Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Is Mick Taylor on board for Europe?
Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 12:44

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but is MT continuing on the Europe tour? I can't see him mentioned in any of the announcements.
Since he's been involved, they've always mentioned "Special Guest Mick Taylor"..

Have I missed something or is he not involved?

Cheers

Re: Is Mick Taylor on board for Europe?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 15, 2014 13:15

Personally, I can't see them turning back at this point. Since Mick Taylor is SO good on this tour, it would just be plain unfair for that region not to get him. IMO.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 15, 2014 13:22

Cannot imagine he won't be on board for his three songs smiling smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 15, 2014 13:24

Of course.

Date: March 15, 2014 13:34

RollingFreak
Personally, I can't see them turning back at this point. Since Mick Taylor is SO good on this tour, it would just be plain unfair for that region not to get him. IMO.

I agree...but his name doesn't appear in any of the press releases that I've seen...so I don't think he'll be there.
I would be very happy to be mistaken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 13:35 by champ72.

Date: March 15, 2014 13:53

champ72
RollingFreak

I agree...but his name doesn't appear in any of the press releases that I've seen...so I don't think he'll be there.
I could be wrong, but was he immediately mentioned for the shows earlier this year. I feel like that announcement came like 2 weeks after they said they were playing new shows.

You could be right, I would just be very surprised and I feel the Stones would and should expect backlash if they don't. Other than London who got it in 2012, why is Europe not special enough to get him as well. They'd really be getting the short end of the stick if thats the case.

But as usual, I guess we just have to wait. I think its a 90% definitely he'll be there though.

Date: March 15, 2014 14:04

RollingFreak
champ72
RollingFreak

I could be wrong, but was he immediately mentioned for the shows earlier this year. I feel like that announcement came like 2 weeks after they said they were playing new shows.

You could be right, I would just be very surprised and I feel the Stones would and should expect backlash if they don't. Other than London who got it in 2012, why is Europe not special enough to get him as well. They'd really be getting the short end of the stick if thats the case.

But as usual, I guess we just have to wait. I think its a 90% definitely he'll be there though.
Yes, he was - I know because I live in Sydney and that was the factor that made me shell out the $1K+ for the two tickets....
I hope you are right because I want to see him continue and ultimately play on some more songs. I would think he will, they rehearsed CYHMK and LIV as far as I know..so you'd think that was with a view to playing them..

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 15, 2014 14:23

Hadn't crossed my mind, but good point, he was indeed mentioned in the announcement of the "14 on Fire" tour...Maybe it just didn't cross their mind either since he's part of the gang now, somewhere in between "band member"/"permanent sideman".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 14:58

Just saw them in Macau. Considering the way they Are using M. Taylor I don't really care if he is on or out for Europe. His talent is wasted, beside midnight rambler he is on stage just as a symbol . Really, for me it's the same

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:17

andrea66
Just saw them in Macau. Considering the way they Are using M. Taylor I don't really care if he is on or out for Europe. His talent is wasted, beside midnight rambler he is on stage just as a symbol . Really, for me it's the same
Really. I can't imagine his being there or not would make a difference to anyone, given how they are (not) using him. Before it was evident that he would play really on one song and just be there for show on another two, I could see people making the effort to see him.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:25

Rokyfan
andrea66
Really. I can't imagine his being there or not would make a difference to anyone, given how they are (not) using him. Before it was evident that he would play really on one song and just be there for show on another two, I could see people making the effort to see him.

So far Taylor's absence is quite disappointing, given the fact that they rehearsed a good number of songs with him. Besides he's in great shape. Only Silver Train was a nice surprise and MR in Shanghai was historic. For the rest it didn't matter that much, because his presence on MR was a done deal.
But there is a tiny little chance that he'll do some more in Australia. Who knows, but I don't put my money on it.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:28

No need for him, but it would be nice

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:38

I guess they use him as a Gimmick, a Hype.

