Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ryan Adams
Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: November 3, 2013 02:15

great artist.

Posted by: bitman ()
Date: November 5, 2013 18:03

Ryan has long been a favorite of mine. His songwriting is quite prolific and his vocals and musical skills are continually improving. He kicked alcohol and smoking a few years back and ever since the vocals have been nothing short of amazing since.

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: November 7, 2013 10:26

bluesinc.
FortuneTeller800
bluesinc.
adotulipson
I love this guy,though he can be inconsistant,he is very active in his release of material as well.
I think I might have most of his output but you can never be sure he has not put out something that you missed.
My favourite album of his is Gold,theres are so many good to great songs on it and my copy is a 2CD issue,Nobody Girl is fantastic.
The video of New York New York the lead single of that album was apparently shot on the weekend before 9/11.
Check out Demolition too one of his so called throw away albums,these songs were regarded as demos hence the title.
Heartbreaker another fine album,check out the whole catalouge if you can work out what is available and in what format.
I regard Gold as one of my all time favourites alongside Blonde on Blonde and Let it Bleed ,thats how good I personally feel about it.

i have everything released except his last live lp boxed set. it counts about over 30 albums..., then i have about 10 unreleased full mixed albums....
Bluesinc, these last 10 albums- are these live boots? Or something else? I am a big RA fan too, have all his stuff, but not unreleased. Can i find them?

i´m at work right now but i´ll recall it for you; three chapters:
1) his official records (ncluding the two FINGERS Lps and the ORION LP) plus all the b sides & compilation tracks , they alaone make 5 to 6 full cds.
2) albums relased on his website (streaming or dl, like SAD DRACULA, WARREN PEACE etc i think about 25 (really but many of them are really rubbish...)
3) mostly ready for release or mixed or something like that, i think you meant these:
Exile on Franklin Street (recorded before Heartbreaker)
Destroyer (before Heartbreaker)
Suicide Handbook (before Gold)
48 Hours (recorded shortly after Gold)
Swedish Sessions
Pinkheaerts Sessions
Pinkhearts Sessions two (Pinkhearts, Swedish & 48 make Demolition)
Elizabethtown Sessions
this is what comes to my mind right now.....

there´s a ryanadamsarchive on the web where you can find all these albums, search ynd you´ll have them quick. there was a box set in the making 20/20 but ryan scrapped it after the cardinals split, so...

Bluesinc - thank you very much for this answer. I don't come here that often; woulda thanked you sooner. I have my work cut out for me.
I don;t come here that often

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 7, 2013 11:50

mrsoandso
If you're not familiar with Ryan's old band Whiskeytown, check them out.
Their album Strangers Almanac is a good place to start.

RA is brilliant...really...highlight albums for me are Strangers Almanac with his first real band Whiskeytown and solo album Love Is Hell - sometimes a complete album but originally released as 2 albums: Part 1 and Part 2. Can be a bit erratic live and seems to release every fart he records but, for me at least, a genius

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: November 15, 2013 20:11

What do people think of Whiskeytown, the reviews on amazon are overwhelmingly good. I may have to dig into this band.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 18, 2013 16:11

whiskeytown is also great, you have more of a rocky band feeling there

OT: New Ryan Adams with Johnny Depp
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 3, 2014 01:11

Has anyone heard the new Ryan Adams songs, one of them has Johnny Depp on guitar and both are great songs. Loved them on first listen. What an amazing songwriter and musician Ryan Adams is.

Re: OT: New Ryan Adams with Johnny Depp
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 3, 2014 03:45

Where did you hear his new stuff? What are the titles?

OT: Ryan Adams - 'Gimme Something Good'
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 3, 2014 04:50

[www.amazon.com]

7" of 'Gimme Something Good' from RA's forthcoming album was released yesterday. B-side 'Aching For More' features Depp on guitar.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 3, 2014 05:55

Going to give Ryan Adams a try. What album should I start with?

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: July 3, 2014 06:18

JohnnyBGoode

Start with Gold, it`s his masterpiece.

Posted by: ripthisjoint908 ()
Date: July 3, 2014 07:08

Gold is way too long. Its about 60% good. I'm a big Adams fan who knows every record. Start with Heartbreaker.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 3, 2014 11:15

Heartbreaker is his best album (in my and many others' opinion) but Gold may be a better introduction because it's more diverse with more rock and pop.

If you're already into country á la Gram Parsons, start with Heartbreaker.

If you're more into rock and pop, Gold is probably easier to get into.

The rest is more hit and miss, but I like most of it. His last album, Ashes & Fire, was touted as a sort of comeback, and it's really good, I think.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 3, 2014 11:41

JohnnyBGoode

Love Is Hell (part 1 and Part 2) although I believe they were eventually re-released together. Or Strangers Almanac from his early band Whiskeytown

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: July 3, 2014 14:01

Love the new single and the B-sides show just how special his new album is going to be when they are not included!

