Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Billy Gibbons and the BB King Blues Club Review
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 24, 2013 20:38

I had a wonderful time and I'm not that big of a ZZ Top fan.

Only negative and not even that bad was that Billy took his sweet time getting on the stage. His band did a jam to warm up.

I didn't write the setlist down, so I'm just copying it from setlist.com.

1.Jam
2.?
3.Thunderbird (ZZ Top song)
4.I Thank You (ZZ Top song)
5.Foxey Lady (Jimi Hendrix cover)
6.Rock Me Baby (B.B. King cover)
7.?
8.Get Out My Life Woman (Lee Dorsey cover)
9.These Boots Were Made for Walking (Nancy Sinatra cover)
10.Sharp Dressed Man (ZZ Top song)
11.La Grange Play Video (ZZ Top song)
12.Shake Your Hips (Slim Harpo cover)
Encore:
13.Jailhouse Rock (Elvis Presley cover)

Once Billy was onstage, he was interactive with the crowd. He told some cool stories between songs. Like about hanging with Hendrix and BB King.

Some of the tunes they played did need a little more practice. An example was "These Boots...". In their defense, it was their first show. Still cool though.

Billy's guitar tone was nice and dirty/crunchy. Didn't see any pedals, just his Magnatone amp that is pictured below.

The second guitar player, on some songs, playing the Les Paul was very good and sounded fantastic.

If I didn't have tickets for the Bobby Keys thing. I would of tried to see them at the Winery.

The BB King Blues Club was great. The two doormen was just down right cool. I was seated at a table towards the back. I still had great sound and view. I walked around the place beforehand and I don't think there is a bad view, in that place.

I read bad reviews on the food and waitstaff. I was hungry though and ordered the filet mignon. It was a tasty and I didn't wait long. As a reference, I eat at Hyde Park Steakhouse in Pittsburgh around once a month and I love it there.

My waitress, Anne eye popping smiley, was superb. Anything I needed, boom, it was there. My cherry coke never hit empty. Place was busy too and she was on top of her game.

So if you get a chance to see a band at the BB King Blues Club, don't hesitate, GO!!!

Sorry for the poor quality pictures.

Did anyone see him play at the City Winery? Latebloomer, did you get to go?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-24 20:39 by MingSubu.

Re: OT: Billy Gibbons and the BB King Blues Club Review
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 24, 2013 22:53

The show at the winery was sold out, got on the wait list, but it was not meant to be. Very glad you had a grand time at this and the Bobby Keys show MingSubu, thanks for the pictures and review. I'm up in NYC fairly often now, so I'm sure I'll catch something good on one of those trips. I do very much want to check out the BB King club, just gotta plan ahead a little better. smileys with beer

Date: December 25, 2013 16:28

How was your trip to NYC? Do any shopping?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 26, 2013 22:39

Never knew any of those guys did anything solo, interesting.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 26, 2013 23:03

Trip was good MingSubu, some shopping, mostly just browsing shops and taking in the Holiday sights and sounds. I've got a college student there, so had to spend time helping her get her stuff together for winter break. Not so bad, when you have a dorm room view like this:

Oh to be young and living in Manhattan, eh? smiling smiley

Date: December 27, 2013 15:07

Nothing like New York around Christmas time. Almost fairy tail-ish in a way.

That is an awesome view. I love the city lights. I did the Top of the Rock, during the evening. I stayed up there for hours. Just so breathtaking.

Great place to be going to school too, very culturally wealthy. Must be a nice bittersweet moment. Your child growing up, but heading down the right path. Good luck to both of you. smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 27, 2013 19:41

was that will lee on bass ?

Date: December 27, 2013 20:25

Yes, Will Lee on bass. He played very well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1311
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home