Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: OT: Jeff Beck and ZZ Top on tour August.
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2014 05:06

I saw ZZ Top in 83 or 84 in Vancouver and I have to say that the show was a bit boring. Sound was ok but musically didn't really deviate from their albums much, and the stage show was pretty dull.

The "highpoint" of the show, was when Billy and Dusty's guitar's did 360 revolutions while they were playing. This was fresh off the Eliminator album.

That was the last ZZ Top album I ever purchased.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 6, 2014 14:01

A little taste of things to come!smoking smiley
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 7, 2014 01:02

keefriffhard4life
rob51
I realize Becks been around forever. What songs is he famous for though and what is it exactly that makes him as popular as he still seem's to be?

he is one of the few people who is popular simply for playing guitar. i don't think he really has a signature tune that keeps him popular

He's really the only surviving brit guitar gunslinger from the 60s with his talent intact. He is still world class. I was fascinated by his set last summer because he played some real heavy jazz driven songs from the 70s. It's kind of enjoyable to just hear a great musician than wonder when is he going to play that song everybody knows.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 7, 2014 01:47

Page can still sling a mighty guitar riff. And Mick Taylor as well. Clapton too.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 7, 2014 07:17

Going to see Jeff Beck tonight in Tokyo. 5th Row, slighly off to the left side so I can watch his fingers fly across the frets.

Date: April 7, 2014 08:24

whitem8
Page can still sling a mighty guitar riff. And Mick Taylor as well. Clapton too.

because these guys aren't still out there trying to push themselves. page rarely plays, clapton gets called lazy a lot now and taylor simply isn't in well enough shape to do long tours where he plays for 2 hours

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 7, 2014 08:54

<<page rarely plays>>

Publicly he rarely plays. Privately he may well play every day for all we know. He was fairly spectacular in the 2007 reunion show.

Clapton had a new album out just a few months ago.

Taylor was playing full shows on his own before the Stones tour, and he's dropped a lot of weight in the last year or so.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: April 7, 2014 09:24

keefriffhard4life
clapton gets called lazy

By whom? I saw him the last year, it was an amazing show. It was the first time I saw him and I went mostly out of curiosity, since while I always appreciated his guitar playing, I found his stuff sort of boring. But I was absolutely impressed by the show. I will see him again this June a I can't wait really. The ticket for his show in Vienna arrived in one package together with the Stones' ticket, by the way :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-07 11:45 by Happy24.

Date: April 7, 2014 10:06

Lots of people say clapton is lazy and only pushed himself when he is paired with another great guitar player

Date: April 7, 2014 10:16

Come On
Is it like Bob Dylan & The Band (Jeff Beck & ZZ Top), they're just playing his songs because he is the star here...maybe 4 or 5 ZZ Top songs when Jeff is off stage having a beer and changing shirt...

Beck is opening for ZZ Top smiling smiley

Date: April 7, 2014 10:21

Happy24
keefriffhard4life
clapton gets called lazy

By whom? I saw him the last year, it was an amazing show. It was the first time I saw him and I went mostly out of curiosity, since while I always appreciated his guitar playing, I found his stuff sort of boring. But I was absolutely impressed by the show. I will see him again this June a I can't wait really. The ticket for his show in Vienna arrived in one package together with the Stones's ticket, by the way :-)

By Keith... of all people smiling smiley

But that was years ago, though.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 7, 2014 10:33

drbryant
Going to see Jeff Beck tonight in Tokyo. 5th Row, slighly off to the left side so I can watch his fingers fly across the frets.

That should be great ! Wonder what he'll be playing, maybe some new material from the album he mentioned to Rolling Stone in February. The tour started in Osaka on Friday but I haven't found any setlists so far. Think I'll try to catch in Paris...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 7, 2014 10:41

DandelionPowderman
Happy24
keefriffhard4life
clapton gets called lazy

By whom? I saw him the last year, it was an amazing show. It was the first time I saw him and I went mostly out of curiosity, since while I always appreciated his guitar playing, I found his stuff sort of boring. But I was absolutely impressed by the show. I will see him again this June a I can't wait really. The ticket for his show in Vienna arrived in one package together with the Stones's ticket, by the way :-)

By Keith... of all people smiling smiley

But that was years ago, though.

