Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick Taylor's Crankiness With Stones Fans
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 14, 2005 16:16

KeithRichards Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone on this thread said that it's difficult to
> acknowledge Mick Tayor for his solo career- and
> that's the truth, in my opinion. People go to his
> concerts because h e used to be a member of the
> Stones. There are some people that think his
> songwriting&singing is great (OpenG, MLC), but
> it's a fact that this isn't true. And I think that
> it's hard for him to realize that his career
> didn't work out as he would have liked.
> I'm not questioning Mick's guitar skills, but
> that's just not enough to be a star.
> I feel sorry for him - he now has to play little
> bars in the backyards of Europe.
> No wonder he doesn't like to talk about the Stones
> that much.
>
> He is a good example of a highly skilled musician
> who took the wrong step in his career. As a studio
> musician he would've been great - as a solo artist
> he failed.
> That's a fact.
>
> Again, I'm not questioning his skills - I loved
> what he did with the Stones - Time Waits For No
> One is one of my all-time favourite songs. And I'm
> sure he is a nice guy. But I'm sure he wanted to
> be more than that - and unfortunatley it didn't
> work out...
>

It didn't work out because he wasted years wallowing in self-pity. Took him until 1979 to release a solo album and even then he didn't tour behind it. Really didn't begin to do solo tours until 1986-87, by which time no one gave a damn except for the most hardcore of Stones fans, the very people he DOESN'T want to play for.

Sure, he's depressed, but you know, even Pete Best gets out of bed every morning.

Taylor never got his solo career off the ground because he simply refuses to "play the game". The first rule of show business is to give the people just enough of what they want to make them want to come back next time. Sure, he puts on a good blues show, but good blues bands are a dime a dozen. We go to see him to experience a little of that 'ol Stones black magic, and making us wait all night to hear the instrumental second half of CYHMK just doesn't cut it. I'm not saying he should do a total sell-out Stones tribute show with everyone dressed up in early 70s garb like the Black Crows, but he needs to embrace and celebrate that part of his life a bit more.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 14, 2005 16:50

>>It didn't work out because he wasted years wallowing in self-pity.<<

Was he really wallowing in self pity for years? How do you know this? Were you with him? Did you know him then? Has he come out and said anywhere that he spent years wallowing in self pity?

If not, this is pure speculation stated as fact. Maybe it's as simple as he no longer WANTED to "play the game".

Ross

Date: May 14, 2005 17:21

glimmertwin50 Wrote:
> >
> I have seen him waving away (with both hands!)
> someone who was waving a copy of Sticky Fingers in
> his face in the early 90s at a New York club.

I've seen him walk off stage in the middle of a show, claiming he had "blown out" his amp, when people in front called out for Stones songs.

I've seen him show up at a club so late that many people in the audience asked for (and got) their money back. It's possible the club owner may have been so rude as to ask Mick to be on time next time because ....

I also saw him return to that same venue, and, apparently out of spite, go on stage the MINUTE THE CLUB OPENED ITS DOORS, so that they wouldn't have time to make any money selling alcohol.

Mick Taylor is my favourtie guitar player. Period. I will put up with any amount of his nonsense because to me it is worth it to be able to see and hear him play in circumstances so intimate, I can actually FEEL the blast of his guitar coming out of his amp (at least until it "blows"), but I can also understand why a more casual fan would be turned off by this behavior. I know of no other rock musician who seems to have a sort of unwritten code of etiquette for attending one of his shows. Actually, it might not be a bad idea to write it down. They could hand it to you on a little piece of paper when you walk in the door. "Rules to Follow So As Not To Upset Mr. Taylor".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-14 17:36 by tatters.

Re: Mick Taylor
Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: May 14, 2005 21:51

I loved reading those stories, Tatters....it's those eccentricities that true artists have, and didn't Hendrix have some too.
You may be right about some of what you're saying.
Maybe stones fans shouldn't come to his shows expecting to hear stones tunes or expecting him to play the game, esp at his age. Maybe Taylor's career isn't doing so good because of these expectations, or because of his not always so kind perspective of stones fans. He could just do his own songs at his shows then a different type of crowd would show up.

