Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Silver Train
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 15, 2014 03:30

carlorossi
My two cents: Love the idea of Taylor on Slipping Away, could make for a very tasteful break. Song seems to fit his style. I'm excited about it, as it's one he actually has to learn and rehearse. As for Silver Train, it never grabbed me and I don't like the production on the studio version, but it seems like one of those songs they could really bash out, especially w/Taylor on board. Looking forward to both.

Here's Mick Taylor and Carla Olson's version..........

Silver Train.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-15 11:26 by bv.

Re: Rolling Stones Paris Rehearsals February 2014 - 14 On Fire
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: February 15, 2014 04:29

EddieByword

Silver Train.........

As I recall, Silver Train never became a fixture in the Stones' setlist back in the day because they decided it was too similar to All Down The Line: not that I've anything against the latter song, but I'm really looking forward to hearing Silver Train instead (I presume they won't do both).

Beyond that no-one really needs to hear ADTL yet again, Silver Train is great fun lyrically and musically, and as far as Taylor is concerned it's an excellent showcase for the more economical side of his playing - that is, what he can do within the confines of a standard song structure, as opposed to a loose blues jam (Midnight Rambler) or a big, climactic outro solo (Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking). Much like Slipping Away, in fact, it represents a definite development of his role in the band: more integrated with the others, less focused on showcase guitar solos, and not just there to play on the obvious songs.

Date: February 15, 2014 04:56

Stoneburst
EddieByword

Silver Train.........

As I recall, Silver Train never became a fixture in the Stones' setlist back in the day because they decided it was too similar to All Down The Line: not that I've anything against the latter song, but I'm really looking forward to hearing Silver Train instead (I presume they won't do both).

Beyond that no-one really needs to hear ADTL yet again, Silver Train is great fun lyrically and musically, and as far as Taylor is concerned it's an excellent showcase for the more economical side of his playing - that is, what he can do within the confines of a standard song structure, as opposed to a loose blues jam (Midnight Rambler) or a big, climactic outro solo (Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking). Much like Slipping Away, in fact, it represents a definite development of his role in the band: more integrated with the others, less focused on showcase guitar solos, and not just there to play on the obvious songs.

Sounds like it might have made/make a decent medley........"watching out for trouble, yeah! and then Lisa and Bernard come in with "But I did not know her name..........and change..

Re: Silver Train
Date: February 15, 2014 13:37

Great song............someone should start a thread about it..............smoking smiley

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 15, 2014 13:53

Great song.... Not necessary to have MT on it , but nice

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 15, 2014 17:29

This song is such a rocker and I could see both Ronnie and Mick Taylor taking solos on it. Version by Johnny Winter always stood out for me and wondered why The Stones didn't play it more.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 15, 2014 17:36

yes this song deserves to be played cos it's a typical Stones kicker

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 15, 2014 21:41

GOO

Absolutely necessary.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:02

71Tele
GOO

Absolutely necessary.

Agreed. Some people are under the illusion that MT is only a "kick out the solos" machine, when I'd love just as much to hear those songs that he adds little touches to live. Slipping Away? Sure, let's see what happens.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:08

Can't find it on You Tube but I just heard a Johnny Winter version from '73 where it's mostly just him showing a rhythm section how to play it. Date is 8/10/73 in San Francisco and it's credited to Johnny Winter and Black Kangaroo. They also run through Let It Bleed. Anyone heard those? They're on a Johnny boot cd called Albino Kangaroo.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:24

GOO

Correct. It will be chunkier and have more pump with Woody.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:27

Silver Train is nothing more than an outtake.

