Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT- Unwritten rules of your country
Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: February 6, 2014 01:17

-Never disappear when it's your turn to "shout".
-As Rockman said,never dob on mates.
-Party hard,and play fair.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2014 01:18

Are ya goin' to the Brisbane show klrkcr???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 6, 2014 01:20

Never bet on the NO PASS line when it's your turn to roll the dice grinning smiley

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: February 6, 2014 01:25

Unfortunately no Rockman,just started tertiary studies(not studied for 30 yrs).Breaking my heart but just.....I'll be there in spirit.I truly wish everyone has a fantastic time.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 6, 2014 01:34

Japanese don’t say no, directly. Japanese say no indirectly.

It's Jagger's opinion, though.smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 6, 2014 01:52

mr_dja
Regarding tipping in the USA and other countries as it applies... I've always been told that, if you happen to be waited on by the OWNER of the bar/restuarant, it is actually considered bad form to leave a tip. I can't say exactly where or when I was told this but believe I've heard it multiple times over multiple decades.

Has anyone else ever heard of this practice/tradition?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Of course that's true, because tipping is actually humiliating and by tipping the owner you treat him like a servant. grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2014 01:58

Unfortunately no Rockman,just started tertiary studies

Awwwww shame we coulda caught up and had a beer ...good luck with the studies ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 6, 2014 02:14

kleermaker
mr_dja
Regarding tipping in the USA and other countries as it applies... I've always been told that, if you happen to be waited on by the OWNER of the bar/restuarant, it is actually considered bad form to leave a tip. I can't say exactly where or when I was told this but believe I've heard it multiple times over multiple decades.

Has anyone else ever heard of this practice/tradition?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Of course that's true, because tipping is actually humiliating and by tipping the owner you treat him like a servant. grinning smiley
Humiliating for whom? And why? That doesnt make sense.

For meals I actually start my tip at 30% and work backwards. I wont divulge my exact system, but I LOVE IT when I actually get to tip 30%, it means it was spectacular. On a 30.00-40.00 meal it is only like 10-12 bucks extra when/if the service and food was awesome it is well worth it, and not much more in the scheme of things... and it makes the next and next and next visits even better and better. It is a great system... and I have ALWAYS gotten along very very well with bartenders and waitress, they love me and I love them and I dont mind paying for it, at least it is an honest love.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 02:19 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 6, 2014 02:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 02:53 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 6, 2014 03:31

BluzDude
It seems that these days, except for high end establishments, most places pool their tips.

You have to throw a certain percentage in the pot for the bus staff, the lowly folks who clean off your table and bring the dirty dishes back to the kitchen...disgusting work and I did my share of it when I was 14, 15 years old.

The rest you keep for yourself and the better you are at the job, the better the section you get, which means you get the best tips.

You have to be quick moving, quick thinking with a good short term memory, charming, but not too friendly, and strong to carry those heavy trays.

I wasn't that good at it. grinning smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 6, 2014 05:02

Winners aren't grinners be humble and poker faced when winning the lottery,winning teams in sport etc..unusual a eye rolling smiley

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 6, 2014 06:28

colonial
No tips to anyone..its classed as rude

Just because your a skin flint, don't make all Kiwi's out to be cheap!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: February 6, 2014 10:24

gimmelittledrink
In D.C. the standard for good service is 20%.

San Francisco 15% tip would be seen as cheap. Standard is 20-25%. DC also. Anight at Nora's? 25-30% tip.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 6, 2014 11:56

I don't think Americans are aware of the prices at restaurants in Scandinavia. In Norway, for example, a McDonald's hamburger costs about $15. Just imagine the prices at an ordinary restaurant. Try tipping on that...

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 6, 2014 12:13

Down Under, if you're wearing sandals, you do NOT wear socks as well

Date: February 6, 2014 12:50

vox12string

Can you do that somewhere at all?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 6, 2014 13:05

Max'sKansasCity
I saw this thread on reddit, and I wonder if people from some of those countries agree?

Finland - You should NEVER talk to a stranger,

- Hmm, pretty bleak, but I guess it`s true. The same goes for London, I`m told. Pretty bleak stuff indeed! The trouble is, you have to approach strangers through socially accepted channels. Maybe a guy like Jim Morrison would have rebelled to that!