P.S-- Smokey----> I never asked him those questions, but I didn't get the impression he ever jammed with Brian or he would have said so. He spoke respectfully but it was brief.

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

Ah, people asking questions lost in confusion
Well I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
I tell them there's no hurry
I'm just sitting here doing time

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go
I just had to let it go

[p207.ezboard.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-15 00:17 by Miss U..

Re: Mick Taylor
Date: May 15, 2005 05:37

Miss U. Wrote:
> I loved reading those stories, Tatters....it's
> those eccentricities that true artists have, and
> didn't Hendrix have some too.
> You may be right about some of what you're saying.
>
> Maybe stones fans shouldn't come to his shows
> expecting to hear stones tunes or expecting him to
> play the game, esp at his age. Maybe Taylor's
> career isn't doing so good because of these
> expectations, or because of his not always so kind
> perspective of stones fans. He could just do his
> own songs at his shows then a different type of
> crowd would show up.

Or maybe no one would show up at all. This is the career advice I would give him:

I would tell him to take a look at the career of the late Who bassist John Entwistle.

In 1995, at age 51, John put a band together that was a kind of upside-down-inside-out version of the Who in its prime, allowing fans to get a sense of what the Who might have been like if Entwistle and Townshend had reversed roles, if John had been the dominant force and Pete had been just an innovative guitarist who contributed one song per Who album.

It was heavy. John hated the watered down, semi-acoustic 15-18 piece big band the Who had become. With his own band, he was able to turn up the volume and give fans their final chance on this earth to experience something of what the Who had sounded like at their 1969-1970 peak. In fact, his band sounded more like the old Who than the new Who did!

But it wasn't a Who tribute show. Half the songs were from John's solo albums. The other half were Who songs he had written. And he did one or two Townshend songs. What it did was this: It gave John a chance to show the fans just how large his contribution to the band had been, a chance to thump his chest and say "THIS is what I brought to the table! I was THE MAN! They would have been SHIT without me!"

I'd love to see Mick Taylor do something like that. Play a set that's 50% Stones songs and show the crowd that these songs are great because it was HIS contributions to them that made them great! He already does that everytime he plays CYHMK. He just needs to do it more. Fans would walk away feeling not merely placated ("Well, at least I got to hear him do one Stones song"), but feeling deliriously happy ("Holy shit, man! That was almost like seeing the '72 Stones! In a CLUB!")

He could have a little fun with it, too. Maybe have a young Keef lookalike as a second guitarist, but just standing off in the corner, not much stage presence, quietly and respectfully taking his cues from the master, Mick Taylor, while a young Mick Jagger clone blows a little harp and contributes the occasional vocal.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-15 05:53 by tatters.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 15, 2005 06:24

>>He could have a little fun with it, too. Maybe have a young Keef lookalike as a second guitarist, but just standing off in the corner, not much stage presence, quietly and respectfully taking his cues from the master, Mick Taylor, while a young Mick Jagger clone blows a little harp and contributes the occasional vocal. <<

UUggh!

Maybe he could just join a Stones tribute band and play Vegas!

I saw Mick Taylor live twice. Once with John Mayall (1982 ish) and once with his band (including the great Max Middleton on keyboards in 2000). With Mayall there were no Stones references and the Mick Taylor Band show gave a nod with "You Gotta Move". Both shows were excellent! I came away in awe having just seen a legendary guitarist.

He is simply an artist who (however much to Stones Fans dislike) has no interest is pursuing the commercial success that he once achieved. Perhaps his best opportunity to do that was right after The Stones with Jack Bruce, which he nixed.

He is an artist who calls his own shots with his integrity intact. I can't imagine anything LESS interesting than Mick Taylor touring around with an "ersatz quasi-Stones" band.

