to do with the lyrics.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 9, 2014 10:22

DandelionPowderman
nightskyman
Mathijs
with sssoul
Title5Take1

Mathijs

All the chords and the guitar-themes were written by Keith. Mathijs means that Keith didn't have anything to do with the lyrics.
See [www.timeisonourside.com] for detail

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 9, 2014 10:24

thats one of the few "bigger" stones songs i never really liked (another one is beast of burdon). main problem is the tempo. it's just way to slow and well, besides the solo part when it breaks up, i find it rather boring. to mee a rather poor attempt of sounding contemporary and punky. the phaser-guitarsound was the wrong choice aswell.
the still life version is better, but since then the live versions didnt work at all IMO.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 9, 2014 10:31

EJM
See [www.timeisonourside.com] for detail

Yes, see there for a series of contradictory statements from Mick, from "I wrote lyrics"
(which means "some of them", as opposed to "I wrote the lyrics", which would mean all of them)
through "I wrote every word except "'shidoobee'". So we're each free to choose whichever version sounds plausible to us.

As usual, the Rolling Stones offer something for everybody. :E

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 9, 2014 11:25

And Im thinking Ronnie might have had something to do with the music since it's sort of similar to Hey Negrita.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1626
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home