Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones cover Chuck Berry
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 20, 2005 20:10

Noticeably absent from recent tours are Chuck Berry songs that made Stones concerts soar back in the old days. Apart from the Keith backed Johnnie Johnson litigation against Chuck Berry why else would the band drop the Berry catalogue from setlists of recent tours. Yes, I know they played Little Queenie at the b stage of some gigs at the Bridges Tour, but otherwise, thats it. I really miss those songs and would love to see the Stones reprise those fantastic songs. The Rolling Stones could cover Chuck Berry numbers like no one else. Comments anyone?

Re: Stones cover Chuck Berry
Posted by: dj ()
Date: May 20, 2005 20:53

Filstan, I have a playlist on my iPod with the exact title as your post (Stones Cover Chuck Berry). Funny. I'm with you. Nobody covers Chuck like the Stones. My personal fave is Around and Around from LYL.

Posted by: Manhattan ()
Date: May 20, 2005 20:58

No more @#$%& covers please. They've been there, done that. Something new please. Back Catalogue. YEAH. Don't play stupid songs like Lovetrain.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 20, 2005 21:16

Well yes, Love Train sucked. But the Berry covers are pure Stones. A raw Chuck Berry cover is part of a redhot real Stones show.
I believe that one reason they don't play them as often anymore is because this is where Keith and Ronnie are actually too much the same. With Taylor the "division" of the guitar functions within a song were evident. Taylor played the very, I mean VERY straight rythm. While Keith did what he does best. With Brian it was really the same. Onr can easily make out Brian chugging along on the two bottom strings. Unless he was blowing harp. Those versions are masterpieces in themselves.
So with one other instrument playing a restrained, rather pedantic, yet neccessary role Keith could dish out all the doublestops and backhanded riffing he wanted, And the song kept chugging.
When it's both Ron and Keith it is almost too much of a good thing. Ron was used to doing the exact same thing with the Faces. neither one of the two has been able to tone it down and provide the cushion for the other.
I think in 78 they took it as far as could be taken. It is a sound that runs it's course.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 20, 2005 21:20

Manhattan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No more @#$%& covers please. They've been there,
> done that. Something new please. Back Catalogue.
> YEAH. Don't play stupid songs like Lovetrain.

I disagree strongly.
So many covers are a natural part of their catalogue.
If you cant see the connection between the Stones & e.g. Chuck Berry, I dont understand why you like the Stones.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: May 20, 2005 21:43

Yeah:

Carol
Around And Around

Date: May 20, 2005 22:23

Little Queenie
20 Flight Rock
My Ding-A-Ling (Keith on vocals)
A&A *
Run Rudolph Run (Keith on vocals)
Don´t (Ya) Lie To Me *
Johnny B. Goode
Bye Bye Johnny
Come On *
Maybellene
Roll Over Beethoven
Memphis, Tennessee *
Havana Moon * (Keith on vocals)

(maybe: )
Carol
Sweet Little Sixteen

* = My prime wishes

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 20, 2005 23:31

Twenty Flight Rock is an Eddie Cochran number.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 21, 2005 03:57

Keith adding Run Rudolph Run to his mini set would really make it for me. Would slay me dead on the spot that one. Keith could also do Steet Little 16 as a one of his mid set numbers. Mick could sneak out and help. Could we get Keith and Mick to share a mic again please?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 21, 2005 05:24

Nadine!

- Koen.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 21, 2005 08:59

Bye-Bye Johnnie.

(Don't you remember the version in Ladies & Gentlemen?)

Re: Keith covers Chuck covering Brodie & Marks
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 21, 2005 09:31

hm: according to nzentgraf.de, Run Rudolph Run is by Brodie & Marks.
the only thing i know for sure about it is:
every version Keith's done of this is a trip and a half, man. :E

(edited to soothe!)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-21 14:06 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: May 21, 2005 11:13

dj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Filstan, I have a playlist on my iPod with the
> exact title as your post (Stones Cover Chuck
> Berry). Funny. I'm with you. Nobody covers Chuck
> like the Stones. My personal fave is Around and
> Around from LYL.

Around and around would be a great opener. Keith hitting the intro riff and Charlie pushing them on with his great rock/jazz rythm. That could be so great!
Setting the pace with that one!

HJofSweden

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: May 21, 2005 11:47

I think covers are one of the better things of the Stones.... are them? I mean, how many of us have know (mean, know seriously) to Chuck Berry, Ottis, Muddy Watters, and a long number of artists.... thanks to the Stones... maybe Im the only one.......

Covers are a very important part of the Stones.... and I think this is cause they are playing still today.,... They enjoy play their own songs.... but they love play the songs than make them love the music... the songs of their favourits bands, artists.... So, I want Sway, or Rocks Off, or Shine A Light, or Have You Seen Your Mother.... but Ill like got to You Gotta Move, or Bye, Bye Jhonny....

They take care of the good music.... this is their job......

be HAPPY

Date: May 21, 2005 11:49

Rudolph is a Berry-tune, Mark all my messages read.
Like Rockman said I´m more uncertain on 20 Flight; but I´ve
heard it was written under pseudonym by Chuckster.

Date: May 21, 2005 13:31

Twenty Flight Rock was written by Eddie Cochran and county artist Ned Fairfield. Cochran cut two versions of it one a straight rock version in 1956 the other a full throttle rockabilly version that he recut in 1957 for the movie The Girl Cant Help It.
ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-21 13:32 by Rockman.

Date: May 21, 2005 13:55

Thank you Rockman!
I was on my god way to take awaw a Berry-tune "Dont [Ya] Lie To Me"
the other day & now I almost gave another to him on which he apparently shouldnt be credited

BTW does anyone know what it means that Route 66 i semi-proclaimed as a cover from Berry by the Stones at his site [www.chuckberry.com]?

Right now Mannish Boy from LYL on Radio Netscape´s Satisfaction Radio:
how in earth can anyone n o t wish cover from the Stones?
Not that I dont wanna hear their own material -
but there are some awesome covers... What about Love In Vain for an instance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-21 13:55 by Baboon Bro.

Date: May 21, 2005 14:14

Route 66 was written by Bobby Troup and first released by Nat King Cole Trio on Capitol Records in 1949.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 21, 2005 15:57

kaskatanas says the right things. "They take care of the good music.. this is their job" That is beautiful.
Also it's true: many of the great artists that are a huge staple of our daily listening regime are there thnaks to the Stones and Keith. Robert Johnson and "Love in Vain" e.g. On those early issues actually credited to J&R, then later on 'Trad. arr J&R' finally "Johnson". Same with "Stop Breaking Down". I have actually seen some old releases that credited this one to all five Stones.

Date: May 21, 2005 18:25

"We just pass it on", as ol Keith use to say.

And thanks again, Rocky. But maybe Chuckster or someone at his site thinks Route 66 is borrowed from him in some way or that the Stones´ version borrows some lick solution from Chuckster... Any theories on this?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 21, 2005 20:25

well ... since (again going by nzentgraf.de) Down the Road Apiece is by Don Raye and (as has already been noted) Route 66 is by Bobby Troup, maybe those two titles are in parentheses on Chuck's site because he didn't write them? just a theory, of course.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-21 21:42 by with sssoul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home