Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Would Bill Wyman have toured with the Stones if they offered him a bigger role?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 13, 2013 16:54

I've seen a couple of interviews conducted over the last year or so that seem to indicate that Bill Wyman would have been open to touring with the Stones if he was offered a more substantial role...It seems to me he wanted to take over full time duty on bass rather than accept the small role Mick Taylor has played thus far on tour.

Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-13 17:24 by James Kirk.

Re: Would Bill Wyman have toured with the Stones if they offered him a bigger role?
Date: December 13, 2013 16:57

He would have done a few shows only. At least, that's they way I understood him.

Re: Would Bill Wyman have toured with the Stones if they offered him a bigger role?
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: December 13, 2013 16:58

off course he would ve...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 13, 2013 17:43

its doubtful he'll be asked again ..he basically told them to piss off, after the last attempt..

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 13, 2013 17:51

He would only tour if he got to do an infomercial for his metal detectors during an intermission.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 13, 2013 17:59

I still don't really know why they didn't
offer Bill and for that matter Mick more time
playing.

I do agree that if Bill wanted to play and was WILLING to tour
then why not offer him a fulltime roll!

They still have to pay for their room, flights, food and the time.
Why not just use them?

It must be hard to get into playing and getting in your groove and then having to leave.

So if Bill would fly and go on tour then why not use him..

Still doesn't make any sense to have Mick play on 1 or 2 tracks and Bill on 2 tracks..

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 13, 2013 18:08

DandelionPowderman
He would have done a few shows only. At least, that's they way I understood him.

I once presented the same line of thinking as to Mick Taylor's limited role.

It was when I asked myself if there might exist an outright honourable and creditable reason behind such a decision in his case. I found that it possibly could. To open up for a fulltime presence for those two during only a few concerts, before they had shown in reality that they would continue to work with the band longer than for those few concerts, would be to lessen the relative importance of all future concerts. It would have meant to undermine the band and its existence. What motive, in case, could be more honourable than that?

If that line of thinking could hold true, we still don't know.

Edit: Correction of a stupid spelling error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-13 21:33 by Witness.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 13, 2013 18:17

Witness
DandelionPowderman

I once presented the same line of thinking as to Mick Taylor's limited role.

It was when I asked myself if their might exist an outright honourable and creditable reason behind such a decision in his case. I found that it possibly could. To open up for a fulltime presence for those two during only a few concerts, before they had shown in reality that they would continue to work with the band longer than for those few concerts, would be to lessen the relative importance of all future concerts. It would have meant to undermine the band and its existence. What motive, in case, could be more honourable than that?

If that line of thinking could hold true, we still don't know.
"The band must survive"... Seems to be key to their longevity.. Insightful post by Witness.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: December 13, 2013 18:50

I would love to see Bill on the entire tour.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: December 13, 2013 18:59

To have Taylor and Wyman play full-time you have to pay them full-time. Jagger ain't gonna spend the dough....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 13, 2013 19:06

James Kirk
I've seen a couple of interviews conducted over the last year or so that seem to indicate that Bill Wyman would have been open to touring with the Stones if he was offered a more substantial role...It seems to me he wanted to take over full time duty on bass rather than accept the small role Mick Taylor has played thus far on tour.

Any thoughts?

no - he wanted more of a role in the London 2012 shows. Not the same as a full tour.

I dont see how anyone still thinks its possible or realistic to get Wyman to commit to a full tour when its common knowledge that the man wont get on a plane.

He's also not really interested, musically.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 13, 2013 19:41

He did mention in several interviews that he would have been open to at least playing the Stones shows in NY/NJ last December, but it wasn't worth his time to play just two songs per show in the United States.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 13, 2013 19:49

He has said for years that he wasn't interested in a full tour, don't forget he is 77 now!

He did, as Gazza rightly pointed out, want a bigger role in the 50th anniversary celebrations in their home town. As a gigging musician, as many others on here will back me up, 2 songs and your just getting into the groove. To have a 'warm up' essentially as his spotlight, just like Taylor, is a bit of a piss take considering that both were hugely influential to the bands sound.

Wyman's complaints imo were justified, not really much involvement 2 songs. Not much of a recognition that he was one of the founders.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 13, 2013 21:28

Wyman is bitter, very bitter since 1993. Even before hand. He would of been a negative force on the tour.

Date: December 13, 2013 21:53

James Kirk
He did mention in several interviews that he would have been open to at least playing the Stones shows in NY/NJ last December, but it wasn't worth his time to play just two songs per show in the United States.

