Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Exile named # 3 Best Double LP of All Time
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 13, 2014 22:56

MKjan
The Beatles win on hype.
The Stones win on music.

I've just listened to The White Album one more time and I think it's musically better than Exile, as much as I love Exile.

Date: January 13, 2014 23:09

The best stuff on Beatles albums is hard to top - for any band.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 14, 2014 00:08

kleermaker
MKjan
The Beatles win on hype.
The Stones win on music.

I've just listened to The White Album one more time and I think it's musically better than Exile, as much as I love Exile.

Not even close. Exile best by miles and miles

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 14, 2014 00:39

...and nobody mentioned the one that absolutely should be Number 1 on that list...

...Wheels Of Fire (Cream)

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: January 14, 2014 01:13

First, live albums and greatest hits should not be included. Second, this appears to now be a White Album vs Exile thread. So, here is my opinion. Exile is better than the White Album. Take the top 10 tracks or 50% of the tracks you like from both albums and compare. Listen just to those to eliminate filler. I just don't think the best of the White Album is > than the best of Exike. I'm definitely sure the filler on Exile is > filler on White Album. Someone else posted it's simply solo songs of the Beatles collected. I agree and one can tell.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 14, 2014 01:50

Because of piggies and Number 9, Exile OMS is better.........

Date: January 14, 2014 02:18

No, no, no, it's The White Album, without any doubt. Listen to it without disruption and then to Exile. Then Exile seems a bit ... one dimensional. Only a bit, but it does miss the musical richness The White Album has. The Stones' best album is Sticky Fingers. I've always loved Exile, from the very beginning and still do, but it's clearly overrated now as much as it was underrated by most after its release. It's legendary for sure, but it falls something short. And besides it IS short! Its best side (side 4) not even lasts 17 minutes. Shine A Light is its best song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2014 02:45

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 14, 2014 03:34

kleermaker
No, no, no, it's The White Album, without any doubt. Listen to it without disruption and then to Exile. Then Exile seems a bit ... one dimensional. Only a bit, but it does miss the musical richness The White Album has. The Stones' best album is Sticky Fingers. I've always loved Exile, from the very beginning and still do, but it's clearly overrated now as much as it was underrated by most after its release. It's legendary for sure, but it falls something short. And besides it IS short! Its best side (side 4) not even lasts 17 minutes. Shine A Light is its best song.

[www.thewhitealbumproject.com]

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: January 14, 2014 03:38

best double album ever is goodbye yellowbrick road,not even a close 2nd.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: January 14, 2014 03:49

kleermaker
MKjan
The Beatles win on hype.
The Stones win on music.

Conversely, I don't think Exile dips at all.......the White Album has some lows.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: January 14, 2014 03:57

Due to this thread I went back to Waiting for Columbus. One of those albums for which there is just no substitute.

Tusk is a goodun too.

Date: January 14, 2014 09:50

Thrylan
kleermaker
MKjan
The Beatles win on hype.
The Stones win on music.

Conversely, I don't think Exile dips at all.......the White Album has some lows.

+1 - Some incredible highs AND some obvious lows.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 14, 2014 10:23

White album is the best one.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: January 14, 2014 14:28

Beatles fans, miserable since 1970, do not have anything better to do than to go to Stones web sites and try to make Stones fans miserable too.

Date: January 14, 2014 14:32

smiling smiley

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 14, 2014 14:39

Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out!
Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I / Use Your Illusion II

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: January 14, 2014 14:57

walkingthedog
Beatles fans, miserable since 1970, do not have anything better to do than to go to Stones web sites and try to make Stones fans miserable too.
Right!!? Why don't they just go to a Beatles site? Frustration it is! They KNOW the Stones are better plus they "got nothing"

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 14, 2014 15:36

I'm probably a slightly bigger Beatles fan than Stones fan but I would agree the White album isn't even near the top of the Beatles best and is largely a collection of solo tunes with the others sparingly playing backup on them, where Exile is a cohesive band project by a band at their peak. I find it hard not to give the nod to Exile.

Date: January 14, 2014 15:42

kovach
I'm probably a slightly bigger Beatles fan than Stones fan but I would agree the White album isn't even near the top of the Beatles best and is largely a collection of solo tunes with the others sparingly playing backup on them, where Exile is a cohesive band project by a band at their peak. I find it hard not to give the nod to Exile.

