Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: OT: Jeff Beck and ZZ Top on tour August.
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 10, 2014 18:46

Picked up a Jeff Soundcheck package for the Boston show this morning - $175, 5th row ticket, plus the goodies. IMHO Jeff is the best guitar player ever - no one else even playing 'the same sport' to paraphrase Pulp Fiction. Should be a great double bill!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 10, 2014 21:02

Good on yer mate. winking smiley

I'm sure that 5 week tour in August and September, with loadsa gigs is gonna be great.

Looking forward to 3rd row stalls in front near stage at RAH May 14th. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 11, 2014 02:04

I've probably seen ZZ Top 30 times since 1983. Shows are last 3 years have been very short. 75 minutes headliner set (encores included) is the normal. My prediction for set times:

Jeff Beck: 75 Minutes
ZZ Top: 55 Minutes
Encore w/ Beck: 15 Minutes

Date: April 11, 2014 02:19

I wouldn't feel short changed by that at all.

Anything over 2 hours by an artist or a package deal with a show by 2 bands, is great with the general tix prices these bands are asking.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 11, 2014 02:20

trainarollin
I've probably seen ZZ Top 30 times since 1983. Shows are last 3 years have been very short. 75 minutes headliner set (encores included) is the normal. My prediction for set times:

A couple years ago I saw ZZ Top as second act to Tom Petty. Petty did his full 2 hour set and ZZ played about 75 to 80 minutes, which was too short. Too short because when they don't play their full set, one of the first songs that get the ax is "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide". Come to think of it, I don't know if they've done "Heard It On the X" much recently.

Date: April 11, 2014 03:15

trainarollin

why do you think zz top will play less than beck when they are the headliner?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 11, 2014 15:24

keefriffhard4life
trainarollin

why do you think zz top will play less than beck when they are the headliner?

If I had to guess, trainarollin didn't realize that ZZ's the headliner. I'm hoping some more dates will be added as the tour doesn't get quite close enough to me yet. I'd like to go to this one but not enough to drive as far as I'd currently have to.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 11, 2014 18:40

I realize they are the headliner. Their headliner standard set is 75 minutes including encores. Been that ways for a few years.

My encore w/ Jeff Beck prediction:

I'm Going Down
Tush
Jailhouse Rock

Date: April 11, 2014 21:14

I think they just flipped a coin to say who go's first.

Both great crowdpullers and fans following, so in my mind ,no headline act and no support act.

Encore at the end with both is gonna be great.

Won't be there but looking forward to reviews and youtube clips.

A lot to look forward to from May 26th till end of the year. >grinning smiley<

Date: April 12, 2014 04:37

trainarollin
I realize they are the headliner. Their headliner standard set is 75 minutes including encores. Been that ways for a few years.

My encore w/ Jeff Beck prediction:

I'm Going Down
Tush
Jailhouse Rock

or hey joe or a blues number

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 12, 2014 23:08

drbryant
I thought it was a great show, but it seemed a bit short. I was not paying attention, but this setlist posted by someone in Japan looks about right.

LOADED - new song on album
NINE - new song on album
LITTLE WING
YOU KNOW YOU KNOW - new not on album
HAMMERHEAD
ANGELS FOOTSTEPS
STRATUS
YEMIN - new song on album
WHERE WERE YOU
THE PUMP
PORK PIE HAT/BRUSH WITH THE BLUES
YOU NEVER KNOW
DANNY BOY
BLUE WIND
LED BOOTS
CORPUS CHRISTI
BIG BLOCK

DAY IN THE LIFE
ROLLIN AND TUMBLIN
CAUSE WE ENDED AS LOVERS

April 7th recording now on Dime : [www.dimeadozen.org] and an apparently excellent recording of the 9th too : [www.dimeadozen.org]

Oh and the new album is called YOSOGAI or is it just an EP [www.cdjapan.co.jp] - yes that's what it looks like :
1. Loaded
2 .Why Give It Away (feat. Sophie Delila)
3. Danny Boy (feat. Imelda May) (LIVE At Moody Theater, Austin, TX)

From [www.ainian.com] - A JB fan site I presume :

Artists often like to 'tour behind' something. With Jeff's tour of Japan about to start, Warner Bros. Japan has given Jeff just that. A three song EP called "Yosogai" which in Japanese means 'Unexpectedly' will be released April 5th and can be purchased at; [www.wmg.jp]. The cover art is built around a photo by Robert Knight. The three songs are;

"Loaded" - a new song from the upcoming new album due out soon. Co-written by Dean Garcia and Jeff Beck.
"Why Give It Away" featuring French vocalist Sophie Delila. This song was part of an effort to resurrect an album that was presented to Warner Bros. in early 2012 and then scrapped at the last second. Jeff hired the the UK 'Hip Hop' production trio 'SMV' and their Sanctuary Studios in Battersea for the project. Here's a pic of the crew that appeared in 'What's New' last year.

Warner scrapped a JB album, wow...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-12 23:17 by gotdablouse.

Date: April 12, 2014 23:57

I would like to hear the two of them do "Rough Boy". Billy and Jeff did that together a few years back for RR Hall of Fame NYC event. As an encore number it is too slow.

I would expect 3 quick songs that are under rehersed.

Date: April 13, 2014 22:31

Never seen this before and sure it's not on my Ronnie Scotts DVD.

Any Rockabilly fans out there.

Can't get the video to appear but here's the link.

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:21

crawdaddy

Can't get the video to appear

[youtu.be]

It works if you just copy and paste the entire link into your post, then drop the "s" after "http". No need to add the video tags around the URL.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 13, 2014 23:21

I'm pretty sure it was Jeff who scrapped the release, not Warner's. He's notoriously finicky. There was also an aborted blues CD with Rod Stewart that got canned after Rod said the recorded tracks were not in his register.

The Tokyo boots are good but I wish Jeff was doing a solo show in NYC. Jones Beach is not my favorite venue by a long shot. Have to pass this time.

Date: April 23, 2014 00:02

Just seen this video on what is becoming part of the encore in Japan.

Think Jeff and the band are playing in OZ now and really looking forward to Wednesday May 14th at Royal Albert Hall in London town.

winking smiley

Still can't get the full video screen on here. confused smiley

[youtu.be]

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: April 23, 2014 00:03

DEmerson
Picked up a Jeff Soundcheck package for the Boston show this morning - $175, 5th row ticket, plus the goodies. IMHO Jeff is the best guitar player ever - no one else even playing 'the same sport' to paraphrase Pulp Fiction. Should be a great double bill!

man I do not "get" J Beck at all. Talk about "overplaying" With the Stones it was horrifc BUT to each their own and hope you enjoy

Date: April 24, 2014 22:35

Jeff looks happy with his fans in Nagoya,Japan a few days ago, in a pic taken by his missus Sandra Beck. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2014 23:52

Heads up... VIP packages up for Greek Theater L.A. thumbs up

> VIP

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 8, 2014 00:53

He plays with a pick again? Hey Mathijs you should check this vid out! grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 11, 2014 10:36

Yesterday a friend of mine (longtime Beck fan) went to see Jeff Beck in Sao Paulo. He was texting me and now I've found this video with his version to I Put a Spell on You with Joss Stone.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: May 11, 2014 13:33

Is it really confirmed that Jeff and ZZT will - at least - play the encores together?
I remember from a few years back when Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy were touring together, we were all pretty sure
that they will be jamming together at the end of the night. But to our disappointment they did not.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 13, 2014 04:31

He debuted on new band in Sau Paulo. Stunning is the correct word! I'm listening to the whole show right now.

Jeff Beck
2014-05-10
Word Trade Center Golden Hall
Sao Paulo

01 Morning Dew
02 AinĀ“t Superstitious
03 Stratus
04 You Never Know
05 Cause We've Ended as Lovers
06 Big Block
07 A Change is Gonna Come
08 Freeway Jam
09 Rollin and Tumblin
10 You Know You Know
11 I Put a Spell on You
12 Little Wing
13 Foxy Lady
14 Manic Depression
15 People Get Ready
16 Blue Wind
17 You Shook Me
18 Going Down
19 A Day in the Life
20 Where Were You
21 Wild Thing

Jeff Beck - Guitars
Vinnie Colaiuta - Drums
Tal Wilkenfeld - Bass and Vocals on You Shook Me
Jimmy Hall - Vocals and Harmonica

Special Guest:

Joss Stone - Vocals on I Put a Spell on You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 04:32 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 13, 2014 08:47

crholmstrom
He debuted on new band in Sau Paulo. Stunning is the correct word! I'm listening to the whole show right now.

It's on YouTube now:

O/T Jeff Beck at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester. Monday 19th May, 2014.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 20, 2014 11:46

Hello,

Never pass-up the opportunity of seeing this guy- he will always do something in a show that will confound, delight and leave you speechless with admiration with just how easy it all seems...or is that just me, hah-hah!

As with the previous JB shows that I've been lucky to see, this is largely an instrumental experience but that's not to say that there is no acknowledgement of the audience or banter between the four band-mates (Rhonda Smith on bass, Jonathan Joseph drums and Nicholas Meier on guitar). At one point he mimics walking off the stage after Nic Meier played an extraordinary passage. Hoary old showbiz guff perhaps, but these folk know each other's worth.

I was pleased that this audience had come to listen but also provided as warm a reception and appreciation of each players' contribution and this created the welcome opposite of a vicious circle! There was a bit of humour up there too: when JB failed to *precisely* hit a very delicate note he called himself an arse and smiled...of course the sounds that came after that were exquisite!

Highlights? Er, all of it I think although there was the most beautiful version of 'Danny Boy' that took you somewhere else altogether. In short, he and they gave us a lot of joy!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-20 16:59 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Jeff Beck at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester. Monday 19th May, 2014.
Date: May 20, 2014 12:06

Jeff in a long sleeved shirt all night ?

Not often seen before.

Had that same jacket on at RAH ,but that soon came of with the vest underneath.

Sounds like a great show Simon ,and I had the same experience sitting right near the stage last week. smileys with beer

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 20, 2014 13:12

Jeff changed my musical outlook at age 15 in 1976. Opened for Aerosmith & blew them off the stage. Have seen in him several times, in several guises. I sat front row for the Brian Wilson show & have been close other times. Jeff never disappoints! He doesn't seem to have lost anything at age 70 (soon). I have tickets for the 2nd show of the ZZ Top tour & it looks to be the musical highlight of the summer. I like the current band fine but I have a boot of a show he did in Brazil a few weeks ago with a different band. Power trio (Tal on bass, Vinnie on drums) & Jimmie Hall singing some. Wow! You can get it on Guitars 101. Sugarmegs.org has a treasure trove of shows also. Uniformly excellent. The RAH show mentioned above is available on both sites. That one is excellent too.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: May 20, 2014 16:54

I enjoyed the RAH gig but I thought his guest appearance with the Stones in o2 was awful. He tried to squeeze as many tones and sound effects as possible in the shortest possible time. No wonder Keith's simple solo went down so well in this comparison.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 20, 2014 18:37

Hi Tony, CR & Martin,

Glad to see there's a few IORRians who like JB...I know his work can leave people cold!
Some kind soul shot this footage at the RAH show:

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 26, 2014 23:56

Saw him last night in Utrecht. A man of wealth and taste!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home