Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Howard Stern on Hyde Park
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 8, 2014 19:16

The only thing that puzzles me is, why should you be interested, concerned, worried or whatever, about how Howard Stern thinks about your favorite band.

Edit: Actually I should have posted: The only thing that puzzles me is, why should you be interested, concerned, worried or whatever, about how Anybody thinks about your favorite band.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-08 19:17 by Rolling Hansie.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 8, 2014 19:59

24FPS
KOVACH mentioned hardcore fans wanting to hear Satanic Majesties in its entirety at a concert. That's ridiculous. But how about a serious go at She's A Rainbow? An acoustic stab at Backstreet Girl? Heaven? Parachute Woman for something more electric guitar driven? There's all kinds of rarely or never played goodies to stick in there instead of the yawn inducing Tumbling Dice, or Sympathy For The Devil.

I was just using an extreme (yes, ridiculous) example to make a point. But I bet there's at least 1 person out there that would be thrilled with the prospect.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-08 20:00 by kovach.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 8, 2014 20:06

Howard once said he hates brass on rock n roll. (Sorry, but I love the horns on ROCKS OFF, just to name one Stones song.)

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 8, 2014 20:13

Title5Take1
Howard once said he hates brass on rock n roll. (Sorry, but I love the horns on ROCKS OFF, just to name one Stones song.)

I do too. And on "I Got the Blues" and "Happy".

Not to get OT but I like the old Chicago stuff too up until Terry Kath died.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 8, 2014 22:54

DeanGoodman

At any rate his musical prowess overall is iffy. Baba Booey rushed into the studio to say that Robert Palmer had died, and Howard said, "The guy from Led Zeppelin?"

And his championing of Enuffz Enuff was a lonely crusade. Not to mention the Jesus Twins and the Stuttering John album.

I'm sure he loved Dread Zeppelin in the early 90's... grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 8, 2014 23:25

Howard is very good in interviews like on Letterman for example. Sharp, highly intelligent, bold and always entertaining. But his radio show mostly reminds me of a freak show...

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 8, 2014 23:35

dcba
DeanGoodman

At any rate his musical prowess overall is iffy. Baba Booey rushed into the studio to say that Robert Palmer had died, and Howard said, "The guy from Led Zeppelin?"

And his championing of Enuffz Enuff was a lonely crusade. Not to mention the Jesus Twins and the Stuttering John album.

I'm sure he loved Dread Zeppelin in the early 90's... grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 9, 2014 00:37

kovach
Title5Take1

To an extent, I know what he means. He just wants rock guitars, a bass, and drums. And thats always great. Thats exactly what I'd say too. You can't not love something like Jumpin Jack Flash that is just pounding rock with those core instruments. Its a generalization, but I see what he means.

However, as you've stated, oddly enough some of my favorite Stones songs are the ones with horns, I Got The Blues especially and Rocks Off being two of my absolute perfect Stones tracks.

Posted by: drjay ()
Date: January 9, 2014 03:26

Howard's musical taste is terrible.He is a great interviewer and entertaining ,but i don't give much weight to his musical preference or opinion

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 9, 2014 03:39

kovach
24FPS
KOVACH mentioned hardcore fans wanting to hear Satanic Majesties in its entirety at a concert. That's ridiculous. But how about a serious go at She's A Rainbow? An acoustic stab at Backstreet Girl? Heaven? Parachute Woman for something more electric guitar driven? There's all kinds of rarely or never played goodies to stick in there instead of the yawn inducing Tumbling Dice, or Sympathy For The Devil.

I was just using an extreme (yes, ridiculous) example to make a point. But I bet there's at least 1 person out there that would be thrilled with the prospect.grinning smiley

Hello. smoking smiley

Date: January 9, 2014 06:37

DeanGoodman
Howard's a casual Stones fan at best. I remember he saw the Licks show in New Jersey, which was around the same time as a Paul McCartney show in the area. He raved about Macca, and was neutral on the Stones. He's driven by visuals (especially lesbian strippers), so obviously Charlie and Bill aren't as sexy as, say, Dave Grohl and Robert Trujillo, respectively.

lonely crusade? first off enuff znuff are a great band. should have been the next cheap trick.

second several other big names were trying to get enuff znuff recognition including robert plant, paul mccartney, david letterman,clive davis and cheap trick who all get a thank you in several of the bands cd liner notes for their support of the band.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: January 9, 2014 06:43

Who that knows the Stones really gives a shit what Howard Stern says?