+1 (except the "slightly bigger Beatles fan-part" ) winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-14 15:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 14, 2014 15:56

michaelsavage
walkingthedog
Right!!? Why don't they just go to a Beatles site? Frustration it is! They KNOW the Stones are better plus they "got nothing"

Plain nonsense, I've never been a Beatlesfan and a Stonesfan (63-74) since decades, almost all my life. I discovered The White Album only some months ago. I grew up during the Beatles and Stones era, but the Stones did attract me more. But I have to be fair in my judgement and then there's no other conclusion than the one I pulled. I'm sorry for Stonesfans who don't like that.

Date: January 14, 2014 16:51

kleermaker
michaelsavage
walkingthedog

Plain nonsense, I've never been a Beatlesfan and a Stonesfan (63-74) since decades, almost all my life. I discovered The White Album only some months ago. I grew up during the Beatles and Stones era, but the Stones did attract me more. But I have to be fair in my judgement and then there's no other conclusion than the one I pulled. I'm sorry for Stonesfans who don't like that.

I grew up in this era too and as opposed to you listened to both The Beatles and The Stones. I have to be fair in my judgement too and then there's no other conclusion than the one I pulled. In fact, the White Album was the first Beatles album that really disappointed me and the first one I did not buy.(Taped it from a friend,though.) As some people have said here, it is a recording of solo material and does contain some songs I find horrible, Ob-la-di one of them. I also find Back In The USSR highly derivative. It is beyond me that a Stones fan can prefer this to Rocks off, which is truly magnificient. I must be fair and say that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-14 17:00 by walkingthedog.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 14, 2014 17:11

A lower number of listenings, all other factors taken to be equal (so far as they would be), make for a fresher impact.

Date: January 14, 2014 17:32

walkingthedog
kleermaker
michaelsavage
walkingthedog

I grew up in this era too and as opposed to you listened to both The Beatles and The Stones. I have to be fair in my judgement too and then there's no other conclusion than the one I pulled. In fact, the White Album was the first Beatles album that really disappointed me and the first one I did not buy.(Taped it from a friend,though.) As some people have said here, it is a recording of solo material and does contain some songs I find horrible, Ob-la-di one of them. I also find Back In The USSR highly derivative. It is beyond me that a Stones fan can prefer this to Rocks off, which is truly magnificient. I must be fair and say that.

I don't think TWA consists of solo projects only. Some parts, yes, but that isn't a problem. On most tracks the whole band is involved. I agree that it takes a somewhat different attitude to really enjoy it, but to me it's the best work the Beatles did, however perfect Abbey Road for instance may be (and certainly a group work).

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 14, 2014 19:44

michaelsavage
walkingthedog

the Stones and Beatles liked each other, why can't we like both?

A bit of apples and oranges in my opinion though as I see the Beatles more pop and the Stones rock.

I think most on here are just music fans that put the Stones at the top of the heap; but don't listen to them exclusively.

Date: January 14, 2014 19:49

All in all I think Exile deserves a second place, although I have to admit that I don't know all the others. In my limited book it's The White Album, followed by Exile and then Tommy of the Who.

Date: January 14, 2014 21:12

kovach
michaelsavage
walkingthedog

A bit of apples and oranges in my opinion though as I see the Beatles more pop and the Stones rock.

I think most on here are just music fans that put the Stones at the top of the heap; but don't listen to them exclusively.

I do like both, but I like The Stones much more than The Beatles. I also listen to lots of other stuff. I have around 3000 LPs/CDs, 100 of which are by The Stones. But I find it extremely annoying when people on this site write things like "The Beatles are the best, hands down", and actually somewhat offensive too. I would never go to a Beatles site and say something like that about The Stones.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 14, 2014 21:20

kleermaker
... to me it's the best work the Beatles did, however perfect Abbey Road for instance may be (and certainly a group work).

thumbs up Yes and yes.

Date: January 14, 2014 21:36

Revolver is my favourite. Strawberry Fields is my favourite song thumbs up

Date: January 14, 2014 22:20

walkingthedog
kovach
michaelsavage
walkingthedog

I do like both, but I like The Stones much more than The Beatles. I also listen to lots of other stuff. I have around 3000 LPs/CDs, 100 of which are by The Stones. But I find it extremely annoying when people on this site write things like "The Beatles are the best, hands down", and actually somewhat offensive too. I would never go to a Beatles site and say something like that about The Stones.

I don't write that.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home