Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: American-English Spelling
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 16, 2014 19:17

Big Al
Yep, that's right, Deltics. See? The British Isles are pretty confusing! Add to that, the fact that Britain has a bit of an identity crisis at times, as well. Some say they're 'English', others are solely 'British', etc. Is it OK to be patriotic? Good Lord!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 16, 2014 19:38

Green Lady
Besides the basic location for accents in the UK, you have to add in the question of class. For years and years it was accepted that to get a good job you needed to lose as much as possible of your local working-class accent, whatever it was, and learn BBC English. All schools tried to iron out the regional differences. The upper classes also have a nationwide region-independent accent of their own - think of how the Queen speaks. However, from the 1960s onwards it became fashionable to be proud of your working-class roots and show them off, and some people who had lost, or never had, a working-class accent deliberately adopted one - which is part of the reason that Mick speaks the way he does - Aw-right?

Mick has an accent of his own. But listen to the London 1973 bootlegs, there he's a cockney.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 16, 2014 19:45

kleermaker
Green Lady
Besides the basic location for accents in the UK, you have to add in the question of class. For years and years it was accepted that to get a good job you needed to lose as much as possible of your local working-class accent, whatever it was, and learn BBC English. All schools tried to iron out the regional differences. The upper classes also have a nationwide region-independent accent of their own - think of how the Queen speaks. However, from the 1960s onwards it became fashionable to be proud of your working-class roots and show them off, and some people who had lost, or never had, a working-class accent deliberately adopted one - which is part of the reason that Mick speaks the way he does - Aw-right?

Mick has an accent of his own. But listen to the London 1973 bootlegs, there he's a cockney.

But if you listen to the World in Action interview, July 1967 he sounds like Little Lord Fauntleroy........likewise before the Hyde Park '69 gig when in the car with Marianne Faithful......

By 1981 US tour he's forgotten he's from England at all..........smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-16 19:47 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 16, 2014 19:55

I think Jagger has a fairly neutral accent and way of talking. The 'mockney' nonsense thankfully faded away sometime in the 80's. Perhaps he'd been hanging around with Steve Marriott!

A genuine east London accent :-

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 16, 2014 19:57

in England, is it souccer or soccour?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 16, 2014 20:01

Natlanta

The latter, though we tend to call it 'football'

Date: January 16, 2014 20:09

I like John Lennon's accent. Very British winking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 16, 2014 20:26

Big Al
Natlanta

That makes more sense, since you kick the ball with your foot for almost all of the game. I've never really gotten why we call the gladiator sport we have here football, but I can't think of a better word. It's really all about moving the ball down the field in whatever way is permissible, short of murdering your opponent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-16 20:26 by latebloomer.

Date: January 16, 2014 20:30

latebloomer
Big Al
Natlanta

That makes more sense, since you kick the ball with your foot for almost all of the game. I've never really gotten why we call the gladiator sport we have here football, but I can't think of a better word. It's really all about moving the ball down the field in whatever way is permissible, short of murdering your opponent.

Handball was taken? winking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 16, 2014 20:36

latebloomer
Big Al
Natlanta

I say Smithers, after brekkers are we playing soccer or rugger?
(I say Smith, after breakfast are we playing Association Football or Rugby Football?)
[uponmyword.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-16 20:43 by Deltics.

Date: January 16, 2014 21:05

DandelionPowderman
latebloomer
Big Al
Natlanta

But players also kick the ball or throw it. But, getting a bit off topic here and I'm not the one to ask about American football anyhow, I barely understand the rules, which is embarrassing because my son plays for his high school team. I just watch hoping that he does well with what he's supposed to do and pray that he doesn't get his head bashed in.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 16, 2014 22:19

latebloomer
DandelionPowderman
latebloomer
Big Al
Natlanta

But players also kick the ball or throw it. But, getting a bit off topic here and I'm not the one to ask about American football anyhow, I barely understand the rules, which is embarrassing because my son plays for his high school team. I just watch hoping that he does well with what he's supposed to do and pray that he doesn't get his head bashed in.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The History section (esp. Early History & Evolution sections) does a pretty good job explaining why a game which today doesn't put much emphasis on "the foot" is called football. For those who don't want to click the link, in summary: The current game doesn't much resemble the game when it started in the late 1800's. Although the way the game is played changed dramaticly over the past 150 years, the name never did.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 16, 2014 23:04