Ross

Date: January 24, 2006 20:16

Since MT is such a popular topic of conversation around here, I just thought I would throw this up in everyone's face again. Enjoy!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 24, 2006 20:19

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Posted by: chuck fornero ()
Date: January 24, 2006 20:26

I saw Mick in Seattle in the mid 90"s. His band was horrible with a lead singer wailing on the floor with no shirt on, reminded me of Black Oak Arkansas which was a band I would rather forget!

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: January 24, 2006 20:45

I have seen hem several times in Madrid and he has always been very kind. It was easy to talk a while with him (even one time a knocked his backstage door and he opened it), take pictures, signed exile, sticky, carla olson, and many more, always a nice guy!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 24, 2006 21:14

A lil late to answer a Q from May, but...
MCDDTLC asekd me from where I got it that keith wanted Taylor out so that he
could get Woody in... Well; as you can see, takin a closer look,
I was just quotin Tatters in his first postin on this thread.
That´s all.
But, it´s hardly no secret that Keith was unconfortable with Taylor.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 24, 2006 21:19

I met Mick at a show in STL at the Viking Hotel about 3 years ago. He seemed really cool and signed my Stones cds although I also bought his solo cd and had him sign it too. Haven't actually listoned to it, but I felt a little guilty only having him sign stones cds. Also met John Entwhistle on his solo tour and him sign WHO cds and still haven't listoned to his solo cd either.Oh well

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 24, 2006 21:25

I'm not sure he was forced out at all, that may be totally FALSE because I recall very well how miffed Mick and Keith and the band were because they were planning the 1975 Tour and were left with the complicated task of auditioning a ton of guitar players in a short span of time!! Taylor was showing signs of displeasure months before he announced he was leavng because he was sick of their material! Plus he was not allowed to contribute his own material. That is the story I believe, not that Keith wanted to play with Woodie!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 24, 2006 21:29

I also believe he was having a problem with nose candy and the general hedonistic lifestyle of the mid 70's stones. He didn't want to end up like Gram Parsons!

Date: January 24, 2006 21:33

Well, this is what I wrote in May 12, 2005; so that no one
blames me for spreadin the info on pushin out taylor for Woody:

QUOTE --------------

---"It remains open to debate whether or not he really DID quit the Stones. It's pretty well known that Keith wanted Woody in the band before Mick 'quit'. I think that like a lot of people who leave their jobs to 'pursue other' opportunities', Taylor was forced out in some sort of quit-or-be-fired deal for which he probably received some sort of compensation." (tatters)

Sounds reasonable, but "pretty well known" is maybe a little exaggerated. I´ve read at least some 25-30 books on the Stones during the latest year & this is seldom or never really investigated as I got it. ------------------------

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 24, 2006 21:49

I met MT in Paris in 1998. Interviewed him for a fanzine, was totally fine talking about the Stones. He did tell me he never got credit for Moonlight Mile. He didn't mention anything about GHS.
He signed a copy of Welcome to NY '72 and a vinyl of his 1979 solo album. He obliged for pictures with fans. Very nice guys.
I guess he just has good days and bad days like all of us.

Posted by: StonesinBucks ()
Date: January 25, 2006 04:24

Met MT numerous times when he played in the Philadelphia area. I was actually leaving and he was outside just standing there with his band as I was waiting to cross the street. I just said "hello Mick, great gig" to which he replied. He was polite and somewhat shy and I only mentioned the Stones in passing, what I did mention was some session work that he had done and he seemed surprised that I know of. Another time he was out of it, did not appear like he even wanted to play and then sat at the bar after the gig.

One thing that he did get a kick out of.......I told him that when I was in high school in the mid and late 70's I had a girlfriend who was into the Faces and Ronnie Wood and I was Taylor fan......and that we used to argue about who was better (teenage stuff!) he just laughed and "Ronnie is a very good friend of mine"

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 25, 2006 04:47

Mick T still has a cahnce to go out in a blaze of glory. He must get back The Stones in some fashion. The only people who know of him at all ar hardcore Stoens fans.

