Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Aerosmith guitarists are similar to Stones guitarists
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:17

ultimaterocker
RollingFreak
Nobody's Fault was what inspired the thread lol!

I know a lot of people slag off Aerosmith as being a cheap copy of the Stones ....and while Aerosmith's golden period isn't on par with the Stones during 68-73 .....they had a nice 4-5 album run themselves

Self Titled (1973)
Get Your Wings (1974)
Toys in the Attic (1975)
Rocks (1976)
Draw the Line (1977)

I even think Pump - Get A Grip - Nine Lives is a great run. And you can even add half of Permanent Vacation.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: February 5, 2014 21:21

Joe Perry's guitar even....

Date: February 5, 2014 21:28

BowieStone
ultimaterocker
RollingFreak
Nobody's Fault was what inspired the thread lol!

I know a lot of people slag off Aerosmith as being a cheap copy of the Stones ....and while Aerosmith's golden period isn't on par with the Stones during 68-73 .....they had a nice 4-5 album run themselves

Self Titled (1973)
Get Your Wings (1974)
Toys in the Attic (1975)
Rocks (1976)
Draw the Line (1977)

I even think Pump - Get A Grip - Nine Lives is a great run. And you can even add half of Permanent Vacation.

IMO, PV is the best in that string of albums.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 5, 2014 23:15

I think Rocks is their best studio album, if I have to choose one. It's heavier and more cohesive than Toys In The Attic. Also love Live Bootleg a lot -- it's ragged and sloppy but has tons of funk and energy to it.

Of their post-1984 material I think Pump is easily their best record. Note that they wrote most of that album themselves, without hired songwriters, with a few credits to Whitford and Hamilton as well, just like their mid-70s period. It shows in the music -- they should've stuck to that route.

Their latest album isn't bad either -- could be their best since Get A Grip -- but they should have tossed some of the ballads. It's a bit on the lengthy side.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 6, 2014 02:18

I could get down now with some Lord of the Thighs, Sick as a Dog, Chip Away the Stone and One Way Street.cool smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 6, 2014 03:50

No they're not.

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: February 6, 2014 07:17

71Tele
No they're not.

Brad Whitford has a similar lead style to Mick Taylor

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 6, 2014 07:54

ultimaterocker
71Tele
No they're not.

True,

And I was mainly talking about the respect they get/their presence in the mainstream public, not necessarily their playing styles. Although there are definitely similarities there as well.

Date: February 6, 2014 10:18

I think the guitar teams are not alike. I bet the A'smith guitarists wish there were more similarities, but outside Tyler/Perry copping most of the Glimmer looks and moves, there isn't much. No Stones guitarist plays like Whitford. The closest would be Taylor, but Taylor comes from the British school of Blues players; from Mayall, Green, HaRPer.
And what A'smith chooses to play with their guys is also very different. I wonder if A'smith LOOKED different, if anyone would see similarities.
And let me say" I like Aerosmith. Those first 5 albums are a must IMO.

I also love guitar duos. But that doesn't make them all like the Stones. Hunter/Wagner were brilliant. Smith/Kramer probably the closest to Stones.
Slash?Izzy is another US version of the team. Close to Taylor would be Marc Ford; IMO the best lead man to play with the Crowes.

Okay: a very good team was Verlaine, and (one of my heroes) Richard Lloyd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 10:21 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: February 6, 2014 10:30

Palace Revolution 2000
I think the guitar teams are not alike. I bet the A'smith guitarists wish there were more similarities, but outside Tyler/Perry copping most of the Glimmer looks and moves, there isn't much. No Stones guitarist plays like Whitford. The closest would be Taylor, but Taylor comes from the British school of Blues players; from Mayall, Green, HaRPer.
And what A'smith chooses to play with their guys is also very different. I wonder if A'smith LOOKED different, if anyone would see similarities.
And let me say" I like Aerosmith. Those first 5 albums are a must IMO.

I also love guitar duos. But that doesn't make them all like the Stones. Hunter/Wagner were brilliant. Smith/Kramer probably the closest to Stones.
Slash?Izzy is another US version of the team. Close to Taylor would be Marc Ford; IMO the best lead man to play with the Crowes.

Okay: a very good team was Verlaine, and (one of my heroes) Richard Lloyd.

Luther's slide playing with the Crowes was a bit similar to Taylor's style round 1972/73.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 6, 2014 17:10

Ronnie does get more exposure than Brad.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: February 6, 2014 17:21

What songs do they play live these days. Im going to see them in june and i want to sing along, give them some feedback ya know

Date: February 6, 2014 17:23

Hilarious! (round 11:20) grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Back in the saddle (00:00) Love in an elevator (06:12) Toys in the attic (12:10) Oh Yeah (16:30) Pink (20:30) Dude looks like a lady (24:40) Rag Doll (29:05) Cryin (33:35) Last Child (39:40) Jaded (44:44) Combination (48:30) Eat the rich (54:50) What is takes (1:01:10) Livin' on the edge (1:07:30) I don't want to miss a thing (1:15:15) No more no more (1:19:42) Come Together(1:24:46) Mother Popcorn (1:29:25) Walk this way (1:32:45) Dream On (1:38:50) Sweet Emotion (1:43:50)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-06 17:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 6, 2014 18:15

