Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ron Wood - Mick Taylor an unlikely pair???
Date: November 2, 2013 12:43

kleermaker
DoomandGloom
For decades Stones fans have discussed the merits of Wood replacing Taylor who slashed and burned historic licks during the groups heydays. Woody has had to endure endless public comparisons not always kind to him yet here he is touring with Taylor showing what a true gent he is. Wood's magnanimous soul explains why he continues to be one of rock's coolest personalities and proves how little we know about what's behind the scenes...

Personality or friendship has nothing to do with being a good (Stones) guitarist. Wood has never been able to replace Taylor, he's simply not in his league as a guitar player and musician.

The so called three guitar attack has been tried on Midnight Rambler during the last tour (and some Satisfactions as well). To my taste one guitar too many. Taylor and Richards on MR would have been enough. Taylor wouldn't fit in on the other songs with Wood and Keith regarding the way they play them (studio versions). In a more free concept it would be possible, but also then I would prefer only Richards and Taylor. Which won't happen as we know.

They obviously wanted a different type of guitarist, not to replace Taylor.

The musical landscape changed, and they got a guitarist with a broader set of qualities with Ronnie, although Taylor's solos were wonderful.

The focus on rhythm saved the Stones in the late 70s, imo.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 2, 2013 13:27

...or maybe they both (Wood and Taylor) are/were only the second guitarist in the Stones and have/had not much to say. They recognise their similarities of their possition in the band and have a lot of fun together outside the Stones (where they can do what they want)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-02 13:28 by GJV.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 2, 2013 13:34

vertigojoe
24FPS
What a load. Mick Taylor elevated the Stones to an incredible musical zenith. Ron Wood brought back some funkiness, and he has been better since laying off the bottle. Period. IMHO.

The title of this thread is Ron Wood - Mick Taylor and unlikely pair? No. They are both members of an extremely exclusive fraternity. They are 2 of only 6 people that the world knows as the Rolling Stones.

Jones/Jagger/Richards/Wyman/Watts/Taylor/Wood. That's it.

I make that seven..

I think he means living...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2013 13:35

c.f. my post page 8 of Ronnie's Shoesfest gig. (before I noticed this your post)

Hey Yeah just checked it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 2, 2013 18:18

Ronnie just loves playing. He doesn't have any chip on his shoulder and doesn't care who is better or worse. This is what is so great about him. He and Mick Taylor have know each other and played together many many times in the last 30+ years. Mick Taylor bought into the hype he was the white Hendrix and he simply wasn't. In a solo vs. song battle the song always wins.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 2, 2013 18:29

crholmstrom
Maybe Ronnie had more to do with Mick Taylor coming back than we know.

And Jagger - Jagger fx. included him on Exile Deluxe. Jagger was also ready to take Mick T back in 1977/78 after the possibility of Keith being put in jail. Jagger indeed asked Mick T.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2013 18:57

exhpart
vertigojoe
24FPS
What a load. Mick Taylor elevated the Stones to an incredible musical zenith. Ron Wood brought back some funkiness, and he has been better since laying off the bottle. Period. IMHO.

The title of this thread is Ron Wood - Mick Taylor and unlikely pair? No. They are both members of an extremely exclusive fraternity. They are 2 of only 6 people that the world knows as the Rolling Stones.

Jones/Jagger/Richards/Wyman/Watts/Taylor/Wood. That's it.

I make that seven..

I think he means living...

No. There's only been one Jones in the Rolling Stones. The Jones you're thinking about is a hired hand.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 2, 2013 19:06

24FPS

They are 2 of only 6 people that the world knows as the Rolling Stones.

You listed 7 people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-02 19:07 by His Majesty.

Date: November 2, 2013 19:10

Rokyfan

this seems so obviously true, nobody could quarrel with it. Without Mick, Keith or Charlie the Rolling Stones would end.

The real thing ended in 1969. grinning smiley

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: November 2, 2013 19:18

I'm hoping these guys can continue on with the band as a recording entity, or at least do some shows together like they are currently doing. I would love to see this but I'm outside of Detroit and I doubt they'll stretch the tour out this far. :-(

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 2, 2013 19:32

Mathijs
kleermaker

Wood has never been able to replace Taylor, he's simply not in his league as a guitar player and musician.

Without a doubt, Wood was a much, much better musician on this 2012/2013 tour than Taylor.

Mathijs

Had Taylor been integrated into the band and allowed to play on the songs on which he was on the original studio recording (as opposed to be used as a "guest") the assesment would be quite different. Having Wood play on All Down The Line while Taylor watched from behind the drums was a travesty.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 2, 2013 19:56

His Majesty
Rokyfan

this seems so obviously true, nobody could quarrel with it. Without Mick, Keith or Charlie the Rolling Stones would end.

The real thing ended in 1969. grinning smiley

So sorry for you being so young tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 2, 2013 20:03

An unlikely pair? Not at all. They have known each other for nearly 50 years, come from not dis-similar musical backgrounds, have been in on of the best bands of all time and come from the same city and cultural. Their guitar styles are different of course, but it is that difference that would would make them a good musical pair, much in the same way Mick and Keith were back in the day...