Date: January 9, 2014 06:46

Hey lets face the truth painfull as it might be for a whole lot of us ok? The Stones are done. They no longer matter and neither do their fans.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2014 07:15

reg thorpe
This is from a man who loves "Eminence Front" by The Who which is basically an electronic track

Nothing wrong with Eminence Front. Last really good song they did.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2014 07:18

RollingFreak
kovach
Title5Take1

To an extent, I know what he means. He just wants rock guitars, a bass, and drums. And thats always great. Thats exactly what I'd say too. You can't not love something like Jumpin Jack Flash that is just pounding rock with those core instruments. Its a generalization, but I see what he means.

However, as you've stated, oddly enough some of my favorite Stones songs are the ones with horns, I Got The Blues especially and Rocks Off being two of my absolute perfect Stones tracks.

Have You Seen Your Mother Baby...that's another excellent example.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 11, 2014 01:56

Finally I heard the segment on Sirius/Xm radio when Howard mentions the concert "Sweet Summer Sun" that he watched on showtime. I was surprised that he liked it that much; good for him. Yes he cracked a couple of jokes but he was very happy and blown away by the Rolling Stones's performance on stage in Hyde Park.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 11, 2014 02:09

rob51
Hey lets face the truth painfull as it might be for a whole lot of us ok? The Stones are done. They no longer matter and neither do their fans.

So you're here why?

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 11, 2014 02:33

flilflam
I nearly threw up listening to Howard Stern just talk about seeing the Hyde Park concert on Showtime over the holidays. He sounded exactly like the average fan Mick Jagger must be painfully aware of. Howard said the setlist was fantastic, with hit after hit. Howard has said in the past he hates it when groups play anything but their most known songs. He went on to say it was great that they replaced Bill Wyman with that black dude on bass because, "He blows Bill Wyman off the stage."

He said he didn't like Charlie Watts as a drummer because he's dull and doesn't do anything, and that the biggest drag was former Stones Mick Taylor soloing too long on the song he played on.

Sigh. I guess it's just a sad truth that Jagger cynically understands. The suckers want flash and hits and they have deep pockets if you give them just that. I like Howard in general but that was the most depressing review I've ever heard, and the most truthful summation by a casual fan.

I agree with most everything he said, but especially the long and boring never-ending solos by Mick Taylor. They just went on and on and on. Keith was really on fire on most of the numbers, such as It's Only Rock and Roll.

First of all I would like to say that 24FPS's original analysis of Mr. Stern's comments was among one of the most intelligent commentaries on the difference between the casual fan and the hardcore fan and Mick Jagger's understanding of that dynamic I've ever read.

Secondly, I agree that Mick Taylor's solos went on a long time. However, I love his sound. I think it is the most lovely and sonorous sound to ever come out of The Rolling Stones. I think The current Rolling Stones love that sound too. I should also note that while I love Taylor's sound, it does not always fit in with other bands. Taylor's stint with Bob Dylan in 1984, for example, I find relatively unrewarding.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: January 11, 2014 02:44

rob51

The truth is only painful if you want it to be.

The Stones are Done ? Done what ? - They No longer Matter - To Who or What ? - Their Fans will always matter. The Stones music will never die. I listen to their CD's as most people on this board do. now what's your point.?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-11 02:46 by Tonstone.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 11, 2014 02:46

Hey, Aqua. I'm not Rob's defense lawyer but there is an element of truth in his statement. Even though it might hurt. The music of The Rolling Stones doesn't matter the way it used to do. They haven't really produced any innovative or significant music for quite some decades now. Their future is very much behind them (not financially though), so to speak. You can like the band bearing that in mind also. You don't have to like everything they do.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 11, 2014 03:02

is there a link to the clip?