The History section (esp. Early History & Evolution sections) does a pretty good job explaining why a game which today doesn't put much emphasis on "the foot" is called football. For those who don't want to click the link, in summary: The current game doesn't much resemble the game when it started in the late 1800's. Although the way the game is played changed dramaticly over the past 150 years, the name never did.

Interesting how much the game has changed. Thanks for the history link, MR. DJA. smileys with beer

Date: January 16, 2014 23:20

latebloomer

Interesting how much the game has changed. Thanks for the history link, MR. DJA. smileys with beer

Well, this seems to be a little bit off topic, ain't it? Besides it's a bit weird to read Americans explain the noble sport of soccer.

Date: January 16, 2014 23:26

latebloomer

You're very welcome latebloomer. After you posting that video yesterday, I'm gonna be in your debt for a while. Consider the link a down payment on what I owe!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 16, 2014 23:40

kleermaker
latebloomer

Well, this seems to be a little bit off topic, ain't it? Besides it's a bit weird to read Americans explain the noble sport of soccer.

Apologies for getting off topic. Note: The link I posted is for American Football NOT soccer at an international website. Maybe next time you should click the link and see if it actually gives you cause to insult Americans before doing so.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 17, 2014 01:16

mr_dja
kleermaker
latebloomer

Apologies for getting off topic. Note: The link I posted is for American Football NOT soccer at an international website. Maybe next time you should click the link and see if it actually gives you cause to insult Americans before doing so.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I seem to have mistaken football for soccer. Is that insulting Americans? I don't think so. But if so I am more than willing to apologize to all who feel insulted. Beware: apologize with a z and not an s, to spell the word properly.

Date: January 17, 2014 01:49

kleermaker
mr_dja
kleermaker
latebloomer

Peace,
Mr DJA

I seem to have mistaken football for soccer. Is that insulting Americans? I don't think so. But if so I am more than willing to apologize to all who feel insulted. Beware: apologize with a z and not an s, to spell the word properly.

Partly my fault for going off topic, but the whole thread is off topic, isn't it? Anyway, it's too late to apologize, Mr. Kleermaker....grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 17, 2014 02:12

About language: I guess Kleermaker means klädmakare (skräddare) since Swedish and Dutch are practically the same language. In English that means tailor which makes me
draw the following conclusion: Is that the reason why you are a Taylorite, Kleermaker?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 17, 2014 02:17

I thought the name had to do with logic, as in "makes every argument clear" or "maker of clarity".

Date: January 17, 2014 02:40

Stoneage
About language: I guess Kleermaker means klädmakare (skräddare) since Swedish and Dutch are practically the same language. In English that means tailor which makes me
draw the following conclusion: Is that the reason why you are a Taylorite, Kleermaker?

It's of course the other way round, Stoneage. But as for "practically the same language" I have to say that Swedish, Norwegian and Danish all sound very strange in my Dutch ears.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 17, 2014 02:49

They sound different but many words are very alike. I guess it's because it's the same language stock (Germanic). Dutch is closer to German though, of course.

Date: January 17, 2014 16:19

kleermaker
mr_dja
kleermaker
latebloomer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Is it weird to see a Dutchman attempting to explain English spelling rules? For such a limited language which, according to you, is: “not difficult at all for non-native speakers” you seem to be struggling on this page.

A couple of links for you:
Apology: Noun
Apologize: Verb – You may want to pay especially close attention to what it says about the alternate spellings on this one. It’s even right on topic for this thread. *(See note below)

In many cases, to spell a word properly, it is essential to know how the word is being used.