Furthermore, I think Sweden is the most politically correct country in the world, even worse than Norway.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 6, 2014 13:22

noughties
Max'sKansasCity
I saw this thread on reddit, and I wonder if people from some of those countries agree?

Finland - You should NEVER talk to a stranger,

- Hmm, pretty bleak, but I guess it`s true. The same goes for London, I`m told. Pretty bleak stuff indeed! The trouble is, you have to approach strangers through socially accepted channels. Maybe a guy like Jim Morrison would have rebelled to that!

Furthermore, I think Sweden is the most politically correct country in the world, even worse than Norway.

It's bizarre.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 6, 2014 13:30

DandelionPowderman
vox12string

Trademark of the uncool Englishman abroad - but no, you'll get arrested by the fashion police everywhere for this. Maybe older ladies might get away with it?

Date: February 6, 2014 14:02

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
vox12string

Trademark of the uncool Englishman abroad - but no, you'll get arrested by the fashion police everywhere for this. Maybe older ladies might get away with it?

My mother, may she rest in peace, was one of the offenders...there was no talking her out of it. She said it was comfortable and since she was old she could dress however she damn well pleased. I blame my youngest sister who introduced her to the trend, that's what living in Seattle will do to you. grinning smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 6, 2014 16:23

latebloomer
Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
vox12string

My mother, may she rest in peace, was one of the offenders...there was no talking her out of it. She said it was comfortable and since she was old she could dress however she damn well pleased. I blame my youngest sister who introduced her to the trend, that's what living in Seattle will do to you. grinning smiley

My dad can be an offender as well (black socks under boat shoes & tennis shoes with shorts is his version - I've NEVER seen him in sandles)... Year's ago my girlfriend and Dad were discussing leaving our hotel room and going down to the pool area. My girlfriend, looked at my dad an declared "You do realize that are NOT going down there with black socks on, don't you?" I think my mom STILL gives him grief over that story. He went along with it that day but, for the most part, he tends to agree with latebloomer's mom. Actually, the older I get, the more I agree with them as well. grinning smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 6, 2014 19:20

skip this

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 19:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 6, 2014 19:23

Not to get the thread bogged by tipping advice, that is common knowledge. If in doubt, tip.... if the tip insults someone wtf? you gave them mopney, how insulted can they be?

What about unwritten rules we dont know about, like the dont talk to strangers thing in certain countires... how do people meet other people if that is really a rule?

Date: February 6, 2014 19:51

Okay Max, some unwritten rules for the USA...

In the south, it's not polite to ask what someone does for work when you first meet them, in DC it is expected.

It's always considered rude to speak loudly on your cell phone in public places.

You can't eat or drink on the subway trains.

Americans generally prefer handshakes to kisses upon meeting, but it's perfectly fine among teenagers.

Wait until the red light to put your lipstick and earrings on...oops, that's me. grinning smiley

Date: February 6, 2014 20:05

I was mostly talking to me about the tips thing... I even erased my comment directed at whats his name... but if anyone wants to talk about anything on any threads I make, feel free, I dont mind.

smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 6, 2014 20:53

Some reasons why tipping sucks:

[www.bantipping.com]

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: February 6, 2014 21:13

In DC, it is customary to show up for a party at least one hour late and to immediately tell the host, "I have to leave soon for another party."

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 6, 2014 21:18

gimmelittledrink
In DC, it is customary to show up for a party at least one hour late and to immediately tell the host, "I have to leave soon for another party."

in DC....and Hollywood!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 6, 2014 21:21

In the rural American South:

1. Always ask "How's your mama and them"?

2. When someone dies, everyone in the community takes food to the family.

3. On a similar note, cars pull over for a funeral procession.

4. Never ask anyone what they paid for a car or truck.

5. College football is king. Season tickets are often fought over in divorce cases.

6. Courtesy is important - thank you, please, sir, maam, etc.

7. A blessing is always said before meals.

Date: February 6, 2014 21:22

kleermaker
Some reasons why tipping sucks:

[www.bantipping.com]

they only listed 6 things on their 10 thing list and the things they list are not valid. I guess they didnt get a big enough tip to complete the job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 21:23 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home