Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Silver Train
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 17, 2014 22:47

Doxa
The song will be soon in Rene's Talks, so I hope you guys don't waste all your bullets here...

- Doxa

Hey, cool head now Doxa...........this is the biggest thread I've ever had............grinning smiley.............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 22:47 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 17, 2014 23:04

grinning smiley Sorry, I didn't mean to spoil your thread, Eddie, but more worried about what happen to Rene's soon... Of course, the track is red hot now, so go on, ladies and gents, don't mind me....thumbs up

Actually, perhaps it is good to release all the biggest judging sentiments here, so the discussion will be more cool-headed later...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 18, 2014 00:15

Doxa
grinning smiley Sorry, I didn't mean to spoil your thread, Eddie, but more worried about what happen to Rene's soon... Of course, the track is red hot now, so go on, ladies and gents, don't mind me....thumbs up

Actually, perhaps it is good to release all the biggest judging sentiments here, so the discussion will be more cool-headed later...grinning smiley

- Doxa

That's ok...smileys with beer .......the irony is that bv started it for me by moving the MT video out of the rehearsals thread .....confused smiley...oh well, can't win them all.

You're right though, it should be a talking point for a while especially if it stays in the setlist...can't wait myself..drinking smiley smoking smiley drinking smiley .....better than yet another rendition of Bitch or Live with me....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-18 00:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: February 18, 2014 00:27

Is silver train part of the set list as a homage to the Japanese silver train ?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 18, 2014 02:39

Mathijs
rollmops
May be a case can be made to defense Silver Train; Mick and keith must have thought that the song was solid enough to offer it to Johnny Winter. You don't write songs for others and give it to them if you don'y think it's a good song. And Johnny took it and covered it pretty close to the stones 's version which tells us that Johnny Winter must have thought that the song was great as it was.
Rock and roll,
Mops

You can also turn this around: they had this song already from 1969 on, and never got around releasing it as they had so much better material. Winter liked it, thought he could make it his own from a slide perspective, and Jagger/Richards didn't mind giving it to him. They did not intend to release it themselves. Then it was 1973, and GHS needed some rockers, and this was all they had on a short notice.

Mathijs

Ok. But if they don't care about it why to bring it up now in 2014? They have dozaines of others songs. I respect your view on that song, no hard feelings. I just like Silver Train a lot. And I do believe that the stones like it too.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 18, 2014 03:01

Always loved this track----- the Stones nailed it ! Also dug Johnny Winters version of it off his "Still Alive and Well" disc from 1975

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 18, 2014 03:31

I can't help but like this one. Its a good rocker, its catchy and it has that cool GHS vibe.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 18, 2014 11:26

rollmops
Mathijs
rollmops
May be a case can be made to defense Silver Train; Mick and keith must have thought that the song was solid enough to offer it to Johnny Winter. You don't write songs for others and give it to them if you don'y think it's a good song. And Johnny took it and covered it pretty close to the stones 's version which tells us that Johnny Winter must have thought that the song was great as it was.
Rock and roll,
Mops

You can also turn this around: they had this song already from 1969 on, and never got around releasing it as they had so much better material. Winter liked it, thought he could make it his own from a slide perspective, and Jagger/Richards didn't mind giving it to him. They did not intend to release it themselves. Then it was 1973, and GHS needed some rockers, and this was all they had on a short notice.

Mathijs

Ok. But if they don't care about it why to bring it up now in 2014? They have dozaines of others songs. I respect your view on that song, no hard feelings. I just like Silver Train a lot. And I do believe that the stones like it too.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Why they bring it up now? There's hardly a song left that they haven't played live by now! If they tour for another year they probably do Gomper...

Mathijs

Date: February 18, 2014 11:48

Well, they could consider doing Citadel, Child Of The Moon, Flight 505, Hey Negrita, Lies, Tie You Up and others, though.

They got a vast catalogue, but they need to play them well enough, and I think that may be a point here. Some of the songs were long edited jams, and they don't remember anything of them - I don't know...

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: February 18, 2014 11:48

Mathijs
rollmops
Mathijs
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Mathijs

Rock and roll,
Mops

Why they bring it up now? There's hardly a song left that they haven't played live by now! If they tour for another year they probably do Gomper...

Mathijs
I've always liked the simple open G riff the song is built around, but it's Taylor's slide that I love most about this track.
Maybe that's why? Someone in the band feels the same? I don't really know.

Date: February 18, 2014 11:53

souldoggie
Mathijs
rollmops
Mathijs
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

Mathijs

Rock and roll,
Mops

Mathijs
I've always liked the simple open G riff the song is built around, but it's Taylor's slide that I love most about this track.
Maybe that's why? Someone in the band feels the same? I don't really know.

That, and Mick's harp, are the only good stuff on the track, imo.

The, already by then, recycled Keith-riff doesn't do anything for me.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home