Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT-Jimmy Fallon hosts Tonight Show
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 19, 2014 09:12

Anybody catch his debut last nite with musical guests U2 playing on the roof? He's booking some big names all week, Lady GaGa tonite. So, what do we think of him as Jay Leno & Johnny Carson's replacement? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: OT-Jimmy Fallon hosts Tonight Show
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 19, 2014 09:24

thumbs up thumbs up (Thought U2 were underwhelming, though.)

Date: February 19, 2014 09:31

Aquamarine
thumbs up thumbs up (Thought U2 were underwhelming, though.)

I couldn't hear their rooftop performance on their new song well, acoustics muffled. Bono displayed his usual magnetic personality onstage later on, wish they had done more inside than just a little jam. smiling smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 19, 2014 09:35

When Fallon once interviewed Paul McCartney, McCartney had to repeat an answer because Fallon wasn't even listening. Fallon is who underwhelms me.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 19, 2014 09:59

I love Fallon going back to his SNL days. I'm very happy he's been so lucky since he seems like a very nice guy that gets along with everyone.

Having said that, he's a terrible host for the Tonight Show and I don't think he was the right choice. That franchise has gone very downhill and does not have the prestige it once did. Fallon does horrible interviews (they are truly god awful) and his monologue is extremely weak. In 5 years at late night, neither of them has gotten better.

Again, he seems like a really cool guy and I've always liked him, but he's not right for the job, especially in those two aspects. The only thing he has in his corner are his games and his sketches, which admittedly are great and maybe the best of the late night people at the moment.

Also, I thought U2 were very bad. I don't happen to like their two new songs (I just think they are "U2 by the numbers") and neither sounded great. The first rooftop performance, while interesting, did little for me, and acoustic U2 all generally sounds the same that I would have rathered they just do a classic. They seem painfully trying to remain young and hip and its not working in their favor.

So to recap, I am a fan of both Fallon and U2 and have been for years. I was very disappointed by both of them last night.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 19, 2014 10:41

I already miss good ole Jay Leno sad smiley freekinNBC!!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 19, 2014 10:58

I'm not a Fallon fan: But maybe the quality on the music segments will increase with Fallon. He's more into rock and roll than Leno was. And more of a Rolling Stones fan...

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: February 19, 2014 11:11

As an Australian - not a part of US culture - this is how I see it.
Carson - Legendary talent.
Leno- Who's the fat guy with the high pitched voice?
Fallon - Likeable natural guy.

Date: February 19, 2014 12:03

I miss Jay already & think Jimmy, while likeable, may be the lesser of the evils available now. Too bad Dana Carvey was stricken with early heart disease some years back when he began climbing the late nite ladder after SNL. Also think Fallon is a frustrated rocker at heart and if he had his druthers would rather star in a rock 'n roll band. That's why he gets into full character & costume to sing, play guitar and consistently spoof and play alongside as many rockers as he can. But he's endearing himself to them (Lady GaGa couldn't give him enough kisses tonite & last nite) which should attract many musical acts, classic & new, to the show. Good for us! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 19, 2014 12:45

owlbynite
I miss Jay already & think Jimmy, while likeable, may be the lesser of the evils available now. Too bad Dana Carvey was stricken with early heart disease some years back when he began climbing the late nite ladder after SNL. Also think Fallon is a frustrated rocker at heart and if he had his druthers would rather star in a rock 'n roll band. That's why he gets into full character & costume to sing, play guitar and consistently spoof and play alongside as many rockers as he can. But he's endearing himself to them (Lady GaGa couldn't give him enough kisses tonite & last nite) which should attract many musical acts, classic & new, to the show. Good for us! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

dana carvey will be 59 this year. i doubt he would have been offered this job anyways considering in less than 10 years they would need a new host again.

Date: February 19, 2014 12:55

keefriffhard4life
owlbynite

dana carvey will be 59 this year. i doubt he would have been offered this job anyways considering in less than 10 years they would need a new host again.

yes, the timing of his open-heart surgery some years back was not kind to his career & took him out of the race completely, sadly. sad smiley

Date: February 19, 2014 13:25

owlbynite
He doesn't want to be a rock and roller. He respects the art of full blown comedy harkening back to the early days of SNL where performers would go all out to impersonate someone. Thats what he's channelling. But yes, he's also a big music fan. But no, he's definitely a comedian through and through and not a frustrated rocker at hear.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 19, 2014 13:35

jimmy fallon rocks . he will make everyone forget jay leno fast .!!!!!!!!!!bringing the show back to 30 rock in nyc does not get any better than that . !!!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2014 13:42

....I like Jimmy but he ain't no rock-star ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 19, 2014 13:44

Fallon's a twat. Don't respect the people he bring on, didn't listen to McCartney, nor Keith when he was on.

Alright he digs R n R but gotta clean up his act when it comes to listening.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 19, 2014 14:12

Fallon stinks

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 19, 2014 15:26

he's a big Stones fan. Talented guy.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 19, 2014 16:10

I haven't watched the Tonight Show in years before I just happend to be awake Monday @ midnight and remembered to turn it on... The opening monologue where he read his resume/biography was one of the biggest "hu'?" moments I can remember while watching tv. My wife's opinion was along the lines of: I'm about over this. It's going down fast. I (& my wife) both gave him a bunch of credit when he "reset" and did a second opening.

I must say that I did enjoy the skit w/ all the celebs bringing him $100. Thought Colbert was funny with the pennies all over the place, the selfie & welcome to 11:30. I wonder how many NBC viewers realized that was the competition.