DoctorFreddie
What songs do they play live these days. Im going to see them in june and i want to sing along, give them some feedback ya know

I feel for those sitting around you. Just lip the words, don't sing loudly as I've experienced this at some shows and it's annoying as hell. Even if you can sing good.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: February 6, 2014 18:22

They have from day 1 tried to copy everything the Stones did/do - except they failed miserably

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 6, 2014 18:29

michaelsavage
They have from day 1 tried to copy everything the Stones did/do - except they failed miserably

To say "everything" is quite an exageration. Apparently you've never heard Steven Tyler (or the rest of the band) talk about the things that they did copy and influences that they absorbed. Fine as an opinion but wrong when stated as a fact.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 6, 2014 19:06

RollingFreak
ultimaterocker
71Tele
No they're not.

True,

And I was mainly talking about the respect they get/their presence in the mainstream public, not necessarily their playing styles. Although there are definitely similarities there as well.

The two bands are not in the same league, so I think any comparisons are futile.

Date: February 6, 2014 20:57

mr_dja
michaelsavage

To say "everything" is quite an exageration. Apparently you've never heard Steven Tyler (or the rest of the band) talk about the things that they did copy and influences that they absorbed. Fine as an opinion but wrong when stated as a fact.

Peace,
Mr DJA

No, it's not

Date: February 6, 2014 21:35

michaelsavage
mr_dja
michaelsavage

Peace,
Mr DJA

No, it's not

I stand corrected. You're right, I was incorrect when I said it was fine as an opinion and wrong when it's stated as fact. It's also wrong to perpetuate your opinions as fact when they are wrong. Your opinion, as stated above, is wrong.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 6, 2014 21:46

mr_dja
I stand corrected. You're right, I was incorrect when I said it was fine as an opinion and wrong when it's stated as fact. It's also wrong to perpetuate your opinions as fact when they are wrong. Your opinion, as stated above, is wrong.

Peace,
Mr DJA

>grinning smiley<

Date: February 6, 2014 21:53

Nope. They from jump street tried to be exactly like the Stones. Manerrism, clothes, stage act.

Please...

It's just that they failed.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 6, 2014 22:14

Wow, there are some real idiots here.

Just my opinion of course. Wouldn't want to go around stating that as a fact, even though its true.

Date: February 6, 2014 22:17

Well, the Stones also tried to copy Jimmy Reed, Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, etc. as much as they could. And they kinda failed too, but created their own thing while they were at it. Same thing with Aerosmith, except they weren't as special or influential as the Stones. But they did have their own sound and they had lots more influences than the Stones, mainly the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin.

They had a big impact on Mötley Crüe, Guns 'n' Roses, Black Crowes, etc. I know it means nothing to a lot of people here, though.

Date: February 6, 2014 23:24

Apologies to all for a couple of my posts above... I forgot... Reminder to myself: “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

Again, apologies to all. We now return you to your regularly scheduled internet discussion board.

Peace,
Mr DJA

-> LieB, I honestly (no sarcasm) hope I didn't offend you. After reading your more recent post, I'm hoping your "smiley" was merely a translation of my post rather than a reply. As a translation, it was pretty accurate if I must say so myself. If it was a reply, I truly meant no offense... That arguing with a fool thing will get me in trouble every time.

Date: February 6, 2014 23:47

An important point here is that Aerosmith copied more from LZ, The Yardbirds and The Beatles musically.

Date: February 7, 2014 00:02

michaelsavage
Nope. They from jump street tried to be exactly like the Stones. Manerrism, clothes, stage act.

Please...

It's just that they failed.

wtf? aerosmiths albums sell more than the stones here in the states so how did they fail?

Date: February 7, 2014 00:19

So did the Bee Gees

Date: February 7, 2014 00:35

michaelsavage
So did the Bee Gees

thats actually not true and if was true that means the bee gees did not fail

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 7, 2014 00:45

DandelionPowderman
An important point here is that Aerosmith copied more from LZ, The Yardbirds and The Beatles musically.

I know they've been called the "poor man's Stones" and they have that 5 man setup, but musically, I agree with you.

Date: February 7, 2014 02:42

mr_dja
-> LieB, I honestly (no sarcasm) hope I didn't offend you. After reading your more recent post, I'm hoping your "smiley" was merely a translation of my post rather than a reply. As a translation, it was pretty accurate if I must say so myself. If it was a reply, I truly meant no offense... That arguing with a fool thing will get me in trouble every time.

I wasn't offended at all. My smiley was merely meant as appreciation and enjoyment of your comments to michaelsavage.

I'm a big Aerosmith fan, and I'm a little fed up with people here slagging 'em off as Stones copy cats all the time. At the same time, I don't think Aerosmith are as good, special or influential as the Stones, and I don't really take these discussions too seriously anyway.

Btw, I learned today that Aerosmith will come to Sweden in June and I won't miss that opportunity. I saw them live in 1999 and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to (better than the Stones in 1998 and 2003, IMHO).

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home