Date: November 2, 2013 20:15

kleermaker

You didn't see the real thing either. winking smiley

Date: November 2, 2013 20:43

His Majesty
kleermaker

You didn't see the real thing either. winking smiley

But you don't need to feel sorry for me!

Date: November 2, 2013 20:48

kleermaker

Oh yes I do! You cold have saw them, but didn't. grinning smiley

Date: November 2, 2013 20:50

His Majesty
kleermaker

So you feel sorry for me while I'm not feeling sorry for myself. grinning smiley

Date: November 2, 2013 20:51

kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

So you feel sorry for me while I'm not feeling sorry for myself. grinning smiley

Yah don't need to feel sorry for me either then.

Date: November 2, 2013 20:57

His Majesty
kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

Yah don't need to feel sorry for me either then.

Oh yes I do! You couldn't see them at all.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2013 21:03

His Majesty
24FPS

They are 2 of only 6 people that the world knows as the Rolling Stones.

You listed 7 people.

Sorry.

Date: November 2, 2013 21:04

kleermaker

It's worse that you could have, but didn't. >grinning smiley<

Date: November 2, 2013 21:14

His Majesty
kleermaker

In fact I was too young at that time. But I'm glad I saw the second incarnation in its full glory.

Date: November 2, 2013 21:20

kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

In fact I was too young at that time. But I'm glad I saw the second incarnation in its full glory.

How young? 10, 12? That's not too young.

1969 - 2013, same shit really ie not the real thing. grinning smiley

Date: November 2, 2013 21:26

His Majesty
kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

How young? 10, 12? That's not too young.

1969 - 2013, same shit really ie not the real thing. grinning smiley

12 in 1967. Too violent in those days. Even in 1973 I saw guys running around with long sticks, just a couple of meters from my seat. I was a small and peaceful boy you know. Not used to fight with my fists.

Anyway, 1973 was so much better than 1976 and later (saw them in 1982 for the last time).

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 3, 2013 00:10

Now that the 50 & Counting tour is evidently done, I think that Ron Wood, out of friendship, is trying to keep Mick Taylor close to The Stones camp with collaborative gigs until Stones touring plans are finalized for 2014, so that Mick T won't have to return to the undignified grind of schlepping about with small, non-lucrative club tours around the world, which might be quite a comedown after having spent several months of having revisited the glory of arena touring with The Stones.

Then Ronnie can put in the good word to Mick J about Taylor perhaps continuing on with Stones cameos in concert and maybe even being handled by Stones management.

I inquired in another thread [www.iorr.org] whether Mick T was still being managed by his drummer Jeff Allen, and someone answered that no, this arrangement was no longer in place.

So to keep gigs and money coming in, Mick T needs new management, and Ronnie--who has long served as a capable middle man in The Stones in between Mick and Keith--just may be serving as a temporary manager and arranger of gigs for Mick T now and may act as the go-between when it comes time to discuss the next round of plans for the band.

Date: November 3, 2013 00:31

kleermaker
12 in 1967. Too violent in those days. Even in 1973 I saw guys running around with long sticks, just a couple of meters from my seat. I was a small and peaceful boy you know. Not used to fight with my fists.

Anyway, 1973 was so much better than 1976 and later (saw them in 1982 for the last time).

I can dig that, those 67 shows look nuts.

Date: November 3, 2013 01:03

stonehearted
Now that the 50 & Counting tour is evidently done, I think that Ron Wood, out of friendship, is trying to keep Mick Taylor close to The Stones camp with collaborative gigs until Stones touring plans are finalized for 2014, so that Mick T won't have to return to the undignified grind of schlepping about with small, non-lucrative club tours around the world, which might be quite a comedown after having spent several months of having revisited the glory of arena touring with The Stones.

Then Ronnie can put in the good word to Mick J about Taylor perhaps continuing on with Stones cameos in concert and maybe even being handled by Stones management.

I inquired in another thread [www.iorr.org] whether Mick T was still being managed by his drummer Jeff Allen, and someone answered that no, this arrangement was no longer in place.

So to keep gigs and money coming in, Mick T needs new management, and Ronnie--who has long served as a capable middle man in The Stones in between Mick and Keith--just may be serving as a temporary manager and arranger of gigs for Mick T now and may act as the go-between when it comes time to discuss the next round of plans for the band.

And what do Taylor's manager think of this?...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 3, 2013 01:07

DandelionPowderman

This is based on the premise that Mick Taylor is no longer being managed by Jeff Allen, according to the answer to my query on the subject in the thread I referenced in my post. That's all I have to go on.

Is Mick T still being managed by Jeff Allen as far as you know?

Date: November 3, 2013 01:19

Ask svt22, but dont expect a straight answer. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-03 01:21 by His Majesty.

Date: November 3, 2013 01:54

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

This is based on the premise that Mick Taylor is no longer being managed by Jeff Allen, according to the answer to my query on the subject in the thread I referenced in my post. That's all I have to go on.

Is Mick T still being managed by Jeff Allen as far as you know?

As far as I know Jeff was sacked by the current manager. But it is a delicate subject, I've heard...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home