Next Stones concert you attend - do a little poll- ask 20 people "who is Mick Taylor?" Most won't have a clue. Those that do will be over 40yrs old.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 25, 2006 10:17

When I met Mick Taylor a few years ago I found him to be a rather shy person. In concert he degraded his fellow musicians to mere background players. But he desparatley needs musicians who can match his standards. Look at BB King. If you attend one of hins concerts you will not only see one of the greatest bluesmen of all time but you will be impressed by his crack band.

Date: January 25, 2006 10:30

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 15:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 25, 2006 10:31

bigfrankie Wrote:
> Mick T still has a cahnce to go out in a blaze of
> glory. He must get back The Stones in some
> fashion. The only people who know of him at all ar
> hardcore Stoens fans.
>
> Next Stones concert you attend - do a little poll-
> ask 20 people "who is Mick Taylor?" Most won't
> have a clue. Those that do will be over 40yrs
> old.

I say its rather this way: as many as know Ron Wood
know who Taylor is. All rock music enthusiasts.
We´re talkin second most famous group in the world here.

Posted by: charles wattage ()
Date: January 29, 2006 23:00

I saw Mick Taylor at the Trocadero in Philadelphia ,Pa,about 6 years ago or so.He seemed in a pretty good mood,played the end part of Can't you hear me knockin',Little Red Rooster.It was a short show,9 songs,mostly long Santana like jams.He was not unpleasant that I saw.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 29, 2006 23:05

This is not what I witnessed when I interviwed him for IORR magazine.He owes a lot to the Stones and admits it.He sees John Mayall as his mentor though.

Date: January 30, 2006 00:58

I saw mick at the South Bank Guitar "festival" in london in 05 where he answered questions about the stones period in his life. I think he sees it as it was/is. Five years in a life long career as a bloody good guitarist, big deal - period.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: January 30, 2006 04:48

tatters Wrote:
> georgeV Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He was very nice to me and a friend a few
> years
> > ago. After a show he let us come on the tour
> bus
> > and signed a Stones jacket for me. I asked
> him if
> > he minded first and he said he was fine with
> it.
> > It is displayed/framed proudly on my office
> wall!
> > He and his band were very friendly and
> chatted
> > about music and non-music stuff and were not
> > rushing us off the bus or anything. I found
> him
> > very accomodating and it was a real thrill.
> When I
> > think back to being a teenager and watching
> Ladies
> > and Gentleman and then chatting with him on
> his
> > tour bus it seemed surreal.
>
> At one gig I attended, after a particularly
> ferocious jam, someone yelled out "Yeah! Put yer
> leather jacket on!" The way Taylor's face fell,
> you would have thought someone had called for "(I
> Can't Get No) Satisfaction". Later, in the tour
> bus, there he was, sitting in the back, with a
> leather jacket over his head! He had, literally,
> put his leather jacket on .... but in such a way
> as to make any kind of interaction with his fans
> difficult to say the least!
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 05/12/05 20:41 by
> tatters.

what do you think leather jacket is about? As far as i know the Stones never put words to it, so the lyrics must all be by Mick T. At times is seems obviously about Mick and Marianne/Bianca/Keith(??) "You and your lady were the king and the queen/rock and roll circus was the best i've ever seen"., but then it could also be about Mick T. himself "put your leather jacket on, you know its time to be moving on"

Anyway i was wondering what all your thoughts or actual knowledge on the subject might be...

Date: August 15, 2014 15:31

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 18:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 15, 2014 15:37

This thread is almost 10 years old and need not be revived. The boss (bv) don't like it when you do that. Start a new thread, Drummer Boy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-15 16:10 by tatters.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 15, 2014 15:40

I think it's nice when people with real insight post. We shouldn't discourage that. Whether it's true or not is another question...

Posted by: Drummerboy ()
Date: August 15, 2014 15:42

Hi DandelionPowderman

No bittersweet sentiments - Just posting my experience. Not trying to put him down - I have the highest regard for MT. Only telling it like it was.

Posted by: Drummerboy ()
Date: August 15, 2014 15:45

Guess I broke the rules again.
Time to call it a day with this forum stuff.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1153
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home