Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Sway"/"Time waits for no-one". Do you really want them?
Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: May 9, 2005 06:06

I guess it would be fair to say these two songs are the most eagerly awaited for the coming tour.

As for me, "Sway" is a masterpiece. I must admit that I'd rather not hear it live nowadays however.

Jagger's vox will never do the original any justice - missing those screeching vox in the final verse will be intollerable.
Also Taylor's work on that track for mine is even better than what he did on CYHMK - Ronnie isn't gonna cut it there and we all know that - so for those reasons I'd give it a miss.

TWFN is a wonderful song but I don't care for Taylor's work on this one much so Ronnie could do what he wanted with it as far as I'm concerned.

Also do people really want to hear Chuck doing his plink, plink during the outro piano solo?

I don't really think it would be a crowd grabber either.
I think that's the reason they've never bothered with it live.
But then they did revive "Sister morphine" and "Moonlight mile" and livewise they were a big mistake that they should have seen coming.

For me they can change the key by coming down a tone in "Soul survivor" and that might work as the new CYHMK for this tour.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Re: "Sway"/"Time waits for no-one". Do you really want them?
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 9, 2005 06:15

yes

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 9, 2005 06:31

If a majority of Stones fans want to hear these two, then I guess I'm in the minority.

Nothing could possibly match the quality of the original studio versions of these songs. If anything, all of us fans will be left with a bitter taste and feel short-changed, in the same way as last tour when Ronnie butchered Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

I say they should keep it simpler and throw in some long lost blues covers. Some Howlin' Wolf tunes for example. Lat night I watched the old b&w video clip of Howlin' Wolf with the Stones/fans sitiing on the steps of the stage. You can see how into it the Stones were, Brian was in awe, and especially Mick..who's jaw seemed to be dropping at the sight of the Wolf's virtuosity. He even leans over to Brian at one point to comment on the Wolf's genius harmoica solo and crazy hip movements.

I say it's time to pay back the respect and crank out some serious blues.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 9, 2005 06:34

And this "crank out some serious blues" is what's really going to make the whole tour really interesting. They are in the drivers seat....again.

Date: May 9, 2005 06:51

Hairball I'm in the minority too for the above reasons I gave.

I'm all in for bringing to the tour some songs that haven't been played live or are rarely played live, but like you I don't want them if the band won't do them justice.

I'd be in for songs like "She was hot", "She's so cold", "One hit" or "Hang fire" - songs more on the rocky side that I don't think they'd have any trouble with playing and doing justice to.

Mick pussys alot of vox these days so I don't hear him singing "Sway" any better than he sings YGMR, CYHMK, "Monkey man" or "Rocks off".

And I don't really expect the age thing re his voice.
McCartney, Bowie and Daltrey still scream their asses off and sound great.
Hell, even Bono's the age now that Mick was on the 89 tour and Bono still screams his butt off when the song requires it.
Mick by 89 was singing well within himself and has done ever since.

"Sway" needs to be sung by a voice with a real attitude, and Mick ain't ever gonna do that again.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: May 9, 2005 07:38

Monkey Man

I saw the Who in '79...on their last gasp of air. They were great way back then!

And I saw U2 in '83...On the brink of their stardom, but the beginning of the downward spiral.

Neither of these two examples matter when compared to the Stones.
They are either washed up (The Who)...or they are posers (U2).

Gimme the Stones any day, you can have the left-overs.

Date: May 9, 2005 08:10

I think you missed my point Hairball, Daltrey could sing for the Chipmonks and it wouldn't matter given the context of the comparison.

My point is that no matter who he, Bono, McCartney or Bowie sing for - they still go for the notes and don't back out of going for the note and then blame it on age.

That said I've never known Jagger to say that, but I know around these parts that it's generally accepted as being the reason Mick wooses out of screaming or going for higher and/or harder notes.

kyle m

Date: May 9, 2005 08:23

I got your point, and it's all valid in your opinion as far as I'm concerned.
But please...whatever you say...don't mention Bruce"The Boss" Springsteen as a comparison to the Stones.
The name alone makes we want to regurgitate.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 9, 2005 11:55

monkey man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I'd be in for songs like "She was hot", "She's so
> cold", "One hit" or "Hang fire" - songs more on
> the rocky side that I don't think they'd have any
> trouble with playing and doing justice to.

they gave up playing "One Hit" live in 1989 - because Keith couldnt hack it in concert.

They also had problems with it in the studio until Jimmy Page played the lead in a way Keith or Ronnie couldnt master.

They DIDNT 'butcher' CYHMK on the last tour. Every time I saw it it was superb. Some serious revisionism going around here, as most shows I saw reviewed people raved about it.

