Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: flubbed start me up intro at Hyde Park (both nights)
Posted by: still ill ()
Date: February 24, 2014 22:59

big4
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
Doxa
Munichhilton
It seems iminently more pressing that Keith has NEVER come close to playing the intro to Can't You Hear Me Knocking properly live...scarf or no scarf...

Now we are talking... That has always bothered me with the live versions of the song, whereas @#$%& up the "Start Me Up" intro occasionally is just refreshing and fun. But the original "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" intro is a total killer, and not just its wonderful sound but the way Keith hits it. Pure, aggressive, dirty bite. The live versions are just so teethless and lame, distant approximations of it - and this goes through the song as far as Keith's riffing is concerned. Sounds like Keith doesn't even try to play it properly. For that reason - when the biggest gun is not interested - the whole song doesn't work until the jam part.

- Doxa

See, someone who gets it. Imminently more pressing then warhorse slaughter...
Mick Jagger's harmonica brings a neat element to the jam portion as well...but Keith has no interest in relearning that incredible and innovative riff...hell he could learn it on YouTube if Chuck can't help him...

He won't ever get it right unless he puts on more distortion, like on the studio version.

The Live Licks version is ok, though.

They're all 'ok' but only because they are acknowledging a long lost artifact of Stones civilization...but its a crime against all Stone-manity for that song to be referred to as 'ok'...

I've also never understood why he plays the intro so clean on-stage, it needs that crunch and distortion to make it the gut punch it is on SF.

Add me to list. It's completely beyond me how after a over a decade of limping through the intro and the mini break he hasn't added some grit to that guitar sound. Not sure he and Charlie have ever locked in on it either, it just muddles along until the instrumental sections. Shame really.

That Start Me Up intro is 100 per cent fine to these ears btw, a pretty strong version all told.

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: February 25, 2014 00:44

to me it looks like his scarf gets caught in the strings>>>>> thus the horrible sound.

Date: February 25, 2014 01:29

rocknola
to me it looks like his scarf gets caught in the strings>>>>> thus the horrible sound.

You were there? In the video we don't see him at all...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 25, 2014 08:09

TheBlockbuster
And he did the same thing in Abu Dhabi...

Are you SERIOUS ?? He HAS to be doing it on purpose in that case. Either that, or the riffmaster needs to adjourn to his basemement room (preferably without the needle & a spoon) and put in a bit of practice time. It's just NOT possible to bollocks that intro up, an imbecile could play that. He must be taking the p**S and doing it deliberately to annoy Brenda ............ ! cool smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-25 15:11 by paulywaul.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 25, 2014 09:42

Either that or he's mimicking a stubborn ignition before really starting Start Me Up. Ever turn the key in the ignition of a car but the engine won't turn over the first couple of tries, then finally it starts up on the third go? There's probably some conceptual art going on there that's cryptic and hard to decipher, like those times he would attach fishing tackle and the like to his hair. I'm sure there's a reason for it at some level.

Date: February 25, 2014 09:45

paulywaul
TheBlockbuster

Are you SERIOUS ?? He HAS to be doing it on purpose in that case. Either that, or the riffmaster needs to adjourn his basemement room (preferably without the needle & a spoon) and put in a bit of practice time. It's just NOT possible to bollocks that intro up, an imbecile could play that. He must be taking the p**S and doing it deliberately to annoy Brenda ............ ! cool smiley

He didn't do it in Abu Dhabi, Pauly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-25 09:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 25, 2014 09:48

Ye evidence, as posted in the videos thread:

Date: February 25, 2014 09:48

DandelionPowderman
paulywaul
TheBlockbuster

Are you SERIOUS ?? He HAS to be doing it on purpose in that case. Either that, or the riffmaster needs to adjourn to his basemement room (preferably without the needle & a spoon) and put in a bit of practice time. It's just NOT possible to bollocks that intro up, an imbecile could play that. He must be taking the p**S and doing it deliberately to annoy Brenda ............ ! cool smiley

Thank heavens for that. I shall however be paying very close attention in Macau on the 9th and Shanghai on the 12th .............. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-25 15:11 by paulywaul.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 25, 2014 09:58

He also didn't do it at the show I saw in Boston on June 14 or in the clip below from the 12th. Nor does it seem to have occurred at Glastonbury, as everyone would have commented. It seems to have been an anomaly unique to the Hyde Park shows, as that's when everyone noticed.