That's true, but he wasn't talking about more touring at all.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 13, 2013 22:11

I agree that he probably wanted a bigger role in the London shows. God knows why they couldn't pull that off. Such dickishness.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 13, 2013 23:48

24FPS
I agree that he probably wanted a bigger role in the London shows. God knows why they couldn't pull that off. Such dickishness.

It will be interesting to see what role if any he will participate in the upcoming Asian tour.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: December 14, 2013 00:11

He will be digging lost treasures in the ruins of Angkor.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 14, 2013 00:17

Nope.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 14, 2013 00:40

Yes of course. He said it himself.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 14, 2013 00:46

hot stuff
playing.

Why not just use them?

It must be hard to get into playing and getting in your groove and then having to leave.

Still doesn't make any sense to have Mick play on 1 or 2 tracks and Bill on 2 tracks..

Well, it's pretty simple: Forget terms and phrases like "old friendship", "sentimentality" or "for old time's sake" - this tour's tickets are extremely expensive, so the Stones are firing on all cylinders to sell them.

Mick Taylor and Bill were used as "teasers" to sell tickets, nothing more, nothing less. There are no artistic reasons for inviting them, it was a pure calculated business move.

Why they did not play more? Well,they are not allowed to get "too important", to gain a position that allows them to demand more than the core band is willing to give. So for one or two songs their participation is ok, but not more.

Wyman realized that his role was to play the useful idiot. That explains his bitterness.

Date: December 14, 2013 00:59

Redhotcarpet
Yes of course. He said it himself.

No, he was talking about the handfull of gigs they had booked.

Date: December 14, 2013 01:01

alimente
hot stuff
playing.

Why not just use them?

Well, it's pretty simple: Forget terms and phrases like "old friendship", "sentimentality" or "for old time's sake" - this tour's tickets are extremely expensive, so the Stones are firing on all cylinders to sell them.

Mick Taylor and Bill were used as "teasers" to sell tickets, nothing more, nothing less. There are no artistic reasons for inviting them, it was a pure calculated business move.

Why they did not play more? Well,they are not allowed to get "too important", to gain a position that allows them to demand more than the core band is willing to give. So for one or two songs their participation is ok, but not more.

Wyman realized that his role was to play the useful idiot. That explains his bitterness.

I'm not sure if they sold that many tickets.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 14, 2013 01:20

DandelionPowderman
alimente
hot stuff
playing.

Why not just use them?

No they did not, but I believe there still was that kind of strategy behind it, as it was to add two new songs to the latest greatest hits collection to get those people interested who might not been too thrilled about having the same old one, same old one once again. Anyway, the strategy made me purchace a concert ticket (but not GRRRR... though).

- Doxa

Date: December 14, 2013 01:48

Rollin92
He has said for years that he wasn't interested in a full tour, don't forget he is 77 now!

He did, as Gazza rightly pointed out, want a bigger role in the 50th anniversary celebrations in their home town. As a gigging musician, as many others on here will back me up, 2 songs and your just getting into the groove. To have a 'warm up' essentially as his spotlight, just like Taylor, is a bit of a piss take considering that both were hugely influential to the bands sound.

Wyman's complaints imo were justified, not really much involvement 2 songs. Not much of a recognition that he was one of the founders.

Yeah, but the band needed to rehearse for about six weeks for those few shows as they hadnt worked together for over five years.

Would he have been prepared to commit to all that just for a couple of shows?

Date: December 14, 2013 01:50

DandelionPowderman
alimente
hot stuff
playing.

Why not just use them?

they sold mine for starters!

I dont think they were used to sell tickets per se as the shows sold out pretty quick. Albeit largely thanks to ticket touts and brokers.

If anything, it helped shift a few of those tickets that were sitting unsold on viagogo and e-bay.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 14, 2013 01:55

Doesn't matter anymore. It's all history now. Perks is 77 years old now and is starting to look like it. I don't think he will ever play with the band again.
Here is the bunkum of today: Time waits for no one...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 14, 2013 03:31

Perhaps--if they let him front the band and sing, doing numbers only The Rhythm Kings would do.

Bill Wyman and His Rhythm Stones. I like that, and I would pay for a $3,000 VIP package just to witness it.

Date: December 14, 2013 03:40

Stoneage
Doesn't matter anymore. It's all history now. Perks is 77 years old now and is starting to look like it. I don't think he will ever play with the band again.
Here is the bunkum of today: Time waits for no one...

He could have played Glastonbury with them as he was there the same weekend. He didnt. That speaks volumes. The ship has sailed.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: December 14, 2013 05:35

Rollin92

I agree and add... that the Stones musically played it safe with song selections used for both Mick and Bill.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home