U2's Rooftop was cool to look at but did nothing for me musically. Was kind of disapointed that LMJ didn't make more of an attempt to mime in time with the recorded track.

We gave up after that.

I wish Fallon the best but, there's a good chance I won't watch again until the next host takes over. Or when the musical guest is to good to pass up.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: February 19, 2014 16:15

I miss Johnny Carson.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 19, 2014 16:27

I think Fallon should do alright in his "new" position as Tonight Show host. Truthfully I had grown tired of both Leno and Letterman and only watched (or recorded) when a good musical guest was on. Fallon does have a bit of frat boy humor but I do think he is a quick wit and can come up with things on the spot. As far as not listening to answers I'm not sure I noticed too much of that, maybe he was sitting there with "I can't believe I'm interviewing Paul McCartney" running through his head at the time. Give him time. At least he comes up with original things and does not do the formulated talk show host scheme that Leno and Letterman had fallen into. And hopefully they don't change the show too much from how he did Late Night w. Jimmy Fallon. I expect many more cool music performances since he does attract a younger crowd.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 19, 2014 16:52

I watched the first two episodes last night, they were great. Seinfeld in particular had me hyperventilating in laughter.

Jimmy's show has legs.

Date: February 19, 2014 17:02

From opening night. This is funny.

Date: February 19, 2014 17:08

mighty stork
I think Fallon should do alright in his "new" position as Tonight Show host. Truthfully I had grown tired of both Leno and Letterman and only watched (or recorded) when a good musical guest was on. Fallon does have a bit of frat boy humor but I do think he is a quick wit and can come up with things on the spot. As far as not listening to answers I'm not sure I noticed too much of that, maybe he was sitting there with "I can't believe I'm interviewing Paul McCartney" running through his head at the time. Give him time. At least he comes up with original things and does not do the formulated talk show host scheme that Leno and Letterman had fallen into. And hopefully they don't change the show too much from how he did Late Night w. Jimmy Fallon. I expect many more cool music performances since he does attract a younger crowd.
I don't like that excuse anymore. He's been doing late night for 5 years. If you're not ready to move up, don't move up. I get being enamored by your guests, but at some point you have to grow a pair and conduct a good interview.

Date: February 19, 2014 17:29

RollingFreak
mighty stork
I don't like that excuse anymore. He's been doing late night for 5 years. If you're not ready to move up, don't move up. I get being enamored by your guests, but at some point you have to grow a pair and conduct a good interview.

You're missing the point. if you want an interview go watch 60 minutes or 20/20. It about entertainment. Nothing more.

Date: February 19, 2014 17:32

RollingFreak
mighty stork

if you're watching Fallon for his effective interviewing skills you're missing the point. it's all about goofing around and entertaining and he does that well.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 19, 2014 17:33

RollingFreak
mighty stork

Why complain? people love him for his talent. He's not a hard core interviewer. it's about making people have fun. Even Will Smith told him that Monday night.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 19, 2014 18:32

Macnee2
As an Australian - not a part of US culture - this is how I see it.
Carson - Legendary talent.
Leno- Who's the fat guy with the high pitched voice?
Fallon - Likeable natural guy.

As a Canadian I second this review. I was lucky to start watching the show with Steve Allen so caught the whole Jonney and Jay years. The day they find another "Jonney" is the day you have something to compare.

I'm sorry, nothing to debate.

Date: February 19, 2014 18:49

More Hot Rocks
RollingFreak
mighty stork

You're missing the point. if you want an interview go watch 60 minutes or 20/20. It about entertainment. Nothing more.

HA! We had the same comment more or less!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2014 20:16

This transition will take some time to shake out. The Roots seem a little distant now, but I'm sure that will change as the show gets into it's normal grind. I've been fortunate enough to see all the Tonight Show hosts do their thing. (Steve Allen had a syndicated late night show in the early 60s, where Letterman got a lot of his stuff. And Jack Paar had an hour long Friday night prime time show for a few years after he left the Tonight Show). I always considered Leno the least talented of the group. Letterman should have followed Carson, but we know how that worked out.

Allen was funny and also a very good musician. Paar was a conversationalist. Carson was a hybrid, funny and he could do a decent sketch. Leno appealed to that vast gray audience out in the middle of America. Conan got screwed. All the Tonight Show hosts in the past were given a year or two to build their audience. Fallon, who I think will mature, is at a strange point. He can do sketches, musical and otherwise, and yes, he's a bit deferential to his guests, but someone like Seinfeld is bigger than Fallon star wise at this point.

The shift from Leno to Fallon is also a switch to a younger generation. Allen and Carson were big into big band music. Fallon's into rock. Both are musics skewed to a slightly older, but not too old, viewer. Fallon can even pull off hip hop, which spreads his net even further. He's already built up a good network of hard to get rock stars to appear on his show. Now they'll know they're appearing on the most prestigious show. Lorne Michaels, what a genius. Carson didn't want SNL to happen, and now Michaels runs the Tonight Show, SNL, and the new Late Night with Seth Meyers.

It's hard to find early Carson Tonight Shows to view, but he was a little insecure his first couple years. It took him a while to get that HUGE STAR persona, where in the end his fame dwarfed that of his guests. Fallon should be interesting to watch. He won't be as dominant as Carson, not with Kimmel and Letterman on at the same time. But the return to New York definitely gives it a different vibe. Should be fun.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 19, 2014 20:19

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon:The Doors Sing 'Reading Rainbow' Theme (Childrens television show)

[www.nbc.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home