Shame really, cause he is a great musician and a lovely guy.

maybe he is okay with the money he will get, and does not give a flying @#$%& about it. (i think he does, but he would also want to have the money)
Jeroen

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:43

Yes, Mick Taylor will be on stage during the European Tour.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-22 17:52 by tioms.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:47

I started a new thread here in January for Mick Taylors' birthday and if I remember rightly it was announced the same day.
I'm sure he is gonna be on the Europe tour.
Would be totally unfair if he wasn't,both to him and the fans.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:50

tioms
Yes, Mick Taylor will be on stage during the European Tour.
And I don't have inside information.
What would you imagine?
And nobody in the world was thinking in 1974 he should left the Stones.
He is an exellent guitarplayer.
Remember the 4 LP's he made with the Stones.

Tioms

'Four' ?

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: March 15, 2014 17:04

mention

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-22 17:49 by tioms.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 15, 2014 21:50

I've no evidence whatsoever for this, but I suspect there's a chance that Taylor will get fed up being used as the Midnight Rambler circus elephant and bail on them again. I wouldn't blame him in the slightest. Whatever you think of Taylor's solo career, he's called his own shots and done it his own way for the past few decades. No doubt he's making far more money now than he has for decades - since he toured with Dylan in the early 80s, I guess - but trading in his former artistic independence for a big pay packet, the lunacy of the Stones' touring party and one guitar solo a night must be very frustrating for someone of his ability.

Edit: much depends, I suppose, on a) how much he's getting paid, b) how he gets paid - was he given an advance for the tour, is he paid by the show, or both? - and c) what Mick and Keith told him beforehand about his involvement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 21:54 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 15, 2014 21:56

Though they are assigning different legs of their world tour different names, it is still the same concept--the 50th anniversary celebrations which they are bringing to their various global markets, so since Mick Taylor is included in this concept he will certainly be along and will remain until the next tour concept is announced.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 15, 2014 22:11

But He looks as if he is having fun, even with Keith and getting better with every show. Furthermore, he is being received rapturously by huge crowds.

Why would he feel the need to bail out of a few more months of very high profile lucrative work, annoying Ronnie, who has been very generous IMO, when it could act as a great platform for the future ? He's not in his 20s anymore - what would be the point of stumping off in a huff ?

Date: March 15, 2014 22:14

tioms
Yes four,

Sticky Fingers,
Exile On Main Street,
Goat's head Soup,
It's Only R'Roll,
I don't mention ""Get Yer's out"", that's a live LP.

Let It Bleed also deserves a mention + the two official live albums: Get Yer Ya Yas Out and Brussels Affair...

Date: March 15, 2014 22:14

EJM
But He looks as if he is having fun, even with Keith and getting better with every show. Furthermore, he is being received rapturously by huge crowds.

Why would he feel the need to bail out of a few more months of very high profile lucrative work, annoying Ronnie, who has been very generous IMO, when it could act as a great platform for the future ? He's not in his 20s anymore - what would be the point of stumping off in a huff ?

Even with Keith? smiling smiley

Date: March 15, 2014 22:15

DandelionPowderman
tioms
Yes four,

Sticky Fingers,
Exile On Main Street,
Goat's head Soup,
It's Only R'Roll,

Let It Bleed also deserves a mention + the two official live albums: Get Yer Ya Yas Out and Brussels Affair...
He's on like 2 tracks on Let It Bleed, and not even the ones like Gimme Shelter or Midnight Rambler that people typically associate him with. I wouldn't count that one, and Brussels Affair was released officially 40 years after the show. An argument could and should be made for Ya Yas, but 4 isn't exactly wrong.

Date: March 15, 2014 22:33

Even with keith [/b]

Excuse me - especially with keith

Date: March 15, 2014 22:46

EJM
Why would he feel the need to bail out of a few more months of very high profile lucrative work, annoying Ronnie, who has been very generous IMO, when it could act as a great platform for the future?

