Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Technical abilities of Ron Wood
Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 12:30

Hi,
Hope you're doing fine

Lots of people, fans and non-fans think that Ronnie is an average guitarist, especially compared to Mr Taylor Mick.
It may be true for some songs, studio and live stuff.

But for some others, I consider that Ronnie has shown very interesting technical abilities, especially on live material

at the moment, I'm listening to the L.A show, july 11th, 1975 and you should listen to numbers like That's Life and Outta Space and you will hear a quite unusual and excellent Ronnie.

Do you have other examples where Ron shows some interesting technical abilities ?

Re: Technical abilities of Ron Wood
Date: August 12, 2014 13:51

It's not wizardry, but more than technical enough to shut up people who says he is average smiling smiley

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 14:05

Ronnie Wood is One Of The BEST guitar player. He is awsome on B&B SG ER TY UC etc. His best tours are 1975/1976, 1978, 1981/82 IMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 14:05 by 1962.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: August 12, 2014 15:11

Ronnie is an AMAZING guitar player- fluid, creative, melodic, sympathetic and responsive. He adds so much colour and a beautiful natural feel to The Stones sound.
And the there is the Faces. Wow.
Possibly the most underrated guitarist in the history of rock n roll.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 15:20

jammingedward
Ronnie is an AMAZING guitar player- fluid, creative, melodic, sympathetic and responsive. He adds so much colour and a beautiful natural feel to The Stones sound.

+1

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 12, 2014 15:20

Talking Technical abilities of Ron Wood as a rough rock-guitarist he is a 10/10 in my world...together with Keith of course...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 12, 2014 15:59

I don't think he's average at all. I think he has his own style, most apparent in his work with Rod/Faces and on stuff like Hey Negrita, and much of the Some Girls album. I don't think criticisms of Wood here have really been about his technical prowess.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 12, 2014 16:09

and an xcellent mime as evidenced here- his sound with the Faces was much dirtier and crunchier- understandable in the Faces one guitar context....

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 12, 2014 16:17

Ronnie is a lot like Steve Cropper- a songwriter, soulful, with a lot of humor in his playing, a great accompanist, and when he wants, a very creative soloist. Very capable as a producer in the studio.

He may not be the greatest singer but he does all right.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: August 12, 2014 17:22

duke richardson
Ronnie is a lot like Steve Cropper- a songwriter, soulful, with a lot of humor in his playing, a great accompanist, and when he wants, a very creative soloist. Very capable as a producer in the studio.

a ridiculous delusional statement, with the stones his imput on record is a minor role, his input live is to replicate the majority of guitar parts already done (and carry Keith fairly often). he aint fit to wipe Cropper's boots - cropper is an innovator, co-wrote some outstanding material and had a key role in one of the greatest house bands ever. Ronnie mainly comes into his own when playing live and covering Keith's ass

Date: August 12, 2014 17:26

Captainchaos
duke richardson

a ridiculous delusional statement, with the stones his imput on record is a minor role, his input live is to replicate the majority of guitar parts already done (and carry Keith fairly often). he aint fit to wipe Cropper's boots - cropper is an innovator, co-wrote some outstanding material and had a key role in one of the greatest house bands ever. Ronnie mainly comes into his own when playing live and covering Keith's ass

Actually not, since Steve has a very minimalistic playing style, and rarely goes for lengthy fluid "story-telling" solos.

If you listen to the Jimmy Reed blues shows Ronnie did with Taylor, you'll find that the comparison is valid.

Posted by: OCarol ()
Date: August 12, 2014 17:40

The guitar work he did with the Faces was very innovative. His solo albums have some very nice guitar work, as well as some very clever lyrics! With the Stones there are some songs he's done some great work on, but for the most part I think he's been under utilized... and I've never understood why!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 17:43 by OCarol.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 17:44

agree with you OCarol.

Date: August 12, 2014 17:54

DandelionPowderman
Captainchaos
duke richardson

Actually not, since Steve has a very minimalistic playing style, and rarely goes for lengthy fluid "story-telling" solos.

If you listen to the Jimmy Reed blues shows Ronnie did with Taylor, you'll find that the comparison is valid.

hmmm- I see captainchaos is a Steve Cropper fan, as I am.