In a 2003 BBC news story regarding Clapton once wanting to join the Stones after Mick Taylor's departure.

Eric Clapton was once desperate to join the Rolling Stones, band member Keith Richards has said.

But the guitarist and singer would never have been accepted by the Stones because he is "too lazy", Richards said.

He said Clapton had recently revealed how much he wanted to join when the group lost guitarist Mick Taylor in 1974.

Richards told
Mojo magazine Clapton had expected the group to call him.

"Eric wanted to jump in after Mick Taylor, but never did say so," he said.

"There are certain guys that are band players and there's certain guys that ain't. If there's anybody lazier than me, it's Eric."

Story from: [news.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 8, 2014 17:10

I like that news story about Lazy Keith and even lazier Eric. >grinning smiley<

Just had a peek at the prices for Jeff and ZZ Top and quite reasonable.

Some gigs from just under or about $60 with fees, and last one on ZZ Top home ground in Texas from $35 with fees.

Imagine the gigs will sell well.

I never get tired of watching the Ronnie Scott video and this one with a great bass solo from Tal.
Can't seem to be able to post the video on here,just the link.

New band when I see them in London soon with former bass player Rhonda Smith.

video: [youtu.be]

Date: April 9, 2014 00:26

gotdablouse
drbryant

That should be great ! Wonder what he'll be playing, maybe some new material from the album he mentioned to Rolling Stone in February. The tour started in Osaka on Friday but I haven't found any setlists so far. Think I'll try to catch in Paris...

So how was the show? Good setlist? Anything from his upcoming album?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 9, 2014 00:57

I thought it was a great show, but it seemed a bit short. I was not paying attention, but this setlist posted by someone in Japan looks about right.

LOADED - new song on album
NINE - new song on album
LITTLE WING
YOU KNOW YOU KNOW - new not on album
HAMMERHEAD
ANGELS FOOTSTEPS
STRATUS
YEMIN - new song on album
WHERE WERE YOU
THE PUMP
PORK PIE HAT/BRUSH WITH THE BLUES
YOU NEVER KNOW
DANNY BOY
BLUE WIND
LED BOOTS
CORPUS CHRISTI
BIG BLOCK

DAY IN THE LIFE
ROLLIN AND TUMBLIN
CAUSE WE ENDED AS LOVERS

Date: April 9, 2014 10:19

Thanks! How do the new songs sound like? He told RS that he'd found a "new style" or something like that...

--------------

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: April 9, 2014 10:26

I'm gonna see JB at Lake Constance in July, really looking forward to it smiling smiley

Date: April 9, 2014 12:22

gotdablouse
Thanks! How do the new songs sound like? He told RS that he'd found a "new style" or something like that...

The 1 he played on the Brian Wilson tour had a very Middle Eastern feel. Was interesting & I liked it. His violin player is great.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 9, 2014 19:39

thought he was horrific with the Stones - "im going down" - Gary Clark et al were much much better.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 9, 2014 19:42

michaelsavage
thought he was horrific with the Stones - "im going down" - Gary Clark et al were much much better.

He was terrific with the Stones - IMHO. cool smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 9, 2014 20:05

crholmstrom
gotdablouse

The 1 he played on the Brian Wilson tour had a very Middle Eastern feel. Was interesting & I liked it. His violin player is great.

The violin player (Lizzie Bell?) is out, which suits me as I didn't really care for it in every song.

VIP packages for several dates went on sale this morning but the meet and greet is apparently just ZZ Top.

I didn't think Jeff's style in "I'm Going Down" was a good match for the Stones. In fact, I think Keith actually showed Jeff up in that song.

This is a link to the audio from a Tokyo gig. Not great quality but gives you an idea of what the new band sounds like. Interesting to see Jeff working with another guitar player again.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 9, 2014 20:17

Thanks, going to give it a listen!

