Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is Mick Jagger the greatest Rock Vocalist ever?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 14, 2005 19:16

He/she is definetly the greatest performer, frontman, androgynous Rockanimal ever.
I sometimes think that Jagger himself underestimates himself as a plain singer. That is until I see footage of him recording at the mike. Since the early days (e.g. the final take of Sympathy in the Godard movie) to the film "Being Mick" where we see Jagger recording a lot, Jagger takes those takes very seriously. I know some vocalists who make a point of surrounding themselves with as much of a Live atmosphere as possible. In other words to sing from a "rock;n roll" setting in order to deliver the vibe. The famous photo of Jagger and Keith in the cover of Exile is the epidemy of singing right from the eye of the hurricane. But mostly it appears Jagger deosn't need this, actually prefers to not have it around, in order to concentrate and deliver a powerful performance. The swagger and cocky attitude that is all Jagger seems to cxome naturally. Other people might need dope, booze and chicas to project it. Jagger just needs Jagger. So Jagger rightfully deserves his slot at the top of the heap. "Moonlight Mile", "Let it Loose", "Winter", "You can't always get what you want" are all tour de forces. But it is the loud fast rockers where he is absolutely untouchable IMHO. "Gimme Shelter" is goosebumps, no? "Rocks Off" and "Stray Cat Blues", "Bitch", all incredible. Songs like "Jiving Sister Fanny", I'm Going Down", "@#$%&", "When the Whip comes down" are songs that all others try to imitate or emulate but just can't. It's the vocal eqivalent of keith's deceptively simple riffs that have anchored the Rambler, JJf and Start me Up. Or Charlie's "simple" drumming. Or even Bill Wyman's "basic" bassplaying.

So who are the great vocalists? And what makes a great vocalist? Just straight biology of vocal chords or interpretation? To me Lou Reed is a superb Rock vocalist. Speaks to me much more than someone like Ian Gillan e.g.
When interpretation and chops converge it is bliss. Jioh Lennon, Jeff Buckley, even Todd Rundgren although his music might leave me wanting sometimes. I love Greg Allman and John Fogerty too because they sing like real men LOL "Win Lose or Draw" or "Born on the Bayou" tear it up.

Re: Is Mick Jagger the greatest Rock Vocalist ever?
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 14, 2005 19:27

I agree with you completely ChelseaDrugstore although i wouldn't call Mick the best rock vocalist at this period in his career.Being the best vocalist isn't all about range as Lou Reed in particular isn't blessed with that but it's all about conveying emotions effectively.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 14, 2005 20:25

Good post ChelseaDrugstore. I think Mick is one of the greats. How many people have covered 'Satisfaction' (Mick's first masterpiece as a vocalist), and covered it well? The only one that come's to mind for me is Otis Redding. Yes, he covered it but does he out sing Jagger on that tune? I don't think anybody could match the recorded version of that song. I often use this song as an example when I'm having a Beatles/Stones discussing with someone. Could John or Paul out sing jagger on this? He's not only one of the greats but he has been vastly underrated IMHO. Having said that, I don't think he's a great singer in the 'classic' sense of the term, (vocal range, control etc,.),but, he brings something to the table that few can match, guts, feeling, intense involement in what he's doing. And that's what works for Rock 'n' roll and blues. And country for that matter. All areas that The Stones have capitalized on.

My other personal fav for rock 'n' roll has alway's been Mitch Ryder. When he was in his prime is sang like a primal animal. If you can find it, check out his recording with 'Detroit' from '72'. I saw him live on that tour (for $3!) and he completely blew me away. I don't think I've ever seen a singer, (including Mick), who was more possessed by their music.

