Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: OT: American-English Spelling
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 17, 2014 19:44

2000 LYFH
latebloomer
Big Al
Natlanta
in England, is it souccer or soccour?

The latter, though we tend to call it 'football'

That makes more sense, since you kick the ball with your foot for almost all of the game. I've never really gotten why we call the gladiator sport we have here football, but I can't think of a better word. It's really all about moving the ball down the field in whatever way is permissible, short of murdering your opponent.

Well I could be wrong, but I think they named the sport football because they play it with a .... football! smoking smiley

That's not a football, that's a rugby ball........and it's called that 'cos you play it with your rugbies .....grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-17 20:01 by EddieByword.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 17, 2014 20:34

kleermaker
latebloomer
kleermaker
latebloomer
kleermaker
mr_dja
kleermaker
latebloomer
The History section (esp. Early History & Evolution sections) does a pretty good job explaining why a game which today doesn't put much emphasis on "the foot" is called football. For those who don't want to click the link, in summary: The current game doesn't much resemble the game when it started in the late 1800's. Although the way the game is played changed dramaticly over the past 150 years, the name never did.

Interesting how much the game has changed. Thanks for the history link, MR. DJA. smileys with beer

Well, this seems to be a little bit off topic, ain't it? Besides it's a bit weird to read Americans explain the noble sport of soccer.

Apologies for getting off topic. Note: The link I posted is for American Football NOT soccer at an international website. Maybe next time you should click the link and see if it actually gives you cause to insult Americans before doing so.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I seem to have mistaken football for soccer. Is that insulting Americans? I don't think so. But if so I am more than willing to apologize to all who feel insulted. Beware: apologize with a z and not an s, to spell the word properly.

Partly my fault for going off topic, but the whole thread is off topic, isn't it? Anyway, it's too late to apologize, Mr. Kleermaker....grinning smiley

It's never too late to apologize Bloomer, but as for me you never have to apologize. I simply never feel insulted by no one. smiling smiley

I'm much the same way. I come from eccentric stock, so there aren't many people that truly bother me.

But, I was making a stupid reference to the song, Kleerie, hence the emoticon. I should have included it, so here it is...

Haha, that's really funny Bloomer! I didn't know that song, as you've understood. Also funny that we have something in common. Never let 'em trigger you. winking smiley

Yes, the only thing that really fires me up is when someone is unkind. The rest can often be put down to misunderstanding, miscommunication...easy to do on an international site, especially where many members aren't native English speakers. But, I think you have ruffled our peace-loving Mr. DJA, so ironic or not, I would say generalizations about nationalities should usually be avoided. But, then where you come from, maybe it's a common practice...a little sarcasm, a little irony..now let's watch the fireworks begin. grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 17, 2014 20:35

EddieByword
2000 LYFH
latebloomer
Big Al
Natlanta

That makes more sense, since you kick the ball with your foot for almost all of the game. I've never really gotten why we call the gladiator sport we have here football, but I can't think of a better word. It's really all about moving the ball down the field in whatever way is permissible, short of murdering your opponent.

Well I could be wrong, but I think they named the sport football because they play it with a .... football! smoking smiley

That's not a football, that's a rugby ball........and it's called that 'cos you play it with your rugbies .....grinning smiley

What do you mean a Rugby ball! That's a football because that's the ball they use when they play .... football!tongue sticking out smiley Ask anyone (except Rockman) ....

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 17, 2014 20:45

latebloomer
kleermaker
latebloomer
kleermaker
latebloomer
kleermaker
mr_dja
kleermaker
latebloomer
The History section (esp. Early History & Evolution sections) does a pretty good job explaining why a game which today doesn't put much emphasis on "the foot" is called football. For those who don't want to click the link, in summary: The current game doesn't much resemble the game when it started in the late 1800's. Although the way the game is played changed dramaticly over the past 150 years, the name never did.

Interesting how much the game has changed. Thanks for the history link, MR. DJA. smileys with beer

Well, this seems to be a little bit off topic, ain't it? Besides it's a bit weird to read Americans explain the noble sport of soccer.

Apologies for getting off topic. Note: The link I posted is for American Football NOT soccer at an international website. Maybe next time you should click the link and see if it actually gives you cause to insult Americans before doing so.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I seem to have mistaken football for soccer. Is that insulting Americans? I don't think so. But if so I am more than willing to apologize to all who feel insulted. Beware: apologize with a z and not an s, to spell the word properly.

Partly my fault for going off topic, but the whole thread is off topic, isn't it? Anyway, it's too late to apologize, Mr. Kleermaker....grinning smiley

It's never too late to apologize Bloomer, but as for me you never have to apologize. I simply never feel insulted by no one. smiling smiley

I'm much the same way. I come from eccentric stock, so there aren't many people that truly bother me.

But, I was making a stupid reference to the song, Kleerie, hence the emoticon. I should have included it, so here it is...

Haha, that's really funny Bloomer! I didn't know that song, as you've understood. Also funny that we have something in common. Never let 'em trigger you. winking smiley

Yes, the only thing that really fires me up is when someone is unkind. The rest can often be put down to misunderstanding, miscommunication...easy to do on an international site, especially where many members aren't native English speakers. But, I think you have ruffled our peace-loving Mr. DJA, so ironic or not, I would say generalizations about nationalities should usually be avoided. But, then where you come from, maybe it's a common practice...a little sarcasm, a little irony..now let's watch the fireworks begin. grinning smiley

I don't believe in nationalities. It's unnatural and unhealthy and above all, artificial. If there are any dividing lines between people, they're not of a national nature, not even of a linguistic nature. It's more in the spelling nature. cool smiley

Date: January 17, 2014 20:45

2000 LYFH
EddieByword
2000 LYFH
latebloomer
Big Al
Natlanta

What do you mean a Rugby ball! That's a football because that's the ball they use when they play .... football!tongue sticking out smiley Ask anyone (except Rockman) ....

Well then the question is, which came first...the name of the ball or the name if the game?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 17, 2014 20:53

2000 LYFH
EddieByword
2000 LYFH
latebloomer
Big Al
Natlanta

I get your point, he's Australian and they play Aussie Rules... football?......that's not sport, that's war..............eye popping smiley

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: January 17, 2014 21:49

No ,, Sorry

Date: January 18, 2014 00:28

Since we're hopelessly off topic here anyhow, here's another fun quiz to see what city you should actually live in. I got London...lucky for me, since I am a typical American who only speaks English.

[www.buzzfeed.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 18, 2014 01:13

latebloomer
Since we're hopelessly off topic here anyhow, here's another fun quiz to see what city you should actually live in. I got London...lucky for me, since I am a typical American who only speaks English.

[www.buzzfeed.com]

Why London Bloomer? Do you speak cockney? Or do you have an English accent and can't we identify you as an American girl by your pronunciation? If so I would die to hear you talk! Big chance I would fall in love with you immediately.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home