Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Video: Let It Rock, 1978, Chicago...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 21, 2014 07:52

If it's been here before, sorry about that. I can't remember if I've seen it or not. Only one song, unfortunately, but pretty good quality for what it is.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Video: Let It Rock, 1978, Chicago...
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 21, 2014 08:02

Thanks, I've never seen that either. The same YouTube user has a lot of other interesting videos: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 21, 2014 08:14

An excellent song.

Date: February 21, 2014 09:23

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 21, 2014 09:36

What a pathetic stage....they all three seems very uncomfortable on it....

2 1 2 0

Date: February 21, 2014 10:00

Stadium concerts weren't that common at the time, and the Stones only did a few of them on this tour - hence probably the "half-baked" stage..

Date: February 21, 2014 10:29

Thank you very much!

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 21, 2014 12:06

I was at one of those stadium shows, Thery were events. The problem was that the technology wasn't up to the challenge. More than the lack of large screen video or pyrotechnics, the sound was horrible. Still half the people in the audience were probably too intoxicated to notice or care , it was after all, still the 70's

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: February 21, 2014 14:30

kahoosier
I was at one of those stadium shows, Thery were events. The problem was that the technology wasn't up to the challenge. More than the lack of large screen video or pyrotechnics, the sound was horrible. Still half the people in the audience were probably too intoxicated to notice or care , it was after all, still the 70's

You are correct on all counts. I was at buffalo, July 4, that year. Wasn't fortunate (or determined?) enough to get up front. Sight and sound were awful. Performance was, too.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 21, 2014 15:19

These early big stadium stages in the 70's were often quite dangerous.Many slipped or fell down.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 21, 2014 15:21

And then.... there was Cleveland.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 21, 2014 19:24

There were lots of ups and downs on the 1978 tour, the difference between the ups and the downs was more dramatic than on any other RS tour. The worst concerts of the tour; Oakland, 1st Anaheim, Cleveland, Buffalo, Philadelphia were all stadium shows. The only stadium shows of 1978 that were excellent was Chicago, 2nd Anaheim, New Orleans (indoor stadium) and Boulder.
None of the indoor shows "sucked".....they all ranged from pretty good to terrific.
So obviously the big shows was a problem to Rolling Stones' playing in 1978.

They didn't actually find a solution to that problem. The big money was much more important, so they didn't mind sucking in the 90s and 2000s. Can't blame it all on the venues, though, but some of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-21 19:33 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 21, 2014 20:45

One memory that comes back about these shows to me...even in 1981 was that they were well into a song before you caught an idea of what song it was...usually your ears adjusted to the sound and the sound man dialed it in better so by the 5th song or so it was decent enough...thank goodness for the bootlegs that prooved I saw some good damn shows

Even 1989 in LA I was down in front on Keith's side it was tough to place Bitch until the vocals

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 21, 2014 22:11

Man I wish I could have been there...but maybe a little closer up than that guy was.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 21, 2014 22:57

Weird that the video guy shot that on the side I sat and almost the exact angle I saw the stage. God it was hot at Soldier Field. All in all a good day though with decent backing bands to boot, and a strong show from the boys.

Posted by: vincentwhirlwind ()
Date: February 22, 2014 02:45

I was at both show's in Anaheim Ca. Both were great shows Jagger was all over the stage , even up on the scaffolding! It was just the Stones on stage and they sounded great!

Date: February 22, 2014 03:20

The first Anaheim show and the Oakland show are better than you think. And I have a soft spot for the Philadelphia JFK boot. I just do. Cleveland? Well...
Is there a tape of the Boulder show? I've never heard that one.

It's also worth repeating what an earlier post said. BAck in the 70s and probably the 80s, too, outdoor gigs were an event to go to, and the sound was rarely good. If you ask most people who went to an outdoor stadium gig back then, they'll usually start off with "Oh, man, I was so wasted that day," or "Man, I was so high that day." That was the 70s.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 22, 2014 04:31

I was there! I saw it!

Date: February 22, 2014 04:48

Come On

I think that's a terrific-looking stage. The one at Anaheim and the Superdome seemed to have longer ramps on the sides, though.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 22, 2014 05:25

1978 big stadium shows were a event. Not just a concert.
Every tv, radio in the city covered it.

The Stones did it better then anyone. Funny no one ever talked about
how clear it sounded. We were either too drunk, stoned or happy to care.
it was a party...Mostly young fans...All digging the EVENT!

Thanks for posting. I wasn't there. I was at Philly. But look at the
crowd. .Sadly you dont see that kind of excitement anymore.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 22, 2014 05:32

Theres actually four songs in the circulating film of this show. I seem to recall its from NBC raw news footage.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: February 22, 2014 06:01

Come On

Well, come on, Come On: how about a little context to your assertion that it's a pathetic stage. It's 1978. It was damn site better than Zeppelin's few 1977 outdoor stadium stages, and a LOT better than the Stones own 1975 outdoor stadium stage. Geez...you can't compare this 1978 stadium stage to the outdoor stadium stages that the Stones themselves were instrumental in creating Steel Wheels and later.

Date: February 22, 2014 06:07

rocker1
Come On

Well, come on, Come On: how about a little context to your assertion that it's a pathetic stage. It's 1978. It was damn site better than Zeppelin's few 1977 outdoor stadium stages, and a LOT better than the Stones own 1975 outdoor stadium stage. Geez...you can't compare this 1978 stadium stage to the outdoor stadium stages that the Stones themselves were instrumental in creating Steel Wheels and later.

The year before, Zeppelin had the Stonehenge stage at Oakland. NOW let's start comparing stages. To be fair, I don't think that was Zep's idea, more like Bill Graham's and his people.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: February 22, 2014 06:23

tomk
rocker1
Come On

The year before, Zeppelin had the Stonehenge stage at Oakland. NOW let's start comparing stages. To be fair, I don't think that was Zep's idea, more like Bill Graham's and his people.

That's exactly the Spinal Tap-ish stage I was referring to, and I think the Stones' Tongue stage in '78 was actually better than LZ concept from the year before.

Not trying to be argumentative at all, but just trying to clear up what you are actually saying! I agree fully that was probably a Bill Graham creation and LZ probably just showed up that day at Oakland and said "oh, somebody built us a stage. Whatever...let's go rock." For the record, I LOVE Zep's peformances, for the most part, in '77. Might be my favorite LZ tour because of the wonderfully LOUD sloppiness that still had a grooove.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-22 06:34 by rocker1.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 22, 2014 06:44

As you can see, a terrible opening song. A hot daytime show. I was at the Buffalo show in 78 on July 4th. The problem with the daytime show is that people were partying hard back then packed like sardines in the early hot July sun. Yeah it was stinky on the floor.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 22, 2014 13:03

i would still take a time machine and go to Anaheim or Buffalo-1978 more than yesterdays show in dabu dabi or whatever smiling smiley

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: February 22, 2014 18:09

That Chicago show was my first Stones concert. I didn't remember how small the stage was. At least from that clip, it didn't look like there were any ramps on the sides of the main stage.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: February 22, 2014 18:14

Makes me miss Stu so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-23 02:24 by jazzbass.

Posted by: Rockfield78 ()
Date: February 22, 2014 19:26

I was there. EPIC afternoon, I remember they blew the intro to Let it Rock, could only hear piano and vocals, didn't hear guitars til the break, still, my buddy and I were probably the only people who recognized it.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 24, 2014 21:12

Rockfield78, you are correct. The mix was off right in the beginning, but then it got progressively better. More often that not the opening song would have mixing board issues that would eventually get resolved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home