Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Out of Control - Chromatic Harmonica?
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: March 11, 2014 05:56

When listening to the song "Out of Control" (studio version, track 7 on Bridges to Babylon), during the break and at the fade-out, does it sound like Mick Jagger is playing a chromatic harmonica?

This harmonica is said to be more difficult to play compared to the diatonic harmonica Mick J. usually favors. It also has a wider range of notes and is often used in classical settings with orchestras.

~Ben

Re: Out of Control - Chromatic Harmonica?
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 11, 2014 08:50

BrianJones1969
When listening to the song "Out of Control" (studio version, track 7 on Bridges to Babylon), during the break and at the fade-out, does it sound like Mick Jagger is playing a chromatic harmonica?

This harmonica is said to be more difficult to play compared to the diatonic harmonica Mick J. usually favors. It also has a wider range of notes and is often used in classical settings with orchestras.

I've never seen Mick play a chromatic harmonica and I doubt he knows how. I've seen them do Out Of Control live many times and he was using a standard diatonic harp. The only possible chromatic harmonica on a Stones record may the solo Sugar Blue does on Miss You but I would have to check on that. Probably somebody else here knows for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-11 09:15 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 11, 2014 08:52

Little Walter .................

ROCKMAN

Date: March 11, 2014 09:09

Normal harp, but not the "blues key" harp...

Same with CYHMK, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-11 12:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 11, 2014 12:18

TornAndFried
BrianJones1969

I've never seen Mick play a chromatic harmonica and I doubt he knows how. I've seen them do Out Of Control live many times and he was using a standard diatonic harp. The only possible chromatic harmonica on a Stones record may the solo Sugar Blue does on Miss You but I would have to check on that. Probably somebody else here knows for sure.

No, Mick doesn't play a chromatic harmonica there. He actually plays a diatonic harp in E, just as he does live. Sugar Blue's harmonica in "Miss You" is a D diatonic harmonica. it's an interesting solution, because he plays cross harp (so called 2nd position) even if the song is in minor key. To this moment I don't recall any Stones' recording where a chromatic harmonica is used. However, if there would have been an harmonica part in "Melody", I think a chromatic harmonica would have suited well in there!

Date: March 11, 2014 12:24

Wild Slivovitz
TornAndFried
BrianJones1969

No, Mick doesn't play a chromatic harmonica there. He actually plays a diatonic harp in E, just as he does live. Sugar Blue's harmonica in "Miss You" is a D diatonic harmonica. it's an interesting solution, because he plays cross harp (so called 2nd position) even if the song is in minor key. To this moment I don't recall any Stones' recording where a chromatic harmonica is used. However, if there would have been an harmonica part in "Melody", I think a chromatic harmonica would have suited well in there!

He plays a cross harp on the live versions of CYHMK as well, no?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 11, 2014 12:43

Also on this forum has been ascertained that on "Can't You hear Me Knocking" live Mick used to play in 1st position even if the song was in a minor key. It's like playing a C diatonic harmonica in a song in C minor! And you can actually hear that his playing in that tune sounds quite awkward. If he played in let's say third position (i.e. harmonica in dorian mode) he would have sounded much better, I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-11 12:43 by Wild Slivovitz.

Date: March 11, 2014 19:29

always loved the harp on this track

.....keep on rolling.....

Date: March 11, 2014 22:45

Wild Slivovitz
Also on this forum has been ascertained that on "Can't You hear Me Knocking" live Mick used to play in 1st position even if the song was in a minor key. It's like playing a C diatonic harmonica in a song in C minor! And you can actually hear that his playing in that tune sounds quite awkward. If he played in let's say third position (i.e. harmonica in dorian mode) he would have sounded much better, I think.

He has some trouble, playing a couple of notes that don't fit. Apart from that I liked his CYHMK-solos.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home