Theres no reason why they couldnt play Sway or TWFNOO or any song for that matter. It doesnt have to be a note for note copy of the original and still have some justice done to it.

Date: May 9, 2005 12:43

If you look back you'll notice I never said they butchered anything - let alone CYHMK.

It was a good version each time I heard it as well - Jagger's vox however cannot hack being aggressive thru the track when it's needed.

And I never said they couldn't (ie weren't capable of playing) play those above mentioned songs - or any song for that matter, just as I never said I was chasing 'note perfect'.

If you reread the above you will note my point for "Sway" is that if Jagger doesn't rip into the track with some gusto instead of singing/playing it safe - the song will lose alot of impact, and that being the case I'd rather they avoid doing it.

Just as I wished they had avoided doing "Rocks off" since 1973. Jagger's kick butt singing just isn't there.

Also Taylor's guitaring on that track ("Sway") was flawless - it gave something to the track - Ronnie will not be capable of mirroring that and we all know it.
Therefore imo the song would not go over well.

TWFN I mentioned would not be much of a crowd pleaser in that it isn't immediately catchy. Again that was my point - not that they wouldn't be capable of playing the f ucken thing.

As for the songs I mentioned - you picked "One hit" as being a possible problem. As for the studio comment - it bears no relevance as I am not interested in who played the lead. I am talking about it being played live on the forthcoming tour.

They dropped the idea of playing CYHMK many times around because it was too hard or some such reason. They brought that back on stage so why would the idea of bringing OH back to the stage be an issue?

They dropped "Shattered" after the first night of the the same tour as well cos it was apparently a mess. They've played it plenty of times since however on subsequent tours.

kyle m

Date: May 9, 2005 13:08

Apart from the correction over "One hit", Kyle - my comments werent directed at you, mate - but the tone of the thread in general. sorry if you got the wrong impression.

the band simply cant play "One hit" either in the studio or in concert. That was my point. they needed someone else to save it for them in the studio and dont have that luxury on stage. Personally, I thought it wasnt too bad when played live, but they did actually drop it because they werent satisfied with their inability to play it like they wanted

Posted by: Edith_Grove ()
Date: May 9, 2005 13:09

These were both one of the 3 i had previoulsy written on for a poll on this board !
I fully agree...

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: May 9, 2005 13:14

I think Let it Loose will suffer from the same problem as TWFN and Sway. It'll only diminisch it's classic status.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 9, 2005 14:25

I on't agree Rank about "Let it Loose". That one essentially a guitar song. The revolving guitarline is not hard to recreate live. If the keysignature is right fior Jagger he could wailk hius ass of on this one. It could be the "That's how strong" of the new tour.
Otherwise I agree with kyle. "Sway" and "Time" rely way too much on studio, Taylor, strings, melody to work live this late in the game. I'd rather not even hear it. I mean they could not even pull off "Torn and Frayed".
Stick to the rockers. "She was Hot" would be great. "Soul Survivor" maybe. Might suffer the same fate as "Rocks Off" a tune I feel has NEVER worked live. Anyone remember the version on LiveLix? Some/much older blues rockers. between the Buttons has some excellent rockers with melody on them. Or december's Children...but some on this board don't ventur firther back than SG.
Pity about "One Hit". Gazza, was that really the reason they droped it? About Keith?

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: May 9, 2005 15:05

Yes. But make sure Taylor's there to play on them! (And Wood can polish his guitar(s)...and put them on the stand ready for him). Oh, alright, let Wood play bass then.

Actually, listened ('by chance') to TWFNO in the last couple of days. Then checked credits on timeisonourside. MT on bass apparently. I think it's Keith!
Bill on synth.? (it says that too).

After not hearing it for ages, I thought.......this is the last totally amazing bit of music they did.......and noticed how 'involved' and special Charlie is, towards the end).

Then I tried to stop thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-09 15:46 by Deidre.