Peace,
Mr DJA

*After my lessons here over the past couple of days, I’m going to need a ruling from Big Al, Deltics, latebloomer or someone else who can tell us if the site is correct in using “British” as opposed to “English”. Based on the schooling I received here, I’m thinking they are, but will leave the official ruling to the experts!

Date: January 17, 2014 16:20

Stoneage
They sound different but many words are very alike. I guess it's because it's the same language stock (Germanic). Dutch is closer to German though, of course.

I wouldn't say that Dutch is closer to German. Remember I said it's very difficult for many Dutch to read and speak German a bit properly even if they had it as a lesson at high school. There are significant differences, regardless of the fact that German uses cases and Dutch doesn't. Some words that are almost the same have a total different meaning: for instance the German word 'schlimm' means bad, but the Dutch word 'slim' means intelligent. There are many other examples. Besides German people can't speak Dutch without a thick accent, whereas Danish can speak it as if they were Dutch (after some excercise of course). Finally both languages sound very differently.

Date: January 17, 2014 16:22

mr_dja
kleermaker
mr_dja
kleermaker
latebloomer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Is it weird to see a Dutchman attempting to explain English spelling rules? For such a limited language which, according to you, is: “not difficult at all for non-native speakers” you seem to be struggling on this page.

A couple of links for you:
Apology: Noun
Apologize: Verb – You may want to pay especially close attention to what it says about the alternate spellings on this one. It’s even right on topic for this thread. *(See note below)

In many cases, to spell a word properly, it is essential to know how the word is being used.

Peace,
Mr DJA

*After my lessons here over the past couple of days, I’m going to need a ruling from Big Al, Deltics, latebloomer or someone else who can tell us if the site is correct in using “British” as opposed to “English”. Based on the schooling I received here, I’m thinking they are, but will leave the official ruling to the experts!

Never heard of the word irony? Well I know it's more a British than an American thing. No offense intended (bweeew).

Date: January 17, 2014 16:38

latebloomer
kleermaker
mr_dja
kleermaker
latebloomer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Partly my fault for going off topic, but the whole thread is off topic, isn't it? Anyway, it's too late to apologize, Mr. Kleermaker....grinning smiley

It's never too late to apologize Bloomer, but as for me you never have to apologize. I simply never feel insulted by no one. smiling smiley

Date: January 17, 2014 18:22

kleermaker
latebloomer
kleermaker
mr_dja
kleermaker
latebloomer

Peace,
Mr DJA

It's never too late to apologize Bloomer, but as for me you never have to apologize. I simply never feel insulted by no one. smiling smiley

I'm much the same way. I come from eccentric stock, so there aren't many people that truly bother me.

But, I was making a stupid reference to the song, Kleerie, hence the emoticon. I should have included it, so here it is...

Date: January 17, 2014 19:12

latebloomer
kleermaker
latebloomer
kleermaker
mr_dja
kleermaker
latebloomer

Peace,
Mr DJA

I'm much the same way. I come from eccentric stock, so there aren't many people that truly bother me.

But, I was making a stupid reference to the song, Kleerie, hence the emoticon. I should have included it, so here it is...

Haha, that's really funny Bloomer! I didn't know that song, as you've understood. Also funny that we have something in common. Never let 'em trigger you. winking smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 17, 2014 19:14

latebloomer
Big Al
Natlanta

Well I could be wrong, but I think they named the sport football because they play it with a .... football! smoking smiley

Date: January 17, 2014 19:17

kleermaker

Never heard of the word irony? Well I know it's more a British than an American thing. No offense intended (bweeew).

I've heard of the word irony. I will assume that you weren’t referring to the adjective even though it may actually be more applicable here than the noun. Synonyms of the noun include sarcasm, and satire.

I've also heard of the word ignorant. Synonyms include uninstructed, untutored and untaught.

Although I realize that it's most likely to be a futile attempt on my part, I'm going to attempt to give you some advice: The next time you are considering posting the words "I know" and "America" (in ANY of their forms) in the same sentence… Stop. Just stop.

Peace,
Mr DJA
Out.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home