Per FB the band is :
Bassist - Rhonda Smith
Drums - Jonathan Joseph
Guitar - Nicolas Meier

--------------

Date: April 9, 2014 20:49

Cristiano Radtke
michaelsavage

That's not what i saw and heard. he "overplays"

Date: April 9, 2014 20:54

michaelsavage
Cristiano Radtke
michaelsavage

I agree. He was playing it like he does with his own band and seemed to lose sight of the fact that he was playing with the Stones. Keith stepped up and gave him a lesson in subtle dynamics. Never thought I'd see the day.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 9, 2014 23:12

bleedingman
VIP packages for several dates went on sale this morning but the meet and greet is apparently just ZZ Top.

There will be seperate Jeff Beck VIP packages as well, which would include sitting in on his soundcheck, exclusive poster, etc.
Don't know if this is for all dates, but if you click on various VIP packages on the ZZ Top website, you will see for example - the Missoula, MTJ date:

Jeff Beck - VIP Soundcheck Package

Package includes:

One Field - general admission ticket
VIP early entry into the venue
Exclusive access to Jeff Beck's pre-show soundcheck
Specially designed tour shirt (exclusive to VIP packages)
Collectible silkscreened tour poster (limited print, numbered)
Exclusive Jeff Beck tour merchandise item
Commemorative tour laminate
Limited availability

I went for a ZZ Top VIP last year at the Hollywood House of Blues for about $100 which included early entry, autographed poster, laminate, etc.
Front row center made it all worthwhile, and the signed poster is cool as well.

There was also a separate "meet and greet" which included all the above for about $200?
I didn't think it was necessary to meet ZZ Top w/ a bunch of other bozo's, although I guess it would have been nice to have a pic taken with them.

If anything, I'll do the Beck package...soundcheck and early entry are quite enticing.

Date: April 9, 2014 23:53

bleedingman
michaelsavage
Cristiano Radtke
michaelsavage

I agree. He was playing it like he does with his own band and seemed to lose sight of the fact that he was playing with the Stones. Keith stepped up and gave him a lesson in subtle dynamics. Never thought I'd see the day.

Exactly.

Date: April 10, 2014 00:48

Hairball
bleedingman

There will be seperate Jeff Beck VIP packages as well, which would include sitting in on his soundcheck, exclusive poster, etc.

Thanks, Hairball, I saw that after I posted. The price I saw was $250 for second row, sound check and mementos. No meet and greet with Jeff (I've met him already, very nice guy). Unfortunately I'm going to pass because I'm not a big ZZ Top fan and the venues aren't near me and are too big to make it worth my time and money. I was hoping Jeff would come back to the Beacon as he's been there on his last two go rounds in NYC and it really suited him.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 10, 2014 03:48

bleedingman
Hairball
bleedingman

Thanks, Hairball, I saw that after I posted. The price I saw was $250 for second row, sound check and mementos. No meet and greet with Jeff (I've met him already, very nice guy). Unfortunately I'm going to pass because I'm not a big ZZ Top fan and the venues aren't near me and are too big to make it worth my time and money. I was hoping Jeff would come back to the Beacon as he's been there on his last two go rounds in NYC and it really suited him.

I'm not the worlds biggest ZZ Top fan either...really don't like much they've recorded post-1980.
But for a $100 VIP at the small House of Blues? Yes it was cool.

As for Jeff Beck, I'm indeed a fan - especially live. I've seen him at the same House of Blues, the Wiltern, and other small venues in the So.Cal area throughout the years.

The Greek Theater in L.A. is an outdoor ampitheater and is by no means small...really not the best setting to see either band.
But what the hell, it should be a good show...especially if I can snag a Beck VIP ticket.

It would be great to see them jam together on something slow and bluesy...maybe like this old nugget:

Date: April 10, 2014 11:18

bleedingman
crholmstrom
gotdablouse

The violin player (Lizzie Bell?) is out, which suits me as I didn't really care for it in every song.

I didn't think Jeff's style in "I'm Going Down" was a good match for the Stones. In fact, I think Keith actually showed Jeff up in that song.

This is a link to the audio from a Tokyo gig. Not great quality but gives you an idea of what the new band sounds like. Interesting to see Jeff working with another guitar player again.

[www.youtube.com]

I made her giggle at the Las Vegas show. Seemed like a nice lady.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home