Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Brussels Affair
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 26, 2013 20:29

I never understood the title Brussels Affair. It happened also in Rotterdam, London etc. Taylor's Affair would be more adequate. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 26, 2013 20:34

The Solo Affair.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 26, 2013 20:45

His Majesty
The Solo Affair.

The Rolling Stones were the right guys at the right time, all of them. There is something in it for everybody. Period.

Date: December 26, 2013 20:56

LuxuryStones
His Majesty
The Solo Affair.

The Rolling Stones were the right guys at the right time, all of them. There is something in it for everybody. Period.

Very true, now, back to this other band that appeared during 1969 and ended in 1974. grinning smiley

lol at yor use of "Period".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-26 21:01 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 26, 2013 21:36

kleermaker
I never understood the title Brussels Affair.

Wasn't that title chosen because it was recorded during a live show in Brusssels ? That would explain the title, wouldn't it ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 26, 2013 22:42

His Majesty
LuxuryStones
His Majesty
The Solo Affair.

Very true, now, back to this other band that appeared during 1969 and ended in 1974. grinning smiley

Please continue, HM. smiling smiley

Date: December 26, 2013 23:18

LuxuryStones

widdle widdle

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 27, 2013 01:09

His Majesty
Eleanor Rigby

So it was more of a change in philosophy rather than a change in musicians which created a superior performance. Sure..having MT helped the band deliver quality..but I think you (HM) are underestimating your prodigal son..

The change in philosophy as you call it came about due to the nature and ability of Taylor, it was some what quite well balanced for a short while.

I still believe that with a fully fit BJ the Stones would have still performed a great US Tour in 69..
Jagger and Richards started to get fussy when 1969 came around. They became perfectionists..and wanted to play well in front of an audience (even by 1968 re RnR Circus). Sure they may have been inspired with what Taylor brought to the band, but they still would be tried to sound the best they could regardless to what guitarist they had.
things were changing...
By 1972 Taylor had assumed the soaring solo position...which Jagger was quite comfortable with. I do agree, however, that if you did like the less embellished style then by 1972 you may not have appreciated the sound.

Date: December 27, 2013 01:21

Eleanor Rigby

I still believe that with a fully fit BJ the Stones would have still performed a great US Tour in 69..

Of course they would.

Trying to sound your best was not a change, they always tried to sound their best.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: December 27, 2013 07:49

drbryant
Brussels Affair is the greatest live album in rock history. Inexplicably never officially released until a couple of years ago, and then unfortunately, only in either download or $750+ box sets.

In my opinion it's only the 3rd best live album even by the Stones. (Behind #2 LADIES & GENTLEMEN, and #1 YA-YA's.)

Coming off the disappointment and unevenness of GOAT'S HEAD SOUP, they were just beginning their long slow descent into showy irrelevance. Still playing well, but too ornate and with less interesting songs.

To each his own!

Date: December 27, 2013 10:25

Their fourth best, imo. After Ya Yas, Live In England 65 and Live In Texas 78.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2013 11:26

kleermaker
I never understood the title Brussels Affair. It happened also in Rotterdam, London etc. Taylor's Affair would be more adequate. tongue sticking out smiley

It was the title of a French documentary, named both 'Rolling Stones Expres' and 'Brussels Affair', and it showed French fans traveling to Brussels by train to see the Stones, as the Stones could not play France. The documentary shows footage of both Brussels shows, but with overdubbed sound.

Mathijs

Date: December 27, 2013 17:28

Eleanor Rigby

Going back to this for a second.

Take for example Stray Cat Blues as played here and most likely how it loosely would have been played in the what if world of a stones with a still functioning Jones touring in 1969.

Going by past live performances and styles etc Brians role in this would have been nothing more than just basic secondary rhythm guitar. Keith would have took the SCB solos. No Expectations would probably have been much the same, but with closer to studio version slide from Brian as per the R&R Circus.

Dealing with actual reality, I much prefer this take on Stray Cat Blues than the 1969 - 1970 tour versions. I have a soft spot for Hyde Park gig as a whole, so basic, ragged and raw. It would be really interesting to hear any of the rehearsals for this concert.

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: December 27, 2013 18:14

[/quote]

The Rolling Stones were the right guys at the right time, all of them. There is something in it for everybody. Period.[/quote]

Exactly thumbs up

Date: December 27, 2013 18:41

moonlightaffair

Exactly thumbs up

No, more a case of making the best of wonky situations with who ever was available. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 27, 2013 19:42

moonlightaffair

Exactly thumbs up

Nice nickname smiling smiley

Date: December 27, 2013 19:53

LuxuryStones

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 27, 2013 21:04

LongBeachArena72
drbryant
Brussels Affair is the greatest live album in rock history. Inexplicably never officially released until a couple of years ago, and then unfortunately, only in either download or $750+ box sets.