Date: May 9, 2005 15:15

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> > Pity about "One Hit". Gazza, was that really the
> reason they dropped it? About Keith?

yep. Pity. Its a song Ive always loved.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 9, 2005 15:52

Gazza Wrote:
> ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > Pity about "One Hit". Gazza, was that
> really the
> > reason they dropped it? About Keith?
>
> yep. Pity. Its a song Ive always loved.
>
>
>

I think it's a pity too. I'd like to know where you got the info about Keith and Ronnie not being able to play "One Hit" properly. It's a great song, but I don't really understand what part/s of it would be that difficult to perform that they've decided not to play it anymore.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 9, 2005 17:25

(speaking of Let It Loose) Everybody´s talking about this one; and its nice and cool and bluesy and rocky like almost every single track on Exile. But why dont we wish them to play Loving Cup; one of the Stones finest numbers ever imho.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 9, 2005 19:02

Wonder why they are pulling these two songs out of mothballs???
could it be another "zing" at Taylor for leaving??? Could Jagger be that petty

you bet'cha - MLC

Date: May 9, 2005 19:05

The Stones Wrote:
>
> I think it's a pity too. I'd like to know where
> you got the info about Keith and Ronnie not being
> able to play "One Hit" properly. It's a great
> song, but I don't really understand what part/s of
> it would be that difficult to perform that they've
> decided not to play it anymore.

read it in a few sources many years ago. I cant remember exactly where and when but I do recall Keith saying they had problems with it live and couldnt quite get it the way they wanted it.

I think the lead break is the problem. Maybe Keith's fingers arent up to the task these days anyway!

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: May 9, 2005 19:19

Jagger SINGS since 1989. And he sings really well.
McCartney has got a very thin voice, it doesnt sound really good.
Daltrey.Where is his voice? It is just terrible to hear him on the concert for NYC in 2001, for example.
Thaz´s why I love Jagger´s singing. For me he´s the only Rock´n´Roll singer who really SINGS & Dance!!!
So they should do Sway or TWFNO.
Caué the Stones are always better, if a songs sounds live another than the Studio version.
Most of the time (Except HTW)

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: May 10, 2005 00:54

MLC, do you really think so? They do have to include songs from all eras.

[p207.ezboard.com]

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 10, 2005 07:45

I was beginning to think She Was Hot or Flight 505 would've been the "fans' choice". Alas, maybe I'm in the boat alone.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 10, 2005 09:37

Jagger's singing has been getting increasingly flat in recent years and there's very little raw energy in his singing - which is what the Stones music should really be all about.Jagger puts on a spectacle these days but rarely really commits himself to any of the songs.
McCartney's singing on his last tour was far far more impressive - he actually pushed his voice, went for the notes and there was a real intensity in his performance.He can still do a fair Little Richard style scream too.Many of McCartney's performances from the last tour actually really do stand up in their own right - unfortunately that's rarely true of Jagger and the Stones. You can rarely determine the real value of a Stones song these days based on the way it's performed.

Date: May 10, 2005 12:07

I have the One Hit - version from Toronto 89. I don´t think it´s a bad version at all. Ronnie plays the lead break beautifully, the only problem is Keith, actually - he messes up the rhythm several times. Jagger sings like a god.

For Sway, I think Ronnie should go for the lap steel guitar. Keith plays the simple open-G guitar that Mick played on the studio recording - it works!

Date: May 10, 2005 12:28

The definite & ultimate & optimal Jagger vocal live effort is Out On Bail 1978 imho:
Too much sugar on the Frosties that morning? Hear for example All Down The Line, Love In Vain or - best - Street Fighting Man. Awesome. Jagger has not done much like it during all his years; the only comparison material I can come up with is the earliest recordings (or "I´m Going Down", "I Dont Know Why" from 69) or on the whole tracks from the studio recordings & acetates during the 1969-73-period (e.g. Monkey Man, GS, LIV, DDDDD (H), Star Star or Silver Train). Just opinions; but on 1978 and OOB I s'pose someone will agree...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 10, 2005 12:49

Hey Baboon what about Street Fightin' Man, Brussels 1973...where the band almost push Jagg's over the edge, but he clings like a mad man then steps aside and lets the band blow out ... a truely amazing performance. Play Loud!!

ROCKMAN

Date: May 10, 2005 13:45

Edward, take a look at the MSG disc (FF). Mick pushes all the way on Angie... especially when he sings "i hate that sadness in your eyes"... the same for Let it Bleed and Monkey man for example. I love it when he sings "we love to play the blues".

Chelsea, Let it Loose might be my favorite stones song. Jagger delivers one of his strongest vocals period on the original. If they can do it justice on the new tour, i'd lovveeeeeeeeeeeee to see it. I'm just wondering if they still know how to play it like that. Both Lisa and Bernard have to do some amazing backing vocals as well.

Date: May 10, 2005 13:55

Rockman Wrote:
> Hey Baboon what about Street Fightin' Man,
> Brussels 1973...where the band almost push Jagg's
> over the edge, but he clings like a mad man then
> steps aside and lets the band blow out ... a
> truely amazing performance. Play Loud!!
>
> ROCKMAN

- Whats the title of that? "Brussels 73" or something catchier?

Date: May 10, 2005 13:58

Baboon, are you kidding me?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home