Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stripped...
Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: May 19, 2005 15:54

I actually don't like really this album. Am I alone on this??

The cover's great though...

Re: Stripped...
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 19, 2005 16:03

Yes. I think it may be their best overall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-19 16:03 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 19, 2005 16:04

It's the greatest album they released in the 90s IMHO.

Great live tracks, especially Street Fighting Man, Like A Rolling Stone & Dead Flowers.

And the new versions of older songs are up there with the originals. And if one of the songs is Wild Horses... you understand I really like this album.

And I give this album high ratings, it could have been even better (if you see what else is on Stripped Companion).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-19 16:04 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Martijn ()
Date: May 19, 2005 16:06

I like this album! It's great...

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: May 19, 2005 16:19

Cool. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's utter crap, it just doesn't 'do it' for me.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: May 19, 2005 16:20

It's fantastic. I wish they would release an Exile on Main St. "Stripped" where they go back and re-record all the songs off Exile or perhaps Sticky, Beggars or Let it Bleed.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 19, 2005 16:25

Despite some people saying some bad things about this album and Mathijs stating in another post that this has some really bad guitar playing, I have always liked this album. Its one of my mother's favorite Stones album and she grew up watching the Stones on Ed Sullivan. I also love the songs that didn't make the album.. Black Limousine, Gimme Shelter and so on. I hate the term people use about Mick's vocals being over the top.

Posted by: Fansince1964 ()
Date: May 19, 2005 16:32

After having listened to the album and watched the TV documentary of Stripped
over and over again I must say it's one of the best albums they've released.
Old blues songs mixed up with some of their greatest songs written t has to be!

"Old basher" comes in on the drums on "Love in vain" and shows the rest of the bunch how to play it!

The spider and the fly, picked up and polished off. What a feeling they have for these old covers. Like it like it yes I do!

HJofSweden

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 19, 2005 16:38

Great album, if the new album would be as good I would be very happy!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 19, 2005 17:10

Stripped is *beautiful!*
as is Stripped Companion.
(and The Spider & the Fly isn't a cover.)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 19, 2005 17:17

I liked the album

I liked the CD singles bonus tracks every bit as much

and I liked the TV special even more.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 19, 2005 17:38

I tend to get a hard time when I´m reviewing Stones album
(some might remember the Beggars-debate).
I really like Stripped.
But there are some points where one gets to think;
compare Out On Bails´s version with Stripped regarding the former´s
version of SFM... What has happened?
Like A Rolling Stones is grooovy; yet a side of Stones (the fat sound)
which I sometimes have tough dealing with): It´s like Stones with E Street Band or slt. Not Fade Away, really rockin´, more than OK. Shine A Light... Almost like in the good ol days... Jagger is flowing & floating with, on & at the groove. S&F fine piece of boogie-based blues or bluesrock. I´m Free; Well, we´re back in Springsteen-land again. Not a bad land, yet not Stones-land either. Is it Chuckie I hear dominating the sound?
WH is a smasher let go with some too 'rough' edges... It´s the perfection which makes them 'rough' in a weird way. Nice co-singin thru most of the song, but at times it makes you sick. LIB: after the rule book (in the most positive sense) plus some extra feelin & jokin by Jagger. DF: Like LIB; but here also a pick-nick out to the the Band-land. SLipping Away: My favorite... As i got it & from what I´ve heard lately on the 80´s-90´s-00´s live recordings Keith have had a hard time, real sh*te time doin his vocal numbers; but here he must have had a real good day, right... Sound just as good as in (e.g.) All About You or as in the solo stuff like Hate It When You Leave or the rockier numbers like Little T & A. Angie is a goosebumper. Love In Vain semi-perfect, yet with some tired sequences.
Sweet Virginia, real nice, fine groove, tight, genuine country feeling with not too much irony, which is to be preferred - one of the best tracks!! Little Baby; maybe a strange choice of cover. Little too much (as we say in Sweden: ) beer- or Old Men´s rock.
Summary: Probably one of the best documentations of the 90´s Stones there is or could have been. But I prefer the Santiago discs when speaking of ´95.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 19, 2005 17:43

One of their best for sure. Really great IMO. BTW: Who is "Arthur"???? He is mentioned when Keef f*cks up "Love In Vain".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 19, 2005 18:00

heya Kent ... i think the "Arthur" is Ronnie joking about Keith referring to "missing the archipelago" - he's suggesting yet another wrong term to use.
but (in a not-really related story!) once when Keith was asked about rock & roll being art, he said something like: "all i know about art is that it's short for Arthur."

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-19 18:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: May 19, 2005 18:02

He's talking about Ronnie's comment about arpeggio - so Keith says 'Arthur who?' (Arthur Peggio - sounds like).

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-19 18:04 by Stikkyfinger.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 19, 2005 18:04

Thanks for shining a light on that subject guys. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2301
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home