Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Song that Jagger Cannot Sing Live
Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: February 8, 2014 09:12

Over the years there have been many songs taken from the band's past and revived on stage, some have lasted onlky for a tour (Play with Fire, Monkey Man), some have come back and become a steady part of the set list (Paint it Black in 1989). But there is one song, actually a musical sequel to Paint it Black, that was never touched again by the Stones live, after having played it live shortly in 66: Mother' s Little Helper. I believe it could well be a nini hit because of its musical power that Ron would be able to deliver well as he did with Paint it Black and add something to the live set. So why don't they play it live? I believe the problem rest solely on the opening line: "What a drag it is getting old", which Jagger doesn't feel like singing, maybe scared that some newspaper/tv reports cxould use it as headline and therefore cause bad publicity to the whole band. Hope they'd be able to go over that fear.

Re: The Song that Jagger Cannot Sing Live
Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: February 8, 2014 09:31

I've always thought it would be a great opener due to that opening line. As for Mick being afraid of it, pure speculation.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 8, 2014 09:35

Cannot sing? Or is deathly afraid of singing?

Regarding this fear, I think you're putting thoughts into his head.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 8, 2014 12:07

I always thought it would be realy great if they play that song! They never do, but Jagger did at his solo gig to promote his Wandering Spirit album in 1993.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 8, 2014 12:52

GJV
I always thought it would be realy great if they play that song! They never do, but Jagger did at his solo gig to promote his Wandering Spirit album in 1993.

I think it was "Have you seen your mother..."

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: February 8, 2014 13:54

riccardo99
Over the years there have been many songs taken from the band's past and revived on stage, some have lasted onlky for a tour (Play with Fire, Monkey Man), some have come back and become a steady part of the set list (Paint it Black in 1989). But there is one song, actually a musical sequel to Paint it Black, that was never touched again by the Stones live, after having played it live shortly in 66: Mother' s Little Helper. I believe it could well be a nini hit because of its musical power that Ron would be able to deliver well as he did with Paint it Black and add something to the live set. So why don't they play it live? I believe the problem rest solely on the opening line: "What a drag it is getting old", which Jagger doesn't feel like singing, maybe scared that some newspaper/tv reports cxould use it as headline and therefore cause bad publicity to the whole band. Hope they'd be able to go over that fear.

It's absolutely one of their best songs from the 60's so I also wonder why they haven't played it live... It's really the only great traditional type of SONG they haven't played live as for their original songs. Maybe the lyrics are the issue here...

Date: February 8, 2014 13:58

riccardo99

Monkey Man: 1994, 1995, 2002, 2003 and 2007. And it was always delivered brilliantly!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 8, 2014 14:45

eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Date: February 8, 2014 15:31

IAW Ricardo that he will never sing it because of that opening line. It is also a line that is essential to the song, so it can't really be dropped.
I thought it was going to be a thread on which song do we think Jagger can't sing live. My vote would surely go to "Rocks Off'. One of the greatest song in the Stones canon, but it comes off so bad live. Mainly because Jagger can not decide which way to go with it. In studio the main vocal is actually far down register-wise, and that won't project on stage. I have never understood why they dont change the key for that song.

Date: February 8, 2014 15:34

I read an interview with Mick where he said they wouldn't change keys on any song.

They did that, however, back in 73 already - with IAON.

Date: February 8, 2014 16:00

IAON is for ???

Date: February 8, 2014 16:02

It's All Over Now (The Nicaraguan Benefit show)

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 8, 2014 18:00

kowalski
GJV

I think it was "Have you seen your mother..."

You're right ofcourse! I always confuse those two songs which each other.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 8, 2014 21:53

Palace Revolution 2000
IAW Ricardo that he will never sing it because of that opening line. It is also a line that is essential to the song, so it can't really be dropped.
I thought it was going to be a thread on which song do we think Jagger can't sing live. My vote would surely go to "Rocks Off'. One of the greatest song in the Stones canon, but it comes off so bad live. Mainly because Jagger can not decide which way to go with it. In studio the main vocal is actually far down register-wise, and that won't project on stage. I have never understood why they dont change the key for that song.

I always thought that theyd never play 'Its all over now' and 'The last time' live because of how it'd be interpreted....and they played neither of them for decades on end. Now it doesnt seem to be an issue.

I think it'd be wonderfully ironic to hear Mick sing those lyrics in 2014.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 8, 2014 22:18

We've often tried to perform Mother's Little Helper and it's never been any good, never gelled for some reason - it's either me not playing it right or Keith not wanting to do it like that. It's never worked. It's just one of those songs. We used to try it live but it's a bloody hard record to play, although we did perform it live on Ed Sullivan.

- Charlie Watts, 2003

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 8, 2014 22:18

How old were they when they wrote 'Mother Little Helper" 23, I think it's a great and funny song especially in "66, don't think it will fit the Stones in 2014......We Love You would be a better choice.....don't know why they never consider to play this song live.........

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 8, 2014 22:26

rollingon
IAON is for ???

Thank you for asking, that one stumped me too

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 8, 2014 22:44

It's All Over Now ...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 8, 2014 23:03

Gazza
Palace Revolution 2000

I always thought that theyd never play 'Its all over now' and 'The last time' live because of how it'd be interpreted....and they played neither of them for decades on end. Now it doesnt seem to be an issue.

I think it'd be wonderfully ironic to hear Mick sing those lyrics in 2014.

They can always rewrite the lyrics. They've done it before:..."she looked about fifty..." winking smiley

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 8, 2014 23:13

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 8, 2014 23:27

treaclefingers
rollingon
IAON is for ???

abbreviations should be for bitten on IORR 80% I don't recognize ...

Date: February 9, 2014 03:48

Daltrey still sings "Hope I die before I get old." I really don't think there's any embarrassment regarding the lyrics on their part--Jagger can always sing the first line with an ironic expression, if absolutely necessary.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 9, 2014 03:59

I always thought that Mother's little Helper was a bad song. Almost embarrassing.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 9, 2014 04:33

Rip this joint

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 9, 2014 04:34

NICOS
treaclefingers
rollingon
IAON is for ???

abbreviations should be for bitten on IORR 80% I don't recognize ...
+1 on that idea...
I feel silly how often I cant place the song with the SSCA (sometimes seeemingly cyrillic abbreviation) winking smiley

Date: February 9, 2014 09:54

I agree, though I think there should be an exception for YCAGWYW (You Can't Always get Want You Want), on account of length. grinning smiley

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 9, 2014 10:31

IAON was strangely hard to decipher, but it definitely deserves abbreviation status up there with the great ones that need not be spelled out here. WOAF is strange, but easily recognized. Can't think of any songs that might be confused with others, but the albums BB, B2B and BtB have caused problems for me. For the upcoming leg, I think a good setlist would be one where I have to think for a minute before making the connection. Some of those songs MJ can't sing live should be in there (LIS, ASMB, RO, MLH), IMHO.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-09 10:34 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 9, 2014 12:54

IAON took me 2 and a half second to decipher but I had a bugger last nite to realize what OMS was.. And OMS is one of their best songs in years IMHO!!!

Date: February 9, 2014 13:37

Could somebody make a list of the Stones songs and their abbreviations and this list could be somewhere here in iorr? Just an idea.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 9, 2014 14:08

My guess is that if there is one former recorded Stones song, which has lyrics that Mick Jagger would have had some problem to deliver, unless done ironically, it has to be this one, written by Arthur Alexander

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home