Thank You, DP- you're a pro and I respect your input.

to the captain- cropper is an innovator, co-wrote some outstanding material and had a key role in one of the greatest house bands ever

if you don't see that this could apply equally to Ronnie Wood, except Ronnie hasn't played in a 'house band', like the Stax players) ...then we agree to disagree but no, I'm not delusional.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 12, 2014 17:58

Listen to Heartbreaker on LA Friday 75 ... of course it is about 40 years ago, but it is Ronnie ...

Date: August 12, 2014 18:26

duke richardson
DandelionPowderman
Captainchaos
duke richardson

hmmm- I see captainchaos is a Steve Cropper fan, as I am.

Thank You, DP- you're a pro and I respect your input.

to the captain- cropper is an innovator, co-wrote some outstanding material and had a key role in one of the greatest house bands ever

if you don't see that this could apply equally to Ronnie Wood, except Ronnie hasn't played in a 'house band', like the Stax players) ...then we agree to disagree but no, I'm not delusional.

to imitate, is not to innovate - the sheer volume of top notch songs he's co-wrote when compared to Ronnie Wood is a massive mismatch. The stylistic leanings in the natural playing also shows a missmatch, the idea of carrying lead whilst playing rytham as the sole guitarist and comparing to ronnie, well..
The technique, flair, restraint and execution Cropper has shown with the MG's and also on other material - Ronnie has no match for this. sure he can immitate players wooo. To be creative and have that creative thought executed as cropper did is no way the same as imitating someone by playin covers. whats better, the original concept and execution or just the replication.

Date: August 12, 2014 18:29

Ronnie is a good player, not a creative player and does his job of holding the stones together on stage. when asked to be creative, instinctive he gets shown up by better players (ie Taylor) anyhow thats a dif discussion..

Ronnie's good and plays well but he aint by anyway a Steve Cropper.

Date: August 12, 2014 19:11

I'll agree that Steve Cropper has written or co-written a long list of great songs. No argument that he's one of the best. As a guitarist I think Ronnie Wood's playing, as immediately identifiable as Cropper's, hold up solo, with the Faces, and with the Rolling Stones, as a sideman or a leader.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:06

Listen to Rod Stewart's early work. Ron IS the guitar and is as essential as Rod's voice. Maybe he doesn't totally get to flex his muscles with the Stones in the studio, but he usually does live and he's just an all around great guitarist.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 12, 2014 20:36

He is a good player, but something happened to him when he joined the Stones. I don't know if it was by design or not to show up Keith, but there was no longer even remotely a separation between lead and rhythm guitars. The Stones lost tons of fans as they moved away from the hard rock sound during the Taylor years to the ancient weaving crap that they claim to play since.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 12, 2014 22:58

He has sausages for fingers.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 12, 2014 22:59

Pietro
He has sausages for fingers.

That would be Keef???

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 12, 2014 23:19

He had some good chops and raunch from the beginning. He could have been playing with the Stones in 1965.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 23:51

He was brilliant at the Atlantic City show a few years ago

Date: August 12, 2014 23:53

I suspect many here don't know what Ronnie did on the Rod Stewart/Faces-albums.

That is not imitating. Please name other players with a similar style.

Posted by: sodapop ()
Date: August 13, 2014 00:17

He's good in the context of the Stones. He's a clichéd rock guitar player (as far as technical ability). I've transcribed many of his solos - and it's 99% pentatonic rock scale patterns - and NOT very rhythmically dynamic---rather sloppy if I say so myself---particularly his live stuff. But, he also happens to be in one of the biggest rock bands the world has known. Not many guys can do that. But if he were just some joe schmoe playing weekends - he'd be pretty average and he would find most guys/gals could play circles around him.

I would agree with some of the previous remarks - his playing with the Faces was much better.

Date: August 13, 2014 00:23

Everybody has been a Joe Schmoe. You're talking about solos. What he did in the Faces was unique. His best solos were probably with the Stones on the 75/76-tours.

Date: August 13, 2014 00:43

DandelionPowderman
Everybody has been a Joe Schmoe. You're talking about solos. What he did in the Faces was unique. His best solos were probably with the Stones on the 75/76-tours.

Ah, now you've done it. I couldn't disagree more with your last sentence.

Indispensible with Rod though.

Date: August 13, 2014 00:59

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I didn't say his best guitar playing. I said his best solos smiling smiley

He didn't play a lot of extended solos in the Faces or with Rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-13 01:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 13, 2014 05:22

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I didn't say his best guitar playing. I said his best solos smiling smiley

He didn't play a lot of extended solos in the Faces or with Rod.

True that.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1481
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home