These guys are both white though, singing like black men. (And in as much, did they transform the art form?) And/or does it make any difference? Who ARE the GREAT 'black' rock 'n' roll vocalists? (Little Richard?) Are white people the best rock 'n' roll singers? Another thread perhaps.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Re: Mick Jagger: an Inimitable Vocalist
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 14, 2005 21:09

smile: i love the compliment that Merry Clayton paid his splendid voice the first time she met him. she said: "why, i thought you were a man! but you're just a skinny little boy!"

what *is* it about that skinny little English cat's voice? the sheer lungpower, the glorious raunchiness, the seemingly total lack of inhibition about pouring out all that hollering and groaning and panting and carrying on - "possessed by the music" is a great way to put it; or as some reviewer wrote about R&R Circus: "the music snakes out, seizes Jagger by the ankle and drags him under." primo!

two aspects of Mick's vocals that i consider way underappreciated, or anyway don't hear anyone remark on much, are:
~ his great gift for using his voice as a rhythm instrument; and
~ his great gift for singing with an audible lungful of dope - or sounding like he is, whichever comes first. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-14 21:11 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 14, 2005 23:02

Yes.

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: May 15, 2005 01:53

Very good post. Right: Mick cannot be copied. That´s why I hate all Mick coverband singers. They just don´t get it.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: May 15, 2005 02:11

Great thread. Totally agree, Mick may not be the finest 'singer' but he is the ultimate rock vocalist. with sssoul is spot on about the gift for using his voice as a rhythm instrument - just think of Stray cat Blues or Live With Me for example.

The thing about him not needing others around to deliver but finding it in himself is a good point too. I've always semi-seriously suggested that he does possess shamanic powers: I'm usually thinking of his unparallelled power over live audiences but why not also at the level of personal inspiration. SFTD did suggest to me that he was capable of tapping into something primal, something OUT THERE. The intensity of his performance in songs like Monkey Man and Gimme Shelter and the incantatory quality he gives them makes you wonder.

Also there is or was something uniquely powerful and mesmerising about his dancing at it's best which is when he is "possessed by the music". The absolute conviction of these moments (put aside the self-parodic, campy or contrived parts) reminds me of trance-induced Haitian voodoo rituals where the dancers are not only free of any inhibition but in direct communication with other worlds. It's not just me who thinks Jagger possesses powers beyond the natural: check out these words from his old flame Marianne Faithfull in her autobiography:
"As Mick danced, an extraordinary change came over him. It was as if he were unwinding himself like a mummy shedding layers of wrapping, revealing, at the core of this suburban English boy's body, a many-armed blue-headed dancing god. The macrocosmic Mick. I was seeing Mick, the brainbell jongleur, the real Mick, if there is such a thing. The dance was very, very fast, practically on one spot. He was starting to vibrate so much that his body was breaking up into molecules. Shimmering phosphorescent particles. I was completely transfixed, hardly breathing. As he moved his hands in stroboscopic flutters, they multiplied and fanned out, overlapping each other. The transformation was incredible. He had become Shiva. I hadn't realised it until then that I was living with somebody who at odd moments could turn into a god."

Can't imagine anyone writing this about Robbie or George Michael!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 15, 2005 02:33

Have a listen to Little Queenie from the 1961 Little Boy Blue jam and tell me how a kid from Dartford knew how to sing like that...even at that age he had sex dribbling from his vocal delivery.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 15, 2005 03:13

i'd say he's neck and neck with Bon Scott

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 15, 2005 03:33

All I have to say is this... if Mick Jagger does a Burger King commercial like that jackass Darius Rucker of Hootie and the Blowfish..I will need to be shot out of my misery...Hell, i can't even listen to a once liked "hootie" song without choking ...

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 15, 2005 06:10

Bon Scott certainly was the man. I would say "rock vocalist" Jagger is way up there. I hate to say it b/c I hate the band...but Freddy Mercury was a pretty damn good rock singer. Lou Reed is WAYY up there....Gregg Allman, Little Richard, Patti Smith...believe it or not...Danny Elfman. Not many can really sing the rock songs great & belt em out with a drop of venom when they need to.

Everyone will say I am crazy, but Dylan is a great vocalist...for his songs...but not "rock" per se'.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 15, 2005 09:12

I'd say Jagger is the best performer/rock singer of them all...no doubt.

There's also:

Robert Plant
Ian Gillian
Jim Morrison

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 15, 2005 17:39

>Is Mick Jagger the greatest Rock Vocalist ever?

Yes, definitely.

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: May 15, 2005 19:06

No he's not! But, Mick is a better performer, and has more gimmicks, Freddy Mercury has/had the BEST voice, natural, Jim Morrison comes second as far as "voices" go, for rock stars then I would say, Mick "voicewise," is third.

