Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Who recording sessions
Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: December 27, 2013 01:28

Is there any site where this information is available in the Web? Like Nzetgraf

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Re: OT: The Who recording sessions
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 27, 2013 03:07

I don't think anything like NZentgraf's site exists for The Who, but there is a site with a pretty comprehensive history of the band, and with lots of info on exact dates and places for various recording sessions therein at: [www.thewho.net]

Date: December 27, 2013 03:55

stonehearted
I don't think anything like NZentgraf's site exists for The Who, but there is a site with a pretty comprehensive history of the band, and with lots of info on exact dates and places for various recording sessions therein at: [www.thewho.net]

i use that site. good site.

hard to get an exact recording sessions since some stuff pete townshend would do on his own ended up being the foundation for the rest of the band to overdub parts on to

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: December 27, 2013 06:04

There is a great site that details all the guitars and dates that Pete smashed

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 27, 2013 15:14

FortuneTeller800
There is a great site that details all the guitars and dates that Pete smashed

And here it is. The majority of the smashings appear to have occurred in 1967 and 1968. He's done it only rarely in the 35 years since Keith Moon died, and not at all since 2004.

[www.thewho.net]

Date: December 27, 2013 15:18

One of the very last smashings. Jones Beach, New York. July 9, 2000.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 27, 2013 15:33

I saw a great 1 in 2002 @ the Gorge in Washington. Was the last stop on the tour leg that Entwistle passed away on. Pete was venting his frustration at the whole ordeal. Think he regretted it as it was 1 of his favorite guitars. They came out for the encore & Daltrey offered to get some glue & clamps to put it back together. It was way beyond that. I also saw the show where Pete rammed the whammy bar through his hand. 1 of the few shows that tour he played electric most of the show & was fantastic. Will never forget him pulling the bar back out & throwing the guitar across the stage.

Date: December 27, 2013 16:41

crholmstrom
I saw a great 1 in 2002 @ the Gorge in Washington. Was the last stop on the tour leg that Entwistle passed away on. Pete was venting his frustration at the whole ordeal. Think he regretted it as it was 1 of his favorite guitars. They came out for the encore & Daltrey offered to get some glue & clamps to put it back together. It was way beyond that. I also saw the show where Pete rammed the whammy bar through his hand. 1 of the few shows that tour he played electric most of the show & was fantastic. Will never forget him pulling the bar back out & throwing the guitar across the stage.

The one he broke in Japan in 2004 was auctioned off for charity and came with a signed affidavit from Pete, attesting to the fact that this would be the last guitar he would ever break. He's now sort of legally prevented himself from ever being able to break another one, even if he really, really felt like it.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 27, 2013 16:57

tatters
crholmstrom

The one he broke in Japan in 2004 was auctioned off for charity and came with a signed affidavit from Pete, attesting to the fact that this would be the last guitar he would ever break. He's now sort of legally prevented himself from ever being able to break another one, even if he really, really felt like it.
That's ok. @ his age it would be a little unseemly. Not quite the angry young man anymore!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 27, 2013 17:07

tatters

There's a post 2004 series of photos showing him smashing a guitar in his book though. grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 27, 2013 17:17

Pete and John recording at Stargroves (Jagger's house)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-27 21:10 by 2000 LYFH.

Date: December 27, 2013 20:50

The late great, Mr John Entwistle (RIP)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 27, 2013 23:16

Saw him smash his guitar at the Sundown Dec 73; Hammersmith Odeon Dec 75 and Shepherds Bush Empire Dec 1999. Must be something about December that makes him moody and aggressive.

Date: December 28, 2013 01:54

The only person I ever saw smash a guitar was Paul Stanley. Somehow, I got the impression that it wasn't entirely spontaneous.

Date: December 28, 2013 02:52

Stanley's (post-1970s) guitar smashing exposed as a fraud!

[www.jcfonline.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-28 02:58 by tatters.

Date: December 28, 2013 03:13

Pete has also smashed guitars as a solo act, once on the Dave Letterman show in 1993.

Posters on a Gibson guitar forum were up in arms about it (said one poster: 'If I were in the crowd I would have dashed up and slapped him right on his bald spot!'), because a Fender is one thing, but how dare he smash a Gibson....

Gibson forum responses to Pete's guitar smashing: [forum.gibson.com]

Date: December 28, 2013 18:10

At Stargroves - Entwistle, Moonie and Townshend. Dougal Butler (Full Moon) on left. Don't know who is next to Moon!

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 00:38

Back to the original topic, there was a pretty solid book about their recording/releases by John Atkins, but it was not a big release and is a bit hard to find and unfortunately has not been updated.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: December 29, 2013 01:00

Some info:

[badfinge.ipower.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-29 01:25 by 2000 LYFH.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: December 29, 2013 02:51

2000 LYFH
Some info:

[badfinge.ipower.com]

That's good! I was trying to find a list of recording dates, but sessions, not songs, to find bootlegs and listen to it. I have found a "Who by numbers Demos", and Nicky Hopkins play on that sessions. Another way to follow his work!

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Date: December 29, 2013 03:17

If you're looking for Who/Townshend demos and alternate albums as well as unreleased live stuff, lost of great bootlegs here: [cdcollection.fcpages.com]

I recommend the alternate/expanded version of their second album:

It's the original German edition of their second album plus stereo and mono mixes that are no longer available PLUS two Pete Townshend solo demos (Disguises and I'm A Boy). There is also an unreleased instrumental called Signal 30 and take 1 of the instrumental Batman.

I also recommend The High Numbers Live 1964 + 7, which includes a club gig from October 1964 (at Railway Hotel and Lounge, Wealdstone) plus their seven-track audition for EMI done at Abbey Road Studios that same month (on October 22, just 2 days after the Railway Hotel gig):

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 29, 2013 03:19

thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home