Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lucinda Williams Live @ The Fillmore (somewhat OT)
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 16, 2005 16:52

Anyone else heard this? Superb blues/country/rock (like we used to get from our guys!). This poor girl has lived it! Great band - similar to Crazy Horse (with a better guitarist - sorry Neil!)

It starts out as a slow burn, with country/bluesey tales of despair and her "world gone wrong". By the time it gets to "Change The Locks" both band and singer lock into a nasty snarl for about the next 10 tracks, peeking with "Real Live Bleeding Fingers" that sounds like something between "Exile" and "Live Rust".

Mick Taylor would be splindid with someone like this! Perfect for his style!

My vote for best album so far in 2005!

Ross

Re: Lucinda Williams Live @ The Fillmore (somewhat OT)
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:11

Ross,

Have heard it, real good disc. She plays just a little bit too much from her most recent studio album for me (not one of my favs), but otherwise top notch stuff. Like, and agree with, your Crazy Horse comparison. I've seen her a couple of times, and she usually includes more than a couple blues covers in her live show.

Lucinda has one of the best voices in rock/country today. Check her "Cold Cold Heart" cover on the Hank Williams tribute disc. Absolutely mesmerizing. Also includes a Keith track.

Karl

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:28

Its an absolutely fantastic album. Bought it last Monday within minutes of it coming out. Ive had the 3 shows its taken from on CDR for quite a while, so knew it'd be good.

I think Lost Highway may have leant on her a bit to include a higher proportion of songs from her albums on that label though, hence the tracklist.

I think she's as cool as @#$%&, too. She's about the only one of my favourite artists who I've still to see in concert and I'll be rectifying that when I'm at her Manchester shows in July.

I liked Elvis Costello's liner notes..."her rock n roll vocal style will shake up any band in a fashion that I can only compare to Keith Richards' guitar playing"

Date: May 16, 2005 17:45

And even more good news..

Her "Live In Austin" DVD comes out Tuesday (May 17)! This is from 1998 and includes a heavy dose of her classic "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road" album.

I agree about the abundance of material from her last album on Fillmore. I can think of so many songs I would have liked to hear this band take a crack at! Ther is almost nothing from "Car Wheels".

Great stuff regardless!

Ross

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 16, 2005 17:57

"Car wheels" is quite possibly my favourite album of the last decade

Date: May 16, 2005 18:22

It just don't get no better, Gazza!

I am actually from the "Greenville" she sings about (Mississippi)! Sometimes I think I should just "go on back".

She is truly amazing.

Ross

Posted by: Tor ()
Date: May 16, 2005 18:23

I'm getting this today!! I've always digged her.
thanks for the info

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 16, 2005 19:11

I was at this show and thought it was great. Her voice inhabits the songs she sings like few other singers I have heard. I had a bootleg of the show months ago though. Good audience recording it is too!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 16, 2005 19:23

On my list of CD's to buy...

Have seen her many times and have many of her studio CD's, met her once, real friendly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home