Aside from The Stones, Ryan is my favorite artist. I was lucky enough to have caught Whiskytown in the 90's and have followed Ryan right from the very start.

My order of studio albums (most liked being top) is as follows. Please, this is just my personal preference!

Love is Hell (Part one and Two)
Cold Roses
Ashes and Fire
Heartbreaker
Easy Tiger
Gold
Cardinology
Rock N Roll
Demolition
Jacksonville City Nights
III/IV
Orion (I love the fact that he made a heavy metal album though...and I own a copy!)

Then you have the Whiskytown but that is another list altogether. Pneumonia is a masterpiece though!

I cannot wait for the new album in September and European tour that will follow...

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: July 3, 2014 14:06

I read a funny interview where Ryan said Whiskeytown were recording their final album 'Pneumonia' in the same studio at the same time as the Stones were recording BTB.
He said he would bump into Keith in the bathroom at the same regular intervals because they were obviously drinking the same amounts. Keith would often remark "It's like rush hour in here" and laugh with him.

Anyway I would recommend to start with that Whiskeytown album or 'Strangers Almanac' and both 'Heartbreaker' and then 'Gold'.

Posted by: ripthisjoint908 ()
Date: July 3, 2014 15:17

exhpart
JohnnyBGoode

Love Is Hell (part 1 and Part 2) although I believe they were eventually re-released together. Or Strangers Almanac from his early band Whiskeytown

Love Is Hell (full album) is his best release but its not a start in my mind. Its the most off record of his. Nothing else in his canon sounds like that. Starting with Whiskeytown is a good idea if you don't want to start with Heartbreaker. They are in my top 3 favorite bands for sure.

Date: July 3, 2014 16:05

My advice is to try and buy Love is hell separately as parts 1 and 2. Depending on your version (Uk/Jap etc) you get up to 7 extra tracks including the amazing Halloween.

Date: July 3, 2014 20:48

petewasbristol-

Funny you have Love as Hell as your favorite. I have only been into Ryan Adams just the past few years and I have listened to pretty much everything in his released catelog and that is the one I listen to the least. Just downloaded a bunch of his unreleased music and can't believe how much there is of it.

Got tickets to see him at Belly Up in Aspen, can't wait.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: July 3, 2014 21:15

One of the best shows I did see was Ryan Adams in Paradiso around 2001 (?) during the GOLD release. He played for three hours. A magic show. He wore a Rolling Stones 1978 Tour(!) T-shirt that night.
I lost interest in him later but Heartbreaker and WhiskeyTown are great albums.

Date: July 3, 2014 23:50

Hound Dog
petewasbristol-

Funny you have Love as Hell as your favorite. I have only been into Ryan Adams just the past few years and I have listened to pretty much everything in his released catelog and that is the one I listen to the least. Just downloaded a bunch of his unreleased music and can't believe how much there is of it.

Got tickets to see him at Belly Up in Aspen, can't wait.

I'm actually tempted to come over to the States to see him, but i'm holding off for a European tour. Hard to resist though! Enjoy Aspen!

I prefer Love is Hell part one on its own to be honest. It just flows beautifully. Especially with the bonus tracks. For someone who is 40, his musical output is insane. The fact that he suffers from Ménière's disease is even more astounding.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 4, 2014 01:48

The lyrics of that song about Keith, seriously? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 4, 2014 06:36

Cold Roses was one of those albums I couldn't get out of my head, in the best way possible.

Date: July 4, 2014 21:27

Cold Roses is also one of my favorites, love his stuff with the Cardinals. I really enjoy the guitar playing and backing vocals of Neal Casal. His work as co-writer with Chris Robinson in the Brotherhood is very good.

I expect a larger scaled tour so you should get to see him at some point in Europe. I live in Colorado so I was so happy to score tickets to see him at a venue that only holds 300 people. I'll wear a Stones shirt to that show.

Date: July 5, 2014 10:34

The last tour was just him a guitar, a piano and a harmonica. It was stunning. I wonder what he will do for this tour as apparently the album has a definite electric feel about it (the new single indicates that). Let us know how the show goes Hound Dog. Very exciting stuff cool smiley

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 6, 2014 22:16

Belly Up Aspen is a great venue, its tiny and is a great room sound wise. Very lucky you get to see him there, I'm jealous.

OT: Ryan Adams
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 28, 2014 18:15

stonesy looking dude

Ryan Adams a good Stonesy look even the drummer looks a bit Charlie-ish..

Adams has done good work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-28 20:10 by bv.

Re: stonesy looking dude
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 28, 2014 18:33

ya gotta be kidding me ?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 28, 2014 18:38

about what?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2014 19:07

Ryan Adams is cool. I have two great albums by him - Gold and Heartbreaker. He's a huge Stones fans as well as Gram Parson. Can't go wrong with him if you like Stones style country rock.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2186
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home