Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Unwritten rules of your country
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 5, 2014 19:54

I saw this thread on reddit, and I wonder if people from some of those countries agree?

For instance, some in that thread suggest...

Guam - Taking food home with you is not a polite suggestion from your party host, it's a requirement.

Finland - You should NEVER talk to a stranger,
Italy - You should ALWAYS talk to strangers.

Spain - Just about any topic of conversation is socially acceptable - income, health, private life, but DO NOT EVER bring up the Spanish Civil War. People are still deeply divided about that.

A bunch more... [www.reddit.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-11 12:01 by bv.

Re: OT- Unwritten rules of your country
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 5, 2014 20:12

I think the differences concerning the do's and don'ts between the social-economical classes in a country are in many respects and mostly bigger than the differences between the countries themselves. Notice that countries are consisted of many very different social-economical and regional groups. So I can't say anything about the country I live in concerning general accepted, nationwide do's and don'ts.

Date: February 5, 2014 20:16

kleermaker
I think the differences concerning the do's and don'ts between the social-economical classes in a country are in many respects and mostly bigger than the differences between the countries themselves. Notice that countries are consisted of many very different social-economical and regional groups. So I can't say anything about the country I live in concerning general accepted, nationwide do's and don'ts.
They said DONT walk or stand on bike paths is very important. I dont recall this being an important thing from my visit, but then again, I stay off of improper paths as a rule of thumb, no matter where I am.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 20:29 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 5, 2014 20:25

I would add for the U.S. - Tipping of 15% is expected on meals which are brought by a waiter to your table. I guess this is not done in a lot of other countries.

Personally, I use tipping to the Nth degree. I think tipping is one of the best uses of money I spend. I feel it is a small amount to pay for extra good service, especially when so many do not properly tip . Me leaving a lil more than an average tip, when I am a repeat customer, brings excellent service in the future. But I will add... I DO NOT tip well if/when the service is poor, and I usually do not go back to that place either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 20:27 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 5, 2014 20:28

It's 10 % tipping in Norway. I hope I'm not wrong about this smiling smiley

Date: February 5, 2014 20:33

DandelionPowderman
I bet if the normal amount of a tip was 10% everywhere people would tip properly more often. I find it hard to believe the number of people (who are not that stupid) whom I have known who could NOT figure out a 15% tip to save their life... that extra 5 seems to just blow it up for them.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: February 5, 2014 20:44

In D.C. the standard for good service is 20%.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: February 5, 2014 20:50

gimmelittledrink
In D.C. the standard for good service is 20%.
eye popping smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 5, 2014 20:52

DandelionPowderman

Out of the question in Holland..grinning smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:04

--------

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:12

20% is about right for urban cities in the US for dinner, 15% for lunch. But it's what I usually tip no matter where I am. I spent a lot of time waiting tables in my teens and early twenties, so I know what hard work it is and how much crap waiters and waitresses have to put up with. On the other hand, if the service is lousy, I don't leave as much.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:32

Max'sKansasCity

No wonder why nobody would talk to me when I was in Finlanddrinking smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:37

DONT walk or stand on bike paths is very important when I'm on my racingbike doing 30-50km!

Date: February 5, 2014 21:43

BluzDude
Max'sKansasCity

No wonder why nobody would talk to me when I was in Finlanddrinking smiley

I wonder about this rule and was wondering if someone from Finland could confirm it, and tell us what is the reason for it. How does anyone meet each other or find a new girl friend if they abide by this rule?

Date: February 5, 2014 21:48

Max'sKansasCity
kleermaker
They said DONT walk or stand on bike paths is very important.

No one does live up to that rule: bikers bike on the footpaths and pedestrians walk on the bike paths just as easily, not matter how young or old they are. You see it in Amsterdam but also in little villages. And seldom people comment on the offenders or reproach them.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:51

Hand signals, is how Finns communicate with strangers. Also semaphore, when the wind isn't too strong.

I think I'm right about this.

(I always tip the same as latebloomer, but am told in the UK that I overtip, so it must be about 10% there?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-05 21:52 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:51

Unwritten Rules of Elderly International Stones Fans (male).
1. Never pass a toilet.
2. Never trust a fart.
3. Never waste an erection.

Date: February 5, 2014 21:53

DandelionPowderman

I think it's the same here Dandie, but personally I hate tipping. It keeps the wages low and it's humiliating too. I never feel comfortable while doing. A strange habit, because we also don't tip other people who serve us (in the bakery or whatever shop etc).