But performance wise, not voice, Mick is the better showman.

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-15 19:19 by LISMM63.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: May 16, 2005 04:46

mick by a landslide,elton 2nd.

john scialfa

Posted by: johang ()
Date: May 16, 2005 06:51

He is good but not a good singer, without the Stones he would be nowhere.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 16, 2005 08:23

>Freddy Mercury has/had the BEST
> voice, natural, Jim Morrison comes second as far
> as "voices" go, for rock stars then I would say,
> Mick "voicewise," is third.

Also look at hardrock/HM singers, eg Ronnie James Dio has a very good voice.

- Koen.

Posted by: Eilert ()
Date: May 16, 2005 12:24

Actually Mick isn't that interesting live anymore. He doesn't put it on the line like he used to. He used to have and deliver a great voice and he is a great showman, but today it seems that he is saving himself. Maybe it is because he is getting old, but hey saving yourself is not rock n' roll.

Great vocalists through the years:

Robert Plant

Rod Stewart

W. Axl Rose

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 16, 2005 14:13

He's definitely #1. No other rock vocalist can turn songs around like Mick. He can take on nearly every musical genre in an honest way. Blues, Rock & Roll, Soul, Country, Funk... he does them all.
I don't think Freddie Mercury could sing country, blues, ... But hey, Freddie was great at what he did.

My top 5 of Rock Vocalists would be:

1. Mick Jagger
2. Steve Winwood
3. Steven Tyler
4. Robert Plant
5. Roger Daltrey
(6. Rod Stewart)

Only talking about rock... including the old time great soul monuments is impossible.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 16, 2005 14:14

"He is good but not a good singer, without the Stones he would be nowhere."(johang above)

Which of course could be said about anyone in the Stones including Taylor & Brian & Stu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-16 15:23 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:21

In terms of "vox"...Robert Plant is pretty tough to top...

but as a "frontman"...it's no contest.....Mick, Mick, Mick....

I always thought Axl Rose had great potential in both departments ("vox" and "frontman").....but, alas....is there anything more saddening than wasted talent?

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:34

A drummer friend and I were talking the other day about some of the most embarrassing moments in Rock. And we agreed that the performance of Axl Rose with the "new" Guns and Roses (w/Buckethead etc) at the MTV Show was right up there. That was truly awful. Speaking of wasted talent.
Speaking of sadly lost talent. Do you guys listen to Jeff Buckley. Never have I heard a voice effortlessly soar like this. A nightingale. Just amazing. What is about genius that is almost touched by the heavens and early untimely death? Hendrix, Jones, Stevie ray, Buckley, Mozart, Holiday,Joplin,...

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:50

yes....Axl's performance at the MTV show was one of the most wretched things to watch ever....Botox injections, faltering vocal chords, inability to hit the high notes, hair-extensions....

and NO F'N SLASH!!

"cuz it's SAD, SAD, SAD".....well...at least he stood up there and sucked all on his own....CLEARLY no voice overdubs or lip-synching there (if it was...he needs to get some better recordings to fake-sing to)....so, it's not AS BAD as Milli Vanilla or that Simpson girl....UGH....but, that's not Rn'R anyway...teenage cheese is more like it....whatever

speaking of Slash....I saw Velvet Revolver last night....he still RULES the fret-board....

OH YEAH!!

and Scott Weiland is a MADMAN!!!

great band...worth seeing live....

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 16, 2005 15:53

Amazing that you, CD, who are mentioning Billie Holiday & Janis; were one of the two (the other was the genious Maverick) that questioned the posting of the piece of news on the recently (the night before) deceased, legendary female vocalist Monica Zetterlund, maybe the world´s most prominent singer in the 'Billie Holiday-school'. She lived almost like Garbo during her last years & didnt gave an interviews after years 2000... Was it the American citizenship that lacked her, not to qualify within your interest frame? I think some of you US people (not at all aiming at all of you) have to climb down from your high horses & ethnocentristic points of view. Steve Ray has since long been one of my favorites, but is nothing compared to Monica, even with an international perspective.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1766
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home