In my opinion it's only the 3rd best live album even by the Stones. (Behind #2 LADIES & GENTLEMEN, and #1 YA-YA's.)

Coming off the disappointment and unevenness of GOAT'S HEAD SOUP, they were just beginning their long slow descent into showy irrelevance. Still playing well, but too ornate and with less interesting songs.

To each his own!

Ya-Ya's is, of course, great; my only reservation being that it isn't really live.

I think cases could be made for many of the shows from that period, because as a band (despite what Mick seems to remember) they were tight and together most nights. Leeds, Ft. Worth, Newcastle, Rotterdam - all tremendous. As for the GHS tracks - those were the tracks that blew me away when I first heard Brussels, as they just smoked the studio versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-27 21:06 by drbryant.

Date: December 28, 2013 01:59

There are even overdubs on the Brussels Affair bootleg. Ya Yas is live, except for some of Mick and Keith's vocals and one guitar overdub, two tops.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 28, 2013 07:56

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 28, 2013 09:06

Yeah it's great all but for Taylor's overplaying just basically doing what he felt like that interfered with many of the tracks for mine.

The boot from Feb '73 Perth (Happy Birthday Nicky; Rocks Off; Will Keith Wake Up) is better in my opinion.

Date: December 28, 2013 10:43

DandelionPowderman
There are even overdubs on the Brussels Affair bootleg. Ya Yas is live, except for some of Mick and Keith's vocals and one guitar overdub, two tops.

So there are overdubs on the 1st Brussels show? I assume that they were done prior to broadcast? I would love to read anything that describes them - where are the overdubs? Horn parts perhaps? I've never heard an audience recording, so I have no reference point. Can anyone recommend a clean audience boot of Brussels 1? Thanks!

I think that one reason people feel Taylor "overplayed" in Brussels is that he is so prominent in the mix on the Brussels boot. A good example is the way the guitar overwhelms the horns on "Heartbreaker", when it should just be complementing the horn parts. It's a bit unnatural - I was only 12 years old when I saw them live in Honolulu in 73, but I remember that Taylor's guitar was loud and clear, whereas I had a hard time hearing Nicky on piano. I wonder who made the decision to mix the shows that way. Has there ever been any discussion from the band on this point?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-28 10:52 by drbryant.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 28, 2013 12:36

His Majesty
Eleanor Rigby

Going back to this for a second.

Take for example Stray Cat Blues as played here and most likely how it loosely would have been played in the what if world of a stones with a still functioning Jones touring in 1969.

Going by past live performances and styles etc Brians role in this would have been nothing more than just basic secondary rhythm guitar. Keith would have took the SCB solos. No Expectations would probably have been much the same, but with closer to studio version slide from Brian as per the R&R Circus.

Dealing with actual reality, I much prefer this take on Stray Cat Blues than the 1969 - 1970 tour versions. I have a soft spot for Hyde Park gig as a whole, so basic, ragged and raw. It would be really interesting to hear any of the rehearsals for this concert.

I sort of agree on some numbers being a tiny bit too polished during the tour but mostly because I dont enjloy Micks singing in 1969/1970, too Micky Mouse.

I love Knebworth and prefer it to Aux Les Abbatoirs.

Posted by: moonlightaffair ()
Date: December 28, 2013 17:24

LuxuryStones
moonlightaffair

Exactly thumbs up

Thanks. cool smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 28, 2013 20:14

HM - Certainly a matter of taste I find the 1969 Hyde Park show to be one of the worst gigs that the band ever played.

Date: December 28, 2013 20:25

slew
HM - Certainly a matter of taste I find the 1969 Hyde Park show to be one of the worst gigs that the band ever played.

grinning smiley

Date: December 28, 2013 20:25

Has anyone heard the official vinyl? I have an unsigned version of the box, but have never opened it, as I assume it isn't an improvement over the download. Anyone care to comment?

Date: December 28, 2013 21:46

Stones in the park is a rollercoaster: Brilliant to totally amateurish. In one word, lovely thumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 29, 2013 01:03

OzHeavyThrobber
Yeah it's great all but for Taylor's overplaying just basically doing what he felt like that interfered with many of the tracks for mine.

The boot from Feb '73 Perth (Happy Birthday Nicky; Rocks Off; Will Keith Wake Up) is better in my opinion.

for sure.
the aussie tour is amazing and well documented with good audience tapes and a few soundboards.
I prefer these performances to the euro 73 tour.
the perth show consists of an amazing Happy and Bitch...the shows are raw rock n roll at its finest.

Date: December 29, 2013 01:05

Eleanor Rigby
OzHeavyThrobber

for sure.
the aussie tour is amazing and well documented with good audience tapes and a few soundboards.
I prefer these performances to the euro 73 tour.
the perth show consists of an amazing Happy and Bitch...the shows are raw rock n roll at its finest.

As well as perhaps the best Rocks Off everthumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home