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:55

No tips to anyone..its classed as rude

Welcome and talk to strangers

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: February 5, 2014 21:56

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I think it's the same here Dandie, but personally I hate tipping. It keeps the wages low and it's humiliating too. I never feel comfortable while doing. A strange habit, because we also don't tip other people who serve us (in the bakery or whatever shop etc).

I get confused in bars.

No, what I mean is, I tip the person who brings a drink to my table, and think I probably don't need to if I'm sitting at the bar, but I'm not sure about that, so I do anyway. confused smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 5, 2014 22:01

Aquamarine
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I get confused in bars.

No, what I mean is, I tip the person who brings a drink to my table, and think I probably don't need to if I'm sitting at the bar, but I'm not sure about that, so I do anyway. confused smiley

It depends on the music and the barservice.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 5, 2014 22:12

Aquamarine
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I get confused in bars.

You only need to tip twice if you are in two different locations...First, if you are sitting in the bar area waiting on a table in the restuarant, you tip the bartender or server who brings you a drink. Then when you move to your table for a meal, you tip the wait person after you've eaten.

Think of it Aqua, like when you get your hair done...you have to tip the girl who washes your hair, then you tip the one who cuts and styles it. smiling smiley

Date: February 5, 2014 22:57

I had a very interesting experience in Bergen (Norway), not sure if these guys were following unwritten rules or not. But back in the 80's I arrived with a travel buddy in Bergen on a Saturday night, just before either 10 or 11PM. Streets were empty and we were trying to figure out which B&B we wanted to try to get into.

All of the sudden 100's of people come staggering down the street. I thought a Handicap convention just let out. But it was all the bars in the area closing and everyone was drunk. These 2 guys came up to us (they saw by our large backpacks we were tourists) and asked where we were staying. I told them I wasn't sure. They replied "Come on, your staying with us, we won't take no for an answer".

The told us they had to get something from their car before they found a cab. I asked, "why a cab"? It was explaned to me that you drive to the bar, get drunk, take a cab home, and go back the next day and pick up your car.

So we took a cab to one of their apartments, they wouldn't let us pay the cab fair, their sofas converted into beds to which they said they are always guest ready. When we woke up on Sunday, our hosts were figuring out how to "score some beer" because alcohol sales on Sunday was illegal.

It was a very pleasant and fun experience. If this happened anywhere in the States, I don't think I would have trusted the individuals.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 5, 2014 23:09

Pot is legal in Canada, we just got stoned and forgot to tell the government!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2014 23:20

Never dob on ya mates
Accelerate when traffic-lights turn to amber
Always say goodaye to ya mum if you get on Telly
Ya can hit on another man's wife but never-never touch his beer....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 5, 2014 23:46

Regarding tipping in the USA and other countries as it applies... I've always been told that, if you happen to be waited on by the OWNER of the bar/restuarant, it is actually considered bad form to leave a tip. I can't say exactly where or when I was told this but believe I've heard it multiple times over multiple decades.

Has anyone else ever heard of this practice/tradition?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2014 23:48

latebloomer
20% is about right for urban cities in the US for dinner, 15% for lunch. But it's what I usually tip no matter where I am. I spent a lot of time waiting tables in my teens and early twenties, so I know what hard work it is and how much crap waiters and waitresses have to put up with. On the other hand, if the service is lousy, I don't leave as much.

I agree...I start with 20% and work backwards...don't piss us off and you're getting your 20%.

Step out of line and BOOM you're down to 10%!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 6, 2014 00:00

Finland: speak your mind, be straightforward, be analytic, think before you open your mouth
Sweden: never say anything that might upset, be absurdly political correct, never ever speak your mind and agree whatever you do

grinning smiley

Date: February 6, 2014 01:10

latebloomer

You only need to tip twice if you are in two different locations...First, if you are sitting in the bar area waiting on a table in the restuarant, you tip the bartender or server who brings you a drink. Then when you move to your table for a meal, you tip the wait person after you've eaten.

Think of it Aqua, like when you get your hair done...you have to tip the girl who washes your hair, then you tip the one who cuts and styles it. smiling smiley

Er . . that would be me, on both counts. grinning smiley But thanks, that's useful info.

And I've heard that about tipping the owner of the establishment too, Mr DJA, but no idea where or if it's correct.

Date: February 6, 2014 01:14

It seems that these days, except for high end establishments, most places pool their tips.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1311
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home