Date: January 11, 2014 03:05

Stoneage
Hey, Aqua. I'm not Rob's defense lawyer but there is an element of truth in his statement. Even though it might hurt. The music of The Rolling Stones doesn't matter the way it used to do. They haven't really produced any innovative or significant music for quite some decades now. Their future is very much behind them (not financially though), so to speak. You can like the band bearing that in mind also. You don't have to like everything they do.

Is this not a case of choice of words ? to say the Stones do not matter-I could not agree, but If we are saying that modern day Stones are not relevant then of course this is not 1972.Then matter and relevant become two different topics.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 11, 2014 03:06

If we're back to music having to be "relevant," whatever that means, I'm bailing out! (Why do people go to shows or listen to music? Because in some sense it matters to them, they get some pleasure out of it. Millions of people listen to the Stones and/or go to their shows, therefore the Stones matter. Have they contributed to any new movement in rock music lately? No. Does that "matter"? Not to me! I enjoy listening to other bands who are more innovative, but the Stones' music matters like hell to me and to millions of others just because it's good music. That's all!)

P.S. Tonstone and I posted at the same time, and I agree about the use of the different words, my beef being that bands are always accused of not being relevant without anybody ever defining what they're supposed to be relevant to, and why it's so important. *gets off soapbox*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-11 03:11 by Aquamarine.

Date: January 11, 2014 03:23

Aquamarine
If we're back to music having to be "relevant," whatever that means, I'm bailing out! (Why do people go to shows or listen to music? Because in some sense it matters to them, they get some pleasure out of it. Millions of people listen to the Stones and/or go to their shows, therefore the Stones matter. Have they contributed to any new movement in rock music lately? No. Does that "matter"? Not to me! I enjoy listening to other bands who are more innovative, but the Stones' music matters like hell to me and to millions of others just because it's good music. That's all!)

P.S. Tonstone and I posted at the same time, and I agree about the use of the different words, my beef being that bands are always accused of not being relevant without anybody ever defining what they're supposed to be relevant to, and why it's so important. *gets off soapbox*

Hey Aqua you make a valid point - Music? it is simple- you either like what your ear picks up - matter or relevant does not make the ear hear any different. Can it be that simple?- Keep on that soapbox discussion is healthy.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 11, 2014 04:08

Speaking of so-called "relevance"....

In the 90s the young and trendy hip and grungy were fond of proclaiming how the Stones were not relevant.

Now the 90s are gone, and the Stones remain.

Ahem. How relevant are Pearl Jam these days? Now "Beck" is covering John Lennon for a new Starbucks CD compilation. And, of course, heard anything new and relevant from the Creaming Cheese--uh, I mean, the Screaming Trees lately?

So these "relevant" new bands of today, they're going to reinvent the wheel, eh? Can't wait--to see their typical middle-aged oldies audience come 20 years....

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: January 11, 2014 04:16

StonedInTokyo
Howard and The Rolling Stones are both wildly successful because they speak the truth and they give the vast majority of people what they paid to see and hear.

Hit after hit is a fantastic set list for 95% of the paying public. That is the truth, and after 50 years those 5% of anoraks in the audience should know what to expect by now. So the public isn't laying out big $$$ to hear that b-side of Emotional Rescue or whatever it is you seem to feel is lacking. Who cares. Go home and listen to it on one of your 750 bootlegs.

By the way, the non-stop bitching that occurs on this fan forum is astonishing.

Insufferable.
best post ever.

Date: January 11, 2014 04:46

So who really cares what Howard Steerns opinions on anything are anymore? And compared to alot of flashier drummers Charlie is kinda boring to the casual observer no doubt. True fans never wanted a Keith Moon style player for our favorite band though and even old boring Bill Wyman was just fine with us for oh so many years. The guy doesn't get it.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 11, 2014 06:12

Howard S is a turd.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home