I'm not saying that this is definitely going to happen, or even that it's likely. Nonetheless, some thoughts:

1) The 50th anniversary tours have already raised Taylor's profile. The current shows, taking place as they are in a part of the world where the Stones don't figure in collective memory in the same way they do in Europe and the United States, and thus not being attended by age-old Stones fans who saw them live in 1972, are not raising his profile any further.

2) How does this act as a great platform for the future? Taylor is already very well regarded by the musicians and producers with whom he's worked previously and will likely work again. Moreover, Taylor by his very nature draws a fairly limited and self-selecting audience: he appeals to Stones fans of a certain age and guitar nerds who like a certain style of playing. Spending the best part of two years jetting around the world in order to play Midnight Rambler every few nights changes neither of these things.

3) There's an assumption on this board and amongst Stones fans in general that Taylor ought to be grateful for having been invited back. Why? He has never actually expressed regret about having left. Lots of Stones fans superimpose their own regrets about his departure onto him, and I feel that's unfair. Like I said, whatever you feel about Taylor's solo career, he's done it his own way, and he has rarely if ever shown much sign of caring about the trappings of stardom or the rock'n'roll lifestyle. (Seriously, y'all think you'd have enjoyed touring with the Stones in the 70s, you think Taylor was mad to leave? Try doing it for a week, you'll want to go to bed with a cup of tea and some nice DVDs.) Ultimately, the one thing Mick Taylor definitely gets a kick out of and enjoys is playing guitar - and that is what the Stones are not letting him do.

Date: March 15, 2014 22:58

Well - re profile,and platform - these big shows often introduce a younger audience to band members - my neice had never heard of mick taylor and after seeing the Hyde Park Gig is now seeking out Mick tayler music - it's not just the old guard who remember mick Taylor from the past.

Mick and Ronnie had a good time playing together and may do more in the future if relationships remain good - why mess that one up ?

Touring in 2013 is way different from last time - bonkers schedule, everyone wasted, tension all over the place. These days it's quite different and much less reason to quit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 23:01 by EJM.

Date: March 15, 2014 23:21

EJM
Well - re profile,and platform - these big shows often introduce a younger audience to band members - my neice had never heard of mick taylor and after seeing the Hyde Park Gig is now seeking out Mick tayler music - it's not just the old guard who remember mick Taylor from the past.

Mick and Ronnie had a good time playing together and may do more in the future if relationships remain good - why mess that one up ?

Touring in 2013 is way different from last time - bonkers schedule, everyone wasted, tension all over the place. These days it's quite different and much less reason to quit.

No, I agree with all of that. I'm just trying to point out that there are big sacrifices for MT in all of this, and that the tradeoff involved - money and public exposure for artistic independence - may not be as straightforward for him as a lot of people here seem to think.

Date: March 15, 2014 23:34

Very Fair comments Stoneburst

but it does seems to me that he is more relaxed in this tour than in 2013 - and it's not long before he go,back to what ever else he wants to do

But, of course, what do we know anyway? We are like the journalists who looked for clues in official photographs to explain the interaction between Kremlin officials before the Berlin Wall came down.

( I do hope MT does stay though)

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 16, 2014 00:49

Yes, of course! They still need him to load the band's luggage onto the tour buses. And if he does a good job and doesn't complain too much he can come up and play on a number or two with the lads.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-16 01:15 by TornAndFried.

Date: March 16, 2014 01:05

RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman
tioms
Yes four,

Sticky Fingers,
Exile On Main Street,
Goat's head Soup,
It's Only R'Roll,

He's on like 2 tracks on Let It Bleed, and not even the ones like Gimme Shelter or Midnight Rambler that people typically associate him with. I wouldn't count that one, and Brussels Affair was released officially 40 years after the show. An argument could and should be made for Ya Yas, but 4 isn't exactly wrong.

So? Doesn´t playing on Live With Me and Country Honk count? It is 5 + 2.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home