Date: February 25, 2014 10:05

stonehearted
He also didn't do it at the show I saw in Boston on June 14 or in the clip below from the 12th. Nor does it seem to have occurred at Glastonbury, as everyone would have commented. It seems to have been an anomaly unique to the Hyde Park shows, as that's when everyone noticed.

On the BB-tour BS was the encore, and he had the same trouble with that one.

Could be nerves, could be anything...

But the HP-thing was special, mainly becuase he did the mistake on both chord changes in the beginning - on both nights (did he correct it a tad quicker on HP2?). That shouldn't even be technically possible... smiling smiley

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: February 25, 2014 10:28

stonehearted
Either that or he's mimicking a stubborn ignition before really starting Start Me Up. Ever turn the key in the ignition of a car but the engine won't turn over the first couple of tries, then finally it starts up on the third go? There's probably some conceptual art going on there that's cryptic and hard to decipher, like those times he would attach fishing tackle and the like to his hair. I'm sure there's a reason for it at some level.

That's right. Arthritis.

Date: February 25, 2014 10:55

Arthritis can't possibly make it harder to play the SMU-riff than the solos he plays on IORR flawlessly every night confused smiley

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: February 25, 2014 14:48

DandelionPowderman
Irix
TheBlockbuster

Seems so: [instagram.com]

No he didn't! There is nothing wrong with the AD intro confused smiley

This is the "real" deal (at 1:48):

Look at Mick when he comes on. He seems to be shouting something at Charlie before he starts singing. Probably a fourletterword...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 25, 2014 18:14

Ok I got it. The song is in open G. The first chord is a bared 5th fret C. The second chord is an F. He doesn't come down on the 2 and 4 (6th and 8th fret)

He comes down on the 3rd and 5th string instead. He's either thinking open E tunning. That's the was you play a I to IV pattern. Or just maybe his brain is fried and he just can't remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-25 18:20 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: February 25, 2014 18:26

More Hot Rocks
Ok I got it. The song is in open G. The first chord is a bared 5th fret C. The second chord is an F. He doesn't come down on the 2 and 4 (6th and 8th fret)

He comes down on the 3rd and 5th string instead. He's either thinking open E tunning. That's the was you play a I to IV pattern. Or just maybe his brain is fried and he just can't remember.

You have absolutely got it, I've just tuned to open-g and tried it, and that is exactly the sound we all heard at Hyde Park. Mystery solved, the silly Riffmaster ..... fancy gettin' your open-g and open-e muddled up !!!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 25, 2014 20:59

The strangest thing, but he has his hand all ready to play before the open chords before he begins, but when he comes to actually starting he seems to do the the right shape for the 2nd chord, but frets that shape on the wrong strings.

He's played that chord shape millions of times, it's the full on open G cliche chord, very odd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-25 20:59 by His Majesty.

Date: February 25, 2014 21:15

His Majesty
The strangest thing, but he has his hand all ready to play before the open chords before he begins, but when he comes to actually starting he seems to do the the right shape for the 2nd chord, but frets that shape on the wrong strings.

He's played that chord shape millions of times, it's the full on open G cliche chord, very odd.

Maybe the Riffmaster needs to put his specs on these days, so as to make sure he doesn't hit strings 3 & 5 when he's actually intending to hit 2 & 4 !! winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 25, 2014 21:23

paulywaul

Maybe the Riffmaster needs to put his specs on these days, so as to make sure he doesn't hit strings 3 & 5 when he's actually intending to hit 2 & 4 !! winking smiley

He manages just fine any other time, must be nerves and/or over and/or under thinking things.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: February 25, 2014 21:49

Ok. He gets it all wrong. Why does it sound so right on Sweet Summer Sun I wonder?

Date: February 25, 2014 22:41

schwonek
Ok. He gets it all wrong. Why does it sound so right on Sweet Summer Sun I wonder?

Because he played it correctly later in the song. A cut and paste-job...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 25, 2014 22:42

Magic.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 25, 2014 23:07

paulywaul
More Hot Rocks

You have absolutely got it, I've just tuned to open-g and tried it, and that is exactly the sound we all heard at Hyde Park. Mystery solved, the silly Riffmaster ..... fancy gettin' your open-g and open-e muddled up !!!

