Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Sex Drive
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 27, 2023 18:27

treaclefingers
LeonidP
I have never liked this one. I don't consider it their worst effort, but I'd have to believe it's my least listened to Stones track, since its inclusion was only as an extra to a live album.

You can't possibly be listening to this less than Back to Zero, or as the hip people refer to it, BTZ.

For the record, I think this is a great song...give it a 7 out of 10. About on par with High Wire.

Back To Zero is definitely worse than Sex Drive. But my point is that Sex Drive wasn't on a studio album release, and hence why less listens. I must have heard BTZ at least 200 times. I doubt that I've listened to Sex Drive more than 20 times.

Date: November 27, 2023 21:12

I had just seen the 'Dont Stop' thread, and am thinking surely this must be one of their worst cuts; but then I see 'Sex Drive'.
I'll take Back to Zero any time over those two.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 27, 2023 22:08

LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
I have never liked this one. I don't consider it their worst effort, but I'd have to believe it's my least listened to Stones track, since its inclusion was only as an extra to a live album.

You can't possibly be listening to this less than Back to Zero, or as the hip people refer to it, BTZ.

For the record, I think this is a great song...give it a 7 out of 10. About on par with High Wire.

Back To Zero is definitely worse than Sex Drive. But my point is that Sex Drive wasn't on a studio album release, and hence why less listens. I must have heard BTZ at least 200 times. I doubt that I've listened to Sex Drive more than 20 times.

OK, got your point. But you also let slip out you've listened to BTZ at least 200 times. GOOD LORD MAN you have masochistic tendencies!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 28, 2023 01:28

... Most of those Back To Zero listens were within the first couple months of the album release date, i.e. when playing the entire album. I'm pretty sure that I've never singled out BTZ for a listen on its own (well probably a couple times when in a discussion about it).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 28, 2023 10:54

I really like Sex Drive. I love the guitars, which are far more intricate than you would think on first listen. Great sound.

And as I remember, it was a real hit in the clubs and on MTV in 1991 as I recall. The entire summer of 1990 and 1991 the Stones were huge in The Netherlands, with the tour, Flashpoint, Tour of Duty, IMAX.

A time when nobody complained if I proposed to put on the latest live album of the Stones.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-28 11:38 by Mathijs.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2023 19:22

Mathijs
I really like Sex Drive. I love the guitars, which are far more intricate than you would think on first listen. Great sound.

And as I remember, it was a real hit in the clubs and on MTV in 1991 as I recall. The entire summer of 1990 and 1991 the Stones were huge in The Netherlands, with the tour, Flashpoint, Tour of Duty, IMAX.

A time when nobody complained if I proposed to put on the latest live album of the Stones.

Mathijs

There was a 30 second radio promo for FLASHPOINT a week or two before Highwire was released. Hearing Start Me Up was excellent, and Highwire was great to hear, too. Can't recall if Sex Drive was included but the guitar tones in it are way better than anything on STEEL WHEELS. Great horns, too.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 28, 2023 20:07

I'm usually not up for the disco songs but I have no problem with this one. Think it's pretty good for an obscure track. I like Micks vocal here too. And the video, for that time was very risque. Imagine that instead of "Angry"winking smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 28, 2023 20:19

The video was brillant - Watts and Jagger are funny, Richards,Wood and Wyman do a good job, and the women look sexy. Today it would cause a a pussy riot.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 28, 2023 21:02

It's not that I dislike the song, but I remember the frustration at the time was mainly for me that instead of these two new songs, there could have been two extra live songs on the record and I would have much preferred that, after all it was a live record. They could also have added, for example 2000 Light Years, Gimme Shelter, Undercover, or Harlem Shuffle.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 28, 2023 21:15

GJV
It's not that I dislike the song, but I remember the frustration at the time was mainly for me that instead of these two new songs, there could have been two extra live songs on the record and I would have much preferred that, after all it was a live record. They could also have added, for example 2000 Light Years, Gimme Shelter, Undercover, or Harlem Shuffle.

The added Rock and A Hard Place and Can’t Be Seen as CD-bonus tracks, and they did release 2000 Light Years from Home, Play with Fire and I Just Want to Make Love To You as singles.

Mathijs

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 28, 2023 21:26

Yes, I know but I don't want studio tracks on a live album.
I bought all the singles for the extra live tracks, but that is not the same as having it all on the album.
But now we have the complete Atlantic City official, which is great, but I would have loved to have a double live album of the 1989-90 tour thirty years ago.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 28, 2023 21:51

I'm with you on that one GJV. I used to shuffle between all those CD singles playing the live tracks. Some real treasures in there. Hey, this might be a good "archive release" for them to consider.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 28, 2023 23:18

I like this song, not great, but enjoyable
The guitars are wonderful. I miss that stuff with those guitars licks

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 29, 2023 01:21

Nice guitar parts but the problem of this song, like Mick's GGAG and EL, is that it's pretty much tuneless. Fortunately they haven't done too many of these over the years ;-) Ah well that thing on VL too, what was it called...had to look it up : "Suck on the Jugular".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 29, 2023 12:41

It's not unusual that funk songs lacks a little in the melody department.

More emphasis on the groove.

Hot Stuff
Dance
Fingerprint File

All excellent songs without much melody.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 29, 2023 21:31

Sure but they're not completely tuneless !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 29, 2023 22:23

gotdablouse
Sure but they're not completely tuneless !

Neither is Sex Drive smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home