Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Sex Drive
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 8, 2014 15:14

Never liked this one.
Forced and booring.

Date: May 8, 2014 15:15

The performance is fantastic, it's maybe too good - coming from the Stones.

There is a fine line there somewhere, when perfection tips over into sterility.

That said, I think Keith's (in particular) and Ronnie's guitars are fantastic on this track.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 8, 2014 15:26

I like the song but what annoys me is the song is built on loops : for the verses the drums and the guitar riff have been looped.

To that's a "no-no" on a Stones record. I'd tend to think it's more of a Jagger solo track (à la D&G) than a band song.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: May 8, 2014 15:27

Loops r fun

Date: May 8, 2014 15:27

dcba
I like the song but what annoys me is the song is built on loops : for the verses the drums and the guitar riff have been looped.

To that's a "no-no" on a Stones record. I'd tend to think it's more of a Jagger solo track (à la D&G) than a band song.

I don't think Keith's guitar is looped, if you listen carefully? He does different things right after every of the James Brown-riffs/licks..

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 8, 2014 15:34

My least favorite Stones track. I cannot stand it.

The only Stones songs I really hate are this, Rock and A Hard Place, Terrifying, Gomper and Sing It All Together (See What Happens).

Date: May 8, 2014 15:35

"Terrifying, Gomper"

Love both smiling smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 8, 2014 19:05

dont like sex drive, its boring.

i do like highwire though, which was a decent single of its day and showed that the stones still rolled after 29 years.

who would have thought then that 23 years later they would still be on the go.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: May 8, 2014 19:14

Meh....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 9, 2014 01:55

Terrible song and a disturbing artifact of The Stones playing to their lowest common denominator. Playing safe faux funk, using the obligatory sex cliche that would burden many of Jagger's worst lyrics in the years to come.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:09

I'll lick the fuzz right off the peach ....always grinned at that one

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:55

This would make a great duet with Miley Cyrus on the upcoming tour.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 9, 2014 09:01

Yeah yeah, Good song, fun video.the uncensored one, . Like it !! and indeed, i will lick the fuzz right of her peach !!!!!!!!!! haaaaaaaahahahahahaha

Jeroen

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 9, 2014 22:26

Idiotic song

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 10, 2014 02:17

Shantipole
Meh....

Yep. Though I do like the guitar riff, at least for a while. Really, the best thing about it is Charlie the shrink in the video.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 29, 2014 17:51

Sex Drive documentary (MTV, 1991)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 22, 2021 19:03

gotdablouse
Haven't we discussed this song recently in a TT ?! Anyway, yes, I'm a sucker for a funky grove but this song being one of the rare (only?) Stones song without a melody, it quickly becomes boring.

I think I remember reading in early 1992 in Dieter Hoffmann's Weissbuch that it started as a jam in Tokyo during the SW tour...I suppose some tapes of that must have "circulated" at the time.

Just bumped into this, Mick jamming on stage with his blue guitar in Tokyo in 1990, doesn't sound much like SD but maybe Keith "fixed" it later on

[youtu.be]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-22 22:01 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 22, 2021 21:26

71Tele
This would make a great duet with Miley Cyrus on the upcoming tour.

Tour?

If there is one, maybe pantomimed grandfather/granddaughter sex will
no longer be a thing?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 22, 2021 21:44

Song is crap like most of their funk incursions

Date: March 22, 2021 21:56

Fantastic guitar playing by Keith.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 23, 2021 02:59

DandelionPowderman
Fantastic guitar playing by Keith.

Sounds like he's got the Champ nice and hot.

Date: November 27, 2023 04:56

Ozzy Osbourne said on The Osbournes Podcast that anti-depressants impact sex drive.

Would The Stones song fix this issue?

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 27, 2023 13:25

Taylor1

In my opinion, funk is a part of their great eclecticism and ability to explore every musical direction...and make it their own.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 27, 2023 13:58

One of their poorest efforts

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2023 14:02

HardRiffin
Taylor1

In my opinion, funk is a part of their great eclecticism and ability to explore every musical direction...and make it their own.

I think the Stones were able to adapt to any new musical trends, especially the owns deriving from black American scene, pretty naturally and making those their own, all the way into late 70's, the latest being punk and disco. But from then on it has been a struggle, and after some trials and errors during the 80's (including Mick's solo), they haven't really tried that that much. The music simply changed so much that is beyond their reach (that is based on or even bounded by their rhythm and blues foundation). It can be clothed more contemporary, but the substance derives from the past.

The new album pretty much tells the same thing. There is not much added to what they already said in SOME GIRLS as far trends and different genres (existing by then) go (the Macca punk piece and the old-style disco single being the 'latest additions', although "Whole Wide World" has some nice post-punk/ Brit pop influences).

But as far as funk goes, I think they always have had a nice, unique sounding take on it. Keith and Ronnie - well, Mick, too - are so rhythm oriented guitar players, and Charlie is Charlie, so it fits to them naturally. But I don't think "Sex Drive" is that good example. It sounds too much 'poor man's James Brown', and they cannot keep the heat or interest as the master does. It just gets boring pretty quickly.

EDIT: just noticed, I did review this song already 9 years ago. Well, the verdict is still the same, I see (although I seem to be more diplomatic these days... grinning smiley).

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-27 14:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 27, 2023 14:35

I have never liked this one. I don't consider it their worst effort, but I'd have to believe it's my least listened to Stones track, since its inclusion was only as an extra to a live album.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: November 27, 2023 15:05

May be I'm the only one who loves this track. Is that a problem?

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 27, 2023 15:14

deardoctor

Me too!!
I really like 'Club Version' too!
[youtu.be]

Sex Drive Documentary MTV
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-27 15:22 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2023 16:02

deardoctor

Hell no! grinning smiley It is not a bad track at all. But I guess with the Stones the quality standard is just so high - people are spoiled - that a bit more mediocre output is easily critizised more than it deserves.

- Doxa

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 27, 2023 16:30

LeonidP
I have never liked this one. I don't consider it their worst effort, but I'd have to believe it's my least listened to Stones track, since its inclusion was only as an extra to a live album.

You can't possibly be listening to this less than Back to Zero, or as the hip people refer to it, BTZ.

For the record, I think this is a great song...give it a 7 out of 10. About on par with High Wire.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home