Yeah you got it More hot Rocks. Good job.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 25, 2014 23:48

sonomastone
was it ever confirmed that keith was doing this on purpose? there's no way he blew it by accident....

Reminds me of a discussion on here during the ABB tour, when Keith's guitar prowess (or lack of it) was taking a bit of a pasting, only for one defiant cheerleader to insist (in complete seriousness) that what our man was actually doing was inventing a radically new way of playing the chords that was so advanced that it was beyond what a mere fan with two ears could possibly comprehend.

Kind of reminded me of the classic Morecambe & Wise sketch with Andre Previn

'I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order...'

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: February 26, 2014 00:19

DandelionPowderman
paulywaul
TheBlockbuster

Are you SERIOUS ?? He HAS to be doing it on purpose in that case. Either that, or the riffmaster needs to adjourn his basemement room (preferably without the needle & a spoon) and put in a bit of practice time. It's just NOT possible to bollocks that intro up, an imbecile could play that. He must be taking the p**S and doing it deliberately to annoy Brenda ............ ! cool smiley

He didn't play the intro the same way as in Hyde Park In Abu Dhabi, but the Abu Dhabi intro is not correct either - which still is embarrassing.

Posted by: SPellegrino ()
Date: February 26, 2014 01:15

Jeesshh... Sound like me learning how to play years ago.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 26, 2014 06:18

That was aweful...yikes...

How come it didn't sound like that on the DVD?

Pecman

Date: February 26, 2014 10:05

DandelionPowderman
Arthritis can't possibly make it harder to play the SMU-riff than the solos he plays on IORR flawlessly every night confused smiley

Aren't you a guitarist?
Please don't tell me you don't hear his playing is diminished at least 80% over the last 25 years? If he manages a 50% approximation of the intro everyone's happy then they carry him for the rest of the song.

Date: February 26, 2014 10:10

vertigojoe
DandelionPowderman

Aren't you a guitarist?
Please don't tell me you don't hear his playing is diminished at least 80% over the last 25 years? If he manages a 50% approximation of the intro everyone's happy then they carry him for the rest of the song.

Of course it has diminished.

My point was that he plays way more difficult stuff effortlessly in other songs in the set - hence it probably hasn't got anything to do with his skills - but more like he needs to warm up his muscles/needs rest etc.

One More Shot has the same opening chords. SFM as well. I haven't heard him fvck up these intros...

And on this tour the BS-intros have been close to perfection grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 10:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 26, 2014 10:16

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
paulywaul
TheBlockbuster

He didn't play the intro the same way as in Hyde Park In Abu Dhabi, but the Abu Dhabi intro is not correct either - which still is embarrassing.

It's not embarrassing at all that the b-string isn't ringing as loud as it should be for half a second. In the context of the Stones, it's a minor thing. They probably have 15 bigger mistakes than that to worry about during a show.

It's more worrying that Mick sings GS totally off key throughout the whole song, imo.

Even on 1972 shows there are bigger mistakes than the first F-chord in SMU from Abu Dhabi.

Date: February 26, 2014 10:24

DandelionPowderman
vertigojoe
DandelionPowderman

Aren't you a guitarist?

Of course it has diminished.

My point was that he plays way more difficult stuff effortlessly in other songs in the set - hence it probably hasn't got anything to do with his skills - but more like he needs to warm up his muscles/needs rest etc.

One More Shot has the same opening chords. SFM as well. I haven't heard him fvck up these intros...

And on this tour the BS-intros have been close to perfection grinning smiley

Good point well made.
I think Keef's problem is that he has taken everybody for granted, band, fans, you name it, since about 1969. He can't give Bill Wyman any credit cos in his eyes the genius of the Stones is all down to him. He disses Mick cos the genius of the Stones is down to him. He still plays the solo to SFTD cos everybody wants to hear him doing it. (They don't). He is the complete and supreme narcissist. He could have had a decent solo career post WW3 but saw the future as small independent record labels and playing to 3000 people every night, he professes to love playing the small theatres but no way his ego could handle the diminishing returns that is the fate of 99.99999% of pop stars. So he stays in the gilded cage, puts absolutely no effort or pride into his music for about 20 years now and what we get is that intro at Hyde Park. It's Mick Jagger I feel sorry for. And I didn't used to, I used to be a Keef nut but I just feel so betrayed by him now. My fault for building him up, absolutely, but I know damn sure I'm not the only one on here who feels like this. Peace..

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home