Mathijs

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:42

And there were many more to follow, compared to ST's standard.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:48

Mathijs

Mathijs

On the contrary, it's a great rock 'n' roll song.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:53

Stoneburst

Beyond that no-one really needs to hear ADTL yet again,

I wonder where my harmless comment on this disappeared to? confused smiley It's not like I didn't also say that Silver Train is great.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:56

Mathijs

Mathijs

A very good one then... winking smiley

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 15, 2014 23:57

andrewm
Mathijs

Mathijs

Outtake hell no, it's track number 6 on the Goats Head Soup CD. Kidding aside I don't see how you can call it an outtake when it's one of the 3 rockers on that album.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 16, 2014 00:12

mighty stork
andrewm
Mathijs

Mathijs

Outtake hell no, it's track number 6 on the Goats Head Soup CD. Kidding aside I don't see how you can call it an outtake when it's one of the 3 rockers on that album.

Doesn't it say it all about the album then?

Mathijs

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 16, 2014 01:17

Mathijs
mighty stork
andrewm
Mathijs

Mathijs

Doesn't it say it all about the album then?

Mathijs

Of course not.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: February 16, 2014 01:59

Great song, with a soaring slide part by Mick Taylor on Goats Head Soup. Could there have been better somgs on Goats Head Soup? Of course. The outtakes from this album are really good.

The biggest problem with Goats Head Soup imho is the mix. I still wonder if there is an altenative Jimmy Miller mix for the whole album (or for most of the songs) As I think this will be superiour to the mix as is on the album.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: February 16, 2014 02:59

Mathijs

Mathijs

Sorry Mathijs, but this is bullsh... A lovely little, sliding Rocker it is ... and in this categorie: a real stones/rock classic!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: February 16, 2014 05:48

barbabang
Great song, with a soaring slide part by Mick Taylor on Goats Head Soup. Could there have been better somgs on Goats Head Soup? Of course. The outtakes from this album are really good.

The biggest problem with Goats Head Soup imho is the mix. I still wonder if there is an altenative Jimmy Miller mix for the whole album (or for most of the songs) As I think this will be superiour to the mix as is on the album.

Seek out the alternate mix of Silver Train. I've got it on the First Decade box set. The album version is kind of like a neutered, dry mix, while the other has Mick really singing like he means it and a nice, muddy Exile sound to it.

Posted by: uncleson ()
Date: February 16, 2014 06:35

Would love to hear Silver Train live! Great song

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 16, 2014 17:03

Great track. Loved it upon its release and it's never lost its charm for me. Not sure how it'll hold up as a live track these days, but you never know, they surprised me with their tightness at Hyde Park which I enjoyed more than I had anticipated.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: February 16, 2014 17:23

Carster
Silver Train: Five collectible versions (full-time collectors only)

(I should know). Who wants to shine?

Five only?
I get seven.

Date: February 16, 2014 17:45

Mick Taylor plays a wonderful slide guitar on Silver Train. At least, he makes a wonderful sound. The notes aren´t really ground-breaking smiling smiley

But that alone doesn´t make it a great song. It´s repetitive, without anything really exciting happening.imo.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 16, 2014 19:06

Mathijs

Mathijs

This is nonsensical on its face. Being on an official album means it was anything but an outtake.Also, videos usually aren't made for outtakes. Whatever you think of the merits of the song, it certainly was not an outtake.

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: February 16, 2014 19:28

I'd have to say that Silver Train is not one of their better songs. Always sounded like a variation of All Down The Line with really poor lyrics. Love the riff - though the recording / mixing lacks the energy of ADTL; but its the lyrics that ruins the song for me. I can see where it could be considered an outtake.

Date: February 16, 2014 19:33

DandelionPowderman
Mick Taylor plays a wonderful slide guitar on Silver Train. At least, he makes a wonderful sound. The notes aren´t really ground-breaking smiling smiley

But that alone doesn´t make it a great song. It´s repetitive, without anything really exciting happening.imo.

Rail road blues......(HST)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-16 19:37 by EddieByword.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: February 16, 2014 19:45

Mathijs

Mathijs

I'll go out on limb here and say that it is highly improbable that The Stones would choose to produce an official promotional video of an outtake

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2111
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home