Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Your Biggest Stones Regret
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 31, 2014 01:37

stonesrule
Seems to me they are too young to fully enjoy the Stones live. Especially because your son may become quite uncomfortable in a stadium setting.

Why not plan a Rolling Stones afternoon over a weekend and play part of the the 4 Flicks DVD? With refreshments...If the kids love what they're seeing and hearing, you can schedule yet another afternoon for them to see the entire DVD.

Brilliant, and for what you're saving on tickets and travel, if you don't already have an amazing surround sound system, treat yourself!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 31, 2014 01:52

I regret not getting to see a show on the '69 Tour! My parents said I was too young....but they made up for it later on....they played Boston & NYC and that is fairly close to my home.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: March 31, 2014 03:58

I regret not going to the Toronto concerts in May/June. I was finishing up my last year of high school with no job... but now I've gotten more into the Stones then I was then (I'm 18 so I feel I can be excused) and I likely won't ever get another chance to see them.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 31, 2014 05:45

JuanTCB
I moved to NYC in the fall of '97 and was crashing on a friend's couch for the first couple of months. I still had my car and was planning on driving up to Port Chester for the MTV theater show, just to check out the scene. Just before I was about to leave, my friend/host got a phone call and, in a panic, told me that his girlfriend was on the way over and was going to beat the crap out of him because she heard he was having a little fun on the side. "You have to stay! It won't be as bad if you're here!" So I stayed... and found out about 15 years later (probably on this board) that it was pretty easy to get into the gig.

So yeah, missing the Stones in a theater - that still hurts.

At least I got to see my friend's girlfriend burst through the door and punch him in the face, though!

I was at that Capitol Theater show in Port Chester, NY in 1997 and don't recall it being easy to get into. The fans who won tickets from MTV had to meet at a secret location in NYC where they were checked in, then taken by bus to the venue. They gave you a wristband and handed you a ticket as you were exiting thde bus, and you had to go straight into the theater without stopping outside. There was no easy way to sell your ticket to anyone outside the theater (and there were plenty of people out there on the street hoping to get in). I don't know if they let anyone else in besides the contest winners, VIPs and other special guests, but if I were you I wouldn't regret going up there as it's not likely you would have been able to get in anyway. At least they broadcast it on MTV.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 31, 2014 15:28

mickschix
I regret not getting to see a show on the '69 Tour! My parents said I was too young....but they made up for it later on....they played Boston & NYC and that is fairly close to my home.

How old were you in 69?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 31, 2014 15:47

It must be that I missed to seek the bass-work in Stones when Bill quitted...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: March 31, 2014 15:58

Not seeing them in Stockholm 1970...sad smiley

I was 15 and my parents wouldn´t drive me there. (It was a 2-hour drive at the most)
Neither would my friends´ folks, and we didn´t dare to go by train or bus on our own...thumbs down

Then when they return to Sweden in 1973 I wasn´t particularly interested - then I was into prog mostly, and thought Exile ang GHS wasn´t that great...eye rolling smiley

So my first time was 1982, which I didn´t think was very good - though the excitement of finally seeing them live was great!
...and I thought it could be the last time...grinning smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 31, 2014 16:42

rootsman

I was 15 and my parents wouldn´t drive me there. (It was a 2-hour drive at the most)
Neither would my friends´ folks, and we didn´t dare to go by train or bus on our own...thumbs down

Then when they return to Sweden in 1973 I wasn´t particularly interested - then I was into prog mostly, and thought Exile ang GHS wasn´t that great...eye rolling smiley

So my first time was 1982, which I didn´t think was very good - though the excitement of finally seeing them live was great!

Exactly what you have written here goes for med too...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 31, 2014 16:51

Come On
rootsman

Exactly what you have written here goes for med too...smiling smiley

And you think it's funny not to have heard them live in both 70 and 73, perhaps the best tours the Stones ever did? tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: March 31, 2014 23:18

I never got to see Bill with the Stones.... sad smiley My first show was in 95. If I had been a fan a few years before I could have seen them in 90 when I was 13. But alas... But, I did get to see Stones at the Max on Imax (and Imax did not last many years in Oslo)! That was cool. smiling smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 1, 2014 00:05

Seen them over 50 times. I could of gone to another 10 shows but didn't.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 1, 2014 00:25

...never got to go to Cannes and do some kissin'...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 1, 2014 03:29

Not getting to see them whem M.Taylor was still with them. Just missed out on 72 at 15 and by 75 Ronnie had already joined up. My parents thought at the time that a 15yr old was just a little young to see a show where Hells Angels had once killed a guy in front of the stage and also where somebody once blew up one of their trucks {Montreal 1972} and now I'd have to agree with them.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 1, 2014 03:32

Saw them in Vancouver Hair and you didn't really miss all that much. Played way too loud for the venue and you couldn't tell one instrument from the other. The entire show might have been one big mistake but you couldn't have knowen. Sorry to pee on your parade.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 1, 2014 05:13

Not going to more concerts and not being able to convince my sister to give me her white Beggars Banquet and Goats Head Soup albums. She doesn't even listen to them.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 1, 2014 06:47

Well, it may very well be HERE and NOW, in Brisbane.
I'm presently following the very exciting Rolling Stones non-tour in Australia, and so far I have attended to four non-gigs.
I’m not the only one coming from Europe for this fabulous non-tour, but it is a small club among IORReans
Well, there are some great by-sides: wine tour, great ocean tour, national parks, Gold Coast...
But I think this sort of nominate us for the short list of winners of this thread..

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 1, 2014 07:00

Not buying the Austin T-Shirt, was there when they had plenty, went back to the booth and they were sold out. sad smiley

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: April 1, 2014 08:13

That they didn't bother with a sound check before their 1978 show at Soldier Field.

The entire right side of the PA didn't kick in until the last two songs, and then it sounded @#$%& great.

Finally.

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: April 1, 2014 08:16

If it isn't too painful, can I ask how much it cost?

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: April 1, 2014 08:56

rattler2004
Not buying the Austin T-Shirt, was there when they had plenty, went back to the booth and they were sold out. sad smiley

Keep checking on eBay. I've seen Stones shirts from all over for sale on there. Eventually somebody will list one and when they do, it can be yours.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 1, 2014 14:42

That I foolishly spent NZD150 on a Voodoo Lounge sweatshirt, size L. (I am a size XXS.)

All offers considered.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 1, 2014 14:49

3 Rivers Stadium '94

Girlfriend wasn't able to go. So I bought tickets for her parents too. We all ended up going. I bought a bunch of shirts. On the way home, I ended up giving them a couple. Really wish I haven't of done that now. eye rolling smileywinking smiley>grinning smiley<grinning smiley

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 1, 2014 15:11

Skipped the Buffalo show in 1997. I had a ticket well in advance, but had to work out of own that week. Got back in time to still get to the show, but figured it would be just a bunch of warhorses, anyway, so I chose to stay home and recover from days of travel. From my house, 2 miles from the stadium, I heard Keith lunch into I Wanna Hold You, and realized I had maybe underestimated what kind of show it would be.

It ended up being the last time they would play Buffalo, as it was a somewhat sparse crowd in a stadium they had filled 3 times on previous tours. Kind of the start of the end of the stadium era.

Posted by: island01 ()
Date: April 1, 2014 16:11

Not being older when they came to my country (Croatia) in 1998. Then they should have come in 2006 and I already had my ticket but the concert was canceled because of Keith's fall. Finally I will see them this year in Vienna.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 1, 2014 16:39

Seeing them in Oakland in 1994. I got excellent tix thru Bill German and I spent 3 weeks in Frisco.
The show was the least memorable part of the trek... I still think the 94 US tour was their worst one ever.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 1, 2014 16:46

buffalo7478
Skipped the Buffalo show in 1997. I had a ticket well in advance, but had to work out of own that week. Got back in time to still get to the show, but figured it would be just a bunch of warhorses, anyway, so I chose to stay home and recover from days of travel. From my house, 2 miles from the stadium, I heard Keith lunch into I Wanna Hold You, and realized I had maybe underestimated what kind of show it would be.

It ended up being the last time they would play Buffalo, as it was a somewhat sparse crowd in a stadium they had filled 3 times on previous tours. Kind of the start of the end of the stadium era.

Just to let you know The Stones stayed at The Roycroft in East Aurora when they were here in 97. My friend is a cook there and he couldn't even tell me until they were gone.

Posted by: nesko ()
Date: April 1, 2014 16:56

Born in 1964 ... missing the Seventy !!

nesko

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 1, 2014 17:30

Other than living in or near Toronto all my life and not seeing them live until 2003? (Head smack!)

alieb
I regret not going to the Toronto concerts in May/June. I was finishing up my last year of high school with no job... but now I've gotten more into the Stones then I was then (I'm 18 so I feel I can be excused) and I likely won't ever get another chance to see them.

They'll be back. Start saving.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: April 1, 2014 17:50

Another regret is that I didn't come home from college for the first Philadelhia show in 1994. I've never seen them in the rain and that would have been covered and, secondly, I would have heard It's All Over Now. Foolishly I put school ahead of Mick.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 2, 2014 23:58

I wish I'